Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 18:03   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I wish there is more water in Jog, I am going tomorrow, but ET you got to nice positions, great snaps.
Thanks asdon! And i thank mother nature for this spectacle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
934.jpg & 1014.jpg looks awesome; they even remind me of Munnar but for the water falls. And yes, the chow chow bath & sambar in KA is really awesome; though I have taken chow chow bath only once, it was good & I'm a huge fan of KA's sambar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My experience with "Chow Chow"

"Suji ka Halwa" (A.K.A Kesri Bath) + Upma (A.K.A Khara Bath) = Chow Chow Bath
Sorry for the OT folks!
I should have added Chow Chow in the subject line. And i think it is perfectly ok and not OT. I can hear a lot of growling stomachs
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Nice write up Extreme Torque.
Please post lots of pictures.
Thanks SILVERWOOD. The route wouldnt have been possible if not for you, ampere and several other TBHPians. Just posted 30 and some more to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
How was the road between Anandapuram and Thirthahalli. That stretch was pathetic when I drove it 3 months back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Place looks "perfectly-wet" for a weekend.
How was the Anandapuram-Thirthahalli stretch?
I thought it was ok. It was a bit rough and narrow at places, but for an SH i would rate it 6/10. The best part about the SH's in KA is the picture perfect locales take your mind away from the few bad stretch's.

edit: added photo of SH1 - Anandapuram to Thirthahalli

This one is from SH1 and this is how it was in some patches

Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1065.jpg
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1060.jpg

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 14th July 2010 at 18:14.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thats good report and excellant route you have taken, best one to enjoy the nature in rain. My Innova with full load required 1st gear on the way to Kundadri. It is indeed scary ghat section.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Thats good report and excellant route you have taken, best one to enjoy the nature in rain. My Innova with full load required 1st gear on the way to Kundadri. It is indeed scary ghat section.

Regards,

Ravi.
WOW! Now thats one achievement, considering Innova being wider and longer and the narrow roads with steep inclines on Kundadri. We did see one innova coming up effortlessly, on our way down and it was a herculean task making way for it and concentrating on the steep drops .
Old 14th July 2010, 21:41   #19
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Seems they have patched it up. When I went there were potholes.
Old 14th July 2010, 23:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

A very nice write up. Slightly late to comment.

Nice to see the better half taking responsibility of shooting. The jog falls pics are great.

What a way to celebrate birthday! Pineapples! Good going.

Post about the car performance too if you can.
Old 15th July 2010, 10:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
A very nice write up. Slightly late to comment.

Nice to see the better half taking responsibility of shooting. The jog falls pics are great.

What a way to celebrate birthday! Pineapples! Good going.

Post about the car performance too if you can.
Thanks TB! The car performed pretty well with a FE of 15.6 KM/L (105.6 L for 1652 KM). I scraped the underbody once, thanks to the foot deep craters, on the way to Hospet on NH13. The only place I felt the car put effort was while scaling the steep slopes of Kundadri.
Old 15th July 2010, 10:39   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The time of the year to visit Jog, Kundadri, Agumbe, Kodachadri, kudremukh etc.

Nice photos as well. Do bring it on.

Will be doing this route in sometime beginning next month. Though in a bike.
Old 15th July 2010, 10:57   #23
BHPian

Found some more from Day 1,2 & 3.

The approach bridge to Jog
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-5651.jpg

I have a severe hangover of this:
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-5661.jpg

Up close the Rani
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-5686.jpg

The greens are eye candy for sure
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-5694.jpg

This is a newly built culvert
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-5751.jpg

Kind words from visitors to the Dodda mane (Malgudi house)
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-5761.jpg
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-5762.jpg

Slurp!
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1044.jpg

Coming up, Day 4: The unkempt ruins
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1309.jpg
Old 15th July 2010, 11:07   #24
BHPian

Hey did you happen to visit Marikamba temple in Sirsi. Its a beautiful temple and i used to be there during my primary school days!! Oh my god, nostalgic!!!
Old 15th July 2010, 11:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

I agree, the second picture is mesmerizing.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice FE you got. The jog fall pics are good. But I always thought they are bigger.

The condition of NEW culvert speaks a lot about the way things happen. This pillar wont survive many years with so much water around it.

What are these ruins all about?
Old 15th July 2010, 12:03   #27
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

Doing it alone? Did u already get permission ?

By the way awesome snaps and narration. You are forcing me to go to the western ghats.
Old 15th July 2010, 12:38   #28
BHPian

Pineapples with chilli powder is a novel idea to me.

I think salt or chaat masala tastes good. Will definately give a try to this combo.
Old 15th July 2010, 14:54   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

Bike? I envy you and i was thinking the same. Nothing like doing these places on a bike, in the rains!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Hey did you happen to visit Marikamba temple in Sirsi. Its a beautiful temple and i used to be there during my primary school days!! Oh my god, nostalgic!!!
Was not aware of this temple. Will surely visit it next time. BTW, Sirsi town itself looked very beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I agree, the second picture is mesmerizing.
Thanks SW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Nice FE you got. The jog fall pics are good. But I always thought they are bigger.

The condition of NEW culvert speaks a lot about the way things happen. This pillar wont survive many years with so much water around it.

What are these ruins all about?
Ruins - coming up in a short while...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Doing it alone? Did u already get permission ?

By the way awesome snaps and narration. You are forcing me to go to the western ghats.
Thank you, thank you! The western ghats have that magnetic effect and keep pulling me, every year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd25 View Post
Pineapples with chilli powder is a novel idea to me.

I think salt or chaat masala tastes good. Will definately give a try to this combo.
This was my first time too, and do try it! The best i've ever had in my life!
Old 16th July 2010, 09:52   #30
BHPian

Day4: Agumbe>Shimoga>Harihar>Hospet>Hampi

The Russian ‘spirit’ did wonders to a sore back!
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1258.jpg

A good nights sleep and we were up, fresh as flowers, followed by checkout and a sumptuous breakfast at the hotels in house restaurant. The Bisi Bale Bhath and coffee need special mention.

Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-breakfast.jpg
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-coffee.jpg

50 bucks to the watchman and my stallion was sparkling clean!
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-clean.jpg

After a few enquiries and remembering our TBHPians inputs, we decided to take the Harihar route instead of the Chitradurga route to Hospet. Also, before we set out, we were told about the BJP/Opposition bandh and were very apprehensive of being stopped in our tracks at major destinations. With fingers crossed, we hit SH26 to Harihar. This came (yet again!) as a blessing with ample of flora and fauna on the way and very minor demonstrations at key towns.
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-ducks.jpg
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-arecnut.jpg

SH26, initially, for 36 KM’s out of Shimoga is not so good with chipped surfaces every 5-6KM’s, but we could maintain a steady 70KMPH due to the lack of traffic, in the early hours. Then on (from Honnali) it was a peaceful drive with smooth roads except for the numerous speed bumps – which are a real kill joy. But hey, we were not complaining as the weather and the scenery made up for it. Just before reaching Hospet, SH25 joins NH13 near the Tungabhadra reservoir.

Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-bhadra-reserv-1290.jpg

There was a never ending line (at least 2KM) of stationary container and mining trucks. We luckily had enough place to the left to inch forward and could see a very narrow railway crossing. Now we knew why there was this serpentine queue of mammoths.
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-jam-1294.jpg

Hospet, unlike other towns was full of action despite the bandh, but all restaurants looked closed and I quickly dished out my notes to look for Hotel Malligi’s number (I had a strong haunch it would be open). A quick call confirmed that they were open and we straight headed there for lunch. Though I did not really enjoy the food (too spicy for my liking), the rest of the company said it was the best food they had throughout the journey. Also, it looked like a good hotel for a few nights stay, as suggested by TBHPians. The only reason we didn’t opt for Malligi while coming was because we felt the price is a bit on the higher side (1500 per night) and no extra bed allowed saaaaaaaar. Lunch over with, we rushed to catch a glimpse of the Hampi ruins (UNESCO world heritage site - [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampi[/COLOR]). The weather had changed drastically and we were being bogged down by the unrelenting heat.
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1309.jpg

Prashant’s wife was not doing too well and decided to stay back and explore the market. Since we had only a few hours, we decided against a guide and explored most of the ruins by foot and key places by car.
Virupaksha Temple
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1298.jpg

We never take these seriously - chalta hai
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1302.jpg

Hampi naksha
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1304.jpg
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1307.jpg
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-hampi-signboard.jpg

Kadalekalu Ganesha - monolithic
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-kadalekalu-ganesha.jpg
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1331.jpg

Rock formations
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1333.jpg

Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-7-jain-temples.jpg

Bhima Dwaram
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-bhima-dwaram.jpg

Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-monolithic-ganesh.jpg

Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-rain-temple.jpg

One very sad thing, we observed, was that despite being classified as a UNESCO world heritage site, these beautiful ruins (especially near the virupaksha temple and market) were heavily littered. There were a lot of enthusiastic foreigners from across the globe (we could tell a few Brits, Gringo’s, Auzzie mates, Germans, Spaniards etc by their accents) coming all the way to explore these sites and here we are, literally ripping our heritage apart. I remember an instance where we were walking past the 7 Jain temples, followed by a German sounding couple. A few feet away, a little guy comes and starts defecating at the steps of this structure. We could see the German’s freezing in their tracks. Also observed was a lot of discarded plastic and once inside the ruins you cannot miss the reek and stench of feces/urine. Another aspect, which is often noticed in tourist destinations with a heavy foreigner presence, was the locals trying to rip them off. They quote almost double what they quote to us.

Done with the virupaksha temple and many other surrounding places of importance, we headed back home (with a sigh!). This time, to avoid NH13, we took the route via Anegundi, Sangapur and Gangawati. From Sangapur to Gangawati there is a small stretch of about 10KM that is being repaired. Rest of the road to Raichur was excellent.

Harnessing natures power
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-windmills-1262.jpg

The roads
Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!-1287.jpg

Somewhere between Sindhanur and Manvi, it started pouring and I could see a few tractors parked to the left. We were trailing a lorry whose driver suddenly realized there were tractors on the left and suddenly swerved to the right, pushing an oncoming Elantra off the road. Due to the heavy sludge, the driver lost control while trying to come back onto the road. I was certain he would skid and hit me when I hit the brakes and stopped just a few feet from the tractors. The entire vehicle (Elantra) swerved a full 180 degrees and came to a halt between the tractors, before hitting the kerb on our side of the road! Man! One lucky guy!!! The locals immediately gathered and looked like they were ready give the man a good thrashing. Me and Prashant immediately go out to check on him and convinced the locals that it was not his mistake. They finally let him be and we moved on. The rest of the journey, it was raining (pouring, literally) which made the drive back a bit strenuous and the fear of aquaplaning made me keep the stallion below 70. All signboards reading Hyderabad – x KM’s seemed to look like ‘WELCOME BACK TO REALITY’ or ‘GO TO WORK TOMORROW’. Well that’s the way the cookie crumbles, doesn’t it?

The end.
Arun

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks