Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 23:08   #31

Re: First People to drive through Congo.

Hi,

Just saw this thread. I have lived in Uganda on a posting and have has the opportunity to drive thru the lenght and breadth of the Congo as well as Rwanda, Burundi. For my wife and I this was a honeymoon posting. The girl enjoyed her first two years in Africa. Including being shot at by rebels in the Rwenzori mountains in Fort Portal and the firing back by my gunmen. It is fun. This was in 1994-96. A journey of 20KM would at times take us up to 1 full day. I used to have a Discovery then and my gun men would use 2 HiLux pick ups. Visa was a USD 50 bill payable to who ever you see - both the militia and the rebels. Mostly mercenaries. We used to travel with water, live chickens for eggs and meat and Posho (Ground maize meal). It was fun and great memories. Srinath
srinath1965 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 13:56   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath1965 View Post
Visa was a USD 50 bill payable to who ever you see - both the militia and the rebels. Mostly mercenaries. We used to travel with water, live chickens for eggs and meat and Posho (Ground maize meal). It was fun and great memories. Srinath
Holy Mackerel!!!

We need a better account from you on your trip dude. And pictures. Please, please.
Old 24th August 2011, 14:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath1965 View Post
Hi,

Just saw this thread. I have lived in Uganda on a posting and have has the opportunity to drive thru the lenght and breadth of the Congo as well as Rwanda, Burundi. For my wife and I this was a honeymoon posting. The girl enjoyed her first two years in Africa. Including being shot at by rebels in the Rwenzori mountains in Fort Portal and the firing back by my gunmen. It is fun. This was in 1994-96. A journey of 20KM would at times take us up to 1 full day. I used to have a Discovery then and my gun men would use 2 HiLux pick ups. Visa was a USD 50 bill payable to who ever you see - both the militia and the rebels. Mostly mercenaries. We used to travel with water, live chickens for eggs and meat and Posho (Ground maize meal). It was fun and great memories. Srinath
Insane man !! Why don't you write your experience here, am sure it will be an instant hit and an eye opener to a lot of us.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 17:25   #34

Thanks for your comments gentlemen, I will certainly write about all my multiple trips across Africa as well as my experiences as a driver for Team Subaru and Team Nissan in the Safari Rally and the Equatorial Raid. It will be a pleasure also need to trace out the old photos.
srinath1965 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks