Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Best set of tyres? - In India.
Goodyear 72 9.13%
Pirelli 35 4.44%
Michelin 256 32.45%
Bridgestone 232 29.40%
Falkens 7 0.89%
BF Goodrich 12 1.52%
Mrf 35 4.44%
Ceat 3 0.38%
Yokohama 111 14.07%
Dunlop 5 0.63%
JK Tyre 5 0.63%
Apollo Tyres 16 2.03%
Voters: 789. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 23:42   #571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
If my requirement was of tyres that would be the best for grip/braking assistance, what would be my choices of brands/manufacturers?
In response to what you've said, in highlights, I advise the AD07s. If you find it out of your reach, budget-wise, the PP2s from Michelin are a sensible alternative, as are the Hankook Ventus R-S2s. The ADs should be over 5k a tyre, the PP2s will be around 5k a tyre, maybe a little lower, and the Hankooks would be cheaper than the PP2s by about 10-15%.
Old 17th December 2008, 10:51   #572
Senior - BHPian

So far I have driven mostly on Highways and am using JKs on my swift DDIS. In future I might be doing lot of driving on a combination of highways and Bad village roads. I need advice on what are the best set of tyres that can handle this scenario. My priorities are as follows-

1. Good grip (Both dry and wet conditions)
2. Should handle potholed roads well (Greater Sidewall protection)
3. Lesser road noise
4. Comfort

I do not want tyre bursting or bulging and do not want to get stuck with a puncture in some remote location.
Old 19th December 2008, 13:04   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
So far I have driven mostly on Highways and am using JKs on my swift DDIS. In future I might be doing lot of driving on a combination of highways and Bad village roads. I need advice on what are the best set of tyres that can handle this scenario. My priorities are as follows-

1. Good grip (Both dry and wet conditions)
2. Should handle potholed roads well (Greater Sidewall protection)
3. Lesser road noise
4. Comfort

I do not want tyre bursting or bulging and do not want to get stuck with a puncture in some remote location.
Go for Bridgestone Turanza ER 60.
Old 19th December 2008, 16:03   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini87 View Post
Go for Bridgestone Turanza ER 60.
Thanks Srini for the recommendation. Any other suggestions.

Also Who is the best dealer for Turanza in Bangalore. Trustworthy yet affordable.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:55   #575
BHPian

i would highly reccomend michellin PP2 been using them for almost 10,000k with regular high speed highway drives on the potholed mangalore udupi highway really comfy and good grip and not even 1 puncture so far and they still look almost new
Old 30th December 2008, 17:31   #576
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking at upsizing my yet-to-be-delivered Swift Zxi.

Looking basically at 15" alloys and the 195/60/15, which I presume is the best upgrade for the Swift.

The following are the tyres that come to my mind

1: BF Goodrich Sport - Love the pattern
2: Bridgestone Turanza ER60
3: Michelin MXV8/PP2
4: Yokohama ES100 - Best reviews on TBHP

Made a cold call to the dealer(XL Tyre Point in Chennai) and he says around 4.2k for BFG and ES100. Are the prices okay ?

How does the PP2 (Precada or Primacy) compare with the BFG ? Dont think there S-Drives for this size. I am not really keen on 205 profile.

Looking forward for help here
Old 31st December 2008, 01:44   #577
Senior - BHPian

Anil, BFG, ES100 & PP2 are performance tyres whereas the Turanza & MXV8 are comfort biased tyres. What exactly are you looking for in the tyres? Performance or Comfort? Decide based on that.

PP2 is a superior tyre to the BFG's though.

And prices for the BFG & ES100 are more or less on the money but expect the PP2/MXV8 to be more expensive then them & probably the Turanza too.

P.S. Pilot Primacy's are no longer available in 15" sizes.
Old 31st December 2008, 09:16   #578
BHPian

I have been using Bridgestone Potenza GIII 185/70/R14 in my Swift VDi for the past 38K Kms. The tyres look almost 25% of life is balance. I had totally 5 or 6 punctures altogether. Planning for a tyre change in next 5K kms. Please suggest me a tyre of same size keeping comfort as first priority. Mostly I drive in the 80-90 kmph speeds max. Budget is <15K for 4 tyres. Also my spare wheel is the OEM 165/80/14, which has never touched ground. Shall I continue to keep it as spare? Or should I try to sell it off and get a new tyre for spare also?( what is the shelf life of such tyres?)
Old 31st December 2008, 09:33   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
I have been using Bridgestone Potenza GIII 185/70/R14 in my Swift VDi for the past 38K Kms. The tyres look almost 25% of life is balance. I had totally 5 or 6 punctures altogether. Planning for a tyre change in next 5K kms. Please suggest me a tyre of same size keeping comfort as first priority. Mostly I drive in the 80-90 kmph speeds max. Budget is <15K for 4 tyres. Also my spare wheel is the OEM 165/80/14, which has never touched ground. Shall I continue to keep it as spare? Or should I try to sell it off and get a new tyre for spare also?( what is the shelf life of such tyres?)
Generally the shelf life of such tyres is about5-6 years in Indian conditions.

IF the 165/80-14 is newer than that, keep it.

You can look at Yokohama A drives or stick to Potenza GIII if you dont want to experiment. For comfort, I would suggest that you look at COntinental tyres' range in India. they have a 195/60-14.
Old 31st December 2008, 14:59   #580
BHPian

Time for an upgrade, time for an upsize

My car's stock Bridgestone S322 are running out of grip and are getting noisier by the day. Although they have been driven for just about 24K kms, I think its high time to make a change since they are 6 years old now. Also, I need to upgrade to 185/60 R14 from the stock 175/65

I am primarily looking at comfort, low noise and economy as my first priority since the S10 has a very stiff suspension setup, at the same time I need decent amout of grip and handling. So S-drives, Potenzas and Pilot Precedas I guess are out of my list.

So I made visits to Saifee Tyres, Santacruz & Premji's Sales Co, Mahim and enquired about Michelin Energy XM1+, Yokohama A-Drives, Bridgestone Turanza ER-300. They believe if budget is not a problem, Michelins are the ones to go for. I dont mind spending a bit more for better quality, but are Michelins that much better in the first place. The prices quoted to me are :-

XM1+ - Rs. 4,400/-
Yoko A-Drive - Rs. 3,300/-
Turanza ER-300 - Rs. 3,700/-

Surprisingly, XM1+ is also available in 186/65 for Rs. 3,700/- or so. Cant fathom how or why? Also, how good is Turanza ER-60 or even A-drive R1? Have'nt heard a lot of reviews on these. More importantly, do these fit my requirements in the first place?
Old 31st December 2008, 16:16   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Anil, BFG, ES100 & PP2 are performance tyres whereas the Turanza & MXV8 are comfort biased tyres. What exactly are you looking for in the tyres? Performance or Comfort? Decide based on that.

PP2 is a superior tyre to the BFG's though.

And prices for the BFG & ES100 are more or less on the money but expect the PP2/MXV8 to be more expensive then them & probably the Turanza too.

P.S. Pilot Primacy's are no longer available in 15" sizes.
Ishan bhai. Thanks a lot for the reply.

How do you generally differentiate between performance and comfort tyres? (I can make out their job from their type). But with respect to the following parameters -

1: Handling/ease of steering
2: Mileage
3: Life of the tyre

For sedate city driving with ocassional Highway trips, I'm looking at performance tyres. Plus the aesthetic look of the car too.. I am more keen on the BFG and ES100. Read on the forum that ES100 are a passe and the S-Drives are the in thing. But dont think they are available in 195/60/R15. Can anyone confirm the same ?
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:54   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please suggest me a tyre of same size keeping comfort as first priority. Mostly I drive in the 80-90 kmph speeds max. Budget is <15K for 4 tyres. Also my spare wheel is the OEM 165/80/14, which has never touched ground. Shall I continue to keep it as spare? Or should I try to sell it off and get a new tyre for spare also?( what is the shelf life of such tyres?)
Choose between the Michelin XM1+ & Yoko A.Drives. You can also look at Bridgestone's Turanza series or Apollo Acceleres. And keep the stepney, it's not an issue at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
For comfort, I would suggest that you look at COntinental tyres' range in India. they have a 195/60-14.
Have you done a review of the Continental's yet Nikhil? Would like to know how they are.

And that's an incorrect upsize for the Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
I am primarily looking at comfort, low noise and economy as my first priority since the S10 has a very stiff suspension setup, at the same time I need decent amout of grip and handling. So S-drives, Potenzas and Pilot Precedas I guess are out of my list.
Surprisingly, XM1+ is also available in 186/65 for Rs. 3,700/- or so. Cant fathom how or why? Also, how good is Turanza ER-60 or even A-drive R1? Have'nt heard a lot of reviews on these. More importantly, do these fit my requirements in the first place?
I would suggest you go in for 185/65 R14 if you're looking for comfort. And forget about the A,Drive R1 for comfort though you can consider the Turanza's along with the other options you've listed out.
Old 2nd January 2009, 03:15   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Ishan bhai. Thanks a lot for the reply.

How do you generally differentiate between performance and comfort tyres? (I can make out their job from their type). But with respect to the following parameters -

1: Handling/ease of steering
2: Mileage
3: Life of the tyre

For sedate city driving with ocassional Highway trips, I'm looking at performance tyres. Plus the aesthetic look of the car too.. I am more keen on the BFG and ES100. Read on the forum that ES100 are a passe and the S-Drives are the in thing. But dont think they are available in 195/60/R15. Can anyone confirm the same ?
Well mostly it's the tread pattern & also the positioning of the product in the market by the manufacturer which determins the basics. Apart from that here is my analysis:

1. Performance tyres are better.
2. Comfort tyres generally last more.
3. Again, comfort tyres are better here.

And yes, S-Drives are not available in 195/60 R15.
Old 2nd January 2009, 08:59   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Choose between the Michelin XM1+ & Yoko A.Drives. You can also look at Bridgestone's Turanza series or Apollo Acceleres. And keep the stepney, it's not an issue at all.
Thanks Ishan.
I think if Apollo Accelers can be considered it will be the best bet for me. I have contacts to get some good discounts for them. I was hesitant as very rarely only we hear about them here at tbhp.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:38   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ishan.
I think if Apollo Accelers can be considered it will be the best bet for me. I have contacts to get some good discounts for them. I was hesitant as very rarely only we hear about them here at tbhp.
Go for them Abhilash, they're good tyres.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks