Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 17:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yokohama tyres re-used as beds for stray dogs

Yokohama has donated around 190 factory scrap tyres to Neighbourhood Woof - an NGO that will be re-using them to provide durable beds for stray dogs in the shelter in Delhi.

Yokohama tyres re-used as beds for stray dogs-yokohama-scrap-dog-help.jpg

Neighbourhood Woof helps local stray dogs which are injured and also conducts sterilization and vaccination programs. According to the NGO, tyres can be easily disinfected and re-used as beds for dogs during the winter season.

According to the company, Yokohama India is said to have one of the lowest scrap ratio plants in the Yokohama Group. Tyres which do not meet the company's standard are scrapped.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Yokohama tyres re-used as beds for stray dogs

In this day and age, when reasons to smile are few and far between, this piece of news instantly brought a smile to my face.

Excellent initiative by Yokohama and Woof!

I sincerely hope that many more tyre manufacturers will put their scrap tyres to good use in a similar fashion.
renegade004 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:43   #3
Team-BHP Support

I wish my bed had such a sporty tread pattern!

But why would dogs prefer to sit inside that cramped tyre? I think they are sitting there only because there is warm sack inside the tyre.
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 20:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
But why would dogs prefer to sit inside that cramped tyre? I think they are sitting there only because there is warm sack inside the tyre.
But that's how they sleep anyway: all rolled up, nice and cosy

Great initiative by Yokohama! This inspires me to collect scrap tyres from the local tyre shop and do this for the strays in my area myself
sainyamk95 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 00:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainyamk95 View Post
Great initiative by Yokohama! This inspires me to collect scrap tyres from the local tyre shop and do this for the strays in my area myself
You need to be able to cut the sidewall fully to accommodate larger dogs, but that would simply be impossible for you to do so cleanly. With the sidewall a maximum that can be accommodated is a puppy or a cat. Do try though. I might be able to contribute 4 of them soon, I'll keep you posted.

Good initiative, happy to have owned a set from Yoko. There are so many little things that can be done to life around us just by modifying or re-using useless items around our home. Do look around your own home people, summer is round the corner, you can use chipped or unused bowls (preferably clay or fiberglass since it won't absorb heat) as water bowls for birds, used/torn jute mats as a bed of sorts for dogs, a clay pot (well cleaned or new of course @ 50 bucks) as water source for them as well.

Also as was typical of life of our ancestors, you can put banana peels, overripe fruits, excess sambar, unused veggies etc as a salad for cows. Swiggy/Zomato bowls and plates can be used as a free storage for water or seeds/dals for birds.

Last edited by dark.knight : 30th January 2020 at 00:07.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 10:11   #6
BHPian

What a kind gesture by Yokohama... Stray animals are the worst affected living beings in winter. Great read to start the day.

Not sure, if Yokohama could show this as CSR.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 11:51   #7
BHPian

Kudos to Woof and Yokohama for coming up with such a simple yet innovative idea. Regular rugs get soiled and torn easily by getting caught between the nails of dogs. Using tyres completely eliminates that problem
alokn87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 08:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative by Yokohama.

By the way, this is not a new thing. An animal lover in my city has been using old tyres as bed for stray dogs for more than 2-3 years now. Earlier he had used cartons and barrels for the same purpose but it turned out to be a bad idea as there was only one way out for dogs and, taking advantage of that, some people found ways to trouble dogs.

Ps. One more small trick he's taught me is applying a strip of reflective tape on dog collars. This helps road users notice stray dogs sleeping on the roadside or crossing the road at night thereby preventing accidents. He says, and I agree, that most road users will try to avoid hitting dogs on the road if they can notice them well in advance.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 11:03   #9
BHPian

Suberb action by Yokohoma. Hope the dogs feel comfortable.

In Chennai we recently noticed used tyres being converted to flower pots by the Chennai Corporation and placed near the Aavin Paal booth. I remember as a kid burning tires was the norm, lovely to see these novel initiatives.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 10:26   #10
BHPian

Great initiative in a country which is suffering from waste management problems.

Wish the dogs knew about tyre sizes and forms.
Their conversations would have been,
Dog 1: Dude mine are Geolander A/T 's with cool white walls.
Dog 2: Nah mine are Advan r19' s straight outta the racetrack.
_lewie_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 10:32   #11
BHPian

Heart warming gesture this is! Kudos!
vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 16:16   #12
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread - we are looking for old tyres in Delhi, for this exact same purpose. Winters are harsh up here in the north, and tyres like these provide decent shelter from the worst of the cold (especially if you put a bed in the middle). These are for street/community dogs who otherwise have no form of shelter. If any Bhpians could give me any leads on how to source these I would be very grateful.
Old 15th November 2020, 17:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Bumping up an old thread - we are looking for old tyres in Delhi, for this exact same purpose. Winters are harsh up here in the north, and tyres like these provide decent shelter from the worst of the cold (especially if you put a bed in the middle). These are for street/community dogs who otherwise have no form of shelter. If any Bhpians could give me any leads on how to source these I would be very grateful.
Hey Lone Ranger,
That's a wholesome initiative you've taken up. Any tyre shop would be happy to sell you old/used tyres. A salvage yard is also a great place to start looking.
Hope this helps.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks