Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2014, 09:54   #316
BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Agreed, but I rotate my tyres every 10K kms. And Ford A.S.S. did not carry out a 5-wheel rotation when the car was new, as they were lazy to remove the tyre from the steel rim and mount it on the alloy. On my insistence, they did it the second time.

Since then, I've been doing only a 4-wheel rotation. I have retained the best stock tyre as the stepney, and will use it only for very few kms when needed. Meantime, I'll get the punctured tyre repaired a.s.a.p., whenever there is a puncture.
This is the reason I never do rotation at A.S.S. Always do it at Madhus. These guys are good. And always follows instructions. At 32K in 4 years, my all tires are equally worn-out!

For puncture, I have puncture kit in car, I also have inflater as well as pressure Gauge in car itself. Because of this I never used stepeny while riding.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:47   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
This is the reason I never do rotation at A.S.S. Always do it at Madhus. These guys are good. And always follows instructions. At 32K in 4 years, my all tires are equally worn-out!

For puncture, I have puncture kit in car, I also have inflater as well as pressure Gauge in car itself. Because of this I never used stepeny while riding.
+1. Based on lessons learnt, I've started getting my WA/WB done at Suresh Wheels and WheelOCity. They charge lesser and do a far better job.

I too have a puncture kit that I have never used so far. And also a compressor that works great. Only I've never used it so far on the Fiesta, but a couple of times on the WagonR. I've also used it to inflate large inflatable dolls many times!
Old 29th January 2014, 14:33   #318
BHPian

Quote:
In my case, I could not spot any decrease in F.E. I checked my F.E. sheet that I maintain meticulously, and there seems to be no drop. I was anticipating a drop of 2%, but that is tough to spot. For example, if I got 11.5 as the average, I can only infer that I'd have got around 11.8 if I had not upsized. But those figures in decimals hardly make a difference.
If the decrease in FE is in fractions , nothing like it I was worried it will reduce by 1 or 2 kms.

But what is the advantage of upgrading to 185s other than increase in GC ? and will there by any affect of larger tyre on the suspension, bearings, steering etc ?

How much will one tyre cost approximately (185s) ? From this thread I have understood Michelin XM2s are good , how are bridgestones ?

P.S : I bought a used fiesta (2010 ) model this month and I don't know much about them yet and their spares are really expensive compared to maruthi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
This is the reason I never do rotation at A.S.S.
Quote:
+1. Based on lessons learnt, I've started getting my WA/WB done at Suresh Wheels and WheelOCity. They charge lesser and do a far better job.
Raghu , the previous owner has not done it. I had an alto before, and I agree that the A.S.S guys don't do rotation and even I was getting it done only at Madhus.

Last edited by prguru : 29th January 2014 at 14:35. Reason: typo
Old 29th January 2014, 15:00   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post

But what is the advantage of upgrading to 185s other than increase in GC ? and will there by any affect of larger tyre on the suspension, bearings, steering etc ?

How much will one tyre cost approximately (185s) ? From this thread I have understood Michelin XM2s are good , how are bridgestones ?
Increased GC, better grip on wet roads/around corners and better braking power. I was told the pickup will decrease marginally and that the steering will feel a bit heavier, but in reality did not face either symptom. I've not seen any impact on suspension or bearings so far, but my car has done only 4000 kms on the new set of tyres.

The cost difference for XM2 with stock size was only Rs 50 per tyre.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:01   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Increased GC, better grip on wet roads/around corners and better braking power. I was told the pickup will decrease marginally and that the steering will feel a bit heavier, but in reality did not face either symptom. I've not seen any impact on suspension or bearings so far, but my car has done only 4000 kms on the new set of tyres.

The cost difference for XM2 with stock size was only Rs 50 per tyre.
Thanks for the info , shall go and check out 185s tomorrow itself .

Meanwhile if anybody has faced any negative impacts of upsizing to 185s please let me know.
Old 6th February 2014, 23:16   #321
BHPian

Quote:
vnabhi what will be the width of the rims ? My guess is it will remain same (5.5J ? ) for both 175s and 185s . I want to buy alloys from Ford and if the width changes the alloys might not fit 185s if there is any change in the width of rims.
The design is something like this
Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-fiestaalloy.jpg
Old 7th February 2014, 14:17   #322
Senior - BHPian

@prguru---even my alloys are stock ones. Yes, they will fit 185 profiles.

This new set of alloys you've posted look real good. My set is the 2nd generation of Ford alloyw, which are better than the first gen, but not asl good as these. You can take a look at my LTO thread , where the last page has a picture of my alloys.

Last edited by vnabhi : 7th February 2014 at 14:19.
Old 7th February 2014, 14:40   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
I want to buy alloys from Ford and if the width changes the alloys might not fit 185s if there is any change in the width of rims.
The design is something like this
These are pre-classic Fiesta SXI alloys. You can fit tires till 195 width! I have same with 195/65 tires.
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 13:44   #324
BHPian

This is the damage done by 185/65 R14 conti Eco contact 3 tyre on the left front. The other side is fine.
The scraping seems to happen at only at full lock turns or high speed turn on the highway.
There is no contact when wheels are turned in at standstill.
I am not able to understand the cause at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-image2962218941.jpg  

Old 10th February 2014, 15:22   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrebellz View Post
This is the damage done by 185/65 R14 conti Eco contact 3 tyre on the left front. The other side is fine.
The scraping seems to happen at only at full lock turns or high speed turn on the highway.
There is no contact when wheels are turned in at standstill.
I am not able to understand the cause at all.
Perplexing! Why only on one side? And who turns the wheels that much on high speed turns? Did you get your left shock absorber checked?

I haven't had any issues with my Figo that has completed 17000 kms, or with my Fiesta that has put in 4200 kms on the 185/65 size.
Old 10th April 2014, 14:11   #326
BHPian

Folks, deciding between CONTI ECO CONTACT 3 &
Michelin XM2 (spec 185/65 R14) for my Fiesta.

Would you recommend one over the other and if so why would that be. From what i have researched the warranty for Conti is only 2 years and also it seems the brand is less popular in India.

I'm getting the XM2 for 4.5K from SnapDeal. Conti, i believe would be around 4.7K.

Thanks much for any advice.
Old 19th May 2014, 19:05   #327
BHPian

Ford Fiesta Tyre change Query

Just an update, I got my tyres changed finally with the Michelins. It costed me 18.5k for a set of 4. Bought it through Snapdeal, the manufacture date is between the 10th & 11th weeks of this year.

Last edited by nemo : 19th May 2014 at 19:06.
Old 26th May 2014, 14:00   #328
BHPian

Hi - I have a Fiesta 1.6S. The standard tyre size is 195/55 R15. The car has currently run 43000kms and all the tyres have now worn out. Need to change them immediately.
Will keep the tyre profiles the same as it is. Presently, the car is used by my wife for city driving in Delhi and therefore comfort and less noise is priority. I hardly take it out of town or use it on high speed tracks.

The current ones are bridgestones which I have been quite happy with. A friend suggested Yoko S Drives, but there are mixed reviews about the tyre. Not being able to finalize which brand to buy.

Can someone suggest a suitable tyre brand for 195/55 R15 ? Also, if you are aware of current approximate prices, that info would also be helpful.
Old 26th May 2014, 15:18   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post
Will keep the tyre profiles the same as it is. Presently, the car is used by my wife for city driving in Delhi and therefore comfort and less noise is priority. I hardly take it out of town or use it on high speed tracks.

Can someone suggest a suitable tyre brand for 195/55 R15 ? Also, if you are aware of current approximate prices, that info would also be helpful.
If comfort and less tyre noise are a priority then consider the Yoko earth 1s.
However the only sizes available for 15"s on it are 195/65 and 205/65 as far as I remember.
Old 26th May 2014, 15:33   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravdebiswas View Post

You can check out Yokohama S Drives and Hankook Ventus Evo. And yes, there are mixed reviews on S Drives.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks