Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 21:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Tadu,

There have been scattered reports about "inconsistent manufacturing quality" of the S-drives here. If your tyres are under legal warranty, this problem might be something worthwhile pursuing with Yokohama India.
Old 19th October 2008, 01:03   #17
Team-BHP Support

Tadu, like I mentioned earlier you could try using nitrogen instead of air. It will keep the tyre cooler and probably in the sticky band longer.

Even I was surprised at how easily the tyre was losing traction but I attributed that to the wax/silicon protective layer on new tyre and the rain when we drove out of the dealer.

I doubt the fake part as they were purchased from a yokohama dealer here.

Till now we were seeing reviews of lightweight cars with less power on S-drives. Maybe with heavier more powerful cars the tyres do not perform as well.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2008, 04:56   #18
BHPian

Is there any possible chances of alignment issue tadu? if you can get it checked by other tyre dealer. unless you feel so.
Old 19th October 2008, 05:30   #19
BHPian

jeetu , go for pp2 , unless you spending for advans.
Old 19th October 2008, 08:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Tadu, like I mentioned earlier you could try using nitrogen instead of air. It will keep the tyre cooler and probably in the sticky band longer.
Vid.
I don't think that will solve the issue.
Nowhere its written that u need to drive S drives with nitrogen only.

Quote:
Till now we were seeing reviews of lightweight cars with less power on S-drives. Maybe with heavier more powerful cars the tyres do not perform as well.
Convince Ajmat to test his RS @ 140+ speeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Is there any possible chances of alignment issue tadu? if you can get it checked by other tyre dealer. unless you feel so.
The problem arises only after the tire becomes hot.

Last edited by kpzen : 19th October 2008 at 08:55.
Old 19th October 2008, 09:59   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Vid.
I don't think that will solve the issue.
Nowhere its written that u need to drive S drives with nitrogen only.
KP, that's true but the tyre performance does vary from car to car. Maybe for his cars dynamics the heat maybe a issue more than others. No harm in giving it a try I feel.

Jitu he got the entire suspension replaced after replacing the tyres as initially he thought the suspension might be the reason.

Also these tyres are an upsize from 195/60-15 to 205/55-15 on the OE alloy rims. Anyone know the rim width of elantra stock alloys?
Old 19th October 2008, 10:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone know the rim width of elantra stock alloys?
You have a point and i also thought of the same. Its 5.5 J

But how come brraj and other elantra madddd boys aren't have issues with 205...??

Hmm i'm not sure if brraj is having stock alloys??
Old 19th October 2008, 11:00   #23
Team-BHP Support

Are you running 3PSI above manufacturer recommended pressure(cold tire)? IF no try that
Old 19th October 2008, 11:16   #24
BHPian

Even i was wanting s drives for my new car. but after reading this , we need to hold the decision
Old 19th October 2008, 11:20   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Even i was wanting s drives for my new car. but after reading this , we need to hold the decision
Notorious the tyres are not bad at all. Tadu's problem may be due to several factors and not just the tyres alone.

Moreover his car is an Elantra and yours will be a swift VDi. Till now there is no negative feedback using S-drives on Swift. Swift is a lighter car which does not have the same power and torque as the Petes Elantra.

This review should not affect the decision as the circumstances are different.
Old 19th October 2008, 11:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
There have been scattered reports about "inconsistent manufacturing quality" of the S-drives here. If your tyres are under legal warranty, this problem might be something worthwhile pursuing with Yokohama India.
That thought did cross my mind, but providing irrefutable proof for a complex issue like this is easier said than done. Any ideas other than taking them for a joyride at 200?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
No harm in trying that again, if that is going to save the 18K. As I said earlier, the suspension is new, and the wheel alignment/balancing was done after the change.

Also, that drastic deterioration happens only when the tires heat up. To give you an example, we finished dinner at Mysore, and were starting back from Fishland(for the locals). There is a very sharp S-curve right after that, and I floored the throttle again to test, and the car promptly followed the right lines to catch up with the other two. Surprised mclaren and I so much, because we were expecting the same drama we saw on the way to Mysore. Of course, in some 10-15 minutes, the grip levels dropped off again, and it was then that we realized that the only the cold performance is within acceptable levels(~30% less compared to a PP2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
You have a point and i also thought of the same. Its 5.5 J

But how come brraj and other elantra madddd boys aren't have issues with 205...??

Hmm i'm not sure if brraj is having stock alloys??
Satya(cmiuc) is running 6J on 205/55/15 PP2 and brraj is on stock alloys, same size PP2. Of course, Satya's car handles better, but brraj's car is perfectly fine. Prabhuav's Elantra is also on stock alloys, and he did not have any issues either. I think he was on Bridgestones 205/60/15 Potenza P-III, on stock alloys, and again, no issues.

Also, I have used 205/60/15(+1 size from what we are talking) Michelins earlier with the best grip levels I ever had on this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Are you running 3PSI above manufacturer recommended pressure(cold tire)? IF no try that
Car or Tyre manufacturer recommended?

I have been using 32PSI for quite some time, that was what was working best for high speed highway use from my experience on the Michelins.

In this case, I tried 29, 30 and 32. The last trip to Mysore, it was running 30.
Old 19th October 2008, 12:03   #27
Jay
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
I did not have any trouble at those speeds either. Trouble starts only when you increase speed a bit more from there...

With some mods in, it does a bit more than that. I have seen an indicated 220, god knows what the real speed sans speedo error is.
Thats surprising to hear Tadu, as we ( Zak and myself ) Drove down from Mumbai in the Mivec clad with S Drives and we did pretty good speeds and had no trouble with the grip.
Old 19th October 2008, 12:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS View Post
Please dont take my feedback as a blanket negative rating for the tire. I have explained clearly what this is good at, and what this is bad at. If high speed braking performance is critical to you, then spent the extra dough and pick up a better tire. Jeetu's signature sums it very well. "Cheap and reliable wont be fast, cheap and fast wont be reliable, reliable and fast wont be cheap."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Thats surprising to hear Tadu, as we ( Zak and myself ) Drove down from Mumbai in the Mivec clad with S Drives and we did pretty good speeds and had no trouble with the grip.
I had a big time Yokohama fan in the car, and he has driven all these cars, with all the other tires mentioned here. Of course, we are talking mclaren, give him a call to really understand the effect these tires were having on the dynamics of the car. I dont think I have managed to fully explain the havoc in the thread.
tadukuttan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2008, 13:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post
* Drove to Kerala the next day. Speeds were low, mostly < 140. Did not have any issues, and was pleasantly surprised at the lack of aqua-planing compared to the Michelins I have been using. Heavy rain, and speeds upto 120, the tire was behaving very well. Road noise in the dry was bearable, even on broken surfaces. Grips fine on ghat roads.

* Drive back was much faster, and there started my troubles. Braking performance deteriorates drastically after around 10 minutes of high speed driving. Had a couple of major scares trying to slow down from 180+, reduced speed, and then again I forget all about it, speeds rise only to have the next scare...

I dont understand whats surprising if you are doing 180+ and tyre performance seems to be deteriorating.

You are driving them beyond their certified maximum sustained speed rating.

Name:  speed.gif
Views: 4207
Size:  7.7 KB

Source
Old 19th October 2008, 13:59   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I dont understand whats surprising if you are doing 180+ and tyre performance seems to be deteriorating.

You are driving them beyond their certified maximum sustained speed rating.

Attachment 61521

Source
The tyres are W rated which means they are certified for 270km/hr. How then?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks