Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2007, 10:25   #31
BANNED

whats is wheel locking nutes ?
Old 3rd March 2008, 09:48   #32
BHPian

Designer Lugs / Safety Nuts for alloys... where to buy them?

Ok, I dont know what exactly to call them, hence the 'Search' did not pick up any relevant thread.
Mods: Do merge this, if there is an existing thread.

This is the news that got me concerned. TOI Link

I would like to change the normal Nuts that hold my alloys, into those designer ones, the ones that would open only with the key (a spanner that is different from the normal ones).

Well not exactly designer, just that they have some different designs

Am in bangalore, would appreciate if any one could answer these for me.
1. What are they called?
2. Where do i get them (in Blore)?
3. If you are already using them, how good is the quality of these 'special' spanners? (I wouldnt want them snapping when i am changing the tyre in the middle of no where - Worst Case Scenario.)

I remember seeing in on that White Subaru (Scooby), i thought i saw that on the 'Alloy wheel showoff' thread, but wasnt able to locate it there.

Did try calling the dealer today, took a good 10 mins trying to explain what it is to the guy who had picked the phone, but without much success.
Old 12th February 2009, 12:02   #33
pat

Wheel lock nuts

Does anyone have information on where to source these nuts in Bangalore? and what is the cost?

Yesterday, in my locality two wheels of a car were flicked. This has made me loose my sleep as I park my car outside

appreciate any help in this regard and thanks in advance
Old 12th February 2009, 12:21   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Does anyone have information on where to source these nuts in Bangalore? and what is the cost?

Yesterday, in my locality two wheels of a car were flicked. This has made me loose my sleep as I park my car outside

appreciate any help in this regard and thanks in advance
Don't scare me. Mine is also parked outside
Old 13th March 2009, 17:14   #35
BHPian

It is sad that car and part manufacturers are treating wheel locking nuts as a luxury item although it is becoming a necessity nowadays..

Eventhough the locking wheel nut can be taken out with a few tools and little knowhow, it would keep the wheels away from amateur flickers.
Old 14th March 2009, 20:57   #36
BHPian

Can someone tell me where these nuts are available in Delhi and how much do they cost?
Old 12th June 2009, 20:17   #37
R_R
BHPian

Wheel-locks, anyone?

A couple of months back, somebody stole two wheels from my Indica when it was parked outside my apartment block. Since then I have been trying to figure out if there is any way to prevent a repeat performance. I recently heard about wheel-locks, but am not sure if they are available in India or if they are effective or how much they cost. Anyone have any idea?
Old 12th June 2009, 22:17   #38
BHPian

Please be aware that the following type of wheel nuts are prone to rust and breakage. These nuts by design collect water and this leads to rust.

A few months back, when the service guy tried to loosen it (i'm sure he stood on the lever though he denied it), it just CRACKED. I was left with no option but to break it open using a hammer. It was too late to find a gas cutter and i was scheduled for an early morning drive to Kerala.
Finally with the help of a mechanic, i broke it open, slightly damaging my alloys. I threw away all those stupid nuts and went back to the original normal ones.

On second thoughts, it was good that it cracked during service. What if i had a puncture in the middle of the forest and it happened then?
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel locking nuts-wn1.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-wn2.jpg  

Old 12th June 2009, 22:57   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Torqy, the sad part is that these nuts are absolutely essential for some types of alloys.
Old 13th June 2009, 01:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Torqy, the sad part is that these nuts are absolutely essential for some types of alloys.
But these don't make the alloys completely safe either. Anybody who wants to steal alloys WILL have the right equipments and that includes the bit required for this wheel nut.

:(
Old 15th June 2009, 18:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Please be aware that the following type of wheel nuts are prone to rust and breakage. These nuts by design collect water and this leads to rust.

On second thoughts, it was good that it cracked during service. What if i had a puncture in the middle of the forest and it happened then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I am using these kind of wheel nuts and see some rust formation. Is there any way to prevent rusting of these?
Old 15th June 2009, 22:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Honda is selling such nuts as accessories. I saw it in the accessories section of Honda City website.

Can anyone explain the working of these nuts?
Old 16th June 2009, 11:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Am in bangalore, would appreciate if any one could answer these for me.
1. What are they called?
2. Where do i get them (in Blore)?
3. If you are already using them, how good is the quality of these 'special' spanners? (I wouldnt want them snapping when i am changing the tyre in the middle of no where - Worst Case Scenario.)
They are called Lock nuts.mention Chrome plated lock nuts for alloy wheels.
You can find then in Car accessory shops in JC road. I picked up mine from Auto World on JC road for 800 Rs. They provide you with a Lug/Bit which will fit into your standard spanner on one side and the nuts on the other side. They are fairly robust.
Old 16th June 2009, 13:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Honda is selling such nuts as accessories. I saw it in the accessories section of Honda City website.

Can anyone explain the working of these nuts?
There is NO locking thing happening here.
Apart from the regular wheel spanner, you need a "bit" to loosen this nut. One end of the bit goes into wheel spanner and the other ends goes into the nut. Thats it.
Old 16th June 2009, 16:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
There is NO locking thing happening here.
Apart from the regular wheel spanner, you need a "bit" to loosen this nut. One end of the bit goes into wheel spanner and the other ends goes into the nut. Thats it.
Thanks for the information. It doesn't seems as secure and safe when compared with what the marketers say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks