Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2014, 14:40   #271

Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

I've been using Aceleres as OEM on my Polo 1.6 Petrol since 17-18K, and have no complains about the grip/baldness till now. The tyre is comfortable yes, but not too quiet. The only problems I have had with is punctures - about 3 of them in last 6 months in different tyres.
Old 20th May 2014, 13:17   #272
BHPian

Cross posting from another thread since the query is related to tyres.

Guys. Need your help. My 3yr 32k run i20 front right wheel developed a sidewall tear yesterday in the hands of a hospital valet. According to him, he drove it for hardly 100m and was executing a left turn towards end of the parking lot when the front right wheel suddenly deflated with a big hiss and he saw the crack. Since I was busy with doctor appointment, he himself took the pain of changing the spare and car was ready by the time I finished the appointment. I have no reason to doubt these guys because I am their customer (read patient) from past 1.5 yrs and I know most of the valets by name.

Only a couple of months ago, the front left tyre developed a sidewall crack after I ran over a big stone in the middle of the highway enroute from Bangalore to Hyderabad. I took multiple opinions and the tyre guys recommended adding a tube since the cut was less than 2 inches wide and advised me to use it as a spare only.

I am frustrated, more so because the trusted tyre guys said the tread depth is good and I can run these tyres without any issues til 45k or 5 yrs whichever comes early. Now with another wheel suffering a sidewall crack, I am left with no choice but to purchase a new tyre since I cant risk having two tubeless tyres with tubes fitted in them and one of them doing regular running duty.

Now my questions to you guys.

1) Are my tyres nearing end of life? If so, what is the explanation for a side wall crack in a parking lot?
2) My car came with apollo aceleres. I plan to buy the A-drives. How good are these things. I have heard from reviews that A-drives have softer side walls than Aceleres. In that case, wont I make the situation even worse?
3) I am planning to replace only the recently cracked tyre. If so, is it advisable to run tyres with different tread depths?
4) Any other tyre makes for replacement? I am looking for tyres with strong sidewalls especially after the latest episode.

Thanks in advance
Old 20th May 2014, 15:53   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

Guys. Need your help. My 3yr 32k run i20 front right wheel developed a sidewall tear yesterday in the hands of a hospital valet. According to him, he drove it for hardly 100m and was executing a left turn towards end of the parking lot when the front right wheel suddenly deflated with a big hiss and he saw the crack. Since I was busy with doctor appointment, he himself took the pain of changing the spare and car was ready by the time I finished the appointment. I have no reason to doubt these guys because I am their customer (read patient) from past 1.5 yrs and I know most of the valets by name.

Only a couple of months ago, the front left tyre developed a sidewall crack after I ran over a big stone in the middle of the highway enroute from Bangalore to Hyderabad. I took multiple opinions and the tyre guys recommended adding a tube since the cut was less than 2 inches wide and advised me to use it as a spare only.

I am frustrated, more so because the trusted tyre guys said the tread depth is good and I can run these tyres without any issues til 45k or 5 yrs whichever comes early. Now with another wheel suffering a sidewall crack, I am left with no choice but to purchase a new tyre since I cant risk having two tubeless tyres with tubes fitted in them and one of them doing regular running duty.

1) Are my tyres nearing end of life? If so, what is the explanation for a side wall crack in a parking lot?
2) My car came with apollo aceleres. I plan to buy the A-drives. How good are these things. I have heard from reviews that A-drives have softer side walls than Aceleres. In that case, wont I make the situation even worse?
3) I am planning to replace only the recently cracked tyre. If so, is it advisable to run tyres with different tread depths?
4) Any other tyre makes for replacement? I am looking for tyres with strong sidewalls especially after the latest episode.

Thanks in advance
Hi,

I have had a very similar experience with my Acelere tyres on my i20.
Within the first 3 months of the car, i noticed that the side wall of the rear RHS wheel had developed a crack and had completed deflated. I dont remember driving over a stones or anything and there was no damaged marks on the tyre. So somehow with the help of Trident Hyundai i managed to get the tyre replaced.
And now, after 1.3 years, while taking a right turn on the road, the front left tyre suddenly deflated with a big hiss and to my shock there was a big crack
there was practically no impact or anything, and yet this happened. My car had driven only 5600kms by then, as i take my car to college and back and nowhere else.

However, i went to Blue Hyundai near my house to show the tyre as i knew a few people who could help me there. They registered a complaint and the apollo people called me to their office with the tyre for inspection.
They say, it is due to some impact from an earlier incident and the crack opened up later on. They offered me a replacement with 40% discount on tyre and 60% i have to pay.

I am kind of unhappy with the trye. I never drive the car on highways, and yet the tyres gave up. Am am concerned about the safety of the tyre, and planning to upgrade to a better tyre now.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 20:17   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
The cut in the sidewall is clearly due to some impact. Maybe a stone or a kerb. It cannot just open up on it's own.

Also, it is not safe to use a tube in a tubeless tyre. The inner layer of the tyre and the outer layer of the tube can rub and get damaged resulting in an explosive deflation while driving at high speed. This will not happen in a tubetype tyre because the inside of the tyre is designed to tolerate friction with a tube.

In your case, from a safety perspective, I will say change 2 tyres immediately. I know it hurts to spend so much money, but this is the safest option. Trying to save a couple of thousand bucks, you should not risk your car and your life.

For strong sidewalls consider the Michelin XM2 or Yoko Earth 1. Bridgestone will also be a decent option.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 10:57   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
In your case, from a safety perspective, I will say change 2 tyres immediately. I know it hurts to spend so much money, but this is the safest option. Trying to save a couple of thousand bucks, you should not risk your car and your life.

For strong sidewalls consider the Michelin XM2 or Yoko Earth 1. Bridgestone will also be a decent option.
Thanks for the help. I had a talk with my tyre guy yesterday and he too had the same thing to say. So will be replacing two tyres this weekend. Since I am planning a drive to Coorg in the first week of June, it is absolutely necessary I get this done.

My initial thought was to go with A-drives as many in this forum have given good reviews about it. How are the A-drives different from the Earth-1s in terms of sidewall strenght and tread life? What is the price I should be looking at for both A-drives and Earth-1?

Also for the size 185/65R14, Bridgestone offers a variety of tyres like B250, MY01 and Potenza. Which one do you recommend keeping in view my reuirement of good sidewall sterngth and tread life.
Old 21st May 2014, 18:33   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

The Earth 1 has a stronger sidewall. Pricing is on par with the A drives. Just a 100 bucks more.

Given your requirements, I would still suggest the Earth 1. I've heard only good things about it. There is a dedicated thread on that. Check it out.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 13:31   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
The cut in the sidewall is clearly due to some impact. Maybe a stone or a kerb. It cannot just open up on it's own.

You were absolutely right. Me and my freindly tyre guy did some root cause analysis and found out that it was a past impact that caused the tyre to open up. Here is the list of steps that transpired.

1) Feb 2014: We were returning from Bangalore and were around 60kms from Hyderabad: On the highway a rogue stone placed carelessly in the middle of the fast lane caught the driver (read me) unawares and he went over the stone at close to 90kmph
2) I could feel that both the left side wheels had run over the stone. But when I had stopped some distance away to check the damage, I could find only the front left wheel having a side-wall cut. Inspected the rear left tyre but it did not show any signs of damage (or so I thought)
3) Changed the front tyre with the spare and continued my drive back to Hyderabad.
4) Since the spare was a completely unused one (this was my first puncture), the front tyres had different tread wears. The friendly tyre guy (FTG from here-on) advised me to move the front left (the erswhile spare) to the rear. Hence the rear left wheel was moved to the front right.
5) Car was without issues for almost 3 months and another additional 1000 or so kms.
6) Last week the front right wheel gave way while at parking speeds leading me to believe it was a manufacturing defect or tyres nearing end of their life (how wrong I was).
7) During yesterdays Root cause analysis of the suspect wheel, the FTG applied a fine coat of talcum powder on the sidewalls (both outer side and wheel well facing side). As per him, it would help reveal hidden cracks on the tyre.
8) The tyre had a side wall crack at the outside due to which it had deflated. What was amazing was that at the exact place on the wheel well side , there was a hairline crack (though it had not completely opened up). What was more amazing was that both cracks were eerily similar to the crack developed when the front left wheel went over the stone on the Bangalore highway. Carbon copy, if I may say.
9) Did a similar talcum powder coating on the other old tyres and luckily there were no visible cracks and the FTG gave a go-ahead to use these tyres for another 15k based on the TWI

I bought two new Earth-1s at a very good price and mounted them both at the front. Also the Yokohoma dealer here was saying that A-drives are no longer manufactured and the ones available are unsold stock. Dont know how true this is.

The most visible difference is that the normally lifeless i20 steering wheel is showing some feedback and it had also weighed up a bit (I am loving it!!!)
Old 26th May 2014, 14:08   #278
BHPian

Quote:
You were absolutely right. Me and my freindly tyre guy did some root cause analysis and found out that it was a past impact that caused the tyre to open up. Here is the list of steps that transpired.
Better, if the 2 new tyres are put in the rear.

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2015 at 12:42. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:31   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Always put new tyres at the rear. Google for that and watch some videos about how new tyres at the front can be dangerous.
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:51   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Ideally, it is best to change all tires at a time and do a proper tire rotation, but if you must change in sets of two, then as members suggest, it is best to put the new tires on the rear axle. A fishtailing rear is a lot difficult to control than the front tires losing the grip.

PS: And it is irrespective of the drive system of the car, i.e.. RWD/ FWD.
Old 12th September 2014, 10:24   #281
BHPian

I am presently using stock Apollo Acelere tyres on my Skoda Rapid. Already have done 28500 KMs and still no sign of tread wear. They provide a good grip (wet and dry). No punctures till now. However tyre noise has started increasing day by day and that is the only con I can say. For this reason I would not stick to these tyres. I have seen on Michelin India site that XM2 is now available in 185/60 R15 size. Planning to change Apollo Acelere to XM2 once 35000 KMs are completed.
Old 11th November 2014, 18:24   #282
BHPian

I have used stock apollo acelere tyres on my i20 185/65 R14 lasted almost 25,000Kms after which these started to wear out quite fast replaced the set at 30,000 kms they still had half life in them means they would last for almost around 45-50k kms.

Been using yokohama s-drives from than with 15 inch alloys till my car was sold in September feel.
Old 12th November 2014, 09:32   #283
BHPian

I had apollo acelere tyres on my i20 as well, and they didnt last more than 30k kilometers, which I think is less. Also, when I switched to Bridgestone B290, I realized how noisy the Apollo tyres actually were! For the first time with Bridgestone I was able ot hear the engine, otheriwse all I could hear was tyre noise. In terms of grip, the tyres are good.

On my next car, I decided not to risk it with the stock Apollo Alanac and got a different brand instead.
Old 26th November 2014, 14:37   #284
BHPian

I have decided to change all four tyres on my Indigo CS, this weekend. It is currently running on stock tyres from Apollo (Amazer XL). I am trying to decide between Apollo Acelere and Bridgestone S322. I value reliability above all else as I plan to do a fair amount of time on the highways in future. Please weigh in with your thoughts on which tyre should I opt for.
Old 26th November 2014, 16:12   #285
BHPian

hey guys is the new apollo alnac the same or any different from the apollo accelere ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks