Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2023, 16:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Continental starts producing TPMS for cars in India

Continental has become the first tier 1 supplier to manufacture Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in India. The company will produce TPMS for passenger cars at its Bangalore plant.

Continental starts producing TPMS for cars in India-continental_tpms_sensor_visual_bar.jpg

The Bangalore plant is Continental's largest electronics manufacturing plant in India. The company plans to scale up TPMS production capacity to cater to the local as well as export markets.

TPMS measures the pressure, temperature and detects the motion of the tyre. The unit, placed inside the tyre, transmits the information through radio frequency and the vehicle communication network to a display in the instrument cluster. TPMS provides crucial information about the status of the tyres, including the pressure and temperature of each wheel position, enabling the driver to maintain optimal air pressure.

Continental starts producing TPMS for cars in India-tire-pressure-monitoring-system.png

Some of the other advantages of TPMS include optimal rolling resistance, safety, reduced fuel consumption, fewer CO2 emissions and extended battery range for EVs. TPMS has a lifetime of up to 10 years, its operating temperature is -40 to 120 degrees C and weighs 37 gm.

Continental also offers additional TPMS features such as advanced 'problem tire' localization functions, Smartphone Apps such as Filling Assistant and Tire Data.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 24th April 2023 at 16:57.
TusharK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 18:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Continental starts producing TPMS for cars in India

Interesting! Any idea on whether these will be primarily for OEM supply to car-makers to link with car BCM OR will be available to consumers to retro-fit into existing cars as well - with a HUD or mobile app (like the currently popular existing products).

10 years is a really long advertised battery-life. Most other vendors tend to be promising 3 to 5 years right now.
As a heavily biased Continental customer, I'd definitely pick these TPMS kits if I was looking for one, to go with my Continental tyres.
Reinhard is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 19:01   #3
BHPian

Is this available in market? Tyre upgrade for my car is due and I would be definitely interested in these.
nisshith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2023, 23:28   #4
BHPian

KIA OE TPMS is Continental make
The packaging says its imported from South Korea, but the etching on the sensor says its Continental make, manufactured in China

BTW, price is just short of 5k
GSMINC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 10:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Continental has become the first tier 1 supplier to manufacture Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) in India. The company will produce TPMS for passenger cars at its Bangalore plant.

TPMS has a lifetime of up to 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Interesting! Any idea on whether these will be primarily for OEM supply to car-makers to link with car BCM OR will be available to consumers to retro-fit into existing cars as well
This got me very exciting. I am keen to install TPMS but reliability and accuracy are two points that have kept me from buying any of the current options.

I hope they launch for open market as well; will surely buy even if its available at some premium.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 25th April 2023 at 10:48.
Old 25th April 2023, 11:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

It's like a hospital adding a pharmacy and diagnostics. Who better to deal with TPMS other than a tyre manufacturer. I think Continental will do well in this field. It's a good thought process but will be interesting to see which car manufacturer will be ready to have Continental use it's logo on the MID. Wouldn't the IP be of the car's?
Old 8th August 2023, 08:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hi TusharK, do we know if this has hit the retail market yet or if it is available only with Continental tyres? I tried searching on Continental's website but there is nothing shown as available. I guess I should also be checking with a nearby dealer, which I will do today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks