Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2014, 14:22   #136
BHPian

Re: Tire upsizing on linea

Hi all
I need some suggestions for tyre change in my linea.
Today i fitted the GC upgrade kit in my linea. I also need to change tyres. Has anyone here gone for 195 65 R15 along with the GC upgrade? The stock 195 60 15 looks too skinny with the increased GC.
Awaiting your valuable suggestions.
Old 20th March 2014, 02:27   #137
Senior - BHPian

It would be better to switch to 16" wheels along with the 205/55R16 tires that come on the TJet+. The larger dis will fill up the wheel well better than any upsized 15"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
The stock 195 60 15 looks too skinny with the increased GC.
Awaiting your valuable suggestions.
Old 3rd April 2014, 17:31   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It would be better to switch to 16" wheels along with the 205/55R16 tires that come on the TJet+. The larger dis will fill up the wheel well better than any upsized 15"
Due to a tight budget I have ruled out going for 16 inch. In that case 205 60 R 15 is another option I can look into. Which one do you suggest 195 65 R 15 or 205 60 R 15?
Old 5th April 2014, 11:46   #139
BHPian

I've been using 205/60/R15 Yokohama dB for the past 63K kms. Super silent and comfortable ride.
Old 8th April 2014, 09:04   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
I've been using 205/60/R15 Yokohama dB for the past 63K kms. Super silent and comfortable ride.
I thought of going for AVS db series but was skeptical about the tread life and tyre wear. What about the condition of tread after 63k kms?
Old 24th April 2014, 15:41   #141
BHPian

Small introduction before I post my question., Indranil Chakravorty here. Currently residing in Mumbai. Started my relation with pistons since 1998, when I had a Hero Honda CD 100, then Pulsar 150 from 2003 to 2006. Swift VXI from 2007 to 2010. Currently own a Fiat Linea 1400 CC (2010 model). I have been referring teambhp, gearheads and teamfiat since long. Although, have never contributed to either yet. The reason I am posting is to get some guidance, advise from you knowledgeable folks.
So here goes my query. I am currently looking to replace my old stock GT3. Actually, I am going to Torrid, Andheri to get my left front suspensions checked and repaired as they been making loud noise. Hopefully, once they are fixed, I would get my tyres replaced. Following my secondary research, I went to streets soliciting quotations to select replacement tyres for my stock GT3. I have currently narrowed down to following tyres
1. Apollo Alnac 4G (Price 4500-4800)
2. GoodYear Assurance (Similar price)
3. Yoko AVS DB (Price 5050)

My initial shortlist also had MY02, ZLO and XM2. Price and soft wall perception is a major deterrent and I am hoping nothing can go horribly wrong with any of the above listed 3 tyres.
I am more or less leaning towards Apollo Alnac, although there is almost zero reviews available in any forum (Indian/ Other countries). I am pursuing based on good reports on sites such as (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/ca...-autobild.html http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Apollo/Alnac-4g.htm). It has done pretty well in quite a few tests. Also, it has been the OEM for VW across globe. I want to know about its handling while cornering at high speeds, as the material would be softer than say GT3. Also, doubts remain about its durability and reliability.
Any advice?
My selection criteria is:-
1. Confidence while cornering
2. Good braking, grip (wet, dry, gravel)
3. Price max <5500 per tyre
I do drive fast (hit 80-110 on eastern expressway in Mumbai, 120-140 on highways), switch lanes continuously albeit following all traffic regulations.
I am currently in conversation with couple of nice gentlemen on a different forum, who are advising me in favour of Alnac 4g, however with some conditions I guess.

Continous high speed cornering, good grip are the main concerns here. Thanks.
Old 28th April 2014, 15:27   #142
BHPian

Aftermarket basic plain looking alloys

About to get a new car and stuck on alloys. Car comes with steel rims so need to upgrade to alloys. But I like cars looking plain (for lack of a better word). For my current situation I have to option to buy the stock alloys which are relatively simple though in a more general scenario this might not always be true.

So where can you go to get alloys where your top priority is safety, strength and light weight. All functional requirements and nothing else?

I am searching the forum to better understand alloys, like what is the default alloy color? (is the gray you get with most stock cars? is it actually called gray alloys?)

Thoughts?
Old 28th April 2014, 16:25   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Aftermarket basic plain looking alloys

Which car? What size of alloys? Although, there are a lot of good brands to select alloy wheels from, you should focus on a design you like, but should be easy to clean, should be strong (design wise) and preferably lighter than the original rim. Mirror finish on alloys do look good when new but may not last long. Also, watch closely the fit on the car wheel drums. Sometimes alloy wheels have a design which make the tires protrude slightly outwards than the original steel rims. This may result in the tires scrapping the body/ wheel arcs when the suspension travels down. Watch out for these and go for a good established brand.

PS: Sincerely pray that you don't get into such a situation but if you go for common designs, you may get identical single alloy wheel in future if yours gets damaged for any reason, without the need of buying the whole set again.
Old 28th April 2014, 16:46   #144
BHPian

The car is linea, But I am going through some of the other threads for specific questions on it.

Wanted to keep this at a more general learning.

Will try to phrase my questions better

Q. What is the difference between stock alloys wheels and aftermarket alloy wheels, just the finish and design?

Q. Do manufactures have tie ups with alloy makers like they do for tires or make them in house?

Q. What is finish called that you get on most of the stock alloy wheels?
Old 28th April 2014, 17:11   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
Q. What is the difference between stock alloys wheels and aftermarket alloy wheels, just the finish and design?
Finish, design, manufacturing process (casting & forging), weight. Most affordable ones are manufactured using casting whereas the expensive ones are forged.

Some wheels are also machined on a lathe to get a better finish. Diamond cut wheels have already made it to some of the OEM wheels such as the Polo, Verna (facelift version), i10 Grand etc.

Quote:
Q. Do manufactures have tie ups with alloy makers like they do for tires or make them in house?
Yes. Enkei Wheels India Ltd, located at Pune supplies alloy rims to various car manufacturers such as Maruti Suzuki, Honda, Toyota etc.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2014 at 16:08. Reason: Please use the QUOTE function the right way, thanks
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 17:21   #146
BHPian

If you are getting a linea, i think you should get linea official alloys only. Personally i find heir design to be very simple and nothing gaudy or flashy. Besides since they are fiat official stuff, i think there should not be any quality issues.
Old 28th April 2014, 17:25   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Responses posted inline.
Just called Enkei Wheels India Ltd, closed for the day.

Think its possible to purchase alloys directly from them?
Do you know of other such manufactures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
If you are getting a linea, i think you should get linea official alloys only. Personally i find heir design to be very simple and nothing gaudy or flashy. Besides since they are fiat official stuff, i think there should not be any quality issues.
I do like the linea design and ticks all the boxes, though they cost around 11k each. Would like to explore my options before spending that.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2014 at 12:50. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 28th April 2014, 17:30   #148
BHPian

Any suggestions on what rim size to go for linea 1.4 petrol Fire engine based purely on functional aspects.

15" or 16"?

Usage is a mix bag of city and highway.
Old 28th April 2014, 17:32   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a question, though there are much better brands, but how are Neo wheels? I got them more than 3 years ago and have faced no problems with it. Just wanted to know the general opinion about them?
Old 28th April 2014, 17:38   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Just a question, though there are much better brands, but how are Neo wheels? I got them more than 3 years ago and have faced no problems with it. Just wanted to know the general opinion about them?
Here where my question lies as well, who are better -
suppliers to car manufactures or independent manufactures like Neo?

If someone could rate them in terms of strength, weight and price factors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks