Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 17:22   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Its been 1.5 years since my Wagon R CNG is running the Apollo Accelere(OEM) and it has run in almost 42,000 kms till now.

It is time for a change and did some scouting to check the options available and any upsize if possible.

The OEM is shod with 145/70/R13 and the A.S.S have advised against any upsize.

A reputed tyre shop has told that an upsize till 155/65/R13 is possible.

Now, the costs:

Michelin XM2- Rs. 4000/- per tyre for upsize and Rs. 3800/- for the OEM
Bridgestone- Rs. 3800/- per tyre(any of the above specifications)
Apollo- Rs. 2600/-(OEM)
JK Tyres- Rs. 2450(OEM)

There is a huge disparity in the costs.

To be honest, barring a few punctures(nail and sharp object related and a valve mal functioning), the tyres have not given me a lot of problems.

My Ford Ikon was shod with Michelins and the major difference I could feel was the road noise minimization.

I cannot compare the ride quality of an Ikon to a WR so it would not be logical comparison between the two tyres on the ride quality dynamics.

So, the end result- Acceleres sure look VFM and do their task without a lot of hassles.
Old 12th November 2013, 17:47   #242
Senior - BHPian

Though they are bashed in the forum I find MRFs value for money. The Zen got these shoes lately and are performing well at 2k a piece, after exchange. I guess for a small car it doesn't matter whether the tyres are premium or not.

Now, the costs:

Michelin XM2- Rs. 4000/- per tyre for upsize and Rs. 3800/- for the OEM
Bridgestone- Rs. 3800/- per tyre(any of the above specifications)
Apollo- Rs. 2600/-(OEM)
JK Tyres- Rs. 2450(OEM)

There is a huge disparity in the costs.

To be honest, barring a few punctures(nail and sharp object related and a valve mal functioning), the tyres have not given me a lot of problems.

My Ford Ikon was shod with Michelins and the major difference I could feel was the road noise minimization.

I cannot compare the ride quality of an Ikon to a WR so it would not be logical comparison between the two tyres on the ride quality dynamics.

So, the end result- Acceleres sure look VFM and do their task without a lot of hassles.[/quote]
Old 12th November 2013, 17:52   #243
BHPian

Hi All,

I am personally not a big fan of Apollo tyres however, I think they have done a decent job on my Hyundai i20 CRDI. I have the stock 185/65 R14 on them and they have clocked 44K Kms on them with another 10K kms to go. I think they are better than the other OEMs available (excluding Bridgestones) however I would upsize my car with 195/60 R14 continental premiumcontact3 when these wear out.
Old 12th November 2013, 18:05   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi All,

I am personally not a big fan of Apollo tyres however, I think they have done a decent job on my Hyundai i20 CRDI. I have the stock 185/65 R14 on them and they have clocked 44K Kms on them with another 10K kms to go. I think they are better than the other OEMs available (excluding Bridgestones) however I would upsize my car with 195/60 R14 continental premiumcontact3 when these wear out.
Very correctly observed. Apollos are certainly better than the JKs and the MRF.

Infact, a close friend of mine driving an Amaze is pretty pissed off with his MRF. Multiple punctures, faulty valve et all. The tyre was also shown to multiple renowned tyre shops and they unanomously stated that these tyres are not of good quality!!
Old 13th November 2013, 09:24   #245
Senior - BHPian

I was a bit unlucky with the aceleres. My i20's front left tyre developed a side wall bulge last week after running around 14000 kms. Had to get it changed. Since the rest of the tyres are fine, went with the same brand again. Costed me 4200 for a single tyre.
Old 13th November 2013, 14:48   #246
BHPian

The OEM Apollo Acelere in our Skoda Rapid apart from the road noise, was faulty. One tire has developed 3 minor cracks and air is leaking through these minute gaps. Car has run 30K kms. Next set of tires are definitely not going to be Apollo.
Old 13th November 2013, 15:33   #247
E63
BANNED

I dont get the hate for the Aceleres.

My fabia has them 185/65/R14 and they've been faultless for the 25K odd KMs that I've run.
Not even a puncture.
Old 15th November 2013, 22:54   #248
BHPian

My spark has aceleres that has done 68 k, and it's still good for another 10 k. And lots of highway runs in that. I love those tyres, in fact I did ask people in the forum, if I could replace jk vectras with them my cruze when I bought them. But then I bought michelins.

But if someone says aceleres are bad, I guess they just don't know the tyre well enough. Or may be I just got lucky with them about 6 years ago!

Last edited by BurningHeart : 15th November 2013 at 22:56.
Old 16th November 2013, 14:30   #249
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed that most of the VW / Skoda cars came with Apollo Acelere tires. However, my Polo 1.6 came with JK Vectras and I am pretty disappointed with them. I am anyway planning to upgrade / upsize my tires now. I want to stick to the stock size of 185/70/R15 but there are no other brands other than JK & Apollo which offer this size. My other choices are:

Yokohama S-Drives 205/55/R15
Yokohama S-Drives 195/60/R15

Should I really 'upsize' or just 'upgrade' to Aceleres?
Old 16th November 2013, 19:01   #250
BHPian

Hi Epic. JK Vectra definitely are not at par with Aceleres. Especially the 1.6 deserves better rubber. Just upgrading to Aceleres in the same size would definitely improve things.

Unless you really are an aggressive driver and really love to throw your 1.6 around corners everytime you drive, upsizing really doesn't bring much benefit. For everyday driving and occasional blasts on the highway the stock size would suffice.

Upgrading to S-drives in your sizes will definitely improve grip by miles and they will look smashing but the tyre life will be lower and most of the available grip would never be used. Go for them only if you really need that much grip.
Old 17th November 2013, 12:25   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hi Epic. JK Vectra definitely are not at par with Aceleres. Especially the 1.6 deserves better rubber. Just upgrading to Aceleres in the same size would definitely improve things.

Unless you really are an aggressive driver and really love to throw your 1.6 around corners everytime you drive, upsizing really doesn't bring much benefit. For everyday driving and occasional blasts on the highway the stock size would suffice.

Upgrading to S-drives in your sizes will definitely improve grip by miles and they will look smashing but the tyre life will be lower and most of the available grip would never be used. Go for them only if you really need that much grip.
Thank you for the genuine advice. I mostly drive 40 kms a day from my home to office and back and go outstation once in 03 months so it is mostly city driving.
Old 20th November 2013, 19:36   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I have noticed that most of the VW / Skoda cars came with Apollo Acelere tires. However, my Polo 1.6 came with JK Vectras and I am pretty disappointed with them. I am anyway planning to upgrade / upsize my tires now. I want to stick to the stock size of 185/70/R15 but there are no other brands other than JK & Apollo which offer this size. My other choices are:

Yokohama S-Drives 205/55/R15
Yokohama S-Drives 195/60/R15

Should I really 'upsize' or just 'upgrade' to Aceleres?
I too have a Polo 1.6 which came with stock acelere.. To my surprise I had to change two of them around 30k. I replaced them with Goodyear since I was out of the city and the wornout tyres gave way and had no other option, might have gone for Yokohama if I had a choice.. I have had other cars before and never had to replace tyres before 50k or so.

Wouldnt recommend Accelere. I have heard similar stories from other Polo -Accelere owners
Cheers
Anu
Old 20th November 2013, 21:16   #253
BHPian

I have said this before and let me say this again. Apollo acceleres are real VFM. I have driven my VW Vento HL diesel on stock Apollo tyres for 23000+ kms and they have served me well, without even a puncture. There is a lot of criticism about the road noise with these tyres, I always drive with the window closed and AC on, so the road noise, if any, does not bother me at all. I use nitrogen and do regular alignment check and wheel balancing every 5000 kms. I find the ride quality and handling while cornering to be quite good. Experiences are quite personal and mine has been quite good with these tyres. We have to curb the general tendancy to see everything Indian as of poor quality and praise the so called foreign premium brands. These forums are full of horror stories from those, who have paid extra money and gone for these so called premium brands.
premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 14:07   #254
BHPian

Hey guys,

Any experience for the Acelere Sportz? Or are they the same as the Acelere that is being reviewed/ discussed on this thread?

Thanks,
Anant
Old 11th December 2013, 18:21   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
So, the end result- Acceleres sure look VFM and do their task without a lot of hassles.
Did you get the 155/65/R13 Accelere?
Planning to upgrade my WagonR tires and am seriously considering the 155 Accelere

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks