Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2012, 19:03   #211
BHPian

Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Our Ford Fiesta Classic actually came with MRF which was looking pathetic and not so good breaking(experienced in other cars), asked the SA to change it to Apollo acelere. Planned to go with the Figo alloys but then backed out.

After covering ~ 11,000 KMs Mostly highway and some city driving, Below is what I feel:
+ Grip in general is good.
+ Pattern looks nice (almost similar to Michelin)
+ Braking is good.
+ Heard the lifetime is good too - anywhere from 35 - 55K KMs (of course based on usage)

- Highway noise at around 130+ KM/hour is way too much that it along with the engine noise sounds exactly like a truck
Old 28th November 2012, 15:57   #212
BHPian

Anyone using Acelere for SX4 - Zxi - 205/60 R16? How do you see its performance so far?
Old 29th November 2012, 19:48   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
5. The only grouse - sidewalls always seem to be bulging out in the true radial fashion. Don't really get the satisfaction of having right volume of air in the tyres.
Any comments on the 5th point?
Excessive side wall bulge may appear when the rim is not 'wide' enough for the width of tyre. I don't know what width punto rims are but 195 width tyre requires ~ 6j width rim or greater, just my 2 cents.
Old 5th January 2013, 22:58   #214
BHPian

Hey there team!
Just wanted you all to know, I just came back tonight after replacing my I20 asta diesel 2011 model aceleres with a fresh set of 5 michelin xm2s after reading up about them here.. I would like you all to know that i had to replace these tyres within 1.5 years with just 31000 kms on them. I had 2 bubbles on 2 of the tyres and one bad puncture right on the sidewall of the third which required two strips of tubeless repair pieces and 1 tube in the tyre for me to be able to use it again! I started getting these problems since the 25k mark and was trying to avoid long trips for fear of a bad burst mid-highway. But i have a hyderabad to delhi solo road trip coming up this month end and didnt want to risk it anymore. I got to the michelin showroom at miyapur and found the guy there knows what he is doing and did it quickly and efficiently. I am looking to the road trip now on these highly praised set of xm2s. Will keep you posted on them surely. Thanks team-bhp... youve made me happy again after being disappointed by the OEM tyres from apollo.
Old 12th June 2013, 09:13   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Fiat Grande Punto came with Apollo Aceleres 195/60 R15. So far, I've driven the car for 11,500 kms
Hi Sankalp,

Hows the performance of the Acceleres on your Punto since the last you posted a year back. Any surprises as the kms are clocked? How does the tyre feel in respects of grip during the monsoons?

Are the Acceleres on you Punto with alloy wheels are steel rims?
Old 12th June 2013, 09:43   #216
Senior - BHPian

Although, we recently upgraded our Civic's shoes with Apollo Acceleres I would suggest people to look for options. Michelin Primacy LC was what I was initially thinking about but the fact that the Civic is not going to be with us for long, we decide against spending more.

The Acceleres are apparently not the best tyres money can buy. They're good but typical OEM quality. You have a soft compound tire but the road noise is apparent even in the Civic's cabin at high speeds. Also, they're not as confidence inspiring and stable as the Michelin XM1s on my Jazz.

Spend about 5k more and get Michelins is what I would advise.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 11:01   #217
BHPian

I just happened to come across this thread on Apollo acceleres and it is interesting to note conflicting views and experiences of different owners. There are people who have had more than 50K Kms on these tyres. Others have horrific stories to tell about repeated punctures, road noise and what not.

There are equally horrific stories in similar threads about the much praised performance tyres like Michelin on Yoko S drives. There are even pictures showing the damage caused in fairly new tyres due to the softness of the side wall, like bulges or even tears. There is no doubt these are reputed manufacturers, but somehow, they were not good enough for those, who chose to buy them.

What does it all point to. No doubt, the manufacturing process, the compounding and overall quality of the product do count, but that is not all. The road on which we use these tyres do play a significant part in the life and performance of the tyres. Frequent checks to monitor the optimum tyre pressure, the driving style of the particular driver, especially hard braking or overloading of vehicles all play a major part. So, it is unfair to blame everything on the manufacturer; surely the driver, his driving style, and the road that he uses also should share at least part of the blame.

I have driven my VW Vento TDI for over 17,000 Kms. It came with Accelers as OEM and touch wood, till now have not caused any problem. I would not rate them as the best tyres available, but see whether they are value for money. If you want high performance tyres for high speed driving with good stability, comfort and handling, you may definitely need to shell out more money than what you would on Acceleres.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:34   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
The Acceleres are apparently not the best tyres money can buy. They're good but typical OEM quality. You have a soft compound tire but the road noise is apparent even in the Civic's cabin at high speeds. Also, they're not as confidence inspiring and stable as the Michelin XM1s on my Jazz.
Spend about 5k more and get Michelins is what I would advise.
Does this mean the Acceleres are more prone to bulges and punctures. Reg confidence inspiring and stability - does this hold true for the monsoons too. I had Michelins XM1+ on my Fiesta and the grip was fantastic during the rains, add to that low road noise.

Was planning to replace the Acceleres in my booked Punto with Michelin Primary LC but will have to pay the difference of around 10K (2K per tyre), the thinking hat is still on.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:42   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Does this mean the Acceleres are more prone to bulges and punctures. Reg confidence inspiring and stability - does this hold true for the monsoons too. I had Michelins XM1+ on my Fiesta and the grip was fantastic during the rains, add to that low road noise.

Was planning to replace the Acceleres in my booked Punto with Michelin Primary LC but will have to pay the difference of around 10K (2K per tyre), the thinking hat is still on.
Not sure about bulges and punctures - we still haven't got any on the Civic. And as it turns out our i-Gen i20 came with those Acceleres as OEM fitment. No issues on the i20 yet.

To answer your question, I would drive my Jazz like a madman in the monsoons and not get worried with those XM1s losing traction, however, I would be more careful with those Acceleres.

A relative has the 205/60/15 Michelin PLC on his Corolla and he is super happy with the zero-to-none road noise and the cushiony ride quality it has to offer.

I would recommend spend that extra 10k if you're planning on holding on to your Punto for long - they're worth every penny.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 12th June 2013 at 11:45.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 11:58   #220
Senior - BHPian

I bought a set of Aceleres for our A-star. The initial feedback is that its quiet and comfortable and that was my prime requirement.

The problem is the tyre is not as wide for a given size and looks very narrow. Also, since the A-star stock tyre width is 155, it catches most potholes.
Old 12th June 2013, 14:23   #221
BHPian

Completed 35,000 kms today on the OEM Acceleres that came with the Linea. Barring a few punctures the tyres work just fine.

Quote:
I haven't used the Michelin's but I can say for sure that the Acceleres are pretty competent themselves. Couple that with the Punto's brilliant driving dynamics and you should be OK. Switch only if you intend to keep the Punto for a long, and will use the Punto as a corner carver.
iceman7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 09:48   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Sankalp,

Hows the performance of the Acceleres on your Punto since the last you posted a year back. Any surprises as the kms are clocked? How does the tyre feel in respects of grip during the monsoons?

Are the Acceleres on you Punto with alloy wheels are steel rims?
Ghodlur,

The tyres are amazing at gripping the road. Even during rains, i haven't come across any confidence-shattering moment so far. But one has to be careful with water logging on the highways as at speeds around 100-120, the conflict of a speeding car (Punto in this case) with standing water is not something you would want to experience often, on any tyre.

My grouse with bulges remain. But I have come to terms with this reality. I am never satisfied with whether I have the right amount of air in my tyres. Not many punctures and the tread too is decent for my car that has travelled 30K+ kms now.

Pros - Good grip, very good tread
Cons - Noisy, bulges are an eyesore
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 19:53   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Ghodlur,
Pros - Good grip, very good tread
Cons - Noisy, bulges are an eyesore
Thanks Sankalp,
I have Yoko s-drive(205/50R15) in my car right now and was thinking of changing to acelere just because of the noise the yoko makes on highways.
Now I will have to think about other options.

Regards
Old 19th August 2013, 22:29   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringEngine View Post
Thanks Sankalp,
I have Yoko s-drive(205/50R15) in my car right now and was thinking of changing to acelere just because of the noise the yoko makes on highways.
Now I will have to think about other options.

Regards
Ideally you would be spoilt by the grip of the S Drives. If you change to Acelere then you might be disappointed with the grip. Instead i would suggest C Drives. Lovely traction in the wet and very silent!
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 22:34   #225
BHPian

Further to my earlier post in this thread, I have completed 20000 Kms on my Vento diesel with came with Apollo Aceleres. So far , I have had no problem at all, no punctures, touchwood. I do not find them noisy at all in the cabin with the widows closed and AC on, but I must hasten to add that I don't push the car beyond 90-100 Km/h. That will be insane on Kerala roads. Others must have felt them noisy at speeds exceeding 100Km/h. I check the alignment and do rotation and wheel balancing every 5000-6000Kms and looking at the treads now, I am confident that these tyres will last me at least another 20000 Kms more.
I found their road holding to be quite good and braking on wet roads did not cause any anxious moments. They may not be great performance tyres, but they are good value for money. Definitely there are "better"tyres, for which you pay more, but you can see some sad stories with pictures about them too in Team BHP forums. Proves the point that quality of tyre is only one factor and there are many variables like the road, the load, the driver and his style of driving. After going through many threads on tyres in these forums, one thing I learnt; there are two opinions about almost all the tyres in the market, again to prove the point.
premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks