Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 17:01   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Michelin Energy XM1+ & Bridgestone Turanza ER-60....The Best Allrounders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I have 175/65 R14 Goodyear tyres on my Getz prime 1.3. Of late there are more potholes on the roads where I travel and I get complaints from my wife that ride is bad over uneven stretches and I am forced to watch out carefully. Can I improve the ride quality by changing to Michelin XM1+ 175/70 (without changing the rims)? From what I gather in this thread, they have soft sidewalls and flex more and hence feel that ride quality should improve. Will they also lighten up the steering, because I feel that steering is bit on heavier side at very low speeds?

I dont think my car's suspension has any issue, as it has run about 25000 km so far and it is just over 2 years old.
you didnt mention which particular Goodyear tyres are you using? In general XM1+ are comfort oriented and do help ride quality, grip and reduce noise. It was world of difference for me going from MRF to XM1+ . However increase the profile from 65 to 70 may not make a world of difference vs stickin to stock size. Softer side wall will help filter out all the smaller undulations on the road, but bigger potholes will still be felt. Also by going to 70 profile you add error to speedo as well.
Old 30th July 2011, 23:06   #437
BHPian

My OHC needs a tyre upgrade as the Bridgestone S322s have almost reached the end of their life. I wanted the ER60 basically after hearing a couple of people complaining about the soft side wall of the Michelin being a problem over rough and patchy roads.

Problem is that there is no fresh stock of ER60 available in my city due to some god-forsaken shortage at the factory with only 2010 samples being in stock at some dealers (which i really wouldn't want). On the other hand XM1+ is readily available.

Would the XM1+ really be a hassle over bad and rough roads (almost 50% of the country's roads)? Is it worth waiting for the ER60s for another month or so and drag the S332s through a bit more of their ordeal or would the Michelin's do just as fine?
Old 31st July 2011, 12:04   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123
My OHC needs a tyre upgrade as the Bridgestone S322s have almost reached the end of their life. I wanted the ER60 basically after hearing a couple of people complaining about the soft side wall of the Michelin being a problem over rough and patchy roads.

Problem is that there is no fresh stock of ER60 available in my city due to some god-forsaken shortage at the factory with only 2010 samples being in stock at some dealers (which i really wouldn't want). On the other hand XM1+ is readily available.

Would the XM1+ really be a hassle over bad and rough roads (almost 50% of the country's roads)? Is it worth waiting for the ER60s for another month or so and drag the S332s through a bit more of their ordeal or would the Michelin's do just as fine?
Maybe they are not making them anymore as the AR 10 is supposed to be their replacement?
Old 4th August 2011, 13:36   #439
Senior - BHPian

Folks, have you faced issues with excess of small stones getting stuck in the tyre tread of XM1+ ? I have been running XM1+ on my car for about 5K kms now and its virtually a stone magnet. Last weekend I spent a hr removing all the small stones and by end of it I had so many that they couldn't fit in my palm.

This is bound to have a negative effect on the wheel balancing. Any thoughts?
Old 4th August 2011, 14:48   #440
Senior - BHPian

Softer the tyre more stones it will gather, higher the rate of wear, better is the performance.
Old 5th August 2011, 08:34   #441
Senior - BHPian

It is time for changing tyres. I have Potenza GIIIs 185/70/14 that I want to replace with Turanza 185/70/14. Any view on what these tyres cost in Bangalore.
DF
Old 5th August 2011, 09:18   #442
BHPian

Using XM1+ on my Estilo. My friend too changed to XM1+ on Santro and change is drastic. Smooth Ride, Controlled Turnings, Fine Braking 7000Kms till now on mine and no complains yet.
Old 5th August 2011, 10:12   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Folks, have you faced issues with excess of small stones getting stuck in the tyre tread of XM1+ ? I have been running XM1+ on my car for about 5K kms now and its virtually a stone magnet. Last weekend I spent a hr removing all the small stones and by end of it I had so many that they couldn't fit in my palm.

This is bound to have a negative effect on the wheel balancing. Any thoughts?
Yes, it is a stone magnet. The tread pattern and the way the sipes are designed makes it so.

Guess what, some times the stones are big enough to make a continuous click click. But they get spit later off the tyre when you reach some speed.

But most of them will get off the tyre themselves. Small stones are not a bother.

When you hit different surfaces, the way in which the tyre and the tread patterns make contact, will get rid of the stones.
Old 5th August 2011, 11:14   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
It is time for changing tyres. I have Potenza GIIIs 185/70/14 that I want to replace with Turanza 185/70/14. Any view on what these tyres cost in Bangalore.
DF
DieselFan, I got all 4 tyres for my Swift VDI changed about couple of months back. Paid 4.2k for each Turanza ER60 185/70/14
dreamdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2011, 12:06   #445
BHPian

Hello friends, need an urgent opinion. I had installed a new set of energy XM1+ 185/70/R14 three months back for my swiftZXI & they have done around 3k kms. Today one of them had less air pressure & i took it to get the puncture repaired.
But on closer inspection , it was found that there was a small cut in the sidewall of the tyre. The tyrewallah is saying that they will repair it by some technique from inside .

Now , esteemed members please let me know that can the tyre be safely used again without any issues cropping up or the repair will only be temporary. I am asking as the car is used daily & over some bad stretches of road . Anyone with similar experiance on tubeless tyres , kindly help me. Thanks.

Last edited by piyush78 : 5th August 2011 at 12:23.
Old 5th August 2011, 14:00   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
Now , esteemed members please let me know that can the tyre be safely used again without any issues cropping up or the repair will only be temporary.
I know some guys using tyres with re-done sidewall, but I would not recommend it. IMO, its really unsafe. Best would be to keep it as spare. It can server its purpose in low speeds and emergency situations.
Old 5th August 2011, 23:35   #447
BHPian

Well Friends, Thanks for your valuable inputs, I have bought a new tyre & got the damaged tyre also repaired for using as a spare.
The tyre was repaired by a mushroom shaped puncture which was stuck from the inside at the spot with its stalk or pedicle coming out thru the cut in the sidewall. The extra stalk was cut by a blade so that it is flush with the sidewall from outside. I forgot to see the brand of the puncture. Costed Rs.250..
Old 6th August 2011, 11:58   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Maybe they are not making them anymore as the AR 10 is supposed to be their replacement?
this is not true. BS is still making ER60 and AR10 is not a replacement for ER60 at least in India. AR10 is a tubed tyre in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
DieselFan, I got all 4 tyres for my Swift VDI changed about couple of months back. Paid 4.2k for each Turanza ER60 185/70/14
ER60 comes in two speed specs S and H in the size 185/70/R14. H is superior to S. I presume you have got H spec tyres. S has a max speed rating of 180km/hr while H has 210km/hr rating.
Old 6th August 2011, 16:23   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan
this is not true. BS is still making ER60 and AR10 is not a replacement for ER60 at least in India. AR10 is a tubed tyre in India
Actually, I got AR10 195/60 R15 tubeless tires @ 4.25K apiece installed on my Fusion a couple of months ago...maybe imported?
Though BS India website doesn't even mention this size in AR10s and shows them as tubed tires.
Old 7th August 2011, 12:27   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2006 View Post
Actually, I got AR10 195/60 R15 tubeless tires @ 4.25K apiece installed on my Fusion a couple of months ago...maybe imported?
Though BS India website doesn't even mention this size in AR10s and shows them as tubed tires.
Yes when BS India doesn't mention the size the the tyres would be imported.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks