Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2010, 15:28   #16
BHPian

^I agree. I love snakes too but I'm not very good at identifying them. Once someone told me that there was a rescued baby python in the neighborhood. Having handled pythons before I went and touched the snake in an attempt to pick it up. Somehow there was a very eerie feeling and I felt that I shold let go of the snake immediately. So I left it alone. The next day I was told that it wasn't a python but a russel's viper!! That was a real close one. I still curse myself for being so stupid.
Old 21st September 2010, 17:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Awesome pictures Amit. How far did you trek? You seem to have forgotten to post pics of the leeches. Monsoons are the best time enjoy the Western Ghats though.

I think you are talking about the Shield Tail. AFAIK, there is nothing called the 'Silt Tail'.

I don't think people will blindly handle snakes. They perceive all snakes to be venomous and the first thing they reach for, after seeing a snake, is a stick or stone.

Thanks Addyhemmige. The place is full of leeches to. But we saw many of them near waterfall and on the way back too. But heavy rains did not allow me to use my camera.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:21   #18
BHPian

those are some real good set of pics... Was going thru your profile after the Kaas meet and landed up here. We didn't had much interaction at meet but I do remember calling you "see ya buddy" while leaving. Wish to meet you again.
Old 28th September 2010, 17:32   #19
BHPian

>>> Terrific pics Amit. Expect more
Old 28th September 2010, 17:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Amit, its pictures are just amazing and the adventure is evident in each of them. Especially the one in which you were holding the snake, i felt a quick freeze in my hands .
Old 28th September 2010, 19:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pictures Amit. I really like that waterfall.

BTW, where is this place located? which state, nearest town, how to go? Can you please describe in details. Sorry i am hearing this place for the first time.

-Ravi
Old 28th September 2010, 20:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
those are some real good set of pics... Was going thru your profile after the Kaas meet and landed up here. We didn't had much interaction at meet but I do remember calling you "see ya buddy" while leaving. Wish to meet you again.
Same here abhi. I wish we had more time.Nevertheless, I look forward to meet you again.
Old 28th September 2010, 20:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful pictures of the Flora and Fauna. The snakes especially were beautiful. Looks like you guys found a new place other than the close Mahableashwar and Panchgani.
Old 28th September 2010, 20:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Lovely pictures Amit. I really like that waterfall.

BTW, where is this place located? which state, nearest town, how to go? Can you please describe in details. Sorry i am hearing this place for the first time.

-Ravi
Thanks Ravi. The place is just after the kaas,near Satara. See more about kaas;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...s-pg-27-a.html

We had done 12 kms long hike to reach to the waterfall. of course the intent was to enjoy the nature in proximity but the place is reachable by vehicle to a certain extent. After that its a walk of about 90 minutes. There are twin waterfalls and would be good experience during monsoon. Do let me know if you wish to visit. I would be happy to guide you.
Old 28th September 2010, 20:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Beautiful pictures of the Flora and Fauna. The snakes especially were beautiful. Looks like you guys found a new place other than the close Mahableashwar and Panchgani.

Thanks Parvez.In fact the nearby place is being developed as new mahabaleshwar. Soon all people will discover it.
Old 29th September 2010, 15:42   #26
BHPian

Lovely snaps Amit and an interesting travelogue. For my information, which waterfall is pictured? Doesn't look like Thoseghar. Was it another waterfall on the way, which the locals would most probably call "Dhabdhaba" or does it have a name? The waters at the base of the falls, sure look inviting! Did you manage a swim?
Old 30th September 2010, 11:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Lovely snaps Amit and an interesting travelogue. For my information, which waterfall is pictured? Doesn't look like Thoseghar. Was it another waterfall on the way, which the locals would most probably call "Dhabdhaba" or does it have a name? The waters at the base of the falls, sure look inviting! Did you manage a swim?
@BolBolereo: Thanks sir. It was pleasure meeting you at the meet. This is waterfall or Dhabdhaba by name kelawali. There are in fact twin waterfalls Sandavali and kelwali. Its just ahead of the kaas pleataeu.

Though water surely looks inviting we didnt dare to get into it. Its a riskier thing and with number of leeches crawling around i did not wanted to take any chances.
Old 30th September 2010, 11:49   #28
BHPian

Hi Amit,
Nice photos. Do we get to see some more of the vibrant green fields and wildlife and waterfalls in your trek amongst the Sahyadris ?
By the way you seem to be trained to handle snakes. Are you a Sarpa Mitra or something ? Your photos of the dead snake remind of an incidence in my office. Saw a couple of crows going berserk over the lawn. When I went closer to inspect saw a baby cobra. It was small but raised its hood. A security guard in our office had seen this and came with a stick. After some persuasion he manage to lure the snack in a sack and later released it close to the river where there was a lot of shrubs. No photos though but it was scary.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Hi Amit,
Nice photos. Do we get to see some more of the vibrant green fields and wildlife and waterfalls in your trek amongst the Sahyadris ?
By the way you seem to be trained to handle snakes. Are you a Sarpa Mitra or something ? Your photos of the dead snake remind of an incidence in my office. Saw a couple of crows going berserk over the lawn. When I went closer to inspect saw a baby cobra. It was small but raised its hood. A security guard in our office had seen this and came with a stick. After some persuasion he manage to lure the snack in a sack and later released it close to the river where there was a lot of shrubs. No photos though but it was scary.
@ambivalent: Thanks. I have done many treks in Sahyadris unfortunately wasnt knowing about Team BHP as such at that time. So not many travelogues from my side. Anyways watch this space I would try to add some more.
And I am just learning to handle snakes that too non poisonous..

I guess you missed Kaas meet. Lets catch up with all fellow Pune BHPians for a small tapri meet sometimes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks