Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2016, 15:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Puncture frauds - How do they work?

It's 300/- per puncture in Bangalore and chennai. But no new punctures are created so I guess we get the better deal.
Old 25th July 2016, 14:50   #167

Article in golden sparrow online magazine about Pune's puncture scam.
reachbennym is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 11:00   #168
BHPian

I had my first experience yesterday, luckily I escaped without major damage.
Felt one of the rear tyre to be a little low on air, and hence went to get it checked at the HP Fuel Station exactly opposite Apollo Hospital in Jasola, Delhi.
The guy said the air is super low and type is punctured. I didn't have a choice here, hence had to get the puncture fixed. A brand new 1.5" screw came out shining. I don't suspect any wrong doing till this point, because I just pulled over near the air pump and closely monitored what this guy was doing. He then called the 'puncture' guy to help me.
After the puncture was fixed, the puncture guy tells me that I've driven with a punctured tyre and the valve which is used to fill air has got cuts in it. To prove this he put a plastic cap on the valve, and dipped in water. Air was rushing out like crazy. Now 2 options were presented, a cheaper valve for Rs.120 and a 'premium' one for Rs.150.
However all this was a little too much for me, and the last thing I wanted was some cheap product for my relatively new car. I asked him to replace the spare with the punctured tyre and pack-up my stuff. He almost came down to pleading to get the premium one for Rs.100, but get the work done.
I went out straight to the A.S.S near my home, and asked them to check. Within 2 mins I had the verdict, the small plastic cap he used, had a small pin inside, which when tightened was pushing on the pin in the valve and causing the air leak! Nothing was wrong with the valve in the first place!
Felt so relieved, and joyfully drove back home!
DuHasstMich is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 12:54   #169
BHPian

This article was published couple of weeks back. It is the story of one gentleman who made it his mission to collect all the nails that is spread by the local puncture walas. Surprisingly he collected over 75 KG of nails since the last few years. Kudos to him that that particular stretch saved many unsuspecting motorists from getting drawn to puncture scams. Not to forget about the number of accidents that must have been reduced due to his efforts. Unfortunately he is now leaving Bengaluru.

http://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.co...w/57026784.cms

Quote:
Early morning, as Bengalureans rushed to work, a man could be seen quietly combing the road along the HSR-BDA flyover, looking for something. With a long stick and in cycling gear, he peddled along the stretch, seemingly oblivious (but not quite) to buses swishing dangerously past him. That would be Benedict Jebakumar, a techie who has been picking up nails — purposely thrown onto the roads — that lead to frequent Punctures, on this stretch. He has been doing this for the last five years – but this Friday will be his last. He’s leaving the city.
sukhoi30 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 22:26   #170
Senior - BHPian

Please send this gentleman to Pune, he can make a decent living selling the large number of nails thrown by the scamsters to a scrap dealer
Old 6th March 2017, 20:22   #171
BHPian

I don't know if it's a Tyre fraud or if its bad roads or if its pathetic Tyre Quality of Good Years. Over the last 3 months My Ecosport's tires have had received puncture treatment for roughly 23-24 holes. With 2 tires having 9 holes each. I was there for each repair and monitored everything very closely, and the nails, did come out of each hole.

Place: Noida
Tyre Mileage: 30180 KM

although the initial 3-4 punctures along with the valve replacement were clearly spam, as both were diagnosed by the Tyre shops during refills, its the last 18 punctures that trouble me. Thread depth is still deep enough for another 10-15k Kms, but now I am worried, If i should go ahead and buy a Chinese brand tires for low price, or go ahead with my original plan for Michelin. One thing is for sure, It's my first self sponsored car, with my hard earned money, and I am very sad right now. If there is any other puncture, and If i am able to figure out the scam, I will surely
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 21:20   #172
BHPian

Shocked at all the horror stories about 'puncture scams' ! In some forty plus years of driving (mostly in east and northeast India) I have not faced any ! Now-a-days I find unfamiliar puncture repairers overcharging, but that is all. So except in an emergency I avoid going to unfamiliar tyre-repair shops even to fill air, as most fuel outlets have the free service.

A little initiative and knowledge may save you from many such swindles :

1.Buy and keep a few spare valve cores (Rs. 10/- for tubes) or valve stems (Rs. 50/- for tubeless). If someone insists you have a faulty valve, promptly produce your own stock and ask him to fit it. Not only will the grin vanish from his face, but he may give up the trick altogether !

2. Buy and keep a valve wrench ( I keep one in every vehicle plus one at home). A simple and small tool, it costs about Rs. 10/-, and has four small arms for poking into valve cores or tightening them, plus a centre die for clearing the outer thread of valve nozzles. If a puncture-man insists you have a faulty valve, try tightening it yourself, and in most cases the leak will stop. Sometimes the valve core is not tightened properly and after a few fillings it tends to leak. Even when nothing is reported, try tightening all five cores by yourself to ensure perfect sitting of the cores in the nozzles, but be careful not to over tighten. With some practice one learns exactly how much torque is needed. This tool even comes handy to punish someone who parks in front of your gate or is otherwise being a bother -- simply loosen two of his valves a little so that he gets double flats after some time of slow leaks !

3. Use a puncture repair solution inside tubes or tubeless tyres. These really work, and come in handy to avoid emergencies like a sudden flat at night or in blinding rain or at a remote place. But they work for punctures only, and cannot repair a cut or a 'burst'. These solutions also help sudden loss of control at high speeds. I started using them on bikes, and now have them in 4-wheeler tyres too.

4. Keep a few spare dust caps and always replace if one is missing. Air-fill men either overtighten them after filling causing them to crack and fall off, or fit them loosely with the same results -- always personally check every wheel after a fill. Keeping the nozzle mouth clean prolongs valve life.

5. If possible, buy a tyre pump of your own -- medium priced -- and fill air yourself. They are all made in China and will need replacing after a few years, even those with tyre brands like Michelin & GoodYear -- but worth it.

6. Always keep stepney in good shape. Keep a tubeless repair kit with you. And a spare tube in the trunk, if you run tube type tyres.

With all these precautions, hopefully one will be a smaller target to these scamsters !

Last edited by Eddy : 25th September 2017 at 15:21. Reason: Spacing for better readability
SnakemanJohny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 15:14   #173
Senior - BHPian

There is a Scam going on between Shaurya Hotel and Datta mandir chowk road, near wakad. Two kids riding a Bajaj Platina/Discover maybe ( without rear number plate ), will come near you left window and point towards your front tyre.

The same kid tried to play this trick on me twice, I guess they prefer outstation cars.
And worst part they keep riding between these two places looking for a victim.

It is this thread which has ensured I did not get trapped.

Last edited by silverado : 25th September 2017 at 15:17.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 13:43   #174
BHPian

Hey all,

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I couldn't find my answer anywhere so posting my questions here.

Recently when I got my air filled, the guy told me that the tyre valve has become old and needs replacing, which is causing the air to flow out slightly faster. However, that tyre's air pressure was only 2 psi lower (28) than the others (30). I usually keep it at 33 psi.

The current 4 tyres were changed about 1.5 years ago and have only ~10-12k kms of running under them.

I believe that the guy may have been fibbing, just to get more business out of me. But I do have a trip coming up next week, and don't want to risk it. Is there a way for a layman like me to check whether a tyre valve has actually become old and is due for replacement? How long do tyre valves usually last?
Old 5th January 2019, 15:00   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Hey all,

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but I couldn't find my answer anywhere so posting my questions here.

Recently when I got my air filled, the guy told me that the tyre valve has become old and needs replacing, which is causing the air to flow out slightly faster. However, that tyre's air pressure was only 2 psi lower (28) than the others (30). I usually keep it at 33 psi.
Don't take a risk for a long trip. You could check yourself by putting water on the valve or putting your ear next to it. Get it fixed from a trusted petrol pump or any tyre shop. I would suggest a tyre/alignment shop as they fix it without spoiling balance. Going rate here is 150 for "Bridgestone" valves.

Here in Delhi the road side guys usually sabotage the valve by inserting a pin into the rubber part and then say it's faulty, objective being an extra 200rs earned. Always fill air from petrol pumps.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2019, 15:37   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Hey all,....
guy may have been fibbing, just to get more business out of me. But I do have a trip coming up next week, and don't want to risk it. Is there a way for a layman like me to check whether a tyre valve has actually become old and is due for replacement? How long do tyre valves usually last?
Tyre valves may leak if the pin inside gets damaged while filling air. Many times the air attendants are not gentle while filling air. Best to check the valve as mentioned above. Also invest in a electric pump and top up air yourself. It's a 5 min job saves hassle for queuing up at pumps and you can treat the valves carefully saving yourself pin related damage.
Old 5th January 2019, 16:01   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

The best valves are manufactured by a company called Triton. The valve type for cars is called TR414. Costs 50 bucks. But most tyre shops charge 100 bucks for the same.

All the shiny steel valves/Bridgestone/Michelin branded valves are not that great and definitely not worth the premium.

There is a MGP part which is a set of 10 such valves for 280 rupees. Making it 28 rupees per valve. I have purchased a pack and kept a few valves in the car as a backup. These are Triton manufactured valves.

Always change the valves when changing tyre and ensure that the valve caps are always screwed on.
sagarpadaki is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2019, 14:23   #178
BHPian

Hey all,

Sorry for the delay in my response. Some personal matter came up and I was unable to reply during the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Don't take a risk for a long trip. You could check yourself by putting water on the valve or putting your ear next to it.
I will try this now when I get back home. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
Here in Delhi the road side guys usually sabotage the valve by inserting a pin into the rubber part and then say it's faulty, objective being an extra 200rs earned. Always fill air from petrol pumps.
- The tyres are always topped up / re-filled at petrol pumps, so roadside guys aren't an issue.
- But like you mentioned, I fear that the petrol pump guy too maybe saying it just to earn that extra Rs. 150-200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Tyre valves may leak if the pin inside gets damaged while filling air. Many times the air attendants are not gentle while filling air. Best to check the valve as mentioned above. Also invest in a electric pump and top up air yourself. It's a 5 min job saves hassle for queuing up at pumps and you can treat the valves carefully saving yourself pin related damage.
- I was contemplating on purchasing an electric pump a while back so as to avoid driving to the petrol pump every time. But I found that they come with their own set of problems such as the risk of the wrong calibration leading to under filling or over filling or even no air being pumped in, in some cases. I decided skip the whole idea the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The best valves are manufactured by a company called Triton. The valve type for cars is called TR414. Costs 50 bucks. But most tyre shops charge 100 bucks for the same.

All the shiny steel valves/Bridgestone/Michelin branded valves are not that great and definitely not worth the premium.

There is a MGP part which is a set of 10 such valves for 280 rupees. Making it 28 rupees per valve. I have purchased a pack and kept a few valves in the car as a backup. These are Triton manufactured valves.
Thanks @sagarpadaki. Will check this out once I can ascertain whether the valve is at fault or the attendant.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 13:03   #179
BHPian

In Gurgaon almost all puncture shops charge 150-200 for the valves. The valves everywhere are the flimsy rubber body ones that don't last long and while filling air the attendants too roughly use them.

To keep a few spare valves with me i have ordered these ones along with the inner stems and they should be with me this week. These looked more durable to me and hopefully they will fit my rims.

Name:  Screenshot_2.png
Views: 2620
Size:  20.0 KB
Old 22nd January 2019, 21:42   #180
BHPian

Good beginning,Mr. Nobody. The all black rubber valve stems (with brass inside) cost Rs.16.80per piece on AMAZON.IN including delivery, as you must have seen. They are good enough, and have lasted more than a year on my Alto so far. Cost me Rs. 25/- in Calcutta tyre shop. The ones you have chosen are slightly costlier, with aluminium stems and dust caps. Should fit all wheels, but will look better on alloys. Black/green plastic dust caps cost 165/- per 100 !
Take steps further, please follow the advice given in my earlier post of 26 Aug 2017. And let us starve the fraudsters !

With the initial investment of a few valve inner cores, few valve stems (for tubeless) and a mini-compressor and self-sealing fluid inside tubes, I NEVER visit the PUNCTURE-WALLAH or the AIR-WALLAH. I fill all tyres on all my vehicles --Nissan Jonga, Maruti Gypsy, Alto, and Yezdi M/Cycle at home.
Not only do I save money on frequent checks & airfills, but I always get correct pressure in all tyres, as tyres are supposed to be filled/checked when cold.

AND I forget when I last had a puncture, even in a state forever celebrating religious and political festivals (means always putting up pandals and dismantling them -- throwing nails carelessly on roads.)

So I do not even know whether the puncture scams have invaded our part of the country. Must ask friends !

Last edited by SnakemanJohny : 22nd January 2019 at 21:58. Reason: Omitted information
SnakemanJohny is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks