Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 14:18   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!

Holy Moly, I was offline last week & catching up on the forum this afternoon when I chanced upon this masterpiece! Well done Unni, way to go. You write very well & must treat us to a few more travelogues when you do your countless excursions!

That encounter with the ACE was one hell of a narrow shave, Thank God you guys came out unscathed!

As for sneaking through Gurgaon & Delhi in the wee hours of the morning without even informing, well, I'll let it go this time around considering that you were on a tight schedule but don't make a habit of it, do you hear!!!

Last edited by suman : 14th December 2010 at 14:19.
Old 14th December 2010, 14:47   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Holy Moly, I was offline last week & catching up on the forum this afternoon when I chanced upon this masterpiece! Well done Unni, way to go. You write very well & must treat us to a few more travelogues when you do your countless excursions!

That encounter with the ACE was one hell of a narrow shave, Thank God you guys came out unscathed!

As for sneaking through Gurgaon & Delhi in the wee hours of the morning without even informing, well, I'll let it go this time around considering that you were on a tight schedule but don't make a habit of it, do you hear!!!
Thanks SumanDa. I'm wary of all ACEs now a days!!

My bad. This time around I missed out on meeting people. But, there will be a next time for sure, and will ensure that we meet. A drive in the Safari is pending!!

Few had asked me how I managed to keep sleep at bay. Answer is pretty simple; I didn’t manage to keep sleep at bay! If it is a short drive, say about 600-700kms, then yes, you can stop, stretch, have tea etc etc to keep sleep away. But, when you are on a 6000km drive, trying to keep sleep away is a problem. You will end up getting tired, faster. Key is to listen to you body’s need. Do not try and be super man or HVK!!! Jokes apart, how we managed was simple enough.

We had agreed that no distance or destination was worth the risk of sleep-driving. If I was driving, and felt sleepy, I would proactively say so. We didn’t, even for one instance, think let us just keep going for a few more kms, let’s cover as much as possible even though I’m sleepy. I would hand over driving to JK, and if he too was tired or sleepy, we simply parked the car and slept. An hour or two can do wonders. Also, we didn’t do consecutive days with no sleep. For example, we did Bangalore – Udaipur in one go with a 2hour sleep break near Vadodara. But, took a room at Udaipur and slept well, before our drive through Delhi to Allahabad. Rest is very important.

Another point which I think is key to anyone undertaking this trip is to find one or more people for company. Try to do a small trip as a group to find out compatibility, also share driving to see if you like the way the others drive. The whole trip can end up being a horror if you are not at ease with your travel mates! I had it easy, JK and I grew up together, and we know each other pretty well. I consider him better at the wheel than me. Also, there should be a sense of openness. Else, comments and suggestions may not be taken as required to. Leave your ego at home! The small trip I told about can help sort some things out.

Chalk out how expenses will be shared. Always discuss what all will be covered. For example, if there is an accident will it be shared among all or just the one who was driving? We are not looking for what is fair in the general sense; it is about how you as a group want to have it.

Last but not the least, try and plan well in advance. Have a detailed print out of the route, and contact HVK!!
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2010, 14:57   #78
Senior - BHPian

BTW, I managed to keep a log book during the Bangalore-Bombay sector when I was a passenger in Unni's car. The log book is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: xls BlrBom-Unni-Nov2010.xls (41.5 KB, 767 views)
Old 14th December 2010, 15:19   #79
BHPian

Came into this thread just now and oh boy I got soo much thrilled. Thats a real adventure to remember for the rest of your life. Just coming out of the comfort zone and heading to roads unknown just for the sheer pleasure of driving. Hats off to you guys and all the best wishes for your future endeavors.
Old 14th December 2010, 15:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
BTW, I managed to keep a log book during the Bangalore-Bombay sector when I was a passenger in Unni's car. The log book is attached.
Wow this is fantastic, how do you manage to keep a log with such details? Do you use some gizmo or is it with just the gps?
Old 14th December 2010, 15:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

read the entire travelogue now. Great going!!! I too want to do something like this one day.

PS: Liked the assistant pilot lettering on the tempo :-)
Old 14th December 2010, 17:50   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Came into this thread just now and oh boy I got soo much thrilled. Thats a real adventure to remember for the rest of your life. Just coming out of the comfort zone and heading to roads unknown just for the sheer pleasure of driving. Hats off to you guys and all the best wishes for your future endeavors.
Thanks Arun! Like you said, it was about coming out of the comfort zone. Unknown places, unknown language

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Wow this is fantastic, how do you manage to keep a log with such details? Do you use some gizmo or is it with just the gps?
I'm sure he has been asked this question a hundred times before as well. He does use a Garmin GPS to mark way points. Well, its better left to him to explain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
read the entire travelogue now. Great going!!! I too want to do something like this one day.

PS: Liked the assistant pilot lettering on the tempo :-)
Thanks Arvind. It is doable, just some planning and time on your hands.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:27   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
hey I did not understand the GPS column, what does that number signify?
Old 14th December 2010, 20:59   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Waypoint labels I would guess.

@HVK. You should reset your GPS before start of any trip. You can always postprocess the WP list to append/ prefix something meaningful and unique to the WP labels.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th December 2010, 21:34   #85
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful read Unni, had read the initial posts and found time today to go through the remaining journey.
The sights of accidents especially with casualties will unnerve anyone, shows how fragile human life is.
Am very glad that you never pushed it and shared driving, a key to a successful journey. Congrats once again.

Quote:
Another point which I think is key to anyone undertaking this trip is to find one or more people for company. Try to do a small trip as a group to find out compatibility, also share driving to see if you like the way the others drive. The whole trip can end up being a horror if you are not at ease with your travel mates! I had it easy, JK and I grew up together, and we know each other pretty well. I consider him better at the wheel than me. Also, there should be a sense of openness. Else, comments and suggestions may not be taken as required to. Leave your ego at home! The small trip I told about can help sort some things out.
+100 to that .
Old 14th December 2010, 23:57   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Anil, the relevant number in the GPS column corresponds with the waypoint in the GPS device. I used it to catalogue my GPS tracks.
Old 14th December 2010, 23:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
@HVK. You should reset your GPS before start of any trip. You can always postprocess the WP list to append/ prefix something meaningful and unique to the WP labels.

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks, Sutripta, thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, I should do that, it makes things much more easier and in any case, I copy and paste points from other files to consolidate specific sectors.
Old 15th December 2010, 07:46   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Few had asked me how I managed to keep sleep at bay. Answer is pretty simple; I didn’t manage to keep sleep at bay! If it is a short drive, say about 600-700kms, then yes, you can stop, stretch, have tea etc etc to keep sleep away. But, when you are on a 6000km drive, trying to keep sleep away is a problem. You will end up getting tired, faster. Key is to listen to you body’s need. Do not try and be super man or HVK!!! Jokes apart, how we managed was simple enough.

We had agreed that no distance or destination was worth the risk of sleep-driving. If I was driving, and felt sleepy, I would proactively say so. We didn’t, even for one instance, think let us just keep going for a few more kms, let’s cover as much as possible even though I’m sleepy. I would hand over driving to JK, and if he too was tired or sleepy, we simply parked the car and slept. An hour or two can do wonders. Also, we didn’t do consecutive days with no sleep. For example, we did Bangalore – Udaipur in one go with a 2hour sleep break near Vadodara. But, took a room at Udaipur and slept well, before our drive through Delhi to Allahabad. Rest is very important.

Chalk out how expenses will be shared. Always discuss what all will be covered. For example, if there is an accident will it be shared among all or just the one who was driving? We are not looking for what is fair in the general sense; it is about how you as a group want to have it.

Last but not the least, try and plan well in advance. Have a detailed print out of the route, and contact HVK!!
+100 on each points made, especially when it comes to unforeseen circumstances.

Besides the great and ever helpful HVK on 4 wheels, there is a great man whom I admire on two-wheels and for someone who wants to take an inspiration, I am putting up a link. (as helpful & knowledgeable on 2 wheels)

Fastest man on GQ, on a motorcycle - Motoroids Forums

@HVK--Have you both met Sir?

Last edited by Sheel : 15th December 2010 at 07:47.
Old 15th December 2010, 07:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Unni, I have been reading this for a while. Only now responding. Great drive note.

And you are right, the success or failure of such lies more on the co-passengers too.

And so, whats next?
Old 15th December 2010, 09:10   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
No, Sheel, I have not met Dr Gupta, heard about him a lot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks