Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2007, 01:33   #16
BHPian

Place the four tires on four ends of the car like they do to boats. That would save you from minor to major nicks and small thumps to big accidents. Its wont look good, but neither do nicks.
Old 24th July 2007, 01:52   #17
BHPian

Alot of them are actually reclaimed and reused in rubber as well as road paving industry.
Old 24th July 2007, 09:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Alot of them are actually reclaimed and reused in rubber as well as road paving industry.
I also thought that this might be the case, where u require good amount of rubber and this process is never ending as roads are maintained throughout....

Abhi
Old 24th July 2007, 09:55   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They are also bought by taxis (tourist and the black yellow types).
Old 24th July 2007, 10:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you all of you for the responses.

So I should find some solace in the thought that some municipal corporations are using old tyre rubber in making new road tarmac...

Hmm...I remember reading some new about cities in Gujrat experimenting on similar lines, but that was focussed on the plastic bag waste more than tyres...unfortunately here in Pune they keep making road surfaces again and again that develop pothols again and again thereby giving me the the opportunity to see what was used inside...but I haven't seen tyre rubber coming out of it...:-(

And yes, I forgot to mention that tourist car and taxi operators do buy old tyres to some extent, but then my concern was (and still is) - what happens once they are also done with the tyres (i.e. after the tyres have reached their end of life).

And a little off-topic : the shopkeeper told me only 13' tyres have some demand from the taxy sector. 14, 15, 16' etc have not much demand as those are the sizes used by the rich...

I think we need to take some responsibility here.

Writing to the manufacturers is a good idea, I will try to do that and let you know. I will even speak to our local corporator in Pune to see if they can suggest using tyres in making road in Pune....

Keep more ideas and views flowing...

Last edited by anandpadhye : 24th July 2007 at 10:47.
Old 24th July 2007, 10:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen a small board on Airport road here in Bangalore near to the entrance of the Leela Palace which claims that the road is asphalted using recycled plastics, waste and tyres...
Old 24th July 2007, 11:43   #22
BHPian

I guess they are also used to make conveyor belts.
Old 31st July 2007, 11:17   #23
BHPian

they are fed to the politicians.
Old 31st July 2007, 23:56   #24
BHPian

Crumb rubber is manufactured from used old tyres. This crumb rubber is then used as fillers in laying of asphalt roads. In some cases the rubber is burned to extract the heat energy. In any case most of these used tyres end up being recycled.
Old 1st August 2007, 11:01   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

To extract heat energy means to burn...which means to pollute.
Isn't it?
Old 1st August 2007, 11:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

all the used car tyres land up at the go-kart tracks! Coming to think of it - why dont companies recycle?
Old 1st August 2007, 11:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn48001 View Post
Crumb rubber is manufactured from used old tyres. This crumb rubber is then used as fillers in laying of asphalt roads.
Almost there!

Old tyres could be recycled to Crumb rubber, used mainly for tarring. There are many roads in central Kerala which is tarred using this technique, and those roads are really smooth and silent!

Alternatively, the same can be used in mats and turfs. Have heard about rubberized tiles also.

Any entrepreneurs?
Old 1st August 2007, 12:32   #28
BHPian

May I add a few more uses:
Old tyres can be
Burnt - wasteful and polluting
Incinerated - used as industrial fuel or for generating electricity.See General Information: New Uses for Old Tires
Recycled - cut into strips (crumb rubber) and used for retreading, road surfacing, and to manufacture rubber products for less exacting uses
Your friendly local waste collector often sends them on to people who make chappals, toy catapults, and baskets used in the construction industry for carrying sand.
Old 1st August 2007, 18:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Some uses for old tyres -
A. Heavy Vehicle tyres:-
1. Cross ply tyres are "cut" - means the out rubber shaved off and inner canvass layers are used to strengthed tyres of lorries intended to be overloaded with construction material.
2. Heavy / medium vehcle tyres are "rethreaded" - means new rubber is vulcanised on them two or three times. SOme vehicle owners do this up to 5 times.

Light vehicles(cars, jeeps):-
1. Rethreading, again, for commercial vehicles only.
When really disposed off (even after extracting the rethreading life), used to
2) landfill
3) grow mosquitoes (leave them in open, water will fill up and mosquitoes will happily nest there.
4. Kill mosquitoes (xinome has pointed this out already)

all tyres can be used to be hanged from all kinds small size ships and medium size boats / inland and seagoing vessels (and boat jetties too) to absorb shocks and knocks.

Some tyres end up as land marks / signboards for tyre repair shops.

And all tyres can be recycles - cut into shreds and rubber extracted - there is a public limited company in Edayar industrial area (near Kalamassery, Ernakulam) doing this.
Old 1st August 2007, 19:33   #30
BHPian

Used Tyres are also shredded into rubber crumbs (as fine as granulated Sugar) and used to construct children's playing surfaces in large grounds (after being properly treated) in the US.

Also if i remember correctly, the Ford Field (home of Detroit Tigers) NFL team base has been built by shredded tyres from the Ford Explorer -Firestone tyre recall .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks