Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2012, 17:46   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

The travelogue & the pictures shall continue, but this is breaking news:

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-sariska1.jpg
gd1418 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 23:25   #122
BHPian

Incredible pics as usual sir!! Thank you so much and I'm sure you're having a wonderful time on almost each trip that you make to these safari's .

This is the best pic from the ones' above. Looks like a 3d pic. I've learnt and read so much about tiger's after reading the travelogues on t-bhp and am totally addicted.

Old 2nd July 2012, 00:32   #123
Senior - BHPian

In continuation

After letting Sundari pass, she started walking in front of our jeep as if leading us all the way to the exit gate.

The Catwalk had started:

Keeping to the left

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7244.jpg

To the right

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7248.jpg

In the middle

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7252.jpg

Between the arched gate

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7260.jpg

A startled Langur gives out an alarm call. Hearing the Langur's call we see a Cheetal herd cross the road hurriedly. Sundari spots them and slows her gait, then freezes and crouches.

The gait slows

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7264.jpg

Freeze & crouch

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7268.jpg

And then suddenly the taut muscles release and the sprint starts. I'm a still photographer and don't know how to take videos. Also I don't have any video taking equipment. The sprint couldn't be captured on the camera.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7270.jpg

Thus the show ended and we were already near the exit gate. The time too was up. Thoroughly satisfied we proceeded to our room.

Thank you Sundari....

What would the afternoon safari hold for us?

to be continued.../-
gd1418 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

Thank you kaka46 for the kind words of appreciation. God & the forest has been very kind to me on almost all of my visits.

This picture is not a 3D picture. I was shooting with the 24~70mm lens and Sundari vanished into a thicket. Going by past experience, she was supposed to emerge ahead of my jeep, but all of a sudden she surfaced right where my jeep was parked. This shot was taken in a jiffy as it was totally unexpected.

Though my guide went ballistic and almost choked trying to get my head & camera in, I didn't get scared and managed to get this shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post

Incredible pics as usual sir!! Thank you so much and I'm sure you're having a wonderful time on almost each trip that you make to these safari's .

This is the best pic from the ones' above. Looks like a 3d pic. I've learnt and read so much about tiger's after reading the travelogues on t-bhp and am totally addicted.
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:38   #125
BHPian

awesome pictures sirji. specially liked the ones taken with extreme wide angle of Sunadri passing our gypsy.
sach.sri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:27   #126
Senior - BHPian

24th June, 2012 - Afternoon safari

T 6 alias The Berda Male alias Romeo - the strongest & biggest male of R'bhore

The morning safari was a great success and we all were eagerly looking forward to the noon safari. After a brief rest & lunch we were ready well before time.

The jeep came on time and we had been allotted Zone 4 that boasted of three Tigers including Machchali that occupied the Lakkardah area, though she had not been sighted for the last 5 days. It was quite alarming.

We entered the forest after making entries at Sinhdwaar and immediately proceeded towards Lakkardah. Machchli is the world's oldest known living Tigress in the wild. She is now around 17 years and has almost lost her all canines. The forest authorities have assigned one ranger exclusively for Machchli who keeps track of her daily.

Nearing Lakkardah we met this ranger who was tracking Machchli on foot. He confirmed that for the last 5 days he hadn't seen Machchli or got any sign of her. His worried countenance said it all. We too were concerned. After scouting the area and finding nothing, we proceeded towards Bakolah near Berda.

This area belonged to T 6 otherwise also known as the Berda Male or Romeo. He is the biggest & strongest male Tiger of Ranthambhore. After scouting a few waterholes on the way we reached the Berda waterhole and saw a few jeeps standing. A tiger was cooling itself in the water.

Oh boy, it sure was Romeo.

Since already a few jeeps had occupied the prime viewing point by virtue of being there first, We had to park ourselves at the back.

Now here I made a mistake and also again regretted the lack of a 2nd camera body. Already the 80~200 was loaded on the camera and it would've been sufficient, but greed overtook me. I wanted a close-up so started changing the lens to a 300mm with TC. Now this was time consuming. Had to take the 300 out of its casing, install the TC first on the camera and then the 300 and put the lenscover on the back of the 80~200.

By the time I was done with it, Romeo got out of the water and started going towards the thicket. I had lost a great opportunity. If only I hadn't changed the lens.

The Berda Male had killed an adult Sambhar just a few minutes ago and after having eaten some flesh had gone off to cool. He came back to eat some more and then plonked down & slept. Now he wouldn't get up till dusk.

The pictures:

Behind the bushes - troubled by heat

Look at the massive head

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7286.jpg

The Sambhar kill

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7312.jpg

Trying to rest

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7323.jpg

Asleep

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7305.jpg

Waiting for the King to get-up

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7327.jpg

What is all this commotion?

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7323a.jpg

When it finally dawned on us that Romeo would now not get up, we left the forest. On the way saw this Sunset.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7332.jpg

The day came to an end. Sachin & family would be leaving tonight to Delhi by train. My wife & I would stay back and leave for Gurgaon tomorrow after the morning safari.

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 2nd July 2012 at 15:31.
gd1418 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:10   #127
Senior - BHPian

We reached our hotel, elated on having seen the biggest & the strongest, disappointed for not being able to see Machchli and personally angry at myself for having missed some wonderful shots while trying to change lenses.

I hope Sachin must've taken those pictures since he didn't have to change lenses. Those pictures should be visible as & when he writes his version of the travelogue.

Dinner was laid for Sachin & family at 7:45 pm and by 8:15 they were on their way to the station in the Hotel's Xylo to catch the 9:15 pm train. Received a message at 9:20 from Sachin after he boarded the train. We too had dinner and after transferring the pictures from the mem card to HDD, I too hit the sack.

25th June, 2012

Got up as usual, texted Sachin to find out if he had reached Delhi and started getting ready. We were ready & waiting for the jeep that I received a message from Sachin at 5:40 informing that he had reached and was on his way home.

Today the jeep came late - at 6:10. Since we were only two, this was a sharing jeep and I had already booked three seats for myself. A foreigner lady was already in the middle row so we took the last row. Two more guests were to be picked-up. I was fidgety as time was running out since by a stroke of luck Zone 4 was allotted again and I wanted to reach Berda at the earliest to catch Romeo since he had killed a big Sambhar the previous evening and would eat it over three days.

By the time we picked up the other two guests (two american young guys) and reached the entrance gate it was nearing 7 and I was a bit irritated. After completing the formalities at the entrance I exhorted the guide & the driver to race to Berda. Well, for a change, they too had the same agenda and since there were three foreigners in the jeep they expected a decent tip if they could show the Tiger.

I told the driver that we would first go to Berda and then on our way back would explore Lakkardah for Machchli and then scout Malik Talao for Sundari. They concurred and we proceeded to Berda on a fast pace keeping our eyes & ears open to the surroundings.

As we reached the Bakola area we could sense the buzz in the air. Some jeeps were parked and waiting and we too waited. I got to know that the kill was not there and had been dragged deeper. It was 7:50 am and nothing moved. A herd of spotted deer was grazing peacefully and this meant that no danger was around.

We decided to go and explore another water-hole nearby and on reaching there found a forest jeep waiting. The driver said that he was waiting for the last 15 minutes and nothing stirred. After waiting with him for some time we returned back to Berda and decided to wait. The day was getting warmer & warmer and after a full stomach the Tiger had to come to drink water and cool itself.

We were standing in a shade and further away from us three jeeps were waiting and they had a view of the water-hole. At 8:15 suddenly the engines of those three jeeps sprang to life simultaneously and rushed near the water-hole. The Big Cat had arrived. We too rushed and our driver parked at a vantage point giving us a clear view of the water-hole.

What a surprise...! I was expecting the Berda Male, instead it was a Tigress - T 41 cooling itself in water. How come she was in this area? Where had Romeo gone? He couldn't have possibly finished of the whole Sambhar overnight.

Well, shunning those thoughts away I started taking pictures. Then I noticed something that startled me more. T 41's whiskers & lower jaw were soaked in blood. Did she steal Romeo's kill? She wouldn't dare to. Or was she the Juliet to this Romeo and the male shared his dinner? So many questions but no answers.

T 41 cooling off

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7337.jpg

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7352.jpg

A perspective shot to show the distance from which I was shooting

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7358.jpg

T 41 suddenly gets alert with ears cocked-up and looks someplace intently

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7365.jpg

T 41 with ears flattened and ready to pounce

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7371.jpg

Aha, her consort the Berda Male arrives

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7372.jpg

Approaches T 41 cautiously

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7388.jpg

Boys will be boys. Full stomach or empty stomach they want to frolic with their GFs all the time. Romeo is no exception.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7390.jpg

Mr. Romeo, you may be the biggest & the strongest but an angry female is too much to handle. With a heavy stomach T 41 is in no mood to frolic. Romeo gets a mouthful.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7391.jpg

Rascala, go & cool off somewhere else

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7392.jpg

Sheepish look with tail firmly tucked between the legs..

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7397.jpg

Hey guys, what to do? Women are so difficult at times. I gave her the whole Sambhar, but still...

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7433.jpg

Facing opposite directions

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7442.jpg

T 41 gets up and moves towards the thicket

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7490.jpg

Look, she got up & went away

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7498a.jpg

I shall also follow

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7522.jpg

Now don't you guys dare snigger

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7537.jpg

"Ummaaah" - calling for T 41

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7540.jpg

No response

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7547.jpg

Aah, cool cool

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7550.jpg

What's it?

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7552.jpg

Lemme follow her

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-7555.jpg

Romeo too went into the thicket and laid down next to T 41. No way they were now going to come out. The show went on for 17 minutes. My camera didn't stop for those 17 minutes. I had my heart's fill.

A sore point that I must mention. By oversight I left behind at home my Extreme 16GB CF card. Fortunately was carrying two spare 4 GB cards. In those 17 minutes I filled up one card lost time changing cards. The need to have a second camera body was acutely felt.

We returned scouting the Lakkardah area for Machchli but there was no sign of her. Will I be able to see her when the park reopens and will she survive the monsoons?

Circled the Malik Talao and the foreigner guests were delighted to see various birds and took pictures. On the banks of Malik Talao we saw two female crocodiles digging nest to lay eggs. It was time to return.

Reached our room, ate breakfast, packed our stuff, paid the bills had a nice cool shower and left for home bidding good-bye to Guddu & his staff who took good care of us. The watch showed 1 pm. By 7:30 pm we were home.

This probably would be my last visit to any sanctuary this season. After a 3 month hiatus the roaming would start again. Thank you all for staying with me. Hope you enjoyed the narration and the pictures. Till then.....

Last edited by gd1418 : 3rd July 2012 at 01:15.
gd1418 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:56   #128
BHPian

Awesomeness GD sir ji. Terrific pictures and a befitting end to the travelogue. You have been pretty lucky with so many significant sightings of the king of the jungle.

There is one thing that breaks my heart though is to see that even the king of the jungle is an equally henpecked creature like us humans . Just too many dangs to that. Not even the poor tiger is spared from such domestic cruelty .
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:19   #129
BHPian

great pictures sirji and your narration with your personal touch....subhanallah you made a romantic story out of two tigers cooling off in water.

I missed an awesome opportunity of sighting 2 adult tigers together out in open. thanks for sharing with us.
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:54   #130
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Samarjit for the kind words. The Gods & the Big Cats have been kind to me this summer.

I totally agree with you on the domestic cruelty issue. Being a still photographer I don't know if I was able to catch the moment correctly, but in reality she actually "shouted at him"... I wish I was a videographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post

Awesomeness GD sir ji. Terrific pictures and a befitting end to the travelogue. You have been pretty lucky with so many significant sightings of the king of the jungle.

even the king of the jungle is an equally henpecked creature like us humans . Just too many dangs to that. Not even the poor tiger is spared from such domestic cruelty .
Thank you Sachin. I did not have to make a romantic story. It unfolded by itself.

The problem with you is that you never listen to me. I had suggested you to report sick with your office and stay back. Annu too could've done the same. Heat-stroke, dehydration, exhaustion, pyeroxia of unknown nature - there were lot many options.

And to top it sometimes I wonder that why do I get magnificent sightings when I am not with you? Some planetary combinations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

great pictures sirji and your narration with your personal touch....subhanallah you made a romantic story out of two tigers cooling off in water.

I missed an awesome opportunity of sighting 2 adult tigers together out in open. thanks for sharing with us.

Last edited by gd1418 : 3rd July 2012 at 11:56.
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:09   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Thank you Sachin. I did not have to make a romantic story. It unfolded by itself.

The problem with you is that you never listen to me. I had suggested you to report sick with your office and stay back. Annu too could've done the same. Heat-stroke, dehydration, exhaustion, pyeroxia of unknown nature - there were lot many options.

And to top it sometimes I wonder that why do I get magnificent sightings when I am not with you? Some planetary combinations?
Sirji, aapki sunte to hain - but kya karen - naukari pesha log hain. Boss joote maarta

Coming to sightings - ab aapko maine Sundari ki itni achhi sighting karayi. She was walking besides us and so close that you had to change lenses to goto 24~70 mm and could have stroked her if you wanted to. Now would be a better sighting than this? Tell me?
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:49   #132
BHPian

GD Sir: You are so lucky. Superb pictures also.

I had gone to Ranthambore with two of my collegues and booked a full gypsy. I did not have a sighting to cherish in mid-June. What i did not like about the park is that it is too commercialised. You can feel the hunger for tips in the eyes of the driver and guide.

Common dialogue: "Saab aap khus hai to hum bhi khus honge " (Sir, if you are happy, then we will be happy). Ridiculous. Too many layers of agents. What is the point of doing online reservation. Gypsy will report to you at their mercy. I do not know....

Any ways nice pictures Sir.
Old 3rd July 2012, 20:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Subrat and I do agree with you fully. There is a huge cartel of gypsy owners/drivers & the guides. The forest department too doesn't help with their attitude. Just half-an-hour before the park opens the zones are allotted randomly.

By paying Rs.560/- per trip you can have a guide of your choice and also can book exclusive jeep FOC by applying to the DFO. It means that you shall get the same jeep & the same guide everyday for your safaris. But I do agree about the layers & layers.

BTW, where did you stay and how many safaris did you undertake and in which zones? Wish you had indicated about your programme and we too could have coincided ours with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post

GD Sir: You are so lucky. Superb pictures also.

I had gone to Ranthambore with two of my collegues and booked a full gypsy. I did not have a sighting to cherish in mid-June. What i did not like about the park is that it is too commercialised. You can feel the hunger for tips in the eyes of the driver and guide.

Common dialogue: "Saab aap khus hai to hum bhi khus honge " (Sir, if you are happy, then we will be happy). Ridiculous. Too many layers of agents. What is the point of doing online reservation. Gypsy will report to you at their mercy. I do not know....

Any ways nice pictures Sir.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:15   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Subrat and I do agree with you fully. There is a huge cartel of gypsy owners/drivers & the guides. The forest department too doesn't help with their attitude. Just half-an-hour before the park opens the zones are allotted randomly.

You are right GD Sir. Even, you can have your desired by paying to an agent.

By paying Rs.560/- per trip you can have a guide of your choice and also can book exclusive jeep FOC by applying to the DFO. It means that you shall get the same jeep & the same guide everyday for your safaris. But I do agree about the layers & layers.

Actually, i went with one of my friend without doing any research. Now i got the feel of Ranthambore.

BTW, where did you stay and how many safaris did you undertake and in which zones? Wish you had indicated about your programme and we too could have coincided ours with you.
We stayed in Tiger Villa and did six rounds. Visited all zones except no.3. All the VIP's are creating problems. Alos, we heard that a tigress had cubs, so they are restricting gypsies but VIPs can go. Ridiculous. Nest time for sure, i will contact you.
Old 4th July 2012, 14:12   #135
BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree with you on the domestic cruelty issue. Being a still photographer I don't know if I was able to catch the moment correctly, but in reality she actually "shouted at him"... I wish I was a videographer.
Yeah poor fella. Looks like the jungle constitution is adopting feminism in a grand way . Look at this now At Ranthambore National Park, male tigers play mother - The Times of India. Adult male tigers taking care of cubs would be one sight to watch.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks