Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2008, 12:19   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajivr View Post
How about 205/55/R15 for 1.8 TPI?

Reason for asking this : I already have 205/55/R15 yokohama s-drives on my fusion. Planning to buy 1.8 TPI. these tyres are new (hardly done around 3K) and I would like to reuse them rather than buying a new set.
205/55 R15 wont work...
Old 4th August 2017, 11:29   #32
BHPian

Re: Octavia wheel upsize & ride quality

Guys,

Reviving an old thread in search of some expert help.

I have a Diesel Octavia 2016 and is currently running stock set up.

I am looking to go for Alloy Wheels and although I have now been driving for good 15 years, I'm completely blank when it comes to Alloy Wheels - other than knowing that they look real good.

I would like some help with:

- What should I be expecting to spend for the Alloy Wheels and the rubbers combined ?

- Any particular brand I should look for ?

- I'm inclined to upgrade to 17 inchers? Would it negatively impact the ride quality by any way?

- Has anyone faced any warranty issues after upgrading to a bigger set of wheels ?

Any help will be great.
Old 4th August 2017, 16:07   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_chd View Post

I am looking to go for Alloy Wheels and although I have now been driving for good 15 years, I'm completely blank when it comes to Alloy Wheels - other than knowing that they look real good.
The new Octy comes with alloys as standard. You could look at swapping them with that of a higher model / painting them, etc.

You could get an upgrade, but be prepared that the ride quality will go down and there is a higher risk of tyre damages if you drive on poor roads. Skoda dealers will insist that the warranty is void, but according to some threads - only the suspension warranty would be void (and maybe a few sensors too).

You can try to mitigate the ride by getting comfort oriented tyres such as Michelin P3ST / Continental MC5 etc. instead of performance tyres (Michelin PS4, Continental CSC5, etc.)

For a set of 17" alloys wheels, you need a 112PCD profile and there are many options to choose from. The MOMO revenge are amongst the most popular designs and should be around 8-12K each depending on what brand and design you finally choose (imported alloys will be significantly more expensive). Tyres too will cost a similar amount for good quality options if not more.
Old 5th August 2017, 14:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The new Octy comes with alloys as standard. You could look at swapping them with that of a higher model / painting them, etc.

You could get an upgrade, but be prepared that the ride quality will go down and there is a higher risk of tyre damages if you drive on poor roads. Skoda dealers will insist that the warranty is void, but according to some threads - only the suspension warranty would be void (and maybe a few sensors too).

You can try to mitigate the ride by getting comfort oriented tyres such as Michelin P3ST / Continental MC5 etc. instead of performance tyres (Michelin PS4, Continental CSC5, etc.)

For a set of 17" alloys wheels, you need a 112PCD profile and there are many options to choose from. The MOMO revenge are amongst the most popular designs and should be around 8-12K each depending on what brand and design you finally choose (imported alloys will be significantly more expensive). Tyres too will cost a similar amount for good quality options if not more.
Hey Mate,

Thank for replying back.
Yes the car comes with alloys as standard but the those are the ones I don't like at all.

Now I have a choice to go with 17" aftermarket ones or I can get Black Alloys from Skoda which are 16" but would not take away the warranty. Although they aren't exactly what I was after, this seems to be the best compromise.

Another good part being that fact that I can stick to the stock tyres for the time being and upgrade them ones they've run out a bit more - the car has only done 13000 so far.

They have quoted 12K a piece. Is the price justified ?

I'm also planning a host of other accessories like a rear spoiler, door sills, a complete overhaul of the ICE, etc. but that's perhaps best left for other threads.
Old 8th August 2017, 16:26   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now I have a choice to go with 17" aftermarket ones or I can get Black Alloys from Skoda which are 16" but would not take away the warranty. Although they aren't exactly what I was after, this seems to be the best compromise.
You're from Chandigarh - the roads are quite good and you can consider 17" alloys.
Also, a lot of owners in CHD have upgraded their alloys from stock, so check with a few reputed tyre dealers if they have any original Skoda alloys with 112 pcd that you can exchange yours for until your car is out of warranty and you pick up those 17"s.
Old 8th August 2017, 16:49   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Reviving an old thread in search of some expert help.

I would like some help with:

- What should I be expecting to spend for the Alloy Wheels and the rubbers combined ?

- Any particular brand I should look for ?

- I'm inclined to upgrade to 17 inchers? Would it negatively impact the ride quality by any way?

- Has anyone faced any warranty issues after upgrading to a bigger set of wheels ?

Any help will be great.
What is the current tire profile that you have?

Look for used alloys, you will find lot of 17" wheels on olx etc. If you are patient, you will get a good deal. Don't spend more on the alloys if on budget - plenty of German OEM 17" wheels on sale for 20K or under.

Buy good quality fresh tires, don't go cheap on tires. Depending on the profile 40-50K I think for 17" fresh tires.

Don't see much point in buying same size alloys

Last edited by androdev : 8th August 2017 at 16:51.
Old 21st August 2017, 13:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
If you are patient, you will get a good deal. Don't spend more on the alloys if on budget - plenty of German OEM 17" wheels on sale for 20K or under.

Buy good quality fresh tires, don't go cheap on tires. Depending on the profile 40-50K I think for 17" fresh tires.

Don't see much point in buying same size alloys
Absolutely. No point changing alloys of same size.

I am actually contemplating a plan to downgrade the wheels on my Laura from 18" to 17" and hence did some homework as well.

One could actually get used E Class alloys set of four for around INR 25K budget and quality will any day be better than most after market ones in budget range.

225/45 R17 on 7J alloys is a popular combo globally for Octavia. Plenty of tyres also available in this combination from Michelin, Continental and Pirelli in INR12K range per piece. Cheaper options from Falken, Nangkang etc would cost roughly INR 8K per piece but not recommended.

Its not only the profile of a Tyre which make it uncomfortable but the hardness of wall does. Also the stock suspension setup may not make huge difference if up-sizing just by an inch as per my experience.

Last edited by jacs : 21st August 2017 at 13:09.
Old 21st August 2017, 14:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
You're from Chandigarh - the roads are quite good and you can consider 17" alloys.
Also, a lot of owners in CHD have upgraded their alloys from stock, so check with a few reputed tyre dealers if they have any original Skoda alloys with 112 pcd that you can exchange yours for until your car is out of warranty and you pick up those 17"s.
I have recently moved to Ahmedabad and the roads here are, well, the less said the better.

Will try and see if I can get other options.
Thanks for your help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks