Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 18:50   #196
BHPian

Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Hey guys,

My Fiat Grande Punto came with Apollo Aceleres 195/60 R15. So far, I've driven the car for 11,500 kms and here are my observations -

1. Only one puncture (touchwood)
2. Tread is still good
3. Great road holding capacity. Never faced any issues while cornering on the Lonavala ghats even at high speed (credit shared with the brilliant chassis of the Punto)
4. Some noise is evident at higher speeds
5. The only grouse - sidewalls always seem to be bulging out in the true radial fashion. Don't really get the satisfaction of having right volume of air in the tyres.

Any comments on the 5th point?

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th June 2012 at 21:22. Reason: Removed high speed numbers, thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 23:21   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
5. The only grouse - sidewalls always seem to be bulging out in the true radial fashion. Don't really get the satisfaction of having right volume of air in the tyres.

you could try increasing the tyre pressure by 2-3 psi. that may reduce the bulge.
Old 10th February 2012, 00:23   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
3. Great road holding capacity. Never faced any issues while cornering on the Lonavala ghats even at 140 kmph (credit shared with the brilliant chassis of the Punto)
Ghats' curves at 140kmph!
Please keep yourself and others safe, mate - both, ones in your car and outside it.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
you could try increasing the tyre pressure by 2-3 psi. that may reduce the bulge.
The Optra Magnum came with Acceleres too. I do the same to the front tyres as @guptavis mentions (more details here).

Hope you keep in mind that manufacturer recommendations are for cold tyre pressure. That is, tyre pressure measured before you have run your car in the morning. From what I have observed, depending on usage, cold to warm tyre pressures can often vary from 2psi to 5psi.

Just some friendly advice-
General caution for increased pressure:
An increase in pressure, usually reduced road grip. This increases FE, however also makes the car more prone to skidding on extreme braking. Also more likely to loose traction on hard cornering. So, make sure you check the characteristics/dynamics/braking of the car, after a change in tyre pressure. Even more so, since you drive at 140 on ghat curves.
Old 10th February 2012, 14:58   #199
BHPian

The tyres on my fusion are nearing their end, and need a replacement.

What tyres should I go in for?

Presently, the car is running on stock Goodyear GT3s and have done 43000 kms.

Would upsizing to 205/60/15 be good or sticking to 195/60/15 be advisable?

My running is 65% city and 35% highway.
Old 11th February 2012, 18:07   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
What tyres should I go in for?

Would upsizing to 205/60/15 be good or sticking to 195/60/15 be advisable?
am not a tyre guru but my two cents:
Since you do a lot of your travelling in the city and i dont think fusion is a super power house 205 might be an overkill. (195 is already a wide tyre)
If you do want to go ahead its an okay upgrade sizewise.
Old 21st March 2012, 19:07   #201
Senior - BHPian

I finally changed to Apollo accelere in my Marina. I wanted to go in for 185/65/14 against my stock 175/65/14 but the tire shop guy insisted that I go in for 175/70/14 in my Marina. Is it ok?
Old 25th March 2012, 23:31   #202
Senior - BHPian

Replaced the Apollos with Michelin XM2+ 185/65/14. Costed me 4650 and another 200 each for the replaced Apollos. When was at the Shop another guy came in to change his tires. He had done 55K with is aceleres and replaced them with the same set again. Was running 195/60 in his accent and was very satisfied with the apollos. But till then I ahd already got 3 tires changed so I let it be.
Old 28th April 2012, 16:15   #203
BHPian

Team

What is the usual life of the Accelares that come as the Vento's OE . I have driven 23k and can see the grip diminishing .

Thanks!
Old 24th August 2012, 12:50   #204
BHPian

I have changed the Front tyres (185/65R14) of my Figo from Bridgestone MY01s to Apollo Acelere. Rear tyres are unchanged because there is tread for another 8-10K.

There is no major difference felt upto 100kmph. Braking also seems to be OK. There is no tyre noise (@ 32 psi).

Priced @ around 1K less than "premium" tyres Acelere seems to be okay & the tyre shop guy has vouched for a 50K life before the tyres needs to be replaced.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:44   #205
BHPian

Guys,

You're adding to my headache. I was about to switch to Michelin XM2 from stock MRF ZV2K on my fiesta. My driving is almost 60% on highways.

Any suggestions ?
Old 24th August 2012, 21:54   #206
BHPian

My Ford Figo came with Apollo Acelere. Overall i found them to be satisfactory. They lasted me a good 51K with just one puncture. Very happy with the performance.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:48   #207
BHPian

Want to replace stock MRF's on my Alto to Apollo's (stock size). Driven almost completely in the city by my wife, so reliability, decent grip, minimal change FE and VFM are main concerns.

Lot of people have said the sidewall is weak and gives way. Is it true for average city speeds and decent roads as well? My MRF's lasted for almost 40,000 km before the sidewalls gave way with only 2 punctures after pretty hard usage by me for 3 years.

What say tyre GURU's? Apollo's the way to go?
Old 14th October 2012, 23:16   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Guys,

You're adding to my headache. I was about to switch to Michelin XM2 from stock MRF ZV2K on my fiesta. My driving is almost 60% on highways.

Any suggestions ?
You are on acelere thread and i dont see anything but praises do you?
i myself am a very happy acelere user for ~ 9 months on my NHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Want to replace stock MRF's on my Alto to Apollo's (stock size). Driven almost completely in the city by my wife, so reliability, decent grip, minimal change FE and VFM are main concerns.

Lot of people have said the sidewall is weak and gives way. Is it true for average city speeds and decent roads as well?
I am also looking to change 2 tyres on my alto.
FYI apolo aceleres are not available for ALTO stock size. I have them on my NHC and would definitely get them if they were available for alto. i havent faced any issues with sidewall or anything else.
So i am looking to get apolo amazer 3g (one of my friends got it for his old zen and was happy with them till he sold the car.)
price quoted is around 2100-2200 per tyre.

PS: had the first puncture on my tyres in 9 months and 5k KM last week, but cant blame the tyres for getting punctured by a 2 inch nail.
Old 15th October 2012, 14:12   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
You are on acelere thread and i dont see anything but praises do you?
i myself am a very happy acelere user for ~ 9 months on my NHC.
That was the period when I was researching. I had a very limited experience with tyres and wherever I go, I mostly see 'PRAISES' for the different tyres that the owners were using. For ex, the stock tyres on my fiesta(MRF ZV2K) were super silent and hence owners were happy for that including me but they lacked on the comfort and grip front.

Same was the case with Yokohama, owners swear by it.

I switched to Michelin XM2, the grip(wet and dry both) and comfort are super in comparison to ZV2K, but they are hell noisy.

So the reason I had been asking the members for their opinion is that I wanted a vfm product which may not be excellent in all departments but worth buying. I narrowed down to XM2 as it seemed to be the best option. I have already clocked more than 3K kms in the last 1.5 months on them and I am happy I chose them.
Old 12th November 2012, 11:07   #210
BHPian

Not trying to say that product X is better than Y, but just my 2 cents.

I had MRF ZVTS on my Alto which was my previous car and had done 67000 KMs before we sold it for my current Manza. Never had any issues with the MRF's. In those 67,000 KMs, I had 6 punctures in total. I have run 23000 KMs with my Manza and it came with Appollo Accelere's and with these I have had 8 puntures till date, one of the tyres had a sidewall puncture and thus, is being used as spare, another one had a puncture that started leaking and thus had to have tube installed in it and not to mention that the tread on tires worse than what was left on the MRF's on Alto. So, for me, its good bye to Acceleres in about an year from now and would be shifting over to Michelin or Bridgestone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks