Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2019, 16:40   #121
BHPian

Re: Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre

Recently discovered a small crack on the sidewall of my Endeavour's tyre (MRF Wanderer) which has run close to 10k kms, this is the second sidewall damage, the earlier tyre was replaced with this one.

The cut is not deep, there is no air leakage and I have driven it for a couple of hundred kilometers. Is it safe to use?
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-20190205_081746.jpg  

daf23 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 19:31   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
Recently discovered a small crack on the sidewall of my Endeavour's tyre (MRF Wanderer) which has run close to 10k kms, this is the second sidewall damage, the earlier tyre was replaced with this one.

The cut is not deep, there is no air leakage and I have driven it for a couple of hundred kilometers. Is it safe to use?
If we start replacing tyres for these kind of minor hits, we will have to take a tyre loan along with the car loan.

Just go ahead and continue using it.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 21:29   #123
BHPian

Is it safe using tube in a tubeless tire for high speed driving upto 100?

My car has just run 27k kms. 2 of my tires last month developed sidewall leak issues as the steel rims have taken a beating in the potholes everywhere and i had to put tube in 1 and kept the other as spare without putting a tube yet. Now one more tire has suffered a small sidewall cut which is leaking air slowly but surely and warrants a tube put inside again. Is it safe to run 2 tires with tubes inside and use them for 9 odd months max and then replace all 4 tires and 4 steel rims.
Old 14th June 2019, 10:05   #124

Hello, Newbie here! It's weird that I've been a passive follower of team-bhp since 2012, and make my first post only now. T-BHP has been an excellent source of information for all my auto-related queries. Kudos!

Coming to the episode, this happened last weekend on NH48 between Krishnagiri & Hosur. I was cruising at a comfortable 120kmph, and all of a sudden hear a very brisk hizz sound from outside the car. Hoping all is well, I slowly moved to the side of the road and noticed that the sidewall of my right-side rear tyre had a blowout. For then, had replaced the spare and drove home.

I had replaced my tyres (Bridgestone B250) few years back and it had run only around 9-10k kms since. As I did not hear any distinct thud or sound from outside, I wondered what could have caused this blowout, especially the size of the hole. The hole seem to be sizeable and completely through.

Checked with the Honda Dealer (who had supplied the new tyres) as well as few other tyre dealers and their response was same - cannot claim warranty as it seems to have hit something (the mark on the alloy served as evidence), and the tyre is beyond salvage.

Considering safety, I had replaced the tyre but still can't get it over my head. I was travelling with my wife and my 10 month old kid. Could it have been worse? What could have caused it especially on the highway? How can I prevent this from happening again?

Apologies for the photo, shot it in dark using mobile flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20190610_190927.jpg  

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20190610_190759.jpg  

allwynkingsley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 10:45   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by allwynkingsley View Post
Considering safety, I had replaced the tyre but still can't get it over my head. I was travelling with my wife and my 10 month old kid. Could it have been worse? What could have caused it especially on the highway? How can I prevent this from happening again?

Apologies for the photo, shot it in dark using mobile flash.
There seems to be considerable amount of rubbing/ friction marks on the sidewall. The Bridgestone lettering is almost half worn! This has led to weakening of the sidewalls which eventually gave way.

This kind of rubbing happens due to kerbing while parking. Do you park in a tight place which requires you to get very close to a footpath or kerb? Always ensure that the tyres don't make contact with the kerb while parking.

Edit : The rubbing marks are most likely caused by the tyre running flat after blow out. But kerbing is one of the most likely causes for sidewall damage.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 14th June 2019 at 10:51.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 16:50   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
This kind of rubbing happens due to kerbing while parking. Do you park in a tight place which requires you to get very close to a footpath or kerb? Always ensure that the tyres don't make contact with the kerb while parking.

Edit : The rubbing marks are most likely caused by the tyre running flat after blow out. But kerbing is one of the most likely causes for sidewall damage.
Actually, yes my parking is in a tight space in the basement, but I haven't noticed the marks before this incident. As you said, it should have been as a result of the tyre running flat.
Old 30th April 2020, 18:23   #127
BHPian

Dear All,

I was loosing pressure slowly on one of the tyres of my Toyota Camry. I needed to top up air every 2 weeks. I got it checked today and found a nail embedded on the inside sidewall of the Yokohama tyre.

I just can’t imagine how it got there. Maybe at the service-center when they removed tyres and placed them on the floor.

Anyways what would be the best way to repair it. Tubeless puncture will not work I guess. It’s a small one so is a mushroom puncture pasted inside an option or putting in a tube the only solution ?

Styler
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-tyrenailsidewall.jpg  

Last edited by Styler : 30th April 2020 at 18:36.
Old 30th April 2020, 18:31   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Anyways what would be the best way to repair it. Tubeless puncture will not work I guess. It’s a small one so is a mushroom puncture pasted inside an option or putting in a tube the only solution ?
Any sort of plug-based repair won't last, as the sidewall around it will flex with every rotation and shake the plug loose and cause a leak.

Explore getting the hole hot-patched from inside.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 19:18   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Any sort of plug-based repair won't last, as the sidewall around it will flex with every rotation and shake the plug loose and cause a leak.

Explore getting the hole hot-patched from inside.
I'm doing a side wall / shoulder puncture fix - what's hot patch and cold patch ? Can someone please explain ?

Puncture guy did a mushroom patch and used ample amount of Fevicol super glue

I read about safety and vouch for replacement but doing this to have a spare tyre until I replace tyres or sell the car (offcourse informing about this work).

Attached picture as well for clarity.
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-puncture-side-wall.jpg  

Ritz2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 19:45   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
I'm doing a side wall / shoulder puncture fix - what's hot patch and cold patch ? Can someone please explain ? .
Both methods involve applying a patch from the inside of the tire.

For a cold patch, they insert the patch and pull the stem from the outside until it fits tightly over the puncture and finish with applying a bit of sealant around the patch to avoid leaks, while a hot one involves heating the patch up so the rubber melts and fills in & around the puncture cavity.

Neither should ideally be done outside the contact patch of the tire (the flat surface that meets the road). Anything on the sidewall is always a risk due to flex when the tire is rolling. That applies to all sidewall punctures, irrespective of repair method.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th October 2021 at 19:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:25   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

For a cold patch, they insert the patch and pull the stem from the outside until it fits tightly over the puncture and finish with applying a bit of sealant around the patch to avoid leaks, while a hot one involves heating the patch up so the rubber melts and fills in & around the puncture cavity.
A cold patch done on my punctured tyres was not followed through with application of sealant on inner surface or outer surface, as this is typically practised in my community.
Is this considered as an improper repair job?
Appreciate any feedback.
Old 25th October 2021, 22:36   #132
BHPian

Hey all,
my car had its tyres replaced 3 months back with MRF perfinzas and they clocked less than 8k km

Today, as I got out of my car and checked the tyres, my heart shattered as I saw a tiny bent nail protruding into the shoulder of the front right tyre - the dotted white mark in the box is where the nail was ( and now the leakage )
Should I change into the new tyre ?or
can it be repaired ?

IS the strength of the tyre compromised ?
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-whatsapp-image-20211025-5.49.21-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by poised2drive : 25th October 2021 at 22:38.
Old 27th October 2021, 07:57   #133
BHPian

Manufacturer typically doesn't recommend repair for this kind of puncture.

It is not about residual strength in the strictest sense as its strength is intack.

It is about tyre air leakage (post repair) and its subsequent failure or breakage arising from low tyre air pressure.

IF there isn't air leakage post repair, I don't see why not. But ........
Old 27th October 2021, 09:17   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Should I change into the new tyre ?or
can it be repaired ?

IS the strength of the tyre compromised ?
FWIW I had a very similar puncture on my tyre in my last car. This was at the shoulder, so a kind of "no man's land", neither was it on the tread nor sidewall. I fixed it and used it on the rear for about 2 years. No issues. Then rotated it to the front till I finally sold the car.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:55   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
FWIW I had a very similar puncture on my tyre in my last car. This was at the shoulder, so a kind of "no man's land", neither was it on the tread nor sidewall. I fixed it and used it on the rear for about 2 years. No issues. Then rotated it to the front till I finally sold the car.
Oh ok. How did you fix it ? IS there any specific method ?

One car tyre tried fixing it but the patch did not stop the air leak ( though the leak is quite small) - he used the ordinary method: inserting the patch from top and pulling it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks