Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:08   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Nikhil Acelere sportz or something is soft, I use the normal acelere on the indica for quite some time, and its significantly hard, though not as hard as the standard JK/MRF stuff
Old 4th May 2011, 07:39   #167
BHPian

My car comes with Apollo Accelere as OE. My experience is actually bad with respect to punctures. It just happens - I agree. But it happens quite often. I ride on good roads though. I'm not technically aware of tyres & rubbers but my puncture guy (now my friend after frequent visits) said - ' MRF is the best for cars. Apollo is soft. '

Even once the tyre's wall cracked & i had to replace - No warranty cover for this kind of damage.

If I have to change my tyres, I would definitely not buy Apollo.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:59   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Yes, the cost is almost the same. However, I have been hearing stories of side wall damage in Michelin tires. Agree, XM1+ are amazing tires with better grip and noise levels, I doubt their longevity compared to Apollo.

However, thanks for the tip, will surely keep it in mind when I am shopping.MaSh
I have used 2 sets of Michelin XM1+ (Made in Thailand)
(1) 145/80R12 (45K Kms) &
(2) 155/70R12 (10K Kms) which is the present tyre in my M800.

Drove for 21 days around India in various conditions in a single trip lasting close to 7K Kms. After running 45K Kms i sold the 145s for 750/- apiece because much tread was left in it. Not a single puncture or pressure loss in the whole life of the tyre.

But nowadays many Michelins sold in India are mfd in China & i cannot comment on their quality because i have not used them.

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 4th May 2011 at 12:03.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 12:33   #169
BANNED

I Am in a great dilemma on whether to go for Bridgestone or Michellin or Apollo

I have a swift which has run 41k kms and two tires which were earlier doing their duty in front are now at back are BAD.Front ones are ok and will run for another 3 k kms or so.

Now i need have a plan but dont know if it right,change two tires to 185/65/R14 instead of 165/80/R14 (stock) now and after 3k kms change the other three to 185's.

By doing this i think both will get worn out at the same time during their life time,

Please suggest i i can run two in 165 and two in 185 for say 2 or 3 months? and which one to go for?
Old 5th May 2011, 12:49   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

Please suggest i i can run two in 165 and two in 185 for say 2 or 3 months? and which one to go for?
I do know how it makes sense but the Tata Nano comes with two different sizes for the front and the back and is intended to run all its life on that

I would prefer changing all the tyres together though as you will have the same pattern and wear and tear and can be rotated more easily later on (if you do about 5000 kms in 3 months thats a 15% worn tyre that you will have)
Old 5th May 2011, 18:59   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nikhil Acelere sportz or something is soft, I use the normal acelere on the indica for quite some time, and its significantly hard, though not as hard as the standard JK/MRF stuff
The Michelin XM1+ is actually harder than the Acelere. You may find it hard to believe, but it is something I firmly believe in! I've seen some Aceleres that have been sliced so cleanly, it could have been done with a surgeon's scalpel! A Michelin XM1+ is more durable in that respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
I have used 2 sets of Michelin XM1+ (Made in Thailand)
(1) 145/80R12 (45K Kms) &
(2) 155/70R12 (10K Kms) which is the present tyre in my M800.

Drove for 21 days around India in various conditions in a single trip lasting close to 7K Kms. After running 45K Kms i sold the 145s for 750/- apiece because much tread was left in it. Not a single puncture or pressure loss in the whole life of the tyre.

But nowadays many Michelins sold in India are mfd in China & i cannot comment on their quality because i have not used them.
An iPhone is also made in China. So is pretty much every camera out in the market. However, you would still trust the brand Apple, Sony, Canon or whatever right?

Same with tyres. Even though it's made in China, they are the same quality as what Michelin makes anywhere else in the world. If a dealer tries this bullshit on you (Sir, Michelin is made in China and is bad quality), run away from that dealer! He is not being honest and trying to hoodwink you.

Quote:

I have a swift which has run 41k kms and two tires which were earlier doing their duty in front are now at back are BAD.Front ones are ok and will run for another 3 k kms or so.

Now i need have a plan but dont know if it right,change two tires to 185/65/R14 instead of 165/80/R14 (stock) now and after 3k kms change the other three to 185's.

By doing this i think both will get worn out at the same time during their life time,

185/70 R14 is the correct size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikkrishnan View Post
I do know how it makes sense but the Tata Nano comes with two different sizes for the front and the back and is intended to run all its life on that

I would prefer changing all the tyres together though as you will have the same pattern and wear and tear and can be rotated more easily later on (if you do about 5000 kms in 3 months thats a 15% worn tyre that you will have)
I agree. Go for all 4 at the same time.
Old 5th May 2011, 20:31   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
An iPhone is also made in China. So is pretty much every camera out in the market. However, you would still trust the brand Apple, Sony, Canon or whatever right?

Same with tyres. Even though it's made in China, they are the same quality as what Michelin makes anywhere else in the world. If a dealer tries this bullshit on you (Sir, Michelin is made in China and is bad quality), run away from that dealer! He is not being honest and trying to hoodwink you.
iPhone/Sony/Apple/Canon does not need brake with 4 lives on it @ 140 kmph without skidding.

I used to export Chinese tyres from Dubai to Africa & know about their durability (or lack of it) hands on.

Nankang tyres are actually Yokohamas (older Yoko technology) made in China. Which one would someone prefer if money was not an issue?

It's actually me who told my multi-brand tyre dealer "Sir, Michelin is made in China and is bad quality, I prefer Bridgestone"

I have had many bad experiences with Chinese tyres but somehow Tyres Made in Thailand/Indonesia (Sime, Siamtyre, GT etc) seems to last longer (never used personally) with very less warranty claims coming back to me.

Michelin truck tyres Made in PRC are a joke. If you need details, pls PM me because i don't want to defame my favourite tyre brand on a forum.
Old 5th May 2011, 21:09   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Go for all 4 at the same time.
But wouldnt that upset the handling?(i'm guessing more oversteer) I dont think tata would take such an important decision without good reason
Old 5th May 2011, 21:30   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
But wouldnt that upset the handling?(i'm guessing more oversteer) I dont think tata would take such an important decision without good reason
Tata claims it makes the car more stable and as the rear wheels are the ones that are driven by the engine is much wider.

This information is on their website
Old 5th May 2011, 21:39   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would advise you not to, as the car will show very different handling characteristics. Even if you go ahead and change, please put the newer or wider or more gripper tyres at the back.

185's upfront and 165's at the back, IMO will cause fishtailing, and some unexpected oversteeer on corners.

165's up front and 185's at the back IMO will effect in an uneasy oversteer. But, is in any way better than a unexpected oversteer.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I did not get you correctly, but arnt there enough cars with different sized front and rear OEM tyres?. Or is it something different that you are trying to say?
Old 5th May 2011, 22:57   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...The Michelin XM1+ is actually harder than the Acelere...
Nikhil, I think the XM1+ has harder thread, but the sidewall remains soft.
Old 6th May 2011, 02:08   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I would advise you not to, as the car will show very different handling characteristics.
I'm sorry if I did not get you correctly, but arnt there enough cars with different sized front and rear OEM tyres?. Or is it something different that you are trying to say?
The nano comes with 185's in the back and 165's in the front, and i think this was done so that
Quote:
165's up front and 185's at the back IMO will effect in an uneasy oversteer. But, is in any way better than a unexpected oversteer.
You meant uneasy understeer right ?
the OP wanted to use the same size on all four tyres, which i felt might cause a bit more oversteer. What you've said above was what i was trying to say, but you put it down better

Last edited by greenhorn : 6th May 2011 at 02:10.
Old 6th May 2011, 02:31   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...What you've said above was what i was trying to say, but you put it down better ...
Thank you.
Quote:
You meant uneasy understeer right ?
Yes, that's what I meant.
Quote:
....the OP wanted to use the same size on all four tyres...
hmm.. Is he just stating a fact, or did he want to change all four tyres at a time?
Old 6th May 2011, 09:36   #179
Senior - BHPian

or perhaps I misunderstood when i read it hastily. now that I've re read it, I'm not so sure.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:53   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
iPhone/Sony/Apple/Canon does not need brake with 4 lives on it @ 140 kmph without skidding.

I used to export Chinese tyres from Dubai to Africa & know about their durability (or lack of it) hands on.

Nankang tyres are actually Yokohamas (older Yoko technology) made in China. Which one would someone prefer if money was not an issue?

It's actually me who told my multi-brand tyre dealer "Sir, Michelin is made in China and is bad quality, I prefer Bridgestone"

I have had many bad experiences with Chinese tyres but somehow Tyres Made in Thailand/Indonesia (Sime, Siamtyre, GT etc) seems to last longer (never used personally) with very less warranty claims coming back to me.

Michelin truck tyres Made in PRC are a joke. If you need details, pls PM me because i don't want to defame my favourite tyre brand on a forum.
Well, let's agree to disagree then! I believe that even though they are made in China, Michelin has it's standards and even the China plant is equal to Michelin's standards world wide.

Quote:
I was not referring to a Nano! I was referring to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Nikhil, I think the XM1+ has harder thread, but the sidewall remains soft.
There is no difference between the XM1 and the xm1+ except for the extra 10mm of tread on the XM1+.

However, the sidewall is quite strong on the Michelins. Dont compare it to the MRFs and the JKs but to the other quality products like Acelere, A drive.

Most Viewed