Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 10:10   #1801
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Swift : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Have to pick up my swift vdi on this wednesday

shortlisted this alloy in 15" X2 005BM on changemytyre.com

TYRE Michellin Size: P 205/65R 15 94V at Rs 6476 or : P 185/65R 15 88H at 5,625 or 195/60R15 5,925 per tyre..prime purpose comfort and no noise

Also pls shed light on exchange potential of stock rims and tyres, how much moolah can i get in exchange
The Swift will be very happy on 185/65 R15 XM2. The only problem is that the XM2 doesn't show off tyre width that well. So, it wont look like 185 cross section tyre when viewed from the rear. But grip wise, its all you need. And 195 and above has 3 grooves on the tread and looks better.

I don't think you will get much for the steel discs. But the stock 14" tyres should move like hot cakes. If one can swap tyres straight away, expect 3K + for each tyre.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 10:15   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The Swift will be very happy on 185/65 R15 XM2. The only problem is that the XM2 doesn't show off tyre width that well. So, it wont look like 185 cross section tyre when viewed from the rear. But grip wise, its all you need. And 195 and above has 3 grooves on the tread and looks better.

I don't think you will get much for the steel discs. But the stock 14" tyres should move like hot cakes. If one can swap tyres straight away, expect 3K + for each tyre.
Thanks, just to clarify 195 would give less comfortable ride because of 60 profile instead of 65 or would it be negligible difference in ride quality and steering. Finally which one should i go for.
Old 14th October 2013, 10:23   #1803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Thanks, just to clarify 195 would give less comfortable ride because of 60 profile instead of 65 or would it be negligible difference in ride quality and steering. Finally which one should i go for.
Between the two, the difference in radius is just 3mm, so its shouldn't be too much different comfort wise. And the new Swift rides well. I have got 195/60 XM2 on our Swift and no complaints. The pictures are in the ownership report and I had shared the link a few pages back in this thread.

195/60 has made the steering marginally heavier and I prefer it that way. Though, my comparison is with the 185/65 MRF ZVTV which is just about an average tyre.

One advantage with 185/65 is that it fills the wheel wells better when looked from the side profile.
Old 14th October 2013, 15:28   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Between the two, the difference in radius is just 3mm, so its shouldn't be too much different comfort wise. And the new Swift rides well. I have got 195/60 XM2 on our Swift and no complaints. The pictures are in the ownership report and I had shared the link a few pages back in this thread.

195/60 has made the steering marginally heavier and I prefer it that way. Though, my comparison is with the 185/65 MRF ZVTV which is just about an average tyre.

One advantage with 185/65 is that it fills the wheel wells better when looked from the side profile.
Sure so how about yokohoma db which is 195/64/r15
also whats a good place in west Delhi to buy yoko/michellin and would exchange stock tyres also.
Old 17th October 2013, 14:34   #1805
BANNED

Hi guys I have swift vxi Gen1 and my tires need replacement since they pretty badly worn out.
I am buying a new car in March 2014.
Could you please suggest some tyre which is not too costly since I don't want to spend a lot as I am replacing my car next year.
Old 17th October 2013, 15:29   #1806
BHPian

You can go for bridgestone tyres or worst case JK's, will suggest if you are bound to sell the car in next couple of months try to speak with some tyre dealers in your area - he may help you in sourcing some not soo abused tyres at lesser costs to carry the car forward for next few months till you get a new ride.
Old 18th October 2013, 13:39   #1807
BHPian

I have stock alloys on my Dzire ZDi older model, 185/70/R14 is the tyre size. On my next change, I plan to shift to Michelin XM2 from the currnt Turanza. Will the stock support 195/70/R14? Will the mileage increase (more grip/less slippage), will the ride quality improve on the non-existent Mumbai roads? What are the pros and cons of such a switch? Is it advisable? I am a frugal driver. Guide please.
Old 29th October 2013, 10:20   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Swift will be very happy on 185/65 R15 XM2. The only problem is that the XM2 doesn't show off tyre width that well. So, it wont look like 185 cross section tyre when viewed from the rear.
I agree with you. The tread width on my 185/65/15 XM2 is only 135 mm front and 125 mm rear with pressure at 33 psi front and 30 psi rear and only 2 front seat occupants. The tyre does look thin. wonder if it really is 185 section width?

Here quoting from tyre bibles "This is the width in mm of the tyre from sidewall to sidewall when it's unstressed and you're looking at it head on (or top-down). This is known as the section width."

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#ixzz2j5EBuSTR
Old 30th October 2013, 09:05   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I agree with you. The tread width on my 185/65/15 XM2 is only 135 mm front and 125 mm rear with pressure at 33 psi front and 30 psi rear and only 2 front seat occupants. The tyre does look thin. wonder if it really is 185 section width?
It looks so due to the very rounded sidewalls. Michelins don't have square shoulders like a Yokohama. So the tread width doesn't look as imposing as the latter. But I don't think it affects the contact patch area. Both should be just about the same.
Old 9th November 2013, 13:17   #1810
BHPian

Yoko A drives on the front wheels on my Swift ZDI have developed uneven wear (i.e. both the left and right wheels have worn out more on the inside than outside) after 23000 kms of driving due to both the front toes being misaligned.

I have been aligning, rotating and balancing my wheels every 5K with the last alignment done at 20K. Wondering what could be the source of the issue. Is it due to improper alignment earlier (unfortunately, I am unable to trace the 20K alignment report) or due to my driving on pretty bad roads recently? Once the front wheel got stuck on slush and mud and had to maneuver a bit of left and right to get it out.

Have shifted them to the rear (left front to left rear and right front to right rear) but can feel the lack of grip on the rear. I intend to replace the entire set by 30k or 35k or so with a good 185/65 R15. Have a few doubts and will be grateful for answers

a) For the time being, does it makes sense to swap the left and the right rear tyres or should I leave them as it is.

b) Apart from XM2, are there any good options in 185/65/R15?
Old 11th November 2013, 08:38   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
a) For the time being, does it makes sense to swap the left and the right rear tyres or should I leave them as it is.

b) Apart from XM2, are there any good options in 185/65/R15?
I think it will be best if you take the opinion of a reliable tyre guy. Is it MRF or Goodyear?

Not many good options other than XM2 in 185/65. Check this page out: http://www.changemytyre.com/Tyres/Ca...D=13&CityID=71

195/60 is also a good option and you get many choices there.
Old 11th November 2013, 09:39   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Hi Sateesh,

The ZLO might be few mms wider than the XM1+

But such a big difference is almost impossible with just a change of rubber. You have even kept the size same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@ I guess I need to look at the pressure.

In my case my mileage in the city never crossed 16 ever.

I am giving 2 months to fix this. Let us see

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@SS

You daily drive is dream for most of us in BLR. Lol !!

I have done the following

2. Will try and upshift at around 1.8k rpm - Earlier sometimes it used to be well beyond 2.5k :-(

Shall keep you folks updated

Cheers
BHPians

Time to update this thread on the findings.

What was done

1. Updated my tyres with the following pressure - The tyres in front now are filled with 33 psi and the tyres at the back are filled with 31psi
2. Upshifting before 2k
3. Downshifting only after 2k
4. Gave up all instinctive acceleration

Only missing task is to move to Delvac 1 which will happen soon.

Result - Have been getting around 15kmpl for the last 3 tank fills but I don't think I can adhere to all points listed (other than #1) for a long time in Bangalore traffic.

Shall enjoy the good mileage as long as it last

Enjoy the week ahead swifters

Cheers
Old 13th November 2013, 10:55   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
I think it will be best if you take the opinion of a reliable tyre guy. Is it MRF or Goodyear?

Not many good options other than XM2 in 185/65. Check this page out: http://www.changemytyre.com/Tyres/Ca...D=13&CityID=71

195/60 is also a good option and you get many choices there.
Thanks. I am currently on 195/60 R15 Yoko A Drives. Thinking about switching back to 185 to get slightly better mileage, 3 mm more GC and speedo correction.
Old 17th November 2013, 01:31   #1814
BHPian

I am using ES100 195/60/15 since last 70000 Kms and now i am thinking to change it as it has lost the grip and braking. although tread hasn't worn out yet still it can do 10000 Kms more.
I am thinking to go for same ES100 again as it has served me really well and i liked the grip and cornering and not to mention profile looks.
what are my other options ?
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:07   #1815
BHPian

Hi Friends,

After 60K on the ODO of my 2011 Swift Vdi with the company provided GoodYears, I plan to change the tyres in the next few weeks.

From what I have read in the forums, Yoko A Drives (185/70 R 14) seems to be the best combo of cost+durability+comfort+noise (in that order).

Can someone please suggest if this makes sense?

Also, can someone recommend a tyre dealer that can provide competitive rates in Delhi-NCR area (tyreonwheels.com quotes 15,900 for a set of 4).

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks