Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Direct or Indirect TPMS | What do you have?
My vehicle has Direct TPMS, and I find it useful 118 39.86%
My vehicle has Indirect TPMS, and I find it useful 30 10.14%
My vehicle doesn’t have TPMS, but I need it 79 26.69%
My vehicle doesn’t have TPMS, but I can still manage without it 69 23.31%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2022, 18:01   #46

Re: Direct vs Indirect TPMS | Which one does your car have?

I have installed Treel TPMS which comes with display unit in car and also mobile app. It is working fine and helped me in detecting low pressure in the left rear wheel during my long drive and i could get it corrected in the next tyre shop before the tyre could become flat.
Krishna sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 03:26   #47
BHPian

I prefer direct TPMS as it's more accurate and helps in checking the accurate tyre pressure. Preferably OE because I do not like too many screens or apps to monitor tyre pressure, so I've integrated TPMS in a non TPMS variant in both my EcoSports. The TPMS warning with the accurate pressure displays on the Instrument cluster and this has helped me on multiple occasions.

TPMS in action in my EcoSport
Direct vs Indirect TPMS | Which one does your car have?-img20220508011748.jpg
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 09:50   #48
BHPian

I have installed Sensairy Inside TPMS in Bangalore from Madhus for 7000 including installation (I was anyways changing my two tyres). Its slightly off but generally works well.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 16:38   #49
BHPian

I'm a Zus STSM (Smart Tyre Safety Monitor) user for over 4 years on my WRV. Imported it from US during their indigogo campaign. I'm pretty happy with the externalTPMS system. Also the app offers unlimited auto trip recording which is a boon to review the route I took during some wprst google map rerouting. Also the app gives driving scores which has helped me to become a more sedate driver to achieve good scores! Everything was well until one of my sensors were damaged by our dog (possibly). Now that one of the rear sensors is gone, I was casually looking for a new ser of internal tpms and came across the "Blaupunkt TPMS IN-DASH USB 4.2" that will work directly on the car's android Headunit.Since I already have an android HU (Foxfire FF002), I've ordered it on gomechanic yesterday. Will update once I receive the order and install it.
bajoseph04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 20:28   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajoseph04 View Post
I'm a Zus STSM (Smart Tyre Safety Monitor) user for over 4 years on my WRV. Imported it from US during their indiegogo campaign. I'm pretty happy with the external TPMS system. Also the app offers unlimited auto trip recording which is a boon to review the route I took during some worst google map rerouting. Also the app gives driving scores which has helped me to become a more sedate driver to achieve good scores! Everything was well until one of my sensors were damaged by our dog (possibly). Now that one of the rear sensors is gone, I was casually looking for a new set of internal tpms and came across the "Blaupunkt TPMS IN-DASH USB 4.2" that will work directly on the car's android Headunit.Since I already have an android HU (Foxfire FF002), I've ordered it on gomechanic yesterday. Will update once I receive the order and install it.
More Details on Blaupunkt TPMS IN-DASH USB 4.2:

https://blaupunktcar.in/buy/blaupunk...-/USB-4.2/317/

For anyone planning to buy, its cheaper at gomechanic by about Rs.2300 with the extra 10% Discount.

https://gomechanic.in/accessories/bl...-radios-291007

I've ordered it hoping it will seamlessly integrate with my android Headunit so that I don't have to rely on my phone app or an extra hardware.
bajoseph04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 01:13   #51
BHPian

Hello everyone,
Recently installed an external TPMS in our Kushaq. Just wanted to understand from the fellow bhpians regarding tyre temperatures. How high can the tyre temperature reach while car is being driven continuously for an hour or two, especially in North Indian Summer.
Also, at what temperature should alarm bells start ringing and can it a be pre-cursor to a tyre burst?

Thanks.
KuvamBansal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 16:33   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuvamBansal View Post
Hello everyone,
Recently installed an external TPMS in our Kushaq. Just wanted to understand from the fellow bhpians regarding tyre temperatures. How high can the tyre temperature reach while car is being driven continuously for an hour or two, especially in North Indian Summer.
Also, at what temperature should alarm bells start ringing and can it a be pre-cursor to a tyre burst?

Thanks.
From my TPMS logs, the max temperature on the front tyres are around 55°C and the rear is lower. I had set the max temperature limit as 70°C on all 4 tyres. My tyres have never reached 70°C anytime before BTW I live in Tamilnadu. I believe you may set the max limit to 70 or 75°C.and monitor the temperature for few drives so that you'll have an idea about the general trend so that you can easily identify any unusual behavior or temperature spike and take necessary precautions.
Old 6th October 2022, 17:40   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
A Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, or TPMS, is possibly one of the most understated yet very crucial safety feature for a two/four wheeler.
Thank you @JoshMachine for starting this thread, and to everyone for sharing your experiences and recommendations. I have been looking for a reliable TPMS for my new Honda Jazz VX CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Sensairy and Treel are coming around 7k. What justifies their premium?
I have the exact same question. While Sensairy has good reviews, cannot wrap my head around spending INR 7k to get something that will last only 5 years (thanks to non-replaceable batteries)! That's one reason I would personally avoid it (other reasons will follow in this post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
We added a cheap aftermarket direct solar TPMS with external sensors for around INR 1100 from Aliexpress in 2018. We deliberately chose external sensors because we didn't want to deal with the hassles of the internal sensors. Internal sensors are very susceptible to damage especially on bad roads and replacing their batteries is also a major hassle. As far as maintenance goes, we have had to replace the batteries in the 4 external sensors only once to date.

The monitor unit of the TPMS can be recharged both by solar as well as by micro-USB. It has both high and low user-settable alarms for both temperature and pressure. It is accurate up to the first place after the decimal and it works on low power Bluetooth technology. And despite its cheap price, it has been working flawlessly, touchwood
Thanks @Chhanda. I find your opinion very logical. For my new car, I would prefer DIY (viz. external sensors) versus going to the tyre shop to install internal sensors. However, I see one major concern of external TPMS (written at the end of this post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.city View Post
A few more points to add, apart from everything that's already discussed
  • Dedicated display vs Phone app - I find TPMS dedicated display piece to be more useful. You don't have to worry about phone being ON and connected. Separate dedicated display and in-built alarm system is more peace of mind. Choosing one with light sensors reduces wire-related mess.
@the.city, that was bang on! TPMS is so important that I would always prefer a dedicated display. What if I forget to turn on bluetooth on my phone? What if my wife takes the car and doesn't want overheads of installing the app (and turning on the bluetooth) separately on her phone? There's nothing better than having a dedicated display on the dash, so that whoever drives the car can get to use this safety feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.city View Post
I have been using Nexdigitron external TPMS (link) for past 9months and very happy with the product. Found a puncture through it's alarm too. Interesting, when the alarm first rang, I couldn't find anything on tyre and assumed it to be a bad sensor / hardware issue. Still went to a tyre to be sure -- and voila! there was indeed a small hidden nail!! Certainly recommend TPMS to everyone here for peace of mind.
Thanks for sharing. I am thinking of buying this well reviewed SkyShop Solar TPMS, either the external variant or the internal one. Oh wait, did I not just say external one is preferred? Please just read on
Being relatively inexpensive at INR 2800 / INR 2900 respectively, and with replaceable batteries for the sensors along with a "dedicated" head display unit with solar + USB charging, the external one has (almost) everything to offer on the plate!

I had to write "almost", though! This is because of one major concern with external TPMS: Each time we need to fill the air, it would be a task (and some good waste of time) having to release the safety nut, remove the sensors fully (and carefully!), fill the air, place the sensors back again (carefully!), and tighten the safety nut yet again. Repeat this process for all 4 tyres, each time, and I should confess that this very thought is not very exciting.

To overcome the above, has anyone tried the T-valve? Here is one link: https://www.amazon.in/DEV-TYMATE-Ext...dp/B07X1Y4S8M/

It looks like if we use this, we can have best of both worlds: External TPMS + ability to fill air without needing to touch the sensors.

The T-valve (link above) is quite expensive at INR 399 per piece (so that would cost INR 1600 almost, for 4 valves). I did not like the seller's ethics (who has deliberately not mentioned that the asking price of INR 399 is for only 1 valve and not for a set of 4!!). He has even shown pictures with multiple valves, luring the buyers!

Any opinion/first hand experience of using T-valve (and any link to buy reliable T-valves for a cheaper price) would be appreciated. If I don't find any further options, I will go with SkyShop Solar Internal TPMS for INR 2900. It does not make sense to spend INR 1600 extra, only on 4 T-valves.

Last edited by jaysheth : 6th October 2022 at 17:47.
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 19:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysheth View Post
Being relatively inexpensive at INR 2800 / INR 2900 respectively, and with replaceable batteries for the sensors along with a "dedicated" head display unit with solar + USB charging, the external one has (almost) everything to offer on the plate!

I had to write "almost", though! This is because of one major concern with external TPMS: Each time we need to fill the air, it would be a task (and some good waste of time) having to release the safety nut, remove the sensors fully (and carefully!), fill the air, place the sensors back again (carefully!), and tighten the safety nut yet again. Repeat this process for all 4 tyres, each time, and I should confess that this very thought is not very exciting.
A very useful update: I just spoke with the SkyShop customer care person. He recommends going with external TPMS sensors, and said they are really inexpensive (INR 250/300 per sensor if we buy single ones, and only INR 1000 if we buy a pair of 5). He said if I can live with occassional possibility of theft, I can even discard the safety nut (viz. not install it) and thereafter use the sensors directly as if they are valve caps. This works for me as the car is usually in our dedicated covered parking slot, and I fill the air myself using portable tyre inflator.

I also asked him if I want the 5th sensor for my spare wheel, can I see the pressure and temperature for all 5? His answer was a pleasant surprise:
(a) He can ship the 5th sensor for INR 250 extra for the external variant (and INR 350 extra for the internal variant).
(b) The display can be configured to show pressure of 4 sensors for 10 seconds, and pressure of 5th sensor for next 10 seconds and so on. In other words, the display will keep on alternating and we could keep an eye on all 5 tyres throughout our drive! Pretty, pretty cool!
(c) But there's no end to one's greed : So I asked if I want to regularly see only a non-changing display with 4 tyres (e.g. during long drives), and say once in 2 months I want to change it to show all 5 (perodic health check of the spare), could that be done? And the answer was again yes, with some settings/configuration change.
(d) I also asked him about the T-valve add-on. He recommended against that. His arguments were very logical: Why would you spend even INR 1K on 4 t-valves when you can get 5 sensors for the same cost? How many times would we be filling air compared to keeping an eye on it? Also, T-valves would add to the weight of the tyre assembly making it slightly imbalanced too. Was fully convinced. Also it would be protruding out drawing unnecessary special attention of public (and the thieves(!))!

I am going ahead with that external one therefore! Also, am placing the order directly with the vendor to get this extra sensor shipped.

I will update this thread with my experience. Would strongly recommend everyone to consider a TPMS for their vehicles. Wish you safe miles ahead!
Old 6th October 2022, 19:54   #55
BHPian

Quote:
A very useful update: I just spoke with the SkyShop customer care person.
I will update this thread with my experience. Would strongly recommend everyone to consider a TPMS for their vehicles. Wish you safe miles ahead!
I would suggest you to look into better brands such as Manatec or sensairy or if there is an app option with skyshop. As last year i had purchased a internal tpms from skyshop and the display went bad twice within a year, once the display was replaced under warranty but the second one also failed after 1 month of expiration of warranty.

Now when i am trying to contact the skyshop guy he has gone radio silent on whatsapp.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 20:09   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
I would suggest you to look into better brands such as Manatec or sensairy or if there is an app option with skyshop. As last year i had purchased a internal tpms from skyshop and the display went bad twice within a year, once the display was replaced under warranty but the second one also failed after 1 month of expiration of warranty.

Now when i am trying to contact the skyshop guy he has gone radio silent on whatsapp.
Oops! Just 5 min ago I placed the order and made full payment, so will let it be as is. Thanks for your advice though.
Old 6th October 2022, 21:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Each time we need to fill the air, it would be a task (and some good waste of time) having to release the safety nut, remove the sensors fully (and carefully!), fill the air, place the sensors back again (carefully!), and tighten the safety nut yet again. Repeat this process for all 4 tyres, each time, and I should confess that this very thought is not very exciting.

To overcome the above, has anyone tried the T-valve?
With our usage pattern on the mixed bag of mostly pathetic roads in Eastern India, we find that topping off the air in all 4 tyres is usually a monthly affair and sometimes even stretches to one and a half months. Initially, loosening the safety nut, removing the sensor, reinstalling the safety nut and tightening the safety nut would take a total of approximately around 40 seconds per tyre but with enough practice that has come down to 25 seconds per tyre. So you are looking at less than 2 minutes for all 4 tyres. Since we always refill our tyres at home with a 12 volt tyre inflator we do not mind spending less than 2 minutes per month on this.

Personally, I would absolutely recommend against that T-valve contraption since that can seriously jeopardize the balance of the wheel rims beyond the scope of a sensible amount of counterweights while drawing inordinate amounts of attention. I feel that it is way better to get internal sensors installed than the T-valve contraption. I hope this helps
Chhanda Das is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 23:25   #58

I had purchased the T valve and after installing realised that the weight of the valve is a concern. Further the valve protrudes out. Also out of 4 Tvalve, 3 valves leaked. So returned the Tvalve and also the external sensor and subsequently purchased Treel internal TPMS and using for the last 4 months.
Krishna sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 08:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
Personally, I would absolutely recommend against that T-valve contraption since that can seriously jeopardize the balance of the wheel rims beyond the scope of a sensible amount of counterweights while drawing inordinate amounts of attention. I feel that it is way better to get internal sensors installed than the T-valve contraption. I hope this helps
Thanks Chhanda. I ordered the SkyShop Solar External TPMS, directly from the SkyShop person (including an extra sensor for the spare wheel). After reading the instructions leaflet and speaking to the SkyShop person, it just took 5 minutes to set it up. Very satisfied with the product. It displays pressure and temperature for 4 tyres for 10 seconds, then display switches for 10 seconds to show the same for the spare tyre, and keeps alternating that way. We can always reset unit and reconfigure it to only show for 4 tyres permanently (the whole reconfiguration takes 2 minutes). Found the dedicated display unit far better than a mobile app. Total peace of mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna sankar View Post
I had purchased the T valve and after installing realised that the weight of the valve is a concern. Further the valve protrudes out. Also out of 4 Tvalve, 3 valves leaked. So returned the Tvalve and also the external sensor and subsequently purchased Treel internal TPMS and using for the last 4 months.
Thanks for sharing this, Krishna. Treel is a good choice. I did not want to spend as much for this. Also for my situation, I found the external sensors simpler (covered parking + security + security cameras). Even if my sensors get stolen, I could get all 5 replaced for INR 1000 and get them paired with the (existing) display unit. Also in case of tyre swap / tyre rotation, we don't have to change any setting, as we can just remove the sensors, and re-attach them to their new positions
Attached Thumbnails
Direct vs Indirect TPMS | Which one does your car have?-skyshop-tpms-display.jpeg  

jaysheth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 18:22   #60
BHPian

Quote:
I ordered the SkyShop Solar External TPMS, directly from the SkyShop person (including an extra sensor for the spare wheel). After reading the instructions leaflet and speaking to the SkyShop person, it just took 5 minutes to set it up. Very satisfied with the product. It displays pressure and temperature for 4 tyres for 10 seconds, then display switches for 10 seconds to show the same for the spare tyre, and keeps alternating that way. We can always reset unit and reconfigure it to only show for 4 tyres permanently (the whole reconfiguration takes 2 minutes). Found the dedicated display unit far better than a mobile app. Total peace of mind!
An update on the product: Have been using this since over a month and it has served pretty well. I purchased the external sensors, and have not bothered to "tighten" the safety nut on the valves each time. I have just left those safety nuts on the valve threads, so that I can simply tighten them before going to any unknown places where the car might be parked.

The other important thing is that each time you start the car (and the TPMS display unit), it always displays the old readings (of the last drive), from the device memory. It takes anywhere between a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes for the readings to refresh.

As an instance, after one of my long drives, the front-left tyre and front-right PSI had gone up to 35 PSI (cold temperature was 31 PSI). When I drove the next day, I noticed tthat front-right was showing 31 PSI (with correct temperature) whereas front-left was (still) showing 35 PSI (with higher temperature of the previous day's drive). This made me slightly uncomfortable. But then I recalled having filled 31 PSI in both front tyres, and decided to continue driving and to allow few more minutes for all sensors to sync up with the display device. And voila! After 3-4 minutes, even the left tyre started showing 31 PSI with the correct (lesser) temperature.

What if we are going on a long trip and/or with family and cannot take such chances to allow few minutes of actual drive to discover any surprises after all sensors sync up with the display? The solution is simple: Before embarking on such a journey, just turn on the TMPS display unit and then remove the sensors one by one (for each removal, the display unit will start beeping instantly) and place them back. That would replace old readings (from device memory) with the fresh ones.

Last edited by jaysheth : 20th November 2022 at 18:29.
jaysheth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks