@ampere;
@akbaree;
@paragsachania;
@StarVegabond;
@Saurabh M;

Thanks a lot guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only other crisp architectures that I have seen are the Belur/Halebid temples! Beautiful.
- True. The level of detailing is similar to what we can see in the Hoysala temples. Unfortunately, the stone that has been used here seems to be more prone to erosion and degradation... the Archeological Department should look at coating the outside of the temples with protective chemicals... like they have done in a few temples in Tamilnadu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
... In their series - Ahmedabad: Towards World Heritage City, TOI ran a series of articles about Ahmedabad's heritage and most of them were eye openers. I should have kept the cuttings. I will get to them using the epaper archives.

And anyone going to Ahd should sample food at Agashiye (Mangaldas Ni Haveli) - try for dinner. This post has some pictures from my visit to Agashiye
Yes, I too saw the picture of the Haveli in the TOI world heritage series. IIRC you can find it on the ePaper - Ahd editions dated 18th April 2010.

Agashiye is great! @495 per person for the special thali, they are a little on the expensive side. But a must try in Ahd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
...The kathiawad and Saurashtra region of Gujarat have some amazing places of heritage which talk a tale about themselves.
Interesting. If I can get out of campus over the weekends, will look up at some of the regions you have mentioned.
hotstuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 22:39   #17
BHPian

@hotstuff - Nice log there. Have always enjoyed your Xinglogs. You have a nice way of narration and your photos are also good. Hoping to see more of Gujarat through your logs.
PS: The pic of that Gujarati Thali has my stomach grumbling again. Now to see what I can conjure up at this hour
Old 6th July 2010, 10:53   #18
BHPian

As always, a fantastic log from you, this one showing the rich heritage of our country! Many thanks!
Old 6th July 2010, 12:27   #19
BHPian

Hotstuff, Superb pics and a very informative travelodge. Thanks for sharing!

Near Sidhpur there is place called Matru Gaya (close to Bindu Sarovar). Did you visit this? If you did, can u share some snaps?
Old 6th July 2010, 14:46   #20
BHPian

Was missing 'Xinging Around' logs, and found one
Now know the reason of the log thinning down - a new acquired student status. All the best for your course.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:58   #21
Team-BHP Support

Just one line comes to my mind.

Saare Jahan se Acha Hindustan Hamara.

Lovely pics, Thanks for sharing.
Old 6th July 2010, 15:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Aha!! the Xing is back! Lovely travelogue Sanjay. Now these have to go into my 'must visit list' (which btw is just piling up without any actual trips). Hopefully, I can visit them once.

EDIT:@bblost, you said it. No matter how much we explore outside the country, we must make an effort to see what is there in our country.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 6th July 2010 at 15:11.
Old 6th July 2010, 17:40   #23
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Lovely pics. What was surprising is that I was not even aware of the names of the places that you have mentioned (may be I am just plain ignorant) and the architectural richness of these unknown places was out of this world.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 6th July 2010, 18:04   #24
BHPian

Absolutely brilliant pictures.

We, as a family, visited Ahmadabad in January. Mainly to look at old furniture and partly to visit some relatives. If i had read this travelogue before then, it would have made the trip into and around the city a lot more eventful. I wasn't too fond of Ahmadabad then, but i now think another visit is warranted.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 6th July 2010, 18:17   #25
BHPian

After so many appreciative posts, I have left with nothing extra to say! But, I must say, I am privileged to read your travelogue and to see those wonderful snaps. The architecture is simply superb and the way you have narrated the whole story is very unique and informative. See! I couldn't stop myself from appreciating!
Old 7th July 2010, 07:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful pics dude. I've lived in Ahmedabad for almost 2 years, and visited all these places (except Sidhpur) separately. But so much travel in one day! And so many awesome pics!

I have some pics of my own of these places, but will not paste in your thread unless I have your permission.

Thanks for this wonderful travelogue. Did you also visit places like Sabarmati Ashram and the nakli Vaishnodevi temple?
Old 8th July 2010, 02:11   #27
BHPian

Thanks !

@Nutty Nair;
@k149in;
@Autocop;
@arindamray;
@bblost;
@addyhemmige;
@SDP;
@Samir Taheer;
@whitesquall;
@predatorwheelz;

Thanks a lot guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
... Near Sidhpur there is place called Matru Gaya (close to Bindu Sarovar). Did you visit this? If you did, can u share some snaps?
:-( I was not aware of the place. (Googled it up after reading your post.) Will probably plan a visit sometime in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
..Saare Jahan se Acha Hindustan Hamara.
So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
...I have some pics of my own of these places, but will not paste in your thread unless I have your permission.
You are most welcome to post your pics. They will definitely add a lot of value to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
...Did you also visit places like Sabarmati Ashram and the nakli Vaishnodevi temple?
Not yet. We did plan a visit to the Ashram, but could not follow through as planned. Meanwhile, I had been to the HathiSingh Temple in May. The Tlog is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ahmedabad.html
hotstuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2010, 04:34   #28
BHPian

Indeed its hot stuff
Old 11th July 2010, 11:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
You are most welcome to post your pics. They will definitely add a lot of value to this thread.
Thanks. Most of the pics were on my old laptop, which has crashed some days back . Just posting whatever backup I have:

First up, Adalaj Step Well

Entrance to the well

'Xing'ing around ! - Vav, Vav... Wow!-adalaj-step-well.jpg

View from up

'Xing'ing around ! - Vav, Vav... Wow!-view-up.jpg

Beautiful Jharokha at the well

'Xing'ing around ! - Vav, Vav... Wow!-jharokha-well.jpg

Stone Carvings

'Xing'ing around ! - Vav, Vav... Wow!-dsc00943.jpg

Rani Saheba reincarnated

'Xing'ing around ! - Vav, Vav... Wow!-me-jharokha-well.jpg

Going down, downer and downest!

'Xing'ing around ! - Vav, Vav... Wow!-dsc00954.jpg

The actual well. Obviously its been sealed off. Otherwise in dry state Gujarat, on a bad stock market day, you never know!

Name:  DSC00949.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  144.3 KB

View from down there

'Xing'ing around ! - Vav, Vav... Wow!-another-view-below.jpg

These beautiful lamp holders, placed at every storey, actually lit up the whole well

'Xing'ing around ! - Vav, Vav... Wow!-well-below-lamp-holders.jpg

The graves of the 5 artisans, apparently buried alive after finishing the well

'Xing'ing around ! - Vav, Vav... Wow!-five-graves-where-artisans-were-buried-live.jpg
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks