Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 06:53   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Ruf...Good to see you. Finally you decided to do the things you do best.

You on a Getz...revenge of the Getz huh?? Btw keep the gret pics and captions coming.
You caught me in action, O' Mighty WhiteKnight , thought I'll tell you about it once I finish the travelogue.

I haven't told my Swift back home that I drove a Getz out here, so let this be a secret between us he! he!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Snaps look as fresh as a morning due.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
The pictures are great and scenery is breathtaking. Superb, Thanks for sharing
Thanks ampere and deky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Rufroc - I decided to close the travelogue just after a quick glance at pics, sorry to say, your pics 8259, 8236 & 8312 were so amazing that I couldn't resist posting this; those pics are simply fantastic. Keep them coming, I'm all eyes reading this.

Edit - On a second thought, I browsed through the pics again & they're giving me a different look; actually most of them are excellent (8234, 8273) & as good as the ones I mentioned.
aargee, quite a few pics were taken by my wife, I'll let her know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Amazing pics. What your lens configuration?
Thanks. Its the kit lens 18-55 IS on the 450D. Hoping to add the 50 f1.8 soon and then hopefully the 55-250 IS. Initially had plans to ditch the kit lens and get a Tamron or Sigma 17-50 f2.8 but realised in good time that that would just be an impulsive buy and I haven't yet 'realised' the limitations of the kit lens ... so I've got a long way to go.

@arindamray,ramkya1:

Thanks for the comments. Here's some background on the trip, I didn't want to put it right at the start of the travelogue coz I felt some might be bored.

Travel: We booked our flight with Tiger Airways (a month before our date of travel) and it came to around 236 A$ (1 A$ is approx 40.5 Rs), return to Melbourne (for 2). Its just a short 1 hour haul from Melbourne. Why Tiger Airways? well ... you know the reason . Their fares actually go even cheaper when they have their sale fare, we bought ours at regular rates. You can get a good idea of domestic flight rates from www.webjet.com.au (they do a comparison of all flights). Once our tickets were booked, it was on to accomodation.

Yup, before that let me talk about the car rental. You have the usual big players like Hertz, Avis, Europcar, Budget. You book online and pay when you're picking up the car, there's no need for an IDP, you can drive with an Indian license. Please don't quote me on this though because I think there's a time period after which you have to apply for the Australian license, I'm not too sure about that. For rentals in Australia, I use this site www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au to get an idea and then book online with the car rental company. Rates vary big time, depending on factors such as long weekends, whether you're picking it up from an Airport (there's a surcharge there), whether you're returning it to a different location etc. The longer time period you book for, the cheaper it gets. The average daily rental say for a Corolla would be somewhere around 50 - 60 A$ (I once got one for almost a little less than 50), so that would give you an idea. Adding a GPS to the rental would work out to another 10 A$ per day, so for a long trip you'd be better off buying a GPS Unit (starting from around 150 A$). Fuel's really cheap, around a dollar per litre (petrol or diesel)

Accomodation: We booked with www.wotif.com.au , very prompt customer service (we had to amend our booking later, when our friend confirmed his trip) and absolutely no hassles at the hotel desk. We managed to find a decent deal at around 80 A$ at a motel called Martin Cash. The place was maintained well and it was at a very convenient location (when I say convenient, I mean there were lots of food places around) . We were a little skeptical about the place (you know the motel image) but it was actually good. Here's a pic of what 80 A$ got us. If you're travelling with a family and kids, you can rent some lovely cottages in Tasmania, right on the banks of streams ... its actually like those postcards you see, believe me.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8673.jpg

It wasn't really the best time to visit Tasmania, June was bang in the middle of winter and temperatures were between 3 - 12 degrees and it felt way colder than that coz of the winds. But then it was between Tasmania and visiting Alice Springs in the Northern Territory. Decided to keep Alice Springs for when we could do a long drive there, probably in a campervan.

Entry to Parks: Well, most Parks have a nominal charge attached to it, you sometimes pay per individual and at other times for just your vehicle to enter. Tasmania is so laid back, you'll love it here for a holiday. They've got some lovely roads, I remember reading sometime back that they have a road on the list of Top 10 motoring roads in the world. You'll love driving out here, its one of those places where the journey sometimes beats the destination.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:32   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Wonderful pictures.
Please give us the background too, how did you plan and all?
Can you drive with Indian license, or do you need an IDP?
Some budget indication and break-up would also help.
Since Australia is a commonwealth country and they drive on the same side of the road as us, you can use the normal indian driving license. I remember my friend had the book kind of license and it was not even in English . The Hertz guys accepted that license and gave us the car.

Great pics Rufroc. The snaps are really good . I'm not sure if you know this, but there is some kind of pass where you pay a nominal fee and you get entry to all the national parks in Tasmania for a week or so ( i think there are 9 or 11 national parks in Tasmania ) . That one is real value for money. Also, the next time you visit, plan to spend the night at Cradle Mountain and Dove Lake. It's one of the most beautiful places in Tasmania. There are some beautiful caves which you could visit on the way to Cradle mountain from Launceston.
Old 19th July 2010, 14:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I'm not sure if you know this, but there is some kind of pass where you pay a nominal fee and you get entry to all the national parks in Tasmania for a week or so ( i think there are 9 or 11 national parks in Tasmania ) . That one is real value for money.
We came to know about it while getting a pass for the Freycinet National Park but then since we knew we wouldn't be visiting all those places during this visit, didn't make sense to go for it. But that certainly is good value for money, especially if you want to camp at these places. Cradle Mountain is certainly on our map, if we visit Tasmania again.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:00   #19
BHPian

Bruny Island (contd ...)

We'd heard about this eco-cruise on Bruny Island (Bruny Island 3 Hour Eco-Cruise | Bruny Island Cruises), we initially thought it was just something touristy but then read a few reviews on the internet and it came out as one of those experiences which people cherished. It was kinda expensive at 100 A$ for a 3 hour cruise but at the end of it, we really loved it. For me, this was certainly one of the highlights of the trip. It was some rough sea and before the cruise started, we were all given a tab each ... best part was some really interesting commentary from the guy driving the boat. It was thrilling, first time I was experiencing something like this on water (the closest was the Banana Ride on Goa's beaches). The speedboat would skim over the waves and you'd sometimes hit these air pockets and experience some crazy hang time before it hits the water again. He really let it zip especially when we went away from the shore, in search of dolphins and albatross. Its the tip of the continent and your next stop, if you go in a straight line would be Antartica .

Before the cruise starts, our guide does a really funny take on the lines of the safety instructions done on aeroplanes. Does a 360 and tells us that we're free to exit the boat from any side we choose, in case of an emergency. Well, you'd have to hear it from him for it to be funny, I think I just killed the punch line

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8317.jpg

There's the other boat.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8319.jpg

These spots were notorious for early day whalers. Its right on the migration route of the whales, so spotters would watch from on top of these cliffs and the moment they spot one, they'd send out a party to rein them in. They were almost hunted to extinction at one point, I guess their numbers are improving now.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8329.jpg

Not really a bird person, can't remember what name these birds go by.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8336.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8341.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8342.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8361.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8365.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8366.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8382.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8408.jpg

I think this was a blowhole, you could see water being sucked into the rocks and then it would explode with a bang, was really awesome seeing it from so close.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8410.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8424.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8428.jpg

A sunny moment

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8461.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8465.jpg

Last edited by RufRoc : 19th July 2010 at 15:02.
Old 19th July 2010, 17:29   #20
BHPian

Bruny Island (cont ...)

And this is where we got to see the seals, this was quite some distance from the shore, an exciting rough ride on the high seas. Now here's an interesting fact on these seals, chilling on the rocks. Its supposed to be a hangout only for the male seals, this is where they hang out, eating and doing absolutely nothing ... Perfect life huh , they go to where the females live, only when its time to do the dew and then its back to base camp to recuperate he! he! The place stank coz of all the rotting fish around the rock but who cares, this was the first time I've seen seals in the wild, some even swam close to the boat ... I guess out of curiousity. One of those times I wish I had a lens with some reach, to get closer ... there were some really big fella's out there.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8473.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8480.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8504.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8516.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8519.jpg

Got to see some Albatross too, I thought they'd be much bigger than this though ... ain't they supposed to have the largest wing span? We hung around for a while hoping to catch some dolphins but without any luck.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8526.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8530.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8534.jpg

Picture driving along these roads, absolutely no traffic and enough scenery on both sides to seriously distract you. We hung around this place for an early dinner, while we waited for our ferry to take us back to Kettering. These pics were shot from the patio of the restaurant.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8545.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8546.jpg

Tried some chilli Ginger Beer, first time I've tasted flavored Ginger Beer. And thats some Atlantic Smoked Salmon to go with it.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8539.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8549.jpg

The ferry gets us back to the mainland close to 8 PM and its so cold that all we can think about is getting into bed as soon as possible. But nah ... the night doesn't end there. The next day's my B'day so there's some drama once we get back, trying to figure out where to get a cake from, at that hour ... well, but thats a story for another day. Today was a very eventful day, Bruny Island gets a big thumbs up.
Old 19th July 2010, 19:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful photos RufRoc. I thought those birds are some species of Penguins. Nice to see Getz in 2 door and 4 door versions, difference noticed with Indian cars is they way they are kept .
Old 19th July 2010, 20:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great pics. I could see lots of seals resting on the rocks. Did n't you go closer?

Yes, the albatross to me too appear small like a seagull.
Old 19th July 2010, 23:20   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, the albatross to me too appear small like a seagull.
+1 to that. even i thought they are seagulls.
Old 20th July 2010, 13:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Beautiful photos RufRoc.
Thanks jacs.

Quote:
Great pics. I could see lots of seals resting on the rocks. Did n't you go closer?
Thanks. The seals were on a huge rock jutting out of the sea. There would have been no way to get any closer which was why I'd mentioned that I would have loved to have a lens with more reach.
Old 20th July 2010, 14:27   #25
BHPian

Day 3 (June 14th): (Freycinet National Park)

Its our B'day, my 29th and my Swift's 3rd (I've left her with my friend who gives her some extra TLC on her special day). We wake up really late (it was bound to happen after all the drama from the previous night, where we went searching for a cake late at night. All that we managed to get was a custard pie, so custard pie it is . Today we head out to Freycinet National Park, its a good 3-4 hour journey from Hobart, so we know we're running really late. We decide to make the most of the journey and its a lovely lovely drive, all the way to the Park.

We reach close to 2 PM and we have just about enough time to trek up to the point where we can Wineglass Bay, its a surprisingly sunny day. We try to make up our minds, trek all the way down to the Bay or go try our luck spotting some whales (the person at the Desk had said they were quite a few spottings lately), its their migration season and they go past the coast. We finally decide to go try our luck with the whales. Its not our day though and the whales don't humour me on my B'day, we hang around in the cold till it was too dark to see and finally leave. Maybe, next time.

This was the lookout point from where we were told we could spot whales passing the coast.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8663.jpg

Thats Anmol getting a face tan.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8577.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8581.jpg

Wineglass Bay, wish we had time to trek down for more pics.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8591.jpg

We found this friendly lil wallaby in the parking lot.

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8608.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8619.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8624.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8625.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8633.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8634.jpg

Its a long drive back and its quite late by the time we get to Hobart, so its chicken from 'Legs & Breast' tonight ... my B'day dinner . Its our last night in Tasmania, we hope Mt Wellington is open tomorrow coz we don't want to leave without getting to see it.
Old 20th July 2010, 16:32   #26
BHPian

wow! Great pics, waiting for more..
Old 20th July 2010, 16:42   #27
BHPian

Awesome pics. Makes me feel nostalgic. Wine glass bay is very beautiful. I heard it's so called because the shape of the bay looks like a wine glass. Is this true ?
Old 20th July 2010, 19:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow, i never knew kangaroos roam around like that. Fine they are in abundance there but I always thought they are found in forests/wilderness or in the national parks. Not in the parking lot! Was the park not gated?
Old 20th July 2010, 19:31   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, i never knew kangaroos roam around like that. Fine they are in abundance there but I always thought they are found in forests/wilderness or in the national parks. Not in the parking lot! Was the park not gated?
Kangaroos are everywhere once you go out of the cities. I was shocked to see so many kangaroos becoming road kill in Tasmania. But we were told that if we brake for these while travelling at 120 kmph, we would become the roadkill instead, so people never stop when kangaroos jump into your path suddenly. You cannot believe the amount of roadkill on these roads and most of them are kangaroos.

By the way, that pic was a Wallaby, which is a smaller version of the Kangaroo .
Old 11th September 2010, 17:06   #30
BHPian

I know I'm guilty of completing my travelogue, two months after my last post. Took up a new job and have been a lil busy lately. Anyway, I"m going to just silently slip in pics from our last day in Tasmania.

The pics are mostly from Mt Wellington ... boy, was it cold up there, really brrrr cold and windy too but you get some lovely views of Hobart and the surroundings from up there. There are loads of walking trails from the top (or to the top, depending on where you're headed to) and would have loved to do one of them but we didn't have the time for it, our flight was early in the evening. Mt Wellington was a really nice place and it was informative reading stuff at the centre at the top of the mount.

The last set of pics are from the 7 Mile Beach, we landed up here only coz we later realised we had a little time to spare and this beach being near the airport, we spent some time hanging around there. And just like that, it was time to catch our flight back to Melbourne ... leaving a truly memorable place behind. There's still so much of Tasmania left to see, especially towards the north of the Island, so we'd certainly love to go back there someday and do Tasmania at a more relaxed pace.

Well, guys ... the next travelogue is going to be crazy and hopefully should be up in the first week of January. Here's a spoiler though, its going to be from that small country renowed for being known as the adventure capital of the world, a 10 day trip beckons

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8678.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8679.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8681.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8682.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8684.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8685.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8686.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8687.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8689.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8690.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8692.jpg

We finally paid the Tasmanian Devil a visit-img_8694.jpg