Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 16:13   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
and now it can be solved by repairing the rims by removing any rust within and painting it and it should solve the problem and there is no need to put tubes inside the tyres. but I don't think it will work properly as when I got new valves installed the last time, the tyre guy did scrape the rust formed on the borders of the rims but still it didnt work so.
Removal of any amount of rust will be of no help, please refer my post above:- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1985802-post122.html

Quote:
a driver in my building said that these tubeless tyres doesn't work properly on regular rims. he also had similar problem with his owners car and he got them installed with tubes and thats the only solution.
so what should i do now?
Luckily, what the driver in your building says is correct. Better get a regular tube type tyre fitted or get a tubeless rim/alloy, also ensure that the valve stem you are using is "suitable for TUBELESS APPLICATION".

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 15th September 2010 at 16:14.
Old 15th September 2010, 17:16   #137
BHPian

My experience with my dad's 10 year old Maruti 800 ( 65,000 kms done) is different. Six months back, We changed to Michelin XM1 145/ 80 with the stock steel rims. After 5000 kms and more than 6 monthswe couldnot see any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Removal of any amount of rust will be of no help, please refer my post above:- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1985802-post122.html

Luckily, what the driver in your building says is correct. Better get a regular tube type tyre fitted or get a tubeless rim/alloy, also ensure that the valve stem you are using is "suitable for TUBELESS APPLICATION".

Spike
Old 15th September 2010, 17:26   #138
BHPian

Quote:

Spike
Dude, what you mean is that I change my tyres again??!! I had just changed a few months back... and they are not even much used. but if I change it now, I doubt that I will get even 50% back for it!
Old 15th September 2010, 17:57   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
My experience with my dad's 10 year old Maruti 800 ( 65,000 kms done) is different. Six months back, We changed to Michelin XM1 145/ 80 with the stock steel rims. After 5000 kms and more than 6 monthswe couldnot see any issues.
Some manufacturers in the name of standardization use tubeless wheel rims on even tube type tyres, it is possible your rim may be suitable for tubeless application. Please check if the rim is of tubeless/tube type.

Quote:
Dude, what you mean is that I change my tyres again??!! I had just changed a few months back... and they are not even much used. but if I change it now, I doubt that I will get even 50% back for it!
It is for you to decide, if you can live with filling tyre pressures at regular intervals thereby utilizing maximum portion of the tyre life then well and good, or get alloy wheels or put correct tyres. If you are not ready for all this, put a tube in the current set up. Although I know this is not correct, it wont harm you.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 15th September 2010 at 17:58.
Old 12th October 2010, 15:43   #140
BHPian

Installed new steel rims and XM1+ in my '99 Zen

I bought 4 new steel rims for Rs. 887/- from MASS and bought 4 new tyres 155/70R13 for Rs. 2900/- from Madhus

Tyres are great, grippy and smooth! Need some more run before I can post more detailed review.

For the very reason that old steel tends to be out of shape and not suitable for tubeless, I bought new set of steel rims and put tubeless tyres on them,

Now my question, for long run, should I get the steel rims painted to avoid rust, etc? Also what if I hit a bad speed breaker or pot hole and rim gets a little bend!
Old 17th October 2010, 23:31   #141
Senior - BHPian

Hi Devrajman,
Since zen is a light car, moreover the aspect ratio of 70 gives sufficient cushioning & prevents the road shocks/ impacts from reaching over to the rims. Hence your rims wont easily bend, unless you encounter a major impact.
On my Indica when I shifted from tubed Bridgestone S332s to Michelin XM1+ tubeless, I had no option but switch to alloys. Indica being a heavy car is notorious for front rim bends. Also the comparatively lower profile tyres 165/65R13 didn't help either.
Old 24th October 2010, 21:24   #142
BHPian

Funny thing.. I just got new tubes installed a couple of days back after being fed up of air leakage on my relatively new tubeless tyres and the ride quality just got better! Don't know why but it just got a bit softer tough a little less sharper in corners than earlier. But feels a little different!
Old 24th October 2010, 23:00   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Spike
My experience is different. I bought a second hand Alto with all four Apollo Amazer tubelesses. I did 13K on those old tyres without any problem and three weeks ago changed two tyres. I stayed with tubeless except that the new twos were Michelin XM 1+. I installed new valves.

Btb, is valve stems for tube tyres available? Even if so, better to replace the tube itself rather than going for valve replacement.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th October 2010 at 23:04. Reason: addition
Old 26th November 2010, 18:13   #144
BHPian

I have been running with tubeless tyres on my WagonR with steel rims for last 20K Kms.
I always make sure air pressure is +2 to std PSI and its returning good mileage like before.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:50   #145

I also have an accent and need to change my tyres. I have almost made up my mind to go for tubeless. Did the FE of the car get affected by switching from tubed to tubeless??

Nirav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. boombastic View Post
I might be a bit late to the party here as i guess that most points are already covered but there is summing that i did to my car when i moved from tubes to tubeless which does not seem to be listed

my Accent was already 40000+ kms when i decided to change the tyres, did not wanna change the steel rims and had very similar apprehensions to the ones mentioned in the previous posts....One problem that you could face while combining steel rims with tubeless tyres is that the wheels are prone to rusting.....my dealer suggested that we coat the inside of the wheels with Lead oxide before changing over

Having done that i have not faced any problems with the steel and tubeless combo and my car is well pass 95000kms

HTH
Old 31st January 2011, 23:32   #146
BANNED

Re: Tubeless tyres on Steel rims

I went an enquired to a prominent tyre & alloys dealer whether there are two types of rims available namely tubeless type steel rim & tubed type steel rim ? He replied that there is only one type of rim called steel rim and you can put both types of tyres in it.

I was confused after reading some of the posts in this thread. So is this a valid info ?
Old 31st January 2011, 23:37   #147
Senior - BHPian

The guy is right. I am running Michelin XM1+ tubeless on my stock Alto rims. The same rims had Apollo tubeless earlier.
Old 7th February 2011, 10:51   #148
BHPian

Talking about steel rims. I wanted to upgrade my current rim size on the Aveo-UVA from 13" to 15". Since i'd like to keep the costs low for now I intend to swap them with '15inch steel rims".

The PCD for uva is 100 (4hole) is it possible to fit say the 'Jazz' or 'Fusions' Steel Rims on the UVA? Does the inside of a steel rim have universal in design or there is a custom design involved in each car?

Can anyone advice?
Old 7th February 2011, 14:47   #149
BHPian

Jazz yes, Fusion no-since it's a 108 PCD rim.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:52   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Jazz yes, Fusion no-since it's a 108 PCD rim.
Hi Wasava... you are correct on the fuzion pcd, someone in the classifieds section has posted to sell his fuzion steel rims which mentioned 100pcd.

So if am getting this right... the inner design of the rim is universal and therefore it will fit the uva too? is that correct? If it is then its a big boon to me, i will immediately source and upgrade to a jazz rim with a 195/50/R15 tyre size. Sounds good?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks