Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 00:20   #586
BHPian

Re: Continental tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1386 View Post
I paid 6900 per 205/55/R16 UC6.
Pics in your OP says 205/60/R16, I believe above was a typo. 205/60 being a higher profile I am wondering why it is cheaper than 205/55 whether it is online or offline dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
The local dealer was quoting about 6000 for the 195 60 R15 tyres, which was available in amazon for 5300. I could get only 3 tyres for that price , but got the fourth one from a different seller for 200 Rs more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Secondly, how could you procure 4 tyres, when I tried on Amazon for the same UC6, Amazon was offering only 2 !!! I couldn't get 4 tyres, as the option there was only 2 Whoever replaces 2 tyres ONLY ?
Fortunately I didn't face that problem while ordering mine, ordered all 4 from the same seller. Maybe it depends on the seller.

Quote:
The only worry is about the warranty. In case there is any problem during the warranty period, who should I approach? is it enough to keep the invoice form the seller from Amazon. if anyone has bought these tyres from Amazon or any other online seller, Please share your experience or suggestion.
Quote:
Hi
I have a small query since you bought from Amazon. How did you get to know the manufacturing month and year before you bought online ? S
Lastly, how well they were delivered ? Packaging and time taken ?

PS - I have the same query like you about warranty
You have the option to ask a query to the seller via Amazon messages to know the manufacturing date and place order accordingly. They will mostly respond within a day or two.

Regarding warranty, refer to my post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
The tyres were manufactured in Aug 2021 and got the seller to register for Continental online warranty. Spoke to Continental support ahead of order and clarified if seller is registering warranty online, we will be able to claim warranty from any authorized dealer in India.
X-Factor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 09:34   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
205/60 being a higher profile I am wondering why it is cheaper than 205/55 whether it is online or offline dealers.
In my experience with 50/55/60 profile tyres, the higher the profile the cheaper it is. SOunds counter-intuitive but this is because the lower profiles demand more advanced (& expensive) engineering as the sidewall is shorter.

I am not aware of how the pricing plays out in the SUV profiles though.

Last edited by itwasntme : 29th January 2022 at 09:36.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 15:15   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Personally I have been a Michelin fanboy for years together and have used XM1,XM2,XM2+,Primacy LC, and always thought them as best suited for me and my driving style.

Now due to this embargo, I have been given a choice of Conti UC6 by my old dealer in Kolkata (Indo Radial Club). Also our resident tyre expert kpzen have told me to go for UC6, if I can't procure Michelin.

He told me Energy XM2+ ( my choice ) is unavailable for nearly a year now.
Same here, a fanatic of Michelin's XM series. The tyre shop from where we purchased all these years, informed us that they are expecting 185/65 R15 of XM2+ in 2024. Also, Conti UC6 was the first in his recommendation list in the absence of Michelin.

Therefore, had to settle for the UC6. Can't comment on the ride quality though since I've upsized the wheels from 14'' to 15''. Earlier, the 09 Swift used to sport 185/70 R14 rubber.
eccentric is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 11:55   #589

Quote:
Pics in your OP says 205/60/R16, I believe above was a typo. 205/60 being a higher profile I am wondering why it is cheaper than 205/55 whether it is online or offline dealers.

Typo indeed, with no option to edit the post. I do not know if the edit option is enabled later on, or doesn't exist.
Old 9th February 2022, 21:19   #590
BHPian

Finally settled for Continental shoes. Got the UC6 as recommended by dear kpzen for my new car

The car was delivered at my home on 6th February afternoon by the dealership and immediately after handover, I went out to replace the tires from Bridgestone Ecopia to Continental UC6
Would upload images soon. Initial experience is good, but it's way too early to further comment on how good they are
Old 21st February 2022, 18:35   #591
Senior - BHPian

After much contemplation I finally went ahead with Continental CC LX2 235 65 R17s for my XUV500. They weren't my first choice but more due to lack of any other good HT SUV tires that are comfort oriented and low on noise. Michelin Primacy SUV in that size havnt been in supply for years.

Got them yesterday and drove around 50km within the city and managed to hit 80-90kmph speeds for few seconds and results are very good. On tar roads tire noise is negligible. Feeling is very weird because now suddenly engine is so much louder and the creaks in the cabin . Lets see how they age but definitely good first impression. Have some left pulling issue, need to get alignment sorted out. It was fresh Feb 22 manufacturing stock.

Got my for 12.5K per tire. Changed all 4. Few snaps from the process of change.

Look at how Contis have flooded all Michelin showrooms . They are milking the made in India opportunity since imported tires are very limited.

Continental tyres-20220220_1129230.jpg
Continental tyres-20220220_113358.jpg
Continental tyres-20220220_114940.jpg
Continental tyres-20220220_120629.jpg
Continental tyres-20220220_124114.jpg
supertinu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 10:59   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
After much contemplation I finally went ahead with Continental CC LX2 235 65 R17s for my XUV500. They weren't my first choice but more due to lack of any other good HT SUV tires that are comfort oriented and low on noise. Michelin Primacy SUV in that size havnt been in supply for years.
I was waiting for your update on the tyres you have chosen. I may have to get my Bridgestone tyres changed next month as my XUV is completing 6 years, having run just 35000 km. Do keep us posted on the tyre performance. Where did you get the tyres changed? Was it in Whitefield?
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:38   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I was waiting for your update on the tyres you have chosen. I may have to get my Bridgestone tyres changed next month as my XUV is completing 6 years, having run just 35000 km. Do keep us posted on the tyre performance. Where did you get the tyres changed? Was it in Whitefield?
hey Raj, yes got these done at Shiva Sai Enterprises near Hoodi Circle. Will update in couple of weeks on experience. Need to get alignment issue fixed on the weekend. My driving has gone down with most of the time still being WFH.

My Bridgestone had completed 44K kms and had cracks on the tread all over. Extremely hard too. I was running them at 30psi to improve the ride.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 12:35   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..have been a Michelin fanboy for years .. XM1,XM2,XM2+,Primacy LC
...due to this embargo, I have been given a choice of Conti UC6

...What if they send me year old tyres ? ...
Same with UC 6. I am scared that I will get Conti this time, ...
Quote:
...local tyre shop told me that these tyres are in great demand and it is unlikely that you will get tyres that are over 6 months ..
My previous tyres were Michelin XM2 195/60/R15 and used them for 5 years/61 K KMs. The treads were still good enough but I replaced them as they had aged 5 years. Also I noticed a lot of very small cracks at the surface of the XM2s over time.

The stock tyres before the Michelin were 175/65/R15 MRF ZVTV and these got fully worn out in 2 years and 29 K KMs and 3 to 4 puncture events which was a hassle. The tyres were grippy but flimsy and not confidence inspiring at higher speeds being 175mm lower width.

I was apprehensive that once I shifted the Michelin XM2 195/60/15, the mileage would reduce due to the thicker tyres, but in reality it was the opposite. The 195mm XM2 proved to be more mileage efficient than the stock 175mm tyres and the mileage actually increased by 1 kmpl which was a pleasant surprise .
Also during the entire 61K KM of XM2 running, encountered only 1 puncture (it was a really nasty long nail).

The local tyre shop charged me 6250 per tyre for the UC6(1 month old). Although I found much cheaper pricing online, I didn't want to go the online route for tyre purchase as I didn't feel confident about their their quality and the chance of getting ones with older manufacturing dates.

Due to non availability of XM2+ which I wanted, I opted for Conti UC6 195/60/R15 after my local tyre vendor recommended the same.
Having used the UC6 for 5K KM, I've been happy with them. They run smooth and silent.

The grip levels of the Conti UC6 are higher than XM2 for sure but the mileage has dropped by 1 to 2 Kmpl. The XM2 tyres used to squeal on hard braking at curves or at higher speeds (110/120 kmph). Haven't heard any tyre squeals on the UC6 yet.
The UC6 seem to be a bit on the heavier side compared to XM2 which felt lighter.
Overall the UC6 seems like a good alternative to XM2.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 23rd February 2022 at 12:56.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 22:27   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
hey Raj, yes got these done at Shiva Sai Enterprises near Hoodi Circle. Will update in couple of weeks on experience. Need to get alignment issue fixed on the weekend. My driving has gone down with most of the time still being WFH.
I just saw now that your new tyres have both red and yellow dots. It seems that we need to align the red dot first and then if possible the yellow dot. I think your dealer just aligned the yellow dot with valve stem and this may be causing your alignment issues.

https://www.tyrebaydirect.com/tyres-...n%20the%20job.
mtnrajdeep is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 05:34   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just saw now that your new tyres have both red and yellow dots. It seems that we need to align the red dot first and then if possible the yellow dot. I think your dealer just aligned the yellow dot with valve stem and this may be causing your alignment issues.

Good Morning. If I may reply, matching tyre dots has nothing to do with Wheel alignment. It's more for weight distribution or fixing the high/low stiffness points of tyres thus giving best possible ride. Often it's the ride for which factories go for.

In layman terms, almost all tyres have some weight imbalance and the distribution isn't perfect. Also, the radial stiffness of tyres isn't same all throughout. For steel rims, we have issues like them not having perfect weight distribution/radius while for alloys, we have some degree of weight distribution imbalance(their shape is nearly perfect since they are cast).

Thus we have two options, either matching the high weight point of tyre with low weight point of rim, effectively cancelling them out, which helps in lesser weights being needed during balancing. Or, match the high radial stiffness part of tyre with low point of rim and get better ride quality.

Example of MSIL Alloy wheels:

Continental tyres-marutivitarabrezza30.jpg

Example of MSIL Steel Rims:

Continental tyres-tyre-spare.jpg

How it is done, from the service manual itself:

Continental tyres-20220225_043135.jpg

Michelin IMO is the only tyre brand which doesn't put dots on it's tyres, and they claim it to be as perfect as it can be. This freaked me out when I was in the market to buy tyres for my car, but that's what's true. I'm yet to see any Michelin tyre with High/Low dot marks.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 10:24   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for this Rajdeep. I wasnt aware of this concept at all. As you said the installer did take care of yellow dot but not red. Its a balancing thing and seem ok since I have driven and didnt see any issues yet. Will confirm this after triple digits again. But i am assuming as long as balancing is done well, it should be fine.

Alignment I will get fixed tomm mostly.
Old 26th February 2022, 11:59   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone who has used Continental CrossContact LX2 for long now, can you please share your experiences on the following points over time?

- Wet grip

- Puncture resistance

- Road noise

With Michelins not available in market, Continental seems to be the next best option for me. Another option is Yokohama Geolander G055.
Old 27th February 2022, 19:05   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Anyone who has used Continental CrossContact LX2 for long now, can you please share your experiences on the following points over time?

- Wet grip

- Puncture resistance

- Road noise

With Michelins not available in market, Continental seems to be the next best option for me. Another option is Yokohama Geolander G055.
You can go with either options you've stated, and you won't choose wrong. I'd personally used Continental CC LX2 on my Duster for approx 6500 Kms and they served me well. Driven them in Kerala during the monsoons and they never faltered. Never had a puncture during the time I owned them. Road noise is next to nothing since these are meant for 80% highways and 20% off-road usage.
mav3r1ckblu3 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 12:38   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
You can go with either options you've stated, and you won't choose wrong. I'd personally used Continental CC LX2 on my Duster for approx 6500 Kms and they served me well. Driven them in Kerala during the monsoons and they never faltered. Never had a puncture during the time I owned them. Road noise is next to nothing since these are meant for 80% highways and 20% off-road usage.
Yes, I am quite impressed with the low road noise with CCLX2s. Makes all the other sounds so much louder

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks