Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2009, 18:36   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

The pressure is dropping in all four tyres? Something seems to be wrong. Maybe the valve pins have gone. If tubes become weak, the air leaks out completely. Not by only 3PSI in 2 weeks.

Though on the other hand, 3PSI in 2 weeks is ok. It's not abnormal.
Old 9th November 2009, 09:53   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Hi Nikhil,

I had an interesting question about tyres and would like to seek your advise on the same.

I own an Accent CRDi that has done around 40k km in around 4 years. Of late I have been observing that the air pressure drops by 3 psi in just a fortnight which was never the case earlier. I use my personal electronic tire pressure gauge to confirm.

I have a lot of tread left of my tyres. I don't want to replace them

Do you think that the tubes could have become weak ? What could be the reason for the same

Regards

Sateesh
I do not think tubes are weak. There are various reasons why tyres might loose air pressure. Increasing tyre/wheel temperature by long drives or repeated breaking is one of them. Also having your car parked in Sun during daytime may also be another reason.
Old 9th November 2009, 10:39   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If tubes become weak, the air leaks out completely. Not by only 3PSI in 2 weeks.

Though on the other hand, 3PSI in 2 weeks is ok. It's not abnormal.
Thanks a bunch Nikhil. I am glad that this is just fine as I didn't see this earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I do not think tubes are weak. There are various reasons why tyres might loose air pressure. Increasing tyre/wheel temperature by long drives or repeated breaking is one of them. Also having your car parked in Sun during daytime may also be another reason.
@ Diesel Fan - I am quite fortunate to have covered parking for my car both at home and office.

Shall monitor the same and check for valve pins if it becomes too bad.

NOTE : My car has never been without the valve pin cap in all these 4 years

Cheers

Sateesh
Old 11th November 2009, 00:24   #379
BHPian

Guys,
My Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Nxt has done 40k kms and the service guy told me that the tyres are pretty hard and need a change. Should I change or wait somemore?

If i have to change, can you please suggest a decent set to go with? The car is usually driven for office commute, and occasionaly on long drives, so I would prefer good ride quality against the sport feeling.

Its a 5 year old car, so please suggest accordingly.

Thanks,
Naresh
Old 11th November 2009, 09:09   #380
Senior - BHPian

Change your tyres because they are 5 years old and covered 40k as well. If you can afford go for Michelins (best ride quality) and decent performance. I suggest stick to stock size. Make sure you can fit tubeless if you have steel RIMS or buy Alloys If you plan to keep your car next 3 years.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th November 2009, 09:39   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift_ICE View Post
Guys,
My Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXi Nxt has done 40k kms and the service guy told me that the tyres are pretty hard and need a change. Should I change or wait somemore?

If i have to change, can you please suggest a decent set to go with? The car is usually driven for office commute, and occasionaly on long drives, so I would prefer good ride quality against the sport feeling.

Thanks,
Naresh
Please Change. Tyres are the most important safety item on the car. IMO their importance is much more than airbags.

If the roads on which you drive are fairly good go for Michelin else go for BS Turanza. Michelin XM1+ are expensive by 15-20% over Turanza.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:41   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

You dont need only good roads to drive on Michelin! That's a misconception you have which I've noticed through your posts.

The XM1+s are very good tyres on bad roads. They absorb the bumps, potholes and slight irregularities on the road with aplomb. They are durable as well. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to associate Michelin with sidewall defects. While it's true of some of their tyres, the XM1+ has performed admirably on Indian roads.

Yes, it's expensive. That's because they are imported and they have the MICHELIN name! . Michelin is a premium tyre. They charge you for their name! Unfortunately, all Europeans seem to suffer from this syndrome. Continental(not in India, but across the world, they have a premium pricing), BMw, Merc, Audi, etc....etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift_ICE View Post
Guys,

Thanks,
Naresh
For your usage, I would definitely recommend the Michelin XM1+. They are a little bit more expensive, but worth the extra money IMHO.
Old 11th November 2009, 18:35   #383
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the suggestion guys. Also should I go for 4 or 5 tyres. The 5th tyre is absolutely unused and has been lying around for all these years. Should i buy 4 and keep the 5th one as it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Change your tyres because they are 5 years old and covered 40k as well. If you can afford go for Michelins (best ride quality) and decent performance. I suggest stick to stock size. Make sure you can fit tubeless if you have steel RIMS or buy Alloys If you plan to keep your car next 3 years.

Regards,

Ravi.
Sorry I forgot to mention I am already on the stock alloys and the current tyres are MRF ZVKS 175/65/R14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Please Change. Tyres are the most important safety item on the car. IMO their importance is much more than airbags.

If the roads on which you drive are fairly good go for Michelin else go for BS Turanza. Michelin XM1+ are expensive by 15-20% over Turanza.
Roads are neutral with lot of speed breakers (around 30 one way each day )

Quote:
For your usage, I would definitely recommend the Michelin XM1+. They are a little bit more expensive, but worth the extra money IMHO.
Any info on the total damage( cost of tyres+ WB etc) would really help me decide.

I think this is ... but is there a way to reduce cabin noise inside an Ikon?
Old 11th November 2009, 20:53   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift ICE --- I think you have either ZVTS or ZV2K! There is no ZVKS!

I would suggest you stick to the OEM size of 175/65 R14 and go in for XM1+.

XM1+ and ER 60 both would cost you around 3.7k. At the most, the difference might be around 50-100 bucks which sure isnt close to 15-20%.

I would say that you can keep the spare and buy only 4. Of course, this naturally implies that you dont use the spare on a regular basis. Use it only in case of an emergency.

Tyre noise is one factor which you can reduce. Here again, the XM1+ is much quieter than the ER60s. But if it's wind noise you are talking about, this is the wrong thread! . I would think that some sort of damping material(used in ICE installations) would help, but I'm not sure.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:47   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Swift ICE --- I think you have either ZVTS or ZV2K! There is no ZVKS!
Yes indeed, I meant ZVTS!

Quote:
Tyre noise is one factor which you can reduce. Here again, the XM1+ is much quieter than the ER60s. But if it's wind noise you are talking about, this is the wrong thread! . I would think that some sort of damping material(used in ICE installations) would help, but I'm not sure.
Thanks, I think it's a combination of wind and tyre.

Thanks for your prompt responses.

Cheers,
Naresh
Old 15th November 2009, 13:32   #386
BHPian

One last question!

I read in one of the other threads that there is a speedo error in Ikon with the stock size of 175/65 R14. Should I go for 185/65/R14? My primary concern is ride quality and tyre noise.

Should I stick to stock size of 175/65 R14 or go for 185/65/R14?
Old 15th November 2009, 16:00   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

I would think that 185/65 R14 is too big for the Ikon. No doubt it will give you a much better ride, but it might scrape on full load or at full lock.

If someone with some personal experience can correct me, I'd be glad.
Old 15th November 2009, 17:01   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

@Swift Ice, looks like you have the 1.6, who's stock was 175/65 R14.

Your closest options :
1. 185/60 R14. Speedo error : -0.94% (Speedo will show more than actual speed)
2. 185/65/R14. Speedo error : +2.23% (Speedo will show less than actual speed)

You can go upto 195, but that will mean profile will have to be reduced. I am doing 185/60 R14 as replacements for my 175/75 R13. Another TBHP-ian is running 195's.
Old 15th November 2009, 17:26   #389
BHPian

still confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Swift Ice, looks like you have the 1.6, who's stock was 175/65 R14.

Your closest options :
1. 185/60 R14. Speedo error : -0.94% (Speedo will show more than actual speed)
2. 185/65/R14. Speedo error : +2.23% (Speedo will show less than actual speed)

You can go upto 195, but that will mean profile will have to be reduced. I am doing 185/60 R14 as replacements for my 175/75 R13. Another TBHP-ian is running 195's.
Yes, I do have 2005 Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXi. I dont necessarily want to upsize. I still dont get it.

Stock or 185/60 R14 then? I will mostly go for XM1+.
Old 15th November 2009, 19:53   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest 185/60 R14's. Esp since you have the 1.6.

The ride will be much better than with stock tyres. Steering might feel a lil heavy initially, but you will soon like it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks