Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 22:41   #31
BANNED

just today i got a new pair of potanza g3 would like how are they and better of vrs
Old 20th January 2009, 23:02   #32
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Nice little comparo there. I am leaning towards the Bridgestones a bit, have'nt yet heard a negative about these tyres. Just realised that even Potenzas GIII come in the stock 175/65 size I am looking for. Now I know these are high performance tyres and I am sure they will be a hoot to drive on, but is the ride uncomfortable or are they very noisy at high speeds? Basically are these over the top for my requirements?
I use 185/75/R14 Bridgestone potenza G3s. Nice tyres IMO, very very noisy though. Otherwise, brilliant in corners and straight line. Last forever too.
I'm at 25k on the odo, and the still look like they've got another 20k in them.

Ride is firm, and my wife does complain, but when she does that, i take her for a trip in my brother's endy, that solves the problem

Had 1 episode of tyre lock up and skidding in pouring rain at 50kmph, when I had to panic brake and wrench the steering wheel at the same time. I feel,I cant blame the tyres for that.

Old 20th January 2009, 23:25   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
One Question I have for experts, What is minimum profile we should have for tyre upgrade. I would like to know the +/- for each profile if possible like 45,50,55,60,65,70,75,80... Specially what if you are running on 50 profile on Indian Road conditions. How frequently you have change shoes for you car and how many time you have to change wheels/alloys in case.
Depends totally on the car in question. But as a thumb rule anything below 50 profile in India is asking for trouble.

Quote:
Nice little comparo there. I am leaning towards the Bridgestones a bit, have'nt yet heard a negative about these tyres. Just realised that even Potenzas GIII come in the stock 175/65 size I am looking for. Now I know these are high performance tyres and I am sure they will be a hoot to drive on, but is the ride uncomfortable or are they very noisy at high speeds? Basically are these over the top for my requirements?
Forget it Roms, they're anything but quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
ER 60 are suppose to be steel belted thats what they say....I am assuming, that may be good for Indian condition.
All Car Radial tyres sold in India are steel belted. Be it MRF, JK, Ceat, Bridgestone, Yoko or Michelin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku View Post
just today i got a new pair of potanza g3 would like how are they and better of vrs
Nothing great, just quiet cheap in the stock vRS size. Will be quite noisy too, especially on concrete roads.
Old 20th January 2009, 23:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I use 185/75/R14 Bridgestone potenza G3s. Nice tyres IMO, very very noisy though. Otherwise, brilliant in corners and straight line. Last forever too.
I'm at 25k on the odo, and the still look like they've got another 20k in them.

Ride is firm, and my wife does complain, but when she does that, i take her for a trip in my brother's endy, that solves the problem
So tyre life is not a big problem. But they are noisy and the ride will be firm. Hmm... good you have your brother's Endy to give your wife a relief. My wife would stop coming on drives altogether.Wait.. that is a good thing.

On a serious note though, threads on the forum say the S322s are the worst possible tyres available, and I have them. So I guess ride comfort and noise levels on the GIII would be much better?
Old 20th January 2009, 23:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Forget it Roms, they're anything but quiet.

Nothing great, just quiet cheap in the stock vRS size. Will be quite noisy too, especially on concrete roads.
Alright then, those two lines are enough for me to stop looking around for alternatives. I think Bridgestone Turanza ER-60s are the way to go then.
Old 20th January 2009, 23:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alright then, those two lines are enough for me to stop looking around for alternatives. I think Bridgestone Turanza ER-60s are the way to go then.
Compared to the G3 the Turanzas will be less noisy. I'd suggest you go for the ER 60.
Old 22nd January 2009, 00:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Compared to the G3 the Turanzas will be less noisy. I'd suggest you go for the ER 60.
Thanks Fountainheader, I have made the decision in favour of the Turanzas. I believe these should be appropriate for the purpose. Will be getting new shoes for my car this weekend.

Its also good to know that there are atleast four great contenders that can be considered in the allround category - Yoko A.Drive, Michelin XM1+, Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 and Apollo Acelere.
Old 22nd January 2009, 01:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So tyre life is not a big problem. But they are noisy and the ride will be firm. Hmm... good you have your brother's Endy to give your wife a relief. My wife would stop coming on drives altogether.Wait.. that is a good thing.

On a serious note though, threads on the forum say the S322s are the worst possible tyres available, and I have them. So I guess ride comfort and noise levels on the GIII would be much better?
I switched from S322's to GIII's and i am pretty happy with them after around 5K kms.
Ride feels better than S322's,not to mention the Grip levels,though they are noisier.
Old 22nd January 2009, 01:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Before I zeroed down to ER 60, I went through few thread on Michelins....I found that there were examples of side wall cut in michelins...its not that they are bad...but Indian roads may be bad for Michelin.

ER 60 are suppose to be steel belted thats what they say....I am assuming, that may be good for Indian condition.

The other thing I noticed was the side wall of GIII is much softer than ER60....I could easily press the tyre down (well not on wheel)....which was difficult in ER 60....

I've driven my car with xm1+ on all sorts of bad roads,gravel , splintered tree trunks ,holes in the road and so far it seems to have survived. seems like the xm1+ is pretty ok for indian conditions
Old 22nd January 2009, 02:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Take a look at Michelin PP2s as well if you like sporty handling - very quiet, decent ride and superb grip. Its a bit pricey though.
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:08   #41
Team-BHP Support

I think he is looking for all round tyres for indian roads with good life and VFM. PP2's are far from that. They are expensive, prone to bulges on poor roads, shorter tyre life and average ride comfort.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd January 2009 at 09:18.
Old 22nd January 2009, 13:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
I've driven my car with xm1+ on all sorts of bad roads,gravel , splintered tree trunks ,holes in the road and so far it seems to have survived. seems like the xm1+ is pretty ok for indian conditions
That is a good positive report on the XM1+ bottle. Even the Premji Sales dealer told me that the XM+ are softer than Turanzas, but they are fantastic tyres and there should'nt be much of a problem with them. Infact he has the Xm1+ readily available and would have to order for the Turanzas, which probably means the XM1+ is a more popular choice.

I am personally going in for the Turanzas because of the fact that there are good views on the forum about its low noise and high comfort levels, that they can take a lot of abuse and the Bridgestone website places the ER-60s in the "high performance - sport" category which leads me to believe that these tyres should be a perfect blend of performance and comfort, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Take a look at Michelin PP2s as well if you like sporty handling - very quiet, decent ride and superb grip. Its a bit pricey though.
Agreed, would have loved the PP2s for their handling and grip and the overall fun of driving. Unfortunately, the S10 is also my family car, so cant really opt for these I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I think he is looking for all round tyres for indian roads with good life and VFM. PP2's are far from that. They are expensive, prone to bulges on poor roads, shorter tyre life and average ride comfort.
Perfect, you've got what I am looking for.

Last edited by roms : 22nd January 2009 at 13:55.
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:10   #43
Team-BHP Support

roms, I have the Turanza's ER-60 and have also driven quite a bit on Michelin energy XM1.

The turanza's can take a lot more abuse compared to the XM1's. The sidewall is very well protected. In terms of grip both of them are pretty good and on par. Ride comfort is a bit better on XM1's.

The Turanza's are a bit more noisy compared to the XM1's. But tyre noise is different from car to car and the Lancer suffers from high tyre noise.

Coming to the Yoko A-drive. These are absolute VFM tyres and are definitely an upgrade to the OE tyres. I haven't driven any car with these tyres but from what I have heard they do a good job in both ride comfort and grip and are complete VFM. I'm not sure about the long term usage as they are fairly new in the market. Upon close inspection of the tyres I found the sidewall to be extremely soft which means good ride. Also when you compare the 3 tyres of the same size you will notice that the Turanza's look wider than the other 2 and the Yoko looks thin even though all 3 are of same size. This is because of some difference in construction.

As far as the Potenza's are concerned, they are best avoided as they are a very old design and the game has moved far ahead.
Old 22nd January 2009, 14:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Also when you compare the 3 tyres of the same size you will notice that the Turanza's look wider than the other 2 and the Yoko looks thin even though all 3 are of same size. This is because of some difference in construction.
I have A-Drives on my Swift. And I love them. Amazing grip. I wonder how 205 profile tyres will be

I dint consider the ER60. It was between the A-Drives and MXV8. For 900 bucks cheaper than the MXV8, it makes it completely VFM.

Yes I did check both the tyres side by side. The Michelin looks fatter. Because of the thread pattern I guess.
Old 22nd January 2009, 18:22   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I am personally going in for the Turanzas because of the fact that there are good views on the forum about its low noise and high comfort levels, that they can take a lot of abuse and the Bridgestone website places the ER-60s in the "high performance - sport" category which leads me to believe that these tyres should be a perfect blend of performance and comfort, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
Oh God no!!

Dont believe ANYTHING these companies say. This is not in reference to the ER 60, but marketing bull**** rules in the tyre industry. I'll scan some BS(Bridgestone or Bull****, whichever way you see it! ) pamphlet and post it later tonight. They talk abt the S322 as having good wet performance!! :

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks