Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2023, 23:59   #1
BHPian

Puncture or no puncture?

Dear all,

We encountered a peculiar incident today. We had been on a drive in my brother’s Honda Amaze day before yesterday. We came back home and he parked his car in the garage.

The next day i.e. yesterday, all the tyres were fine and there was no visual tell of any tyre having a puncture.

Today however, in the morning, my brother noticed that the rear right side tyre was completely flat. He called me to take a look and I could see the top of a nail peeking out from the second thread block. So, I took the tyre inflator and pumped air into the tyre, poured some water over the nail and sure enough, we could see bubbles forming there and a distinct hissing sound of air going out.

So we quickly changed the spare wheel and took the punctured tyre to a tyre shop. They removed the nail from the tyre and told us that the nail hadn’t been clean through the tyre. After removing the nail, they filled the tyre with air and poured soap water on it; immersed it in a tub of water, but could not find any puncture at all! They then put the tyre back on the vehicle to see if it releases air under load. But, nothing!

So now, we have got the vehicle back and it is under observation to see if the pressure decreases. It’s a standard OEM tyre of the Amaze (MRF ZVTV). My apologies as we didn’t think of clicking any photos. The nail was a bent one without the flat portion (where we hammer it). And the amount of nail that was visible was equal to the amount of nail inside the tyre that was pulled out.

We are unable to understand what exactly was this phenomenon. Do we need to get it checked with some other tyre dealer? What was the reason for a flat tyre when after the nail was removed, no puncture was detected?
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks