Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2023, 10:44   #1
Team-BHP Support

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more

Intro & Brand History

Motion, in essence, depends on the ability to 'put the power down'.

It matters little whether you're Fred Flintstone furiously pumping your brawny legs under the Flintmobile, a commuter tootling along in a tiny road-legal contraption whose spec sheet in the 0-100 column merely says 'maybe, if rolling downhill with a tailwind', a racer sat on a starting grid waiting for the red lights to go out, a maverick chasing land speed records in a jet-powered thingamajig or a space explorer trying to crawl on the moon. You're getting nowhere until the Gods of traction bestow upon you, the almighty Contact Patch - a surface often barely larger than the size of a human palm, yet the difference between you shooting off into the distance in a blur or stuck spinning wheels in situ, bystanders wondering whether it's you or your ride whining louder.

Motion, the bedrock of all progress; past, present and future. From our first steps as toddlers, to changing the world, all driven by one common factor: motion.

To get somewhere, one must start somewhere. Akron, Ohio is as good a place as any, a bicycle tyre and horseshoe pads are as good a starting point as any. You take that humble beginning, spend a hundred and twenty-five years developing, evolving products and expertise across a broad range of applications across varied market segments, pioneer some technologies and become the provider of the almighty contact patch to enable mobility across the spectrum from bicycles to space explorers, it's fair to say you've crossed a few milestones and left some tread-marks in your wake.

We're talking of Goodyear, one of the world's biggest tyre brands.

Name:  Milestones.gif
Views: 577
Size:  3.45 MB

Goodyear invited Team-BHP to join them in Malaysia to celebrate '125 Years In Motion'. A two-day event in Kuala Lumpur focused on the Asia Pacific region, spanning a showcase of the brand's history, their latest tech innovations driving the present and future of mobility, launch of their latest automotive tyre offerings for Asia Pacific and an opportunity to experience some of these products at the iconic Sepang International Circuit. The event was attended by nearly 300 customer representatives and 100 media members over its duration.

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-welcome-brand-logo.jpg

A thoughtfully classy touch, delivered right after we checked in on Day 0:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-welcome-cake.jpg

Goodyear tyres are sold in two distinct tyre markets - the replacement market and original equipment (OE) market. It has 9 manufacturing facilities in this region; 3 in China, 2 in India and 1 each in Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 10:53.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 10:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Day 1 Morning Session: Product Launch

Beginning the event, Goodyear unveiled four product lines for the Asia Pacific region
  1. Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 (Luxury Sports)
  2. Wrangler Duratrac RT (Premium 4x4 Off-Road)
  3. ElectricDrive (EV)
  4. Assurance Maxguard (Mid Passenger)

Product launch with Greg Hanna (Vice President, Product Development & Quality, Asia Pacific), Nathaniel Madarang (President, Asia Pacific) and Pietro Saletta (Vice President, Consumer Tyres, Asia Pacific):
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-product-launch.jpeg

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6

The latest iteration of Goodyear's high-performance Eagle F1 range is about better grip in both dry & wet conditions, improved handling and lower noise.

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 Profile:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-eagle-f1-asymmetric-6.jpg

Goodyear claim that their Dry Contact Plus Tech features an adaptive contact patch and optimized cavity shape to adapt to load variations. This helps tyre stability and steering precision even on a rough road at high speeds.

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 Description:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-eagle-f1-asymmetric-6-description.jpg

Goodyear's Wet Braking Pro Tech features a cap compound with a new resin system allowing the tyre to have more micro-contact and thus, improved wet braking and handling on wet roads.

A thinner sipe design on central ribs is claimed to offer lower noise generation, and the radial chamfered groove helps to further dampen noise frequencies. Additional innovations include a reduction in overall tyre weight and an aerodynamic sidewall shape to manage turbulence and airflow around the tyre and the side of the vehicle.

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 Brochure:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-eagle-f1-asymmetric-6-brochure.jpg

Wrangler Duratrac RT

Goodyear's new Rugged Terrain (RT) offering is aimed at providing a balance between All Terrain (AT) & Mud Terrain (MT) characteristics. 3-ply sidewall construction enhances sidewall damage protection, while reinforced tread compound offers improved chipping resistance.

Wrangler Duratrac RT Profile:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-wrangler-duratrac-rt.jpg

Solid tread blocks have more biting edges, claimed to improve grip across mud, snow and assorted rugged terrain. Deeper tread blocks combined with an aggressive shoulder design (DuraEdge Technology in Goodyear terms) provide improved protection against rocks and other sharp off-road hazards.

Wrangler Duratrac RT Description:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-wrangler-duratrac-rt-description.jpg

Wrangler Duratrac RT Brochure:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-wrangler-duratec-rt-brochure.jpg

ElectricDrive

Goodyear's first offering specially designed for Electric Vehicles is powered by Goodyear ETCR racing technology, drawing on their work on the FIA ETCR (eTouring Car World Cup) racing tyres.

ElectricDrive Profile:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-electricdrive.jpg

The tyre is specifically designed for performance keeping key EV aspects in mind:
  • Higher load-bearing capacity due to increased weight
  • Superior traction for instantaneous torque from EV drive motors
  • Rolling noise reduction to match silent EV powertrains
  • Lower rolling resistance to improve range-per-charge
  • Higher tyre life for improved sustainability and waste reduction

ElectricDrive Description:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-electricdrive-description.jpg

A wider rib design and high-tech cap compound adapted from their ETCR tyre is claimed to help cope with higher traction demands of instantaneous EV torque, while better wet grip comes from their patented circuit board rib pattern showcased on the Goodyear Concept EV tyre at the 2018 Geneva International Motor Show.

ElectricDrive aims to reduce environmental impact by using a specially formulated compound providing improved tread-wear performance (compared with Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance), enabling longer replacement cycles and reducing pollution and waste.

ElectricDrive Brochure:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-electricdrive-brochure.jpg

Assurance Maxguard

Maxguard - the latest offering in the Assurance product line inspired by the Goodyear 360 Concept features ActiveGrip Technology with a water-wave shield tread pattern and optimised cavity shapes offering enhanced braking performance and reduced wet braking distance. Goodyear claim a 10% increased contact patch and a full silica tread compound with 80% more silica (both numbers compared to Assurance TripleMax 2 tyre).

Assurance Maxguard Profile:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-assurance-maxguard.jpg

Maxguard also features DuraGuard Technology including a 2-ply construction, higher cord density and high tensile steel belting for improved road impact and damage resistance.

Assurance Maxguard Description:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-assurance-maxguard-description.jpg

Additional innovations in the construction include wet booster resin in the tread, additional non-skid gauges to enhance wearable rubber volume and high-performance polymers to improve wear resistance.

Assurance Maxguard Brochure:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-assurance-maxguard-brochure.jpg

Assurance Maxguard Tread Pattern:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-assurance-maxguard-tread-pattern.jpg

Assurance Maxguard has been launched in India as of 21 September 2023, and will be offered in a variety of 15-17" sizes for compact, mid-size and entry luxury segment vehicles. Availability of the other offerings in India will depend on market dynamics, and no specific dates or launch plans were indicated at the event.

Assurance Maxguard India spec sheet:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-assurance-maxguard-india.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 10:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 10:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Day 1 Morning Session (continued): Technology Showcase

In addition to the product launch, Goodyear also showcased some of their innovation concepts and AI / telemetry based solutions. A sim racing booth was also available for us to have some fun and showcase our driving skills.

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-technology-showcase.jpeg

Sightline: Tyre Intelligence

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-sightline-description-1.jpg

Goodyear Sightline is a tyre tech suite based around sensing real-time conditions. Will be able to communicate tyre health, road conditions and other parameters to drivers, vehicles, fleet operators and smart municipalities.

Aero: 2-in-1 Autonomous Mobility Solution

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-aero.jpg

The Aero concept has been visualised as a 2-in-1 tyre for autonomous flying vehicles in the future; capable of doubling up as a road-going tyre, and a propeller for aerial applications.

NexTrek: Airless NPT (Non-Pneumatic Tyre)

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-airless-npt.jpg

NexTrek is Goodyear's airless tyre solution. It is currently being field tested for autonomous passenger, cargo and micro-delivery applications, the latter via Goodyear Venture portfolio's Starship Technologies last-mile package delivery robots.

Eagle 360 Urban Concept: Powered by AI

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-eagle-360-urban-concept.jpg

Goodyear's concept vision for autonomous ride-sharing vehicles of the future. Powered by an AI unit at its core, the tyre features a 3D-printed bionic skin made of super elastic polymer, giving it the ability to expand and contract like human skin to adjust to varying conditions it's subjected to.

Triple Tube Concept

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-triple-tube-1.jpg

The triple tube concept features a rice husk ash silica compound construction. The tyre consists of a main air chamber supplemented by three additional control chambers, capable of multiple driving positions:

Eco/Safety Position: Fully inflated chambers, offering reduced rolling resistance

Sporty Position: Reduced inflation in inboard shoulder tube, to increase contact patch for dry handling

Wet Traction Position: Max inflation in centre tube, to provide high aquaplaning resistance

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-triple-tube-2.jpg

LF-30 Electrified Concept

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-lf30-electrified-concept-1.jpg

This is a tailor-made concept tyre for the Lexus LF-30 Electrified Concept. The tyre features a rim integrated into the tyre sidewall, and an aerodynamic design that directs airflow towards the electric motor and extracts it through fins on the rim design. The tyre also features noise reduction through biomimicry, velvet hair-like fibres on the outer edge of the rim cooling fins designed to absorb road impact noise.

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-lf30-electrified-concept-2.jpg

A visualisation can be found here.

Goodyear Racing Booth

Sim Racing booth. One could compete on the lap-time leaderboard:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-sim-racing-booth.jpg

A cutout of the NASCAR racing tyre was on display:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-nascar-race-tire-cutout-1.jpg

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-nascar-race-tire-description.jpg

A close-up view of the secondary inner tubeless safety spare:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-nascar-race-tire-cutout-2.jpg

BetterFuture: 90% Sustainable Demonstration Tyre

A demo specimen of Goodyear's BetterFuture tyre, made of 90% sustainable materials, was on display:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-betterfuture-sustainable-tire.jpeg

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-90-sustainable-tire.jpg

A display of sustainable raw materials Goodyear are leveraging to meet their sustainability goals:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-sustainable-materials.jpg

Goodyear's short & long-term Corporate Responsibility Ambitions:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-goodyear-csr-ambitions.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 10:50.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 10:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Day 1 (Afternoon Session): Track Day @ Sepang International Circuit

Finally, it is time to go to Sepang!

Sepang is special for me. Those of you who grew up around the turn of the century like me and/or are video game aficionados, will remember F1 2002, arguably one of EA Sports' most popular PC gaming titles of that era. Of all the historic tracks on that game (including the old Nürburgring layout, if memory serves me right), I found myself fascinated by this recent (for that time) 'Tilkedrome', arguably one of Hermann Tilke's finest efforts. I spent hours playing it in time-trial mode on my modest PC, the BMW-Williams of Juan Pablo Montoya my car of choice as I tried to shave fractions of a second off my lap time. Ah, happy days!

Driving at Sepang became a bucket list item, long before I truly knew the significance of one. I had no idea if it'll ever get checked off of it, but then you don't make bucket lists of stuff you expect to happen, do you?

Cut to present, nearly two decades later, I find myself at this sign. My inner kid is doing cartwheels (outer adult would too, if he could!) and if my grin got any wider it'd turn my face inside out. A fellow media colleague notices me staring at it, and offers to take a picture. Thank you, good Sir!
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-sepang-banner.jpeg

We're taken straight to the 'Briefing Pit', where the event team takes us through the day's agenda while we sign indemnity paperwork and join our color-coded groups we were given wrist tags for earlier in the morning (I got Green):
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-briefing-pit-4.jpeg

First up, safety briefing. Sign the forms, stay with your assigned group, obey instructors at all times. Simple and to the point:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-briefing-pit-3.jpeg

We are then briefed on the events of the day, and location of each on the track premises:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-briefing-pit-5.jpeg

The day's agenda, designed around driving experience with the newly launched tyres:
  1. Dry Handling with Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6, two laps on a modified track layout
  2. Wet/Dry Slalom with Assurance Maxguard further down the main straight (near turn 1)
  3. Off-road with Wrangler Duratrac RT at a custom 4x4 track elsewhere on the premises
  4. EV Workshop, a presentation about the ElectricDrive tyre
  5. Wet Braking Experience with Assurance Maxguard along the main straight
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-test-drive-layout.png

Before we set off to the driving experience areas, there's a demo comparison of the Assurance Maxguard's wet braking abilities with a competitor's tyre. A volunteer is sought, and yours truly puts his hand up before anyone else can react.

Off I go, riding shotgun with Goodyear test driver Azizi in a Civic RS shod with a set of the competitor's tyres (not at liberty to take names, though it's a rather popular brand).

The track has been Bernie Ecclestone'd, as in trackside sprinklers used to create a wet patch for the test, and we'll be rolling down at about 60 km/h before slamming the brakes, while a RaceLogic display in front of me captures stopping time & distance:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-civic-rs.jpeg

Run 1 - Competitor's tyre:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-braking-competitor.jpg

We pull into the pits for a quick tyre swap to Goodyear rubber and out we go again:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-tire-change.jpeg

Run 2 - Assurance Maxguard:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-braking-assurance-maxguard.jpg

With the usual caveats; same car, same bit of road, same driver etc. What stood out to me wasn't just the difference in stopping time and distance, but the tyre's behaviour under braking.

The Assurance Maxguard is noticeably more composed, appears to have more grip and the Civic's ABS kicks in far less violently compared to the other tyre we demoed. We'll be driving the Civic again later, so there'll be a chance to validate the first impression.

We hop onto a shuttle and make tracks to our first driving experience of the day: Dry Handling with Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6. We'll be driving two laps of a modified layout on the south side of the track, consisting of the back straight and turns 8 through 14. Not the whole track as I'd love to do, but arguably my favorite infield bits of the circuit have been included, so I ain't complaining.

Before any actual driving takes place, is a chance to pretend you're a racing driver for the day, walking down the pit-lane to your garage, like all the famous ones do on a race weekend:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-pit-walk.jpeg

Another angle, because why not! It's fun playing pretend racing driver:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-pit-walk-2.jpeg

Safety and lap layout briefing done. Helmet on. Time to Drive:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-helmet.jpeg

Drive what, you ask? One of these!
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-amg-lineup.jpeg

More specifically, THIS!!!
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-amg-a45s-front.jpg

Again, yours truly has called dibs on the only hot hatch in the fleet before anyone else could blink. Pays to be quick, eh? The others will have to make do with CLA45S specimens, the coupé cousin. Hatchbacks for the win, I say!
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-amg-a45s-rear.jpg

An AMG A45S, powered by a 2-litre turbo petrol heart mated to an 8-speed AMG Speedshift DCT. Puts down ~420 horses through delicious-looking 19-inch forged wheels, gallops to 100 in 3.9 ticks of your heart and tops out around 270 km/h. A spoiler at the back large enough that people more vertically-endowed than me could eat their lunch off of it. Nevertheless, the AMG looks compact and quick, just how I like it!

An instructor rides shotgun, both to ensure you drive within the track & car's - and most importantly - your limits, and to remind you having signed up for a hefty fine if you disobey the instructor or damage the car. No reminders needed, I say, and we head out.

Out lap is done at a brisk but not-full-beans-yet pace, as the instructor points out the lines (marked by cones I wish weren't there), braking and corner entry/exit points, apexes etc. He quickly realises I'm very familiar with the track and comfortable with the car, so lets me drive and speaks up only when a cautionary word is needed.

We come out of turn 14, everything dialed up, gearbox in manual mode in 2nd gear for the give-it-the-beans hot lap. Gun it, he says. Already did, I say grinning wide, as the growl of the motor drowns both of us out! We get up to speeds only legal on a race track, blast past the pits and approach the kink at the end of the straight in what felt like barely a heartbeat.

'We just left Turn 14!'

'Yeah.'

'This thing is quick, and LOUD!'

'Yeah. Brake & downshift.'

As I tap the flappy paddles to hit M2 while slowing down for the corner (slight kink right and a revised hairpin at turn 8), the motor growls like it'll rip my head off. We go through the corners, hitting the apexes and hugging (and sometimes slipping a bit off) the racing line, the rear itching to step out but the tyres holding it in (barely), until the lap is done as quickly as it began.

One of the most fun-condensed 5 minutes or so I've ever had. Unfortunately, no second go (I asked, shamelessly!) so I have to reluctantly get out and hand the car over to the next person in line.

Down the straight:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-amg-straight.jpeg

Through the infield:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-amg-corner-recon.jpeg

Out of the corner:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-amg-cornering.jpeg

One of the AMGs barreling down the straight (turn the sound UP, or use headphones!). The camera mic doesn't do justice capturing the aural experience in the slightest. It has to be heard in person, both at full tilt and when aggressively downshifting:

A close up shot of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 on a CLA45S. Two laps are a small sample to judge a tyre on, but given what we put it through on the shortened lap, the tyre held its own and never felt like it wasn't up to the little pocket rocket it was attached to:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-eagle-f1-asymmetric-6-tire-profile.jpg

Off to the next stop, Wet Slalom with the Assurance Maxguard, mounted on vanilla C200 specimens:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-wet-slalom-title.jpeg

The sprinklers are taking a break, so no Ecclestone-ing the track for this bit for our round and we ended up with an impromptu dry slalom. The task is simple enough; out of the pits, U-turn and line up on main straight for a standing start, speed up to about 50-60 km/h and swerve around the slalom course without knocking down the cones, then stop in an assigned box. Go around, and do it again.

Doing this straight after the AMG laps, the C-Class feels S-L-O-W. Still, the tyres feel grippy at mid-double digit speeds, minimal squeal as we swerved around the cones before braking to a stop.

A couple pics from an earlier session on a wet track:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-wet-slalom-1.jpeg

With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-wet-slalom-2.jpeg

A close up shot of the Assurance Maxguard:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-assurance-maxguard-tire-profile.jpg

Hot enough after a dry slalom run for pebbles to stick:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-assurance-maxguard-tread-pattern.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 10:49.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 10:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

'Let's get off the road!' isn't something you'd usually expect to hear (or think) at Sepang because the image it conjures up in your mind is slipping off the track and into a wall.

None of the slippy-crashy stuff here, no sir. We are actually going off-roading, on a track built for the event somewhere in the circuit's expansive premises, to sample the new Wrangler Duratrac RT rubber.

We arrive in a shuttle, to this:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-sepang-offroading.jpeg

Closer up, hello there muddy buddy!
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-sepang-offroading-2.jpeg

A quick course briefing later, we're ready to go. Buckling up to rock & roll:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-offroad-buckle-up.jpeg

First up, articulation pit. A bunch of sideways inclines arranged to give you a proper sideways jostling:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-fortuner-articulation.jpeg

Another angle in a Hilux:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-hilux-articulation.jpeg

Closer up:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-hilux-articulation-1.jpeg

On to a steep incline:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-fortuner-uphill.jpeg

How steep exactly? Inside the car, you're pointing at the sky going up, unsighted until the front wheels land at the top. From the outside, it looks like this:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-hilux-uphill.jpeg

Next up, SPLASH! You straighten out on the approach, gun it and hit the wet stuff going 'WHEEEEEEE!'. You may look like an adult, be an adult, but in that one moment, you feel like a 3-year-old in a rainy puddle:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-fortuner-splash.jpeg

A quick swing through a slushy stretch...
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-fortuner-slush.jpeg

...to arrive at the final obstacle, a steep sideways incline we're encouraged to try & hit the top of. Some drivers are understandably skeptical of putting a wheel off and sliding down the other side, but some brave it:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-fortuner-incline.jpeg

Closer up:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-offroad-tire-closeup.jpeg

Really Close:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-offroad-tire-closeup-2.jpg

A look at the stubby tread pattern:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-wrangler-duratrac-rt-tread-pattern.jpg

The aggressive design makes it look really butch too, so two-for-one, off-road enthusiasts pick this tyre for their rides.

I'm enjoying myself so much that I ask the event team if I could possibly get another go. Turns out, there were more cars than drivers - both because of the batch setup and some participants opting out of driving - so they put me in again!

'WHEEEEEEE!'

Next stop, EV workshop. A Tesla Model 3 is on display shod with the ElectricDrive tyre, but there will be, rather unfortunately, no driving involved here:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-tesla.jpg

A shame, because it's the potent dual motor variant that'd be lovely on track:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-tesla-rear.jpg

Closer look at the ElectricDrive tyre:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-electricdrive-tire-profile.jpg

Even without driving involved, it is a fantastic session. The presenter, Ilhan Demet from Goodyear, is an engineer by craft and at heart, and it shows. In a wide-ranging conversation, several aspects of creating an EV-specific tyre are discussed in great detail.

Specialised sidewall construction to handle the extra weight and low centre-of-gravity weight distribution, patented tread pattern and how the high pitch count means more road:tyre contact and less consequent resonance per rotation, a barrier gum layer within the tyre to manage resonance, added foam layer to further reduce vibrations, even minute details like recessed sidewall lettering to improve airflow around the tyre that'd reduce the drag coefficient further by a small fraction, are all explained with some great supporting explanatory visuals and animation. As someone who deals with presentations frequently, I know a solid one when I see it. Top man, Ilhan!

On to the final driving event of the day, wet braking experience with Assurance Maxguard. Time to check if my first impression of the tyre from the demo earlier in the day still holds.

The event is pretty straightforward, you drive onto a designated start point on the main straight, give it the beans until you approach the braking point marker for the wet patch prepared for the demo and then slam the brakes. Go round and do it a second time, starting a little further back & going a little faster.

We'll be driving a Civic RS, 1.5-litre turbo petrol churning out a very respectable 182 horses:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-civic-rs-front.jpg

And more importantly for this demo, 240 Nm of torque, laid down through these beautiful alloys:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-assurance-maxguard-civic-rs.jpg

Can't really show braking in pictures, so here's a short clip:

We are not doing comparison runs now, but the tyres confirm my earlier impression of them. Braking on the wet patch is composed and precise, ABS judder is not very intrusive, and no fishtailing business. The car stops well within the markers in a straight line without fuss, even on the second run done at a faster clip (~60 km/h on the first run and ~80 km/h on the second).

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 10:49.
Old 6th October 2023, 10:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

With the driving bits done, it's time to leg it to Turn 15 to capture a few parting shots of the day's fleet.

I've had a whale of a time; in the AMG around the lap with that oh-so-sweet motor in my ears whether at full beans down the straight or downshifting at the end of it, climbing inclines and splashing mud in the big brute SUVs, dodging cones in the C-Class and slamming brakes in the Civic RS. Heck, even just sitting in a garage listening to Ilhan talk us through his top-notch presentation, it's been a day full of fun moments.

All our steeds for the day, lined up at the magnificent Turn 15:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-eod-lineup.jpeg

My favorite car of the day. Make no mistake, the AMG is aspirational, a hoot and a half to drive and I'd do laps until the wheels fall off given half a chance, but the RS is a reminder that one doesn't need to spend a fortune to have fun. It's accessible thrills at an affordable price; fun-to-drive shouldn't have a tall entry barrier.
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-civic-rs-t15.jpg

Side note: whatever (if anything) Honda has done to the CVT on the RS, it felt neither as whiny nor as rubber-bandy as CVTs are usually notorious for!

A picture with the RS:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-civic-rs-t15-cr.jpg

Special mention to the event crew. Ivan and his team of instructors ensured we all knew the rules and played by them at all times, both at the briefing pit and at each driving venue, making it a safe and enjoyable experience for all:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-ivan-khong.jpeg

Trackside boss for the day, Jenner. His team had the unenviable task of curating, designing and managing a single-day event for a large contingent of visitors with varying driving skills, across language barriers and significant time constraints, while still being patient and accommodative of participants' needs. Paraphrasing something he said when we caught up near the end of day: When man, machine and terrain are not in sync, incidents happen.

Getting the whole event done seamlessly and without incident is no mean feat, I doff my hat to him and his team for a thoroughly professional job:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-jenner-powell.jpeg

Through the day, I cross paths with Azizi a few times in the pits. First at the demo at the beginning of our track day, then again at the wet braking drive event and later at dinner. He's a test driver with Goodyear, travels the world testing products with OEM partners, and recently spent time at Mahindra SUV Proving Track (MSPT) in Chennai. A fellow car nut, foodie and lover of the Sepang track! I've made a new friend:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-azizi.jpeg

As everyone hops onto shuttles back to the main paddock for dinner, I decide to walk down the main straight and reflect on my day. I'd have loved to walk the full circuit, but some sections were off-limits due to ongoing work for the upcoming Moto GP event.

Yes, you go 'VROOM, VROOM, ZOOM!' that way!
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-sepang-main-straight.jpg

The sun is setting behind the paddock as I trundle down the main straight. Ain't it pretty?
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-sunset-sepang-t15.jpg

It's surreal walking down the straight beside an empty grandstand as the light fades, I'm thinking this is how the crew leaving last after a race weekend must feel.

I've felt the growl of the AMG's motor as I gunned it out of turn 14, I've had a knot in my stomach going up a steep incline unsighted, I've gone 'WHEEEEEEE!' splashing mud like a toddler, I've met some great people and fellow enthusiasts. All in one day. All at a track I'd only ever hoped to be driving on, the fanciful hope of a little kid in a small town.

My FIA Grade 1 circuit driving list is now 2/41.

Apropos to how I feel as I arrive at the start/finish line, it's lights out for the day. Sepang, I hope to set foot and rubber down here again. Someday!
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-sepang-lights-out.jpg

It's been a fantastic day. I've missed most of the dinner event lost in my musings walking down the track. There'll be other opportunities to eat, I'm savoring the dopamine rush for the moment. Still, what better way to round off a fantastic day than sneak a serving of gelato? Two servings of gelato!! The gentleman serving was generous enough to let me make my own with all the toppings I wanted!

It doesn't take much to make me happy.
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-gelato.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 10:48.
Old 6th October 2023, 10:45   #7
Team-BHP Support

Day 2: Media Discussion with Goodyear Asia Pacific Leadership

To close out the event, a panel discussion with Goodyear's Asia Pacific Leadership was arranged. Greg Hanna (Vice President, Product Development & Quality, Asia Pacific), Nathaniel Madarang (President, Asia Pacific) and Helen Pei (Director, Communications, Asia Pacific) were present:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-media-discusssion.jpg

The discussion focused on a broad range of topics with questions from regional media focusing on product mix, launch plans, industrial waste management, sustainability goals and innovation.

Given their position as a top tyre manufacturer and their AI & telemetry based innovation, I requested them to elaborate on plans to integrate their technology innovation into mass-market offerings, especially given the proliferation of ADAS (Level 1 & 2) in non-luxury segments in a market like India as part of their roadmap to enable transition from human-driven to AI/Telemetry-enabled (semi & fully) autonomous mobility.

Goodyear's response focused on two key aspects:

1. Industry Partnerships: The ability to integrate their technology offerings with on-board technologies in passenger and commercial vehicles would depend largely on collaboration with other OEMs and technology solution providers. Examples quoted were of Goodyear's partnership with ZF to develop one-stop tyre & fleet management solutions and their partnership with Gatik in developing autonomous B2B short-haul logistics solutions.

2. Standardisation: Agreement on industry standards across the board, both regulatory and proprietary, would be critical to develop and accelerate integration with consumer offerings, with an eye on safety and viability.

As the event drew to a close, it's worth pausing for a moment and appreciating all the technology that works silently in the background enabling everything we do. As things evolve, we're likely to see more and more intelligent self-learning automation replacing things we do manually. For now, it's time to bid goodbye to Malaysia; a fantastic venue and a wonderful country to visit.

Speaking of innovation, it's fitting to end this report with a picture I captured wandering downtown of a marvel of technological innovation and engineering excellence:
With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more-twin-towers.jpg

Disclaimer: Goodyear invited Team-BHP to the '125 Years In Motion' event, and covered all travel expenses. Credit also to Goodyear's event team and photographers for some of the pictures featured in this report.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 10:47.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 10:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: With Goodyear Tyres @ Sepang Race Track | AMGs, Tyre Technology and more

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Aditya : 6th October 2023 at 10:54.
Aditya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 11:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Yes, you go 'VROOM, VROOM, ZOOM!' that way!
The level of excitement would have easily redlined over there! Simply WoW. The photos and the write up can only do limited justice to the euphoria, nevertheless sitting at home reading your excellent write up I could virtually put myself there. Thanks for sharing.
skyocean is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 12:01   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely love the enthusiastic style of writing, Chetan! We truly experienced the track day through your eyes / words. Clearly a well-organised event and your getting extra laps was the ultimate icing on the cake.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 13:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Absolutely love the enthusiastic style of writing, Chetan! We truly experienced the track day through your eyes / words. Clearly a well-organised event and your getting extra laps was the ultimate icing on the cake.
Credit to the event team for a stellar job.

The laps, well, I take a 'If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you ask, it may be yes.' approach to things!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 13:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amazing so see such an event detailing the technology behind a donut of rubber moving the planet. Enjoyed the photos, esp. the AMG in grey & the RS on turn 15.

Regardless of their capabilities on a track and performance comparison with a “competitor”, I avoid even passing in front a Goodyear showroom after having a pathetic experience with Goodyear Assurance (Had wonderful experience with 2 sets of OEM GT3 and 1 set of retail GT3 from Goodyear though).

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 6th October 2023 at 13:49.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 09:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

This is an extremely detailed, well researched, well illustrated and well articulated thread and I really enjoyed reading it and learning.

I wonder now, personal preferences aside, whether truly all good tyres made by all good manufacturers are really that much different or not, from each other after all.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 19:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

The maxguard appears to have been launched in india as well. Has anyone bought/used these on indian roads? My local dealer has these at the same price range as Yoko Bluearth AE51/Conti UC6 and Vredestein ultrac.

I am mostly looking for wet grip, ride comfort and durability (and in that order). Had a bad experience with conti, so not really keen on them.The stock Goodyeard DB-V1 have been doing a great job, so goodyear has a chance to make the shortlist.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks