Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 18:55   #526
BHPian

Re: Michelin Energy XM1+ & Bridgestone Turanza ER-60....The Best Allrounders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Pirellis are generally made of a soft compound, so they may not cope with the bad roads well. I would suggest you stick to A drives, Turanzas, or XM2s for bad roads.
I prefer the Yoko for their VFM. Will they survive the abuse well?

Saw quite a few people advising Turanzas for rough use, but have Bridgestone B250 currently on Fusion and not a big fan. Also they are heavier as said somewhere in the thread. Don't want them but will go for those if they really are much better than the others.

Will XM2 be worth it inspite of higher cost? Are they more grippy, quieter and better in general than Yokos? Will they take moderate abuse?
Old 21st February 2013, 11:27   #527
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
I prefer the Yoko for their VFM. Will they survive the abuse well?

Saw quite a few people advising Turanzas for rough use, but have Bridgestone B250 currently on Fusion and not a big fan. Also they are heavier as said somewhere in the thread. Don't want them but will go for those if they really are much better than the others.

Will XM2 be worth it inspite of higher cost? Are they more grippy, quieter and better in general than Yokos? Will they take moderate abuse?
Bridgestone B250 is crappy OEM tyres. Don't compare them to Turanzas. I think you should still go with Turanzas, though A Drives will probably take most of what you put in front of them.

The XM2s I hear they have made the compound harder, so its not going to offer a much better or silent ride over the others. Take your pick
Old 21st February 2013, 12:08   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Bridgestone B250 is crappy OEM tyres. Don't compare them to Turanzas. I think you should still go with Turanzas, though A Drives will probably take most of what you put in front of them.

The XM2s I hear they have made the compound harder, so its not going to offer a much better or silent ride over the others. Take your pick
Well XM2s are nor available in the size I want at least on Michelin site.

As far as I see it I think I'l pick whichever turns out to be the cheapest!!
Old 21st February 2013, 12:15   #529
BHPian

Quote:

I got the XM2s recently and am using yoko a-drives as well bridgestone turanzas . The XM2s are super silent in the lot.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:35   #530

I got a new Honda Brio this wednesday and on the same day got the default MRF tyres swapped with Bridgestone ER60. The odo read 50kms at the time of changing tyres. The difference amount I paid was 10k.
I am pretty much a noob in this matter so can someone please let me know did I get a good deal or was I over-charged.
Old 23rd February 2013, 17:45   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus View Post
I got a new Honda Brio this wednesday and on the same day got the default MRF tyres swapped with Bridgestone ER60. The odo read 50kms at the time of changing tyres. The difference amount I paid was 10k.
I am pretty much a noob in this matter so can someone please let me know did I get a good deal or was I over-charged.
The tyres usually have a price variation of atleast 300-400 between cities. So a good deal in one city/state might not be considered good in a different state as the rates might be cheaper there.

Sometimes, you end up spending more than the savings by checking out the price of the tyre in various shops in your city. You may feel you got the tyres for less but you might have spent more than that on petrol while hunting around the town for the best price.

Personal opinion: If you've already paid and swapped the tyres, there is no point in checking now whether you got a good deal or not as there is nothing you can do about it now. Even if it is not the best deal, difference might be max 1-2k, which is not a big deal considering you would be using better tyres over the next 3 years. Last thing you want is to have a good set of tyres and still feel disappointed that you could have got it slightly cheaper.
Old 16th July 2013, 13:49   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus View Post
Well Argus, the ER60's are good tyres and tough. Ive had them on my Octavia for 2 years. I can't comment on the cost but swapping on to good tyres when your car is new is the best thing you can do for a new car. I suspect Michellins XM1 being lighter and stickier, would have been more suitable for a small car like the Brio than the Bridgestones.

Last edited by rxpaul : 16th July 2013 at 13:55.
Old 22nd July 2013, 11:39   #533
BHPian

I am not replying to anyone in particular; I have been using ER60 for the last 20K kms, no punctures or cuts yet. My usage is 50% city / 30% state highways / 20% unpaved roads, so you can imagine the harsh
conditions. Previously I had XM1+ and MRFs on two other cars. Both were fraught with puncture and other issues. Can't really blame MRF because they were run on very bad roads but the Michelins' were run on much better roads, yet they gave up.

Last edited by Chewbacca : 22nd July 2013 at 11:46.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:57   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I am not replying to anyone in particular; I have been using ER60 for the last 20K kms, no punctures or cuts yet. My usage is 50% city / 30% state highways / 20% unpaved roads, so you can imagine the harsh
conditions. Previously I had XM1+ and MRFs on two other cars. Both were fraught with puncture and other issues. Can't really blame MRF because they were run on very bad roads but the Michelins' were run on much better roads, yet they gave up.
Which car do you own? Is there any significant drop in the average mileage?
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:29   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
Which car do you own? Is there any significant drop in the average mileage?
I have given up checking fuel consumption. Based on past experience I have learnt that it does not really matter. There are simply too many variables involved in determining the correct difference in milage.

Cars owned:
Mitsubishi Lancer (2001) clad with Turanza ER60 (20K kms). Previously had XM1+ and before that Bridgestone S248 tubed tyres that came stock.

Alto K10 (2011) - clad with MRF ZVTS (stock) / replaced damaged tyres with same make. This car always runs on bad (rural) roads.

ANHC (2011) - clad with XM1+ (stock) / used in city and on highways only.
Chewbacca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:45   #536
BHPian

Quote:
I have given up checking fuel consumption. Based on past experience I have learnt that it does not really matter. There are simply too many variables involved in determining the correct difference in milage.

Cars owned:
Mitsubishi Lancer (2001) clad with Turanza ER60 (20K kms). Previously had XM1+ and before that Bridgestone S248 tubed tyres that came stock.

Alto K10 (2011) - clad with MRF ZVTS (stock) / replaced damaged tyres with same make. This car always runs on bad (rural) roads.

ANHC (2011) - clad with XM1+ (stock) / used in city and on highways only.
So I believe there is hardly any noticeable difference. If there has been a drop of say 2Km, say with the Lancer you should be really noticing it as its a marginal difference for that car.
Old 30th July 2013, 10:28   #537
BHPian

Quote:
Cars owned:
Mitsubishi Lancer (2001) clad with Turanza ER60 (20K kms). Previously had XM1+ and before that Bridgestone S248 tubed tyres that came stock..
Hi Chewbaca,
How would you rate grip and tyre noise of the ER60 vs the XM1 ?
Old 4th August 2013, 20:41   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
How would you rate grip and tyre noise of the ER60 vs the XM1 ?
I did not feel much difference when they were new. I believe, all tyres offer excellent grip and low noise when they are new. The real difference starts to show after 2000~5000 Kms or 1 year. Even after a year the dry grip levels were the same BUT the ER60 turned noisier than the XM1+

One other thing I noticed was the "return to center" steering after taking a U turn. With ER-60 (after taking a U-turn) the steering auto-centered itself correctly however with the XM1+ I had to assist the steering to center (understeer). Strangly enough this difference was not felt after taking a left/right turn. Initially I thought the air pressure was incorrect but that was not the case. It still is mystery to me.

Also, the XM1+ used to gobble many small stones in it's tread design.
Old 4th August 2013, 21:13   #539
BHPian

Quote:

Also, the XM1+ used to gobble many small stones in it's tread design.
I've noticed that as well on my friend's Figo - the thread is loaded with stones. Wouldn't that affect the grip?
Old 5th August 2013, 10:09   #540
BHPian

Quote:
One other thing I noticed was the "return to center" steering after taking a U turn. With ER-60 (after taking a U-turn) the steering auto-centered itself correctly however with the XM1+ I had to assist the steering to center (understeer).
Were both tyre makes of same size/specs ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks