Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 17:30   #481
BHPian

Re: Michelin Energy XM1+ & Bridgestone Turanza ER-60....The Best Allrounders?

Just to add my 2 cents worth as a 3 year old Mich XM1+ user.

My recent road trip to Kolhapur & Astavinayak, saw some really terrible roads. In particular the road from Daund to Siddatek. I wondered and prayed that I don not get a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere on a dark night. My praise for my Mich increased manifold considering how it effortlessly dealt with the roads and also gave good traction on the rugged mountain tracks at Jejuri.

Moral of the story, all the soft sidewall theory may not be entirely true or may be considered in some extreme cases. Ride is very comfortable and go for it. The mileage increase claims - I have yet to see the proof.

Yes, before someone points out, yes, I am behind in posting my travelogue due to some tragic happenings and will post soon.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:45   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
My friend's brand new Swift ZDI has come up with Goodyear Duraplus stock. Will changing to ER60 reduce the tyre noise? XM1+ is also an option but considering the rough stretches our roads that we typically drive, we are a bit reluctant. Yoko A-drive seems to be available only 195/60/R15 configuration. Is it ok to upsize to 195/60?

Swift ZDI stock configuration is 185/60/R15.
195/60/R15 is a perfect size for upgrade for the new Swift. And Swift ZDI stock configuration is 185/65/R15.

A Question to the guys in the know with Michelin

Isn't XM1+ available in 185/65/R14 size any more? One of my friends is looking for the tyre desperately in BLR.

Last edited by deetjohn : 18th January 2012 at 20:59. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 10:17   #483
BHPian

[quote=deetjohn;2650938
Isn't XM1+ available in 185/65/R14 size any more? One of my friends is looking for the tyre desperately in BLR.[/quote]

Shortage,.....my nephew in Chennai was asked to wait for 15 days. Tell your friend to ask the dealer to order it.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:02   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
195/60/R15 is a perfect size for upgrade for the new Swift. And Swift ZDI stock configuration is 185/65/R15.

A Question to the guys in the know with Michelin

Isn't XM1+ available in 185/65/R14 size any more? One of my friends is looking for the tyre desperately in BLR.
Yep there is a major shortage. When i had gone to the tyre dealer (major Michelin dealer) in Pune to get my tyres changed from the MRF to Bridestones & enquired about Michelins to get a better idea regarding the price difference, his reply was "do you see any Michelins around, no one in Pune was having stock cause of shortage".

Luckily, for me it helped in clearing the confusion between Bridgestones & Michelins cause there was no option anymore.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:12   #485
BHPian

My Fiesta running on Michelin XM1+ 185/65 R14 tires and they are around 2+ years old. Though the ride is good, am hearing lot of tyre noise now-a-days. Any idea what could be reason for this excessive tyre noise?
Old 19th January 2012, 12:41   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
My Fiesta running on Michelin XM1+ 185/65 R14 tires and they are around 2+ years old. Though the ride is good, am hearing lot of tyre noise now-a-days. Any idea what could be reason for this excessive tyre noise?
It could be due to tyre wear. It's normal. A brand new tyre will be much more silent compared to a used tyre.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 12:47   #487
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guys. Checked with dealers here. Neither they have stock nor do they know when the next batch will arrive.

The only set available was with Hot Tracks but the make is Jan 2010. Decided against it. Looking at other options now.
Old 1st February 2012, 11:46   #488
BHPian

My First Flat tyre after 2.5 years and 27k kms with the XM1+.

I was planning to run for another 3-4k kms before changing and tyrestore also assured the same.

But the disappointment came in last sunday when I got a flat on my Rear left tyre.

What is more surprising is that it was a sidewall cut. There was a 1 inch crack on the sidewall.

I could easily get another tyre and keep it as a spare but now a question has arised on the Integrity of the other tyres. I have no doubts on the quality of the XM1+ but my speculation is purely based on the age and wear of these tyres.

Of course, it could be surely due to the fact that only that tyre hit a stone/pothole/something badly, but I am still wary of the other tyres.

I am planning to go ahead and get them changed instead of waiting another 3-4k kms.

If I buy one now and keep it as spare, I will have to buy another 4 after 3-4k kms which leads to one extra tyre buying cost. Instead, I will buy 4 tyres now and keep the best of them as spare.

I was quoted 4150 per piece for the XM1+ 175/70 R13. The car is i10.

Experts, Any advise/thoughts and do I have other VFM options compared to the XM1+ ?
Old 1st February 2012, 12:04   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
My First Flat tyre after 2.5 years and 27k kms with the XM1+.

I was planning to run for another 3-4k kms before changing and tyrestore also assured the same.

But the disappointment came in last sunday when I got a flat on my Rear left tyre.

What is more surprising is that it was a sidewall cut. There was a 1 inch crack on the sidewall.

I could easily get another tyre and keep it as a spare but now a question has arised on the Integrity of the other tyres. I have no doubts on the quality of the XM1+ but my speculation is purely based on the age and wear of these tyres.

Of course, it could be surely due to the fact that only that tyre hit a stone/pothole/something badly, but I am still wary of the other tyres.

I am planning to go ahead and get them changed instead of waiting another 3-4k kms.

If I buy one now and keep it as spare, I will have to buy another 4 after 3-4k kms which leads to one extra tyre buying cost. Instead, I will buy 4 tyres now and keep the best of them as spare.

I was quoted 4150 per piece for the XM1+ 175/70 R13. The car is i10.

Experts, Any advise/thoughts and do I have other VFM options compared to the XM1+ ?

Why don't you try the Bridgestone ER60 ? It comes in this size.
Old 2nd February 2012, 23:52   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
i am not an expert but i recently got apollo acelere fitted on my city and i can tell you its very comfortable (i have no experience with michelin).the tyres are not very precise at handling but im happy since my main concern was comfort, vfm and durability. should be around 3600/tyre for your size.
Old 10th February 2012, 15:38   #491
BHPian

The tyres on my fusion are nearing their end, and need a replacement.

What tyres should I go in for?

Presently, the car is running on stock Goodyear GT3s and have done 43000 kms.

Would upsizing to 205/60/15 be good or sticking to 195/60/15 be advisable?

My running is 65% city and 35% highway.

The tyre dealers in my area are asking me to get GY NCT5 in 205/60/15.

Should I go ahead?
Old 10th February 2012, 23:16   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

205/60-15 doesnt have many optioons. I will suggest you stick toi 195/60-15. Try thge ZLOs or if you dont want to experiment, the best tyres are the Michelin Primacy LC or the Yoko C Drive. the ER60 doesnt hold a candle to these tyres.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:27   #493
BHPian

Recently changed my tyres, after 70,000 kms on the OEM Goodyear, on 5 year old Civic. My experience on tyre change is as below.

* My choices were Bridgestone B250 & Turanza E300& Michelin Energy MXV8 & Primacy LC
* Called Tyre dealers and they were promoting the brands they dealt in and were nasty in the comments of the competitor brands.
* Chose Michelin as I had used the other brands in the past, and also based on reviews on Team BHP and friends
* Asked for recent stock of tyres, he confirmed yes he has
* Michelin dealer did not recommend Primacy and strongly recommended MXV8, saying Primacy is not recommended for Civic
* Once fitted found out that of the 4 tyres 3 were one year old stock and only one was 2 months old
* True to all dealerships the con act started and explanations as why it’s Ok to have one year old tyre
* Irrespective of the research you do the deler does what he wants and gets away
* My take away is that however good the quality of the product or credentials of the manufacturer are, unless the dealer is conditioned by the principal he will always con the customer, after all he is a trader
* It is up to the manufacturer or Principal to set the standards on simple things like telling the truth
* Through such forums we should educate customers and push the manufacturer for better delivery

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th February 2012 at 14:12. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 21:03   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishtk View Post
Recently changed my tyres, after 70,000 kms on the OEM Goodyear, on 5 year old Civic. My experience on tyre change is as below.

* My choices were Bridgestone B250 & Turanza E300& Michelin Energy MXV8 & Primacy LC
* Called Tyre dealers and they were promoting the brands they dealt in and were nasty in the comments of the competitor brands.
* Chose Michelin as I had used the other brands in the past, and also based on reviews on Team BHP and friends
* Asked for recent stock of tyres, he confirmed yes he has
* Michelin dealer did not recommend Primacy and strongly recommended MXV8, saying Primacy is not recommended for Civic
* Once fitted found out that of the 4 tyres 3 were one year old stock and only one was 2 months old
* True to all dealerships the con act started and explanations as why it’s Ok to have one year old tyre
* Irrespective of the research you do the deler does what he wants and gets away
* My take away is that however good the quality of the product or credentials of the manufacturer are, unless the dealer is conditioned by the principal he will always con the customer, after all he is a trader
* It is up to the manufacturer or Principal to set the standards on simple things like telling the truth
* Through such forums we should educate customers and push the manufacturer for better delivery
To be honest, I think he was just trying to get rid of his old stock of MXV8s. Maybe, just maybe, it was used tyres swapped from a brand new Civic.

Our Civic came with MXV8 which we used for 6000 kms and changed to Continentals. so, like us, if someone else went to the tyre showroom directly from the car showroom and swapped his MXV8s for something else, those MXV8s would have been lying at the dealer.

The fact that there was such a huge difference (almost a year) in the manufacturing dates points to more golmaal from the dealer.

The Primacy LC is PERFECT for the Civic. I'm tired of the CPC2s on our Civic and cant WAIT to change it to PLCs. The Primacy LCs suit the ride comfort of the Civic beautifully.
Old 20th February 2012, 00:12   #495
BHPian

Can some one share the contact name and number of the Michelin regional or national head, want to check with them if they approve of such tactics of their dealers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks