Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2011, 21:12   #106
Senior - BHPian

Chinnar to Munnar

@Backseatdriver
We used three cameras during this trip. Nikon D90, Sony P&S, Cannon P&S. Pictures could be from any of these three.

I drove on..

425 View of the forests
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-425-view-forests.jpg

426 Jellimala view point ..now closed
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-426-jellimala-view-point-closed.jpg

427 Waterfall but looks like a river (or is it vice versa ?)
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-427-waterfall-but-looks-like-river.jpg

428 Waterfall down stream..close up
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-428-waterfall-down-stream.jpg

429 Waterfall Upstream..close up
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-429-waterfall-upstream.jpg

430 Then we reached famous Thoovanam waterfall
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-430-famous-thoovanam-waterfall.jpg

431 My attempt at capturing the Thoovanam falls
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-431-another-shot-thoobanam.jpg

432 Map of Chinnar WLS
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-432-map-chinnar-wls.jpg

433 We find one more water fall.. can some one tell us the name of the place ?
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-433-one-more-waterfall-panaroma.jpg

435 A close up
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-436-waterfall-name.jpg

435 Marayur Sandlewood forest
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-434-marayur-sandle-wood-plantation.jpg

436 Sandlewood forest on either side of the road
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-435-sandlewood-either-side.jpg

437 Then we take one more break due to the view around
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-437-then-we-take-break-due-view-around.jpg

438 Beautiful Tea Gardens around (Lalu Is this the one you were mentioning?)
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-438-tea-gardens-around.jpg

439 and one more water fall .. Name ?
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-439-one-more-waterfall.jpg

440 More tea gradens and farm houses ?
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-440-more-tea-gardens-farm-houses.jpg

We moved on..

441 One more waterfall amid the fog.. Name ?
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-441-one-more-waterfall-amid-fog.jpg

442 Tree with red flowers mentioned by Lalu
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-442-trees-red-flowers-mentioend-lalu.jpg

443 Further we stopped again
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-443-we-stopped-again.jpg

444 For this View .. WoW
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-444-view..wow.jpg

445 One more waterfall, it appears tea gardens and waterfalls are interleaved
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-445-one-more-waterfall.jpg

446 More Tea Gardens
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-446-more-tea-garden.jpg

447 Truck carrying Tea leaves
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-447-truck-carrying-tea-leaves.jpg

448 Tea Gardens Everywhere
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-448-tea-gardens-everywhere.jpg

449 Then comes the fog
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-449-then-comes-fog.jpg

450 Visibility becomes poor
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-450-visibility-becomes-poor.jpg

We saw the huge crowd near the entrance to Eravikulam Santury. As it was already 5:45 PM, we decided to skip visiting the santury.

451 Then the night falls and the road hoggers take to the streets
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-451-then-night-falls-road-hoggers-dominate-road.jpg

We reached Munnar by 6:30 PM. Our beloved Travel Agent from Pallakad had given one telephone number to call once we reached Munnar. So we called.

The guy on the phone told that his place is some 25 KMs from Munnar. Name of his place is Chinnakanal. and his hotel is near Club Mahindra. We asked him whether we should have our dinner in munnar itself or not. He categorically told that Buffet Dinner would be there in the resturant.

So we again asked couple of people the route for Chinnakanal. We also re-fueled at Munnar as fuel was low. After some enquiries we again started climbing what appeared to be a very narrow ghat. On route it was very thick fog, we drove very slowly. Soon there was what appeared to be a traffic queue. After some 20+ minutes we could cross a very narrow stretch of road between rock boulders (next day we learnt that that place is called Lock Heart GAP).

After few more enquiries we could take left turn to Club Mahindra. We called the guy again and with his help we could reach the Hotel by 8 PM.

What followed was another example of how if one individual would not have been there, then how a customer would have got a bad Experience.
Reception was not recognising the Travel agent initially, rooms were good(compared to the promise) nothing extra ordinary, buffet dinner was not there, resturant was closed, secure parking was already full etc etc resulting in a huge dis-appointment.

Soon the "Extra Ordinary Guy" appeared on the scene. He quickly organized everything for us, Parking area for the car, Special Hot Tea, Hot meal, Extra Beds/Pillows, Soups for the kids. Special Room Service for the dinner and a X-mas cake.

We settled into the rooms, took hot water shower which was very refreshing in the cold weather, followed by special (very good and tasty north indian. chinese combo food) dinner on the terrace.

By the time dinner was over, energy was back, hope was back, feel good factor was getting built up.

Soon we hit the bed.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 10th January 2011 at 21:24.
Old 10th January 2011, 22:27   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chinnar to Munnar

Star here are some pictures of Thoovanam Falls. Hope you dont mind

The Trek is an enduring 2 hours down here. I will call it a moderate trek for adults, and a difficult one for the kids. My PPGs were real tired by the two hour trekk. But the result was amazing.

Thoovanam Falls
Name:  _DSC42351.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  303.5 KB

Wifey checking the waterfalls up close
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-_dsc41841.jpg

PPGs enjoying the nature
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-_dsc42031.jpg

This says it all
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-_dsc42231.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
We find one more water fall.. can some one tell us the name of the place ?
That is Karimutty Falls

Quote:
438 Beautiful Tea Gardens around (Lalu Is this the one you were mentioning?)
This one
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-_dsc4286p1.jpg

Quote:
442 Tree with red flowers mentioned by Lalu
Yes. Yes.
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-_dsc42821.jpg

If I get some time, I shall update them in my Munnar log http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ur-munnar.html
Old 10th January 2011, 22:32   #108
Senior - BHPian

Route Map and Road conditions from Sethumadai to Chinnakanal

452 Route map : Sethumadai to Chinnakanal
Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Country-452-route-map-sethumadaichinnakanal1.jpg

I just now saw that this thread has been rated by 4 people, averaging 4.25 (Ratings of 5, 5, 4, 3).

I would like to thank the 4 kind hearted people who have not just read this thread, but also took special efforts to rate the same.

@Laluks
Thanks Lalu for those wonderful water fall pictures. May be next time when we go to munnar, we would do this Thoovanam Falls trek. This time most of the occupants (especially kids) of the car were sleeping on route.

The Tea Gardens and the RED flowered Tree picture posted by you looks beautiful. Probably the post rain period and Lalu photography effect. It shows I have a long long way to go.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 10th January 2011 at 22:37.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:28   #109
Team-BHP Support

Re: Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Count

Star even I had the same issue of driving from Munnar to Chinnakanal, where my hotel was. Late night, zero visibility and traffic queue and super-heavy fog!
Old 11th January 2011, 08:46   #110
BHPian

Re: Story of a Vacation II : A page out of Jungle Book & experiencing God's Own Count

Thoovanam Falls and the tea gardens are jus beautiful...
Old 11th January 2011, 11:08   #111
BHPian

Wow, Beautiful Fog. Love driving in those conditions. We had the same issue when we drove to Top Slip. We didnt even realise that we had reached Top Slip and would have passed through If I had not been there earlier

@Star, Great Pictures mate. Have to do Munnar trip sometime soon, lots of places pending.. hehe
Old 11th January 2011, 13:49   #112
BHPian

Calls for 5-Star rating!

We had done the Munnar-Alwaye trip via Chinnar-Udumelpet-Palakkad-Thrissur in an open MM540 during our college days. The long way around by some crack-heads!

It was fun all the way, for us that was the primary motive.
Old 11th January 2011, 14:55   #113
BHPian

@star - beutiful log. could not rate anywhere below 5. Captions and narrations make me feel I was with you as well. Thanks for taking me there.

@lalu - what photos you've got. Simply mind boggling. I could not read your log earlier but now you are forcing me to read it.
Old 11th January 2011, 15:03   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
@lalu - what photos you've got. Simply mind boggling. I could not read your log earlier but now you are forcing me to read it.
Thanks advaitlele
I have not yet written about the Nov 2010 Munnar trip. Hence thinking of updating the old log with the photos alone. But I have not yet done that too.

But the best part is elusive Starvegabond is now famous

Last edited by laluks : 11th January 2011 at 15:05.
Old 11th January 2011, 15:07   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Thanks advaitlele
I have not yet written about the Nov 2010 Munnar trip. Hence thinking of updating the old log with the photos alone. But I have not yet done that too.

But the best part is elusive Starvegabond is now famous
Thats what happens if you take up a trip before finishing the Tlog of the previous

Now, Get some vacations. Reason - Writing and completing the TL

@Star, For sure you are Mega Star. Nice captures.
Old 11th January 2011, 15:11   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Now, Get some vacations. Reason - Writing and completing the TL

@Star, For sure you are Mega Star. Nice captures.
I will join your Rajasthan trip, and while you drive I'll update the logs

Rev. Fr. Kanth reminds me of Sherlock Homes in his most exclusive appearance on TBHP
Old 11th January 2011, 15:38   #117
Senior - BHPian

This travelogue and Lalu's travelogue have got me thinking. I need around 10 days of vacation. Lalu and Star, what is the best season to visit these places?

Star, you have a great way of taking people through the places you have been to. And earning stars that way
Old 11th January 2011, 16:03   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Lalu and Star, what is the best season to visit these places?
I had travelled on Onam Holidays in Kerala. Though most places had the crowd, they never intruded our privacy nor slowed us down on the roads. Also I felt most tourists kept away from Kerala and it was mostly home coming crowd.

I feel the same about Christmas season too. May be some tourists, let us hear from Star.

The best time as I feel is just after the rains in Kerala. You can either go in August or after the rains in October.

As regards to Parambikulam, if you are in search of wild life sighting then Summer (near water holes) and December (mating season) are the bestas told to me by the guides. But in Summer they might close down to prevent forest fire, and also Kerala will not be so great weather wise.

My suggestion is August to December avoiding the rainy stretch. But Kerala in the rains is another beauty as I have discovered last time

Last edited by laluks : 11th January 2011 at 16:04.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:27   #119
Senior - BHPian

Oof!!! this is quite an exhausting travelogue you have compiled Star. I really appreciate the effort you have put in for this. You pictures made me remember my trip to Parambikulam. Looks like you guys had a great time. Enjoy!!!
Old 11th January 2011, 19:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

So many responses, so many ratings.
Thanks guys,

as a number man, i was tempted to do some analysis of the ratings
i could gather following conclusion

Rating of yesterday 4 votes Avg 4.25 total score 17 Individaul ratings are 5, 5, 4, 3

Ratings of today 13 votes, Avg 4.46 total score 58 Individual ratings are 5, 5, 4, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 1

This analysis tells me that some one is really unhappy with this travelogue. Again all this is trivia.

The whole purpose of this writing is for rememering some good moments. The target audience for this writing is only those 3 kids who integral part of our journey (called life) who might read this few years from now and we can all have some good laugh about it, hopefully. I just realized that they could still read my story off the forum as well.

Thanks everyone who were part of this so-called Good Times. Today is the last day of my writing season on this forum.

From tomorrow i hope to get busy for couple of months atleast. Who knows after that, Insha-allah.

God bless all of you.

Regards.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 11th January 2011 at 19:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks