Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 09:33   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Allahabad – Varanasi – Sasaram – Aurangabad – Barhi – Dumri – Bardhaman – Calcutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Stage 3

Allahabad – Varanasi – Sasaram – Aurangabad – Barhi – Dumri – Dhanbad – Durgapur – Bardhaman – Calcutta

Start Time – 0720hrs 1st Dec, Allahabad
Stop Time – 2030hrs 1st Dec, Calcutta
Distance – 840kms
I do not think you have crossed Dhanbad town en-route. It must be Gobindpur on NH2 Grand-Trunk Road. Dhanbad town is 15 Kms from Gobindpur.

You have crossed very near from my native. Just 40 Kms away from Dumri. Let me tell you significance of Dumri. It is biggest pilgrimage of Jains in world. More information here Shikharji - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While on road near Dumri you must have seen a big hill towards your left. That is the highest peak of Bihar-Jharkand called Parasnath Hill. On the foothill of that hill there is pilgrimage for Jains.
Old 15th December 2010, 09:35   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Allahabad – Varanasi – Sasaram – Aurangabad – Barhi – Dumri – Bardhaman – Calcutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I do not think you have crossed Dhanbad town en-route. It must be Gobindpur on NH2 Grand-Trunk Road. Dhanbad town is 15 Kms from Gobindpur.
Yes, Gobindpur is considered as the Dhanbad bypass point. Dhanbad is only 10 kms from here.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:57   #93
Team-BHP Support

Re: Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!

Unni, thanks for putting up the entire report. Definitely a source of inspiration for many.

So, what's next on your radar?
Old 15th December 2010, 16:14   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Wonderful read Unni, had read the initial posts and found time today to go through the remaining journey.
The sights of accidents especially with casualties will unnerve anyone, shows how fragile human life is.
Am very glad that you never pushed it and shared driving, a key to a successful journey. Congrats once again.

+100 to that .
Thank you Hari. These are some of the basics, but some that people tend to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
+100 on each points made, especially when it comes to unforeseen circumstances.

Besides the great and ever helpful HVK on 4 wheels, there is a great man whom I admire on two-wheels and for someone who wants to take an inspiration, I am putting up a link. (as helpful & knowledgeable on 2 wheels)

Fastest man on GQ, on a motorcycle - Motoroids Forums
Thanks for the link. Never knew about the doc. Doing something like this on 2 wheels needs so much more will power!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Unni, I have been reading this for a while. Only now responding. Great drive note.

And you are right, the success or failure of such lies more on the co-passengers too.

And so, whats next?
Thanks Mahesh. Hope this rekindled some memories of the drive you guys had.

What next has been running through my mind for a while now. A Kanyakumari - Kashmir maybe. Maybe Ladakh, nothing finalised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Unni, thanks for putting up the entire report. Definitely a source of inspiration for many.

So, what's next on your radar?
Hope you too get inspired! Nothing solid planned yet. There are a few ideas floating around!!
Old 15th December 2010, 17:27   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mahesh. Hope this rekindled some memories of the drive you guys had.

What next has been running through my mind for a while now. A Kanyakumari - Kashmir maybe. Maybe Ladakh, nothing finalised.
Certainly. Was happily thinking of those days in the Safari & Scorpio. Hmmm, its been exactly 2 yrs sir. Time flies...
Old 15th December 2010, 22:04   #96
BHPian

Congratulations Unni & JK for completing this fantastic trip and thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

It was great to read this thread - the different places, incidents, anxiety, interacting with different people and finally the joy of achieving this feet.

Wish one day after 20-25K kms of more driving experience shall be able to drive around India - GQ like you guys!

@hvkumar
Sir, have seen many of your posts in the travelogue section, you are fantastic, I guess you love India and its different places more than anything and this takes you to each and every corner of India by road!

Going through various threads in this section - you seem to be more reliable than gps/Google map in many of our h/ws

Last edited by AvonA7 : 15th December 2010 at 22:08. Reason: spelling
Old 16th December 2010, 08:10   #97
Senior - BHPian

Unni,

Following your GQ escapade, another bhpian has completed the GQ drive but in 13 days. I guess this GQ virus thing is spreading more with the Bangaloreans and we know who started it all.

Have you finished your travelogue? I thought I would read more of your escapades. Your thread is one more reason why I'm addicetd to T-BHP.
Old 16th December 2010, 18:09   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Congratulations Unni & JK for completing this fantastic trip and thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

It was great to read this thread - the different places, incidents, anxiety, interacting with different people and finally the joy of achieving this feet.

Wish one day after 20-25K kms of more driving experience shall be able to drive around India - GQ like you guys!
Thanks Avon. It is a must do for every driving enthusiast. The experience is really rich, and teaches you a lot about yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Unni,

Following your GQ escapade, another bhpian has completed the GQ drive but in 13 days. I guess this GQ virus thing is spreading more with the Bangaloreans and we know who started it all.

Have you finished your travelogue? I thought I would read more of your escapades. Your thread is one more reason why I'm addicetd to T-BHP.
It was not me though. The virus was created by HVK/Hrag group. I think they were the first ones on TBHP to do this.
Roamingrao did the trip before me. It is almost 2 months now since he went on the trip with his family.

Yes, my narration is over!! If there are questions or details that some one needs, then I can post them. Thank you for following the thread closely.
Old 16th December 2010, 23:12   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Unni, you have just returned from a dream drive! Kudos to you and JK plus HVK for the planning. That indeed is the hardest part, planning extensively so there are no real surprises en route. Respect for HVK has increased many folds over the years!

Wish to do this someday all by myself!
Old 16th December 2010, 23:50   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
@hvkumar
Sir, have seen many of your posts in the travelogue section, you are fantastic, I guess you love India and its different places more than anything and this takes you to each and every corner of India by road!

Going through various threads in this section - you seem to be more reliable than gps/Google map in many of our h/ws
Thanks a great deal!
India has lots to offer the tourist and can satisfy the most insatiable!
And with road & tourism infrastructure improving by leaps and bounds, travelling by road has never been easier.
The GQ is a prime example how driving conditions can transform so dramatically. It is almost like a Ring Road for the country!
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2010, 02:00   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ring Road for the country!
I like it
Old 18th December 2010, 14:14   #102
BHPian

Congrats on the safe drive.

With HVK incorporated in the plans nothing can probably go wrong. I had the privilege of meeting him in Thane last year during my Ottapalam - Agra - Ottapalam drive.
Old 20th December 2010, 13:35   #103
BHPian

Where are Kolkata to Bengaluru pics? :(
Old 20th December 2010, 16:21   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Unni, you have just returned from a dream drive! Kudos to you and JK plus HVK for the planning. That indeed is the hardest part, planning extensively so there are no real surprises en route. Respect for HVK has increased many folds over the years!

Wish to do this someday all by myself!
Thanks Dry Ice! We had the advantage of having a couple of people do the route before us. The logs and guidance from them played an integral part in helping us do this without any major glitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Congrats on the safe drive.

With HVK incorporated in the plans nothing can probably go wrong. I had the privilege of meeting him in Thane last year during my Ottapalam - Agra - Ottapalam drive.
Thanks Skyline. Ottapalam to Agra and back!! Thats some drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Where are Kolkata to Bengaluru pics? :(
They are in two sections:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2170780

and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2173370
Old 21st December 2010, 16:04   #105
BHPian

Quote:
And in a while I woke up to some bright light shining on my face! It was the police. They wanted to know why I was parked by the side etc etc. As luck would’ve it, they were not looking at extorting. Just told us to go park in a dhaba or petrol pump and sleep!

Well, with the sleep gone, we started on the drive towards Udaipur by about 0400hrs. The roads in GJ are awesome. 90% of truckers and over-night bus drivers were well mannered, moving to the left when you honk or flash light. One of the best stretches that I’ve ever driven through.
Welcome to Gujarat. Hope you liked driving through the state, enjoyed the meals and also the stay.

Wish you can visit Gujarat once again to explore nature's beauty and other visuals that the state has to offer.

And last but not the least - 3 cheers to your India trip. You are a true T-BHPian.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks