Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 23:09   #1
BHPian

God's own state - Wayanad

Background:

We had been waiting to go to Kerala sometime but kept postponing due to some or the other reason. A colleague of mine visited Wayanad in second week of August and showed me the photos. I was just out of words seeing the atmosphere there and decided to head to Wayanad the next weekend.

Planning:

I had only 3 days before the trip for booking the accommodation. Checked with few resorts but all were running full on the weekend of 21st-22nd. So I moved to hotels; Green Gates looked like a decent hotel in Kalpetta with good reviews on internet as well as here on Team-BHP. Checked with them and booked a deluxe room for 2K per night for two nights (plan was to leave Bangalore Friday morning and come back Sunday evening). More on the hotel later.

Thursday evening, filled up petrol from Shell and got the tire pressure, engine oil and coolant level checked. Got the car washed from my car wash guy and kept all the things ready to start at 5 AM the next morning.

Day 1:

As usual, we were running half n hour late for the departure (not bad at all by my standards though). Started from Whitefield at 5.35 AM towards Kalpetta, Wayanad. The route I took was -

Whitefield -> Mysore Road -> Mandya -> Mysore -> Bandipur -> Nanjangud -> Gundlupet -> Sultan Bathery -> Kalpetta.

There are some really beautiful fields of water-melon, marigolds (Genda in hindi) and bajra (probably) plantations just before Bandipur after Gundlupet.

My Golu shining bright.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_46001.jpg

Bajra plantation.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4587.jpg

Marigolds plantation.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4593.jpg

Bajra plantation.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4610.jpg

The drive through the Bandipur national park and Muthanga wildlife sanctuary is amazing. A thick Jungle on both sides of roads and a slow drizzle just made it so much relaxing. There are lot of check-posts once you enter Kerala don't know why. Reached the hotel at 12 noon - total 6 and half hours for a distance of 300 KMs with lot of breaks for breakfast, photography etc.

Plan for the day was to have some rest in the hotel and then go to some place in the evening (had jolted down the list of places to visit but had no particular plan in mind). Checked with the hotel travel desk for nearby places and decided to visit Banasura Sagar Dam 22 KMs away from the hotel. One has to go through the Kalpetta town and take a right turn at a junction near Chemmanur Jewelers to reach Banasura Sagar Dam. There are enough sign boards in English from there on till the dam.

Golu standing in hotel parking.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4728.jpg

The decision to visit the dame in the evening turned out to be a great one as the weather there was amazing. The dam is around a KM walk away from the parking place. The dam is called earth dam as it is made from natural things (mud, sand, rocks etc) only. It is really a huge dam with the wall about 1 KM long. The entire dam is surrounded by mountains and there are quite a few islands also inside the dam. Once you walk through to the end of the wall, you see a small ticket window for boating. They have pedal boat and a speed boat. The prices are reasonable at Rs 50/- for pedal boat and Rs 300/- for speed boat which can accommodate 5 adults. We were only two of us and hired the speed boat for 300/-. That was the most exciting experience of the entire trip. The boat does go fast on the water and the strong wind that day made it feel even faster. After boating, stayed there for another half n hour and then came back to hotel.

The forest on this side of the dam.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4638.jpg

God's own state - Wayanad-100_4655.jpg

Mountains surrounding the dam.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4669.jpg

God's own state - Wayanad-100_4686.jpg

God's own state - Wayanad-100_4688.jpg

Full view of the lake created because of the dam.
God's own state - Wayanad-pano.jpg

The photos here don't do any justice to the mesmerizing view that we saw on that day.

Day 2: Continued...

Last edited by Gandhi : 25th August 2010 at 23:16.
Old 25th August 2010, 23:46   #2
BHPian

Wow!! the pictures are beatiful. Liked the last pic of the lake in panorama. I think you have visited Wayanad at the right time. Nice pics of the Ritz too...
Old 26th August 2010, 00:32   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Actually the photos do full justice. Way to go. Waiting for more pics.
Old 26th August 2010, 06:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

Nice snaps..
So looks like it was indeed XH_Vee who was following you in his UVA.

He said he was following a black Ritz!
Old 26th August 2010, 06:30   #5
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Nice photos Gandhi. Wayanad is in my radar too. i am hooked to the log. Mountain shots were very beautiful.
Old 26th August 2010, 08:12   #6
BHPian

Nice pics.. bring them on!!
Old 26th August 2010, 09:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

The drive through the Bandipur national park and Muthanga wildlife sanctuary is amazing. A thick Jungle on both sides of roads and a slow drizzle just made it so much relaxing.
The drive through Bandipur national part is very beautiful indeed. It feels as though one has entered a totally different world, i.e. as long as people don't honk while driving through .
Old 26th August 2010, 10:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Wow!! the pictures are beatiful. Liked the last pic of the lake in panorama. I think you have visited Wayanad at the right time. Nice pics of the Ritz too...
Thanks DD. You are one of the inspirations to put down the trip experience as the travelogue. Yes the atmosphere was perfect the time we visited Wayanad. It didn't rain when we were sightseeing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Actually the photos do full justice. Way to go. Waiting for more pics.
Glad you liked the pictures MX6. Rest of the travelogue shall be up tonight once I get back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice snaps..
So looks like it was indeed XH_Vee who was following you in his UVA.

He said he was following a black Ritz!
Yeah I think so. The moment I saw his travelogue, I realized that I had noticed these two cars at Pookote lake. We could have met each other if we knew both were BHPians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Nice photos Gandhi. Wayanad is in my radar too. i am hooked to the log. Mountain shots were very beautiful.
Take it off your radar dude. This is the perfect time to visit god's own state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Nice pics.. bring them on!!
Thanks Mohsin. Rest of the travelogue should be up by tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
The drive through Bandipur national part is very beautiful indeed. It feels as though one has entered a totally different world, i.e. as long as people don't honk while driving through .
Rightly said Kaushik. The trucks, milk vans and the cabbies don't allow us to enjoy that experience to the fullest.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:32   #9
BHPian

Day 2: Soochipara Falls, Pookote Lake and Lakkidi View Point

(WARNING - This post is full of photos and videos, you still have a chance to click the back button and save some bandwidth )

Day 2 (Saturday, 21st Aug) starts at 8 AM. Both of us get ready and have breakfast at the hotel itself. Again check with the hotel travel desk to plan for the day and decide to head to Soochipara Falls and then to Pookote lake and Lakkidi View point.

To go to Soochipara Falls, one has to cross the Kalpetta Town and then there is a small circle where straight road goes to Soochipara falls and right diversion goes to Pookote Lake. The road from that point till Soochipara falls is just brilliant in terms of scenery. There are endless tea gardens on both sides of the road and you cross quite a few tiny mountains on the way. As we went further, the road became more and more narrow.

Some pics on the way to Soochipara falls.

God's own state - Wayanad-100_4740.jpg

God's own state - Wayanad-100_4759.jpg

God's own state - Wayanad-way-falls.jpg

As usual, the atmosphere at Soochipara falls was simply amazing. So much of fog that one can't even see beyond 10-15 meters. The trek to the falls is around 1 KM going down the hill. The path to the falls is well paved with stones and there are steps for last 200 meters or so as it is very very steep.

Parking at Soochipara Falls.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4770.jpg

Golu is all dirty going through the rainy roads. But he has not let me down at all in the ghat roads. He has been very very responsive whenever I needed more power from him .
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4774.jpg

Trek to Soochipara Falls.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4778.jpg

Sensitive Plant on the trek to Soochipara Falls.

Well paved path to Soochipara Falls.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4785.jpg

At about half way through the trek, we started hearing the sound of the falls and that itself was enough to guess the amount of water flow we were going to see. Height of this fall is not very much compared to some other famous water falls here in south India, but the amount of water flowing through the falls was really huge because of monsoons.

The magnificent Soochipara Falls. Couldn't take a decent photo of the falls as there were too many water particles in the air.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4793.jpg

One thing that is very good about this place is, there are government people appointed to help tourists go to as near as possible to the falls. They were very very helpful and were helping each and everyone to climb down and up the falls. The entire are near the falls is very slippery and one has to be very careful while going near to the falls.

Soochipara Water falls.

We spent some time there and then came back to the parking place trekking up the mountain. The return trek was very very tiring. Because of the tiredness, we decided to head back to hotel and have lunch and some much needed rest before starting for Pookote Lake. As mentioned earlier, one has to take the right diversion at the circle outside the Kalpetta town. The road towards Pookote lake is NH 212 and is in very good condition. The road surface is very very smooth. The moment we reached Pookote lake, it started raining heavily. We just sat there for half n hour under an umbrella watching the beautiful lake in rains.

Pookote Lake. No more photos as it started raining heavily afterward.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4819.jpg

As the rain slowed down a bit, we decided to head towards Lakkidi view point which is only about 4 KMs away on the NH 212 itself. Lakkidi is a small place outside the border of Wayanad district towards Calicut. The place is famous for the valley view. When we reached this point, it was very foggy and nothing was visible. So took a few pics and decided to go to Cafe Coffee Day we had seen on the way.

Lakkidi View Point completely under fog.

Some bike gang at Lakkidi View Point.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4835.jpg

Spent about 45 minutes at CCD sipping hot coffee in cold weather. Decided to go back to the Lakkidi view point to see if fog cleared a bit and Bingo. There was absolutely no fog on the road and the view of the valley was just mesmerizing. There were clouds in the valley which were lower than where we were standing.

Lakkidi View Point after fog got cleared a bit.
God's own state - Wayanad-lakkidi-view-point1.jpg

Lakkidi View Point.

Yours truly with his second love @ Lakkidi View Point.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_48491.jpg

Everything changed within 15 minutes and a thick fog covered everything back. Decided to call it a day at 6.30 PM and headed back to hotel.

Drive back to hotel from Lakkidi View Point in thick fog.

Plan for day 3 was to visit Edakkal Caves near Sultan Bathery and from there back to Bangalore.

Day 3, hotel review and trip statistics: Continued...
Old 26th August 2010, 20:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

Nice snaps and this is a perfect season for Waynad!
Old 26th August 2010, 21:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Awesome shots Gandhi. You are now tempting me to go there at the earliest with your superb pics. Waiting for the hotel details to decide on a date to visit.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Gandhi - Pics are excellent, looks like some good DSLR. Do you've any more pics on the RE's posted in the 100_4835.JPG? I love to see the white walled tyre RE. Pls share some pics, if you've some. Tks.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:05   #13
BHPian

Hi Gandhiji ,

Amazing pics. Really liked the pics of the lake. Waiting for more.
Old 27th August 2010, 08:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice snaps and this is a perfect season for Waynad!
Thanks Ampere. Yes, the time is excellent to visit Wayanad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Awesome shots Gandhi. You are now tempting me to go there at the earliest with your superb pics. Waiting for the hotel details to decide on a date to visit.
Thank you Abhinav. Rest of the travelogue should be up tonight once I get back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Gandhi - Pics are excellent, looks like some good DSLR. Do you've any more pics on the RE's posted in the 100_4835.JPG? I love to see the white walled tyre RE. Pls share some pics, if you've some. Tks.
Thanks Aargee. The camera is a point & shoot Kodak Z812. It does have all the manual modes though.

I have only one more picture of that gang. Here you go.
God's own state - Wayanad-100_4833.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi Gandhiji ,

Amazing pics. Really liked the pics of the lake. Waiting for more.
Thanks Sami. Glad you liked them.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

These pictures are a sight for the sore eyes....

BTW, what was the condition of the ghat?

And, how was the kerala food...?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks