Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2023, 13:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz : Dropping wheel size from R16 to R14 to improve ride comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Increasing tyre profile so drastically will make handling worse, especially on a heavily built car where the stiffness of the tyre will help in mitigating body roll to some extent. You will end up with a worse steering response which will also affect safety since your steering will no longer be so accurate as before due to increased tyre flex.
He is talking about switching to the size that comes factory fitted on the lower variants. Should not make too much of a difference to handling or steering response, especially at city speeds.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 13:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
He is talking about switching to the size that comes factory fitted on the lower variants. Should not make too much of a difference to handling or steering response, especially at city speeds.
Yes, but compared to what’s currently the reference, it will take a hit. Why compromise on something which has originally been paid for when buying the higher variant.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 15:12   #18
BHPian

I own an Altroz XZ P with the 16" rims. These are fitted with some of the worst OEM tyres possible - the OEM MRfF zvtv.
The tyre is simply hard and has mediocre grip. The tyre performance was good initially but as it aged, it has become as hard as rock with high road noise, poor grip and hard ride.

I'd suggest you fit a 185/65 r16 tyre on existing rim with softer tyres such as the conti. I'm planning to ditch these tyres at the 30k kms mark. The Altroz is, by default, a stiff suspension car and with r14, there will be too much body roll. Even with r14, it may not be a supple ride. If possible, try a test drive with r14 equipped Altroz to confirm if it's worth the hassle.

Last edited by John P Daniel : 18th October 2023 at 15:12. Reason: Correction
John P Daniel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 16:38   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbvg@ View Post
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. While I have tried dropping the tyre pressure to 32 PSI, I will once again try lowering the tire pressure to 28~30 PSI as another step to see how it affects the ride quality. While addressing my primary concern, it's clear that there are larger issues to consider – warranty, insurance, and the potential impact on ABS and ESP systems.
Please do not drive with tires that are underinflated, its plenty bad for the tires. If a suspension is designed to be stiff and provide a more engaging driving experience, you cannot undo that by increasing the sidewall or under inflating the tires, at best it may reduce some of the harshness from a rough road but at the same time it wont let the suspension do its job properly.

A downgrade of tire is recommended only in cases where it is absurdly low profile, cracks the tires and bends the rims frequently.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 17:53   #20

Hi,
I'm fairly new to this topic. But, can I ask, why would you go for 14s, won't it look much smaller in comparison. Have you considered 15s with a lower width and a slightly thicker tyre wall than the 16s. 🤔
hkr46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 18:13   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkr46 View Post
Hi,
Have you considered 15s with a lower width and a slightly thicker tyre wall than the 16s. ��
Hi, I thought of having maximum increase in the sidewall without much change in the diameter. 14s are giving almost 28% increase in sidewall thickness.

But I think 185/65 R15s would also be a good option, without compromising on looks. Let me explore that option as well, after discussing with my SA.

Last edited by rbvg@ : 3rd November 2023 at 18:29. Reason: Added few points
rbvg@ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 08:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbvg@ View Post
I am planning to downsize to R14 alloys and fitting softer 195/70 R14 tyres. Given that this change would result in a mere 1.2% alteration in overall diameter, well within the acceptable 3% change limit, and with a 28% increase in sidewall height, I believe this combination offers a more comfortable ride.
As far as I'm aware, just changing the tyre size too would void the warranty of the suspension. We bought a diesel Altroz (has 185/60 R16 tyres) and subsequently got it tuned to stage 1 by T8 performance so naturally we wanted to upsize it to 195/55 (sold on petrol Altroz) or 205/55 but the dealership recommended against it citing warranty concerns.

If this is not an issue, you can go ahead with the downsizing, if not maybe you could try tyres of the same OEM size with good comfort like the michelins which by themselves would make a substantial difference
Chaman K is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks