Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 10:49   #181
BHPian

Decided on the XM1+ for my Palio GTX.. Now have to decide the size 185/65 R14 or 195/60 R14.. Whats the price of these in hyderabad? What do oweners of both size feel about the performance increase over the standard 175 size.. especially ride quality, cornering grip, steering feel and braking
Old 5th August 2009, 13:45   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly View Post
Decided on the XM1+ for my Palio GTX.. Now have to decide the size 185/65 R14 or 195/60 R14.. Whats the price of these in hyderabad? What do oweners of both size feel about the performance increase over the standard 175 size.. especially ride quality, cornering grip, steering feel and braking
If oyu go through the thread, oyu will find your answers instead of asking the same questions again and again!

Prices: 185/65 R14 should be around 3800 and 195/60 R14 should be around 4400.

For Palio GTX which is a powerful car I suggest you go for 185/60 R14 PP2s. Your ride quality will go down, but handling of the car will be superb. If oyu are never going to really push your car(on track or on deserted highways), then you can go for 185/65 R14 XM1+. This will give you a better ride comfort than 195/60 R14.
Old 5th August 2009, 15:52   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Decisions! Decisions! Decisions

Man! Its tough call between the BS ER-60 and Mich XM1+ But I have more or less fell for the Michelins

So, it to be today... will let ya know how it goes incl dealer review .. tomm...
With an Accent GLS touching comparable mileage; I am (im)patiently waiting to get your feedback and detailed report on this... Went through the whole thread and still confused between these two...
I am also planning to put 14" alloys changing stock rims alongwith tyres. Anyway; alloy confusion is almost over as aura went out of picture to give way to Neo
Old 6th August 2009, 23:13   #184
BHPian

The XM1+ changeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by drraj View Post
With an Accent GLS touching comparable mileage; I am (im)patiently waiting to get your feedback and detailed report on this... Went through the whole thread and still confused between these two...
I am also planning to put 14" alloys changing stock rims alongwith tyres. Anyway; alloy confusion is almost over as aura went out of picture to give way to Neo
Well, my appologies for the delay.. a project rollout, lack of time and a train trip tomm morn, i have all my bases full with adrenalin..

As mentioned earlier, my flip to the michelins was more or less certain.. my earlier car ( nissan maxima ) had some sweet michelins- the touring kind and i can never forget the close kissings the ground on the fairly smooth roads..for the record, I found the roads in Virginia the best .. try driving on I-83 from Atlanta to DC..and feel the diff just after the north carolina border..that is the moment of truth..

The trip to the dealer (Best Tyres,Vashi) was around 6:45.. The dealer appeared to have just two of the required four.. apparently, two had gone out to another dealer that morning, so i was told..anyway he(Harmeet Singh) phoned up and got it back.. The disassembly was smooth and methodical and the tyres FE would fall and also trigger a wobble feel at times.. but for me the price diff was quite significant and for a 5mm addition on either side of the tyre did not appear to be a lot of rubber for the price..He also strongly advocated the XM1+ over the XM1 as there were far superior due to the silicon build as all the rest were carbon based builds.. He also shared with me his dealer trip to the Mich site in Chennai where they had a showdown between the BS ER 60 and the XM1+.. The verdict of the showing clearly highlighted the superiority of the XM1+..

Next day, I set out on my 11km commute drive.. it felt different alright.. The drive was lighter and climbing to the 100kmph seemed effortless.. on my old 2001 BS S322, it was quite an effort and drag was felt too.. Also, the noise quotient had dropped significantly.. with AC and 80kmph, the noise was quite high on the old tyres but the new ones were quite silent even at 100..

Overall, no complaints so far.. quite a few of the earlier wobbles were addressed by tyre/nitrogen/allignment/balancing.. cant figure that one...
I made retrip to the dealer again today... The fukat Michelin-Reebok stroller bag is quite good for the cabin luggage uses.. The MRP on it was 2500.. However, my piece had a manu defect.. The great factory worker stitched over the velcro fastner along the seam, due to which a flap was not sticking..Not the dealer fault, I guess... Had called the dealer n told him yest.. asked me to come by today since he needed to get it from his warehouse.. I said ok and showed up today.. no luck it was still at the warehouse.. so now i got to pick up the week after next..

for now all looks fine .. FE will be mixed for my current tank of gas...but i am estimating it will be arnd 14 based upon the readings till now...

ok.. then tata and take care folks.. i am on a trip to kerala tomm and then off to gujrat for the maiden long drive next friday..
cheers! n all the best drraj..

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly. Take a look at this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette) for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th August 2009 at 14:57. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:27   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He also shared with me his dealer trip to the Mich site in Chennai where they had a showdown between the BS ER 60 and the XM1+.. The verdict of the showing clearly highlighted the superiority of the XM1+..
Total Bull. The tyres are good. No doubt, but this sentence casts doubts on the dealer.

Michelin never had a test between the XM1+ and the ER 60 on the Madras track. It was between the ER300 and the Primacy LC. Check the Primacy LC thread for more details.

@drraj --- I recieved your PM. If you dont mind, I'll reply here.

I suggest you go for 185/65 R14 for Accent. My personal preference is always Yoko or Michelin. both are good. ER 60 is good as well, but for comfort, the Michelin is far ahead. However as you mentioned, ER 60 is not available in 185/65 R14. So, th Michelin is a shoo in. However, the A Drive is also a very nice tyre and VFM as well.

Since you are interested in the SH81 alloys from Apollo, I'll also recommend the Accelere tyres in 185/65 R14. They are very nice tyres as well. I would say very close to the Michelins/Yokos/Bridgestones. Also, they are beautifully priced. If you buy the alloys+tyres from Apollo, there is a discount in it.

185/65 R14 SH81 alloys should cost you around 34k or so.
Old 8th August 2009, 16:41   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I suggest you go for 185/65 R14 for Accent. My personal preference is always Yoko or Michelin. both are good. ER 60 is good as well, but for comfort, the Michelin is far ahead. However as you mentioned, ER 60 is not available in 185/65 R14. So, th Michelin is a shoo in. However, the A Drive is also a very nice tyre and VFM as well.

Since you are interested in the SH81 alloys from Apollo, I'll also recommend the Accelere tyres in 185/65 R14. They are very nice tyres as well. I would say very close to the Michelins/Yokos/Bridgestones. Also, they are beautifully priced. If you buy the alloys+tyres from Apollo, there is a discount in it.

185/65 R14 SH81 alloys should cost you around 34k or so.
Thank you Nikhilb2008; I was just concerned about the sidecuts it is going to get considering the rough roads I may have to ride it in.
Also was thinking of ER-300 (185/60/ R14) as a choice for it's 2 ply sidewall;
and good reviews in international forums for comfort and performance.
Do you think XM1+ and A Drive's sidewalls may be too soft for sharp side stone edges very common for ghat and estate roads? I may have to travel some of these in kerala.
Not much review for ER-300 in here for other than your wonderful review of it with primacy LC and some OEM fitted references.
And thank you for your tip on Apollo deals; but I may also flip for lenso or HR as although I prefer Indian companies (okay; apollo imports alloys too) They have some nice pretty designs. But If I go for Apollo alloys, as you advised I can go for package deal.
Another thing I wanted to ask is in the picture attached...
Do you think the diameter difference would pose a long term problem for suspension or for overall health of the car; eventhough we have seen people successfully using it ?
Thank you so much for helping out. I really appreciate it
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Energy XM1+ & Bridgestone Turanza ER-60....The Best Allrounders?-tyre_upsize_accent.jpg  

Old 8th August 2009, 23:41   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drraj View Post
Thank you Nikhilb2008; I was just concerned about the sidecuts it is going to get considering the rough roads I may have to ride it in.
Also was thinking of ER-300 (185/60/ R14) as a choice for it's 2 ply sidewall;
and good reviews in international forums for comfort and performance.
Do you think XM1+ and A Drive's sidewalls may be too soft for sharp side stone edges very common for ghat and estate roads? I may have to travel some of these in kerala.
Not much review for ER-300 in here for other than your wonderful review of it with primacy LC and some OEM fitted references.
And thank you for your tip on Apollo deals; but I may also flip for lenso or HR as although I prefer Indian companies (okay; apollo imports alloys too) They have some nice pretty designs. But If I go for Apollo alloys, as you advised I can go for package deal.
Another thing I wanted to ask is in the picture attached...
Do you think the diameter difference would pose a long term problem for suspension or for overall health of the car; eventhough we have seen people successfully using it ?
Thank you so much for helping out. I really appreciate it
Well, since it is more than 2%, you would have a lot of speedo error. Mostly not recommended.

Then go for 185/60 R14. The ER300 is a decent tyre. But I think the XM1+ is better. The XM1+ can tolerate bad roads quite well. Lots of people are quite happy with it.
Old 10th August 2009, 01:09   #188
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nikhil, what do you think about B250 Bridgestone? I mean are they good enough for smooth ride for Ford fiesta? i am geting a orice of 3350 for them. Are they good enough. please advice.
Old 10th August 2009, 09:40   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

They are decent. They are basically budget tyres. they come OEM on some Civics, Vernas, etc.... But I would recommend the XM1+. The price difference is not too much anyway.
Old 10th August 2009, 23:04   #190
Senior - BHPian

What should be the best price of 185/70 R 14 Michelin XM1+?
Old 10th August 2009, 23:44   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Should be somewhere aaround 3.5k - 3.6k
Old 10th August 2009, 23:46   #192
Team-BHP Support

Close to 3600 when I inquired in Delhi. Did not bargain but there was scope for a reduction by another 100 bucks I feel.
Old 11th August 2009, 00:42   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
What should be the best price of 185/70 R 14 Michelin XM1+?
I inquired for 185/65 R14 and got a quote for 3650 without negotiations from Tyre professionals, Jayanagar. it should be in the ballpark. I feel there's some room for nego.
Old 11th August 2009, 13:50   #194

the michelin xm1+ rates are 3650 and if you press more you may get it for 3.5 k with the bag offer if you buy a set of 4 tyres
Old 11th August 2009, 14:35   #195
BHPian

I got 5 XM1+ last week for 3550 per piece.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks