Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 21:54   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Great thread here TaureanBull.
This thread will surely be helpful for any TBHPian planning to visit Egypt.
Glad to know that it is a very safe place.
How do you rate the roads there in Egypt? Are they better than what we have in India?
The roads in Egypt are same as in India. The highways and city roads are good. Rural roads are bad. They dont have system of Traffic lights except in the heart of city where roads can not be broadened. The roundabouts and U-turns take care of the turns. Traffic is pretty fast.

I have just came back from my trip. I will post about it as soon as I can.
Old 5th July 2010, 23:44   #137
Senior - BHPian

Ismailia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
Thank you for wonderfully capturing the history of Egypt and opening the doors for us to see inside the pyramids. It sure is an eye-opener.
Thanks for you appreciation.

As told before, we planned to go to Ismailia today. With everything tied up, all bags ready, I get a call from the driver sharp at 8AM that he is ready on the road. It was the same vehicle which I had taken two days before to Saqqarah (the second car). We loaded our bags and left after 5mins. I had to go to the ATM, so I asked him to take me to the nearest ATM. But it involved getting into the city traffic. Lost about half an hour.

We get on the course of our journey at 8:40AM. The road is reasonably good. There is desert on both the sides of the highway, but next to the road concrete jungle is coming up throughout. At about 10 AM we enter the Ismailia Governate and there is a toll tax gate. LE 10/- one way (included in taxi fare).

Surprisingly, there is lot of greenery as we move closer to the city. Both sides we can see plant nurseries, mango orchards and trees on the road.

The Toll Gate

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00008.jpg

Road to Ismailia

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00015.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00016.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 00:16   #138
Senior - BHPian

Ismailia

There are three canal citys (Suways/Suez Canal) viz Port Said at the northern mouth, Ismailia in the centre and Suez in the south. Ismailia is the biggest of them all. It was established by Khedive Ismail when the canal was being constructed.

The Suez canal construction began in 1859 to connect East with West by a French company. The digging of canal took 10 years and forced labour (mostly Egyptians) of more than a million. Several thousands perished while working. The canal was completed in 1869 and it dramatically reduced the distance between East & West.

There were tensions several time over the canal. The Suez Crisis 1953 mainly with French and UK. The canal was closed during tensions with Israel. Presently, the canal is with Egypt under Suez Canal Company.

The Suez Canal is approx 300m wide (width varies), about 8m deep and 165km long. (Can not imagine how people dug that out!!!). Its one way. There is by-passing place in Great Bitter Lake.

As we turned from Cairo-Port Said highway towards Ismailia we saw the statue commemorating the construction of Suways. (In arabic its Suways).

The 'Right Turn'

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00210.jpg

The Statue

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00212.jpg

Map in Front of statue showing the digging of canal by red dots

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00213.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00214.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 00:31   #139
Senior - BHPian

Ismailia

The driver is not conversant with Ismailia. So,he asks people for the final route to the canal. The first one is a fruit seller. I utilise this time to capture pic of his possessions.

Any take on the name of this fruit?

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00020.jpg

The driver takes few turns here and there and reaches south of Lake Timsah (connects to Suways). I tell him to find the exact route to the canal. While he is busy I get out of the car and shoot in the area around.

Busy at work in the morning

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00023.jpg

Bridge over the Lake

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00038.jpg

The lake

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00044.jpg

Corniche

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00052.jpg

Fresh fishes at a nearby seller's shop

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00041.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 01:30   #140
Senior - BHPian

Ismailia : Suez Canal

The driver founds the direction and we head for the canal. But to visit canal you have to go through a club. There is no open shore of canal. We go to the "Beach Club" (Nady Shawty).

Entrance fees : LE 15/- per person for full day. Kids no charge. Chairs/umbrellas/gazebo included.

Main Entrance

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00207.jpg

Walk to the Beach

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00203.jpg

Another Gate

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00205.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 01:39   #141
Senior - BHPian

We are ready for a beach outing. Swimming costumes, tube for daughter and beach ball. My daughter is excited on the prospects of spending the day at the canal/beach. We pick up a corner gazebo and settle down. We get our first look of the canal. More on canal later on. I take some time to explore the beauty of the beach and the club.

Some shots of the many....

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00123.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00124.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00130.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00089.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 12:44   #142
Senior - BHPian

We settle down in a nearby gazebo. Wife gets busy in unpacking items. My daughter is too excited to jump into the water. I am also excited to see the huge shipping containers crossing from Red Sea to Mediterranean (at that point the traffic was from South to North) in a not so broad canal. The ships slowly sail through the canal. There is a pilot boat to guide the ships and clear the canal. There are people swimming, people in row boats catching fish and a ferry operating.

The Canal

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00058.jpg

Approaching Ship and Boys Ready to Jump

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00066.jpg

The Pilot Boat Moving to Guide the Ship
In the background, its a ferry to cross the canal.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00068.jpg

The Approaching Ship

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00070.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00080.jpg

Comes in Front.........

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00082.jpg

Gone.....!!!

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00088.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 13:03   #143
Senior - BHPian

Daughter is getting impatient and eager to jump in the water. So, we change to swim suits and get in the water. We play around in water, make sand castles and watch the ships passing by after a gap of 10-15 mins.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00078.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00107.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00146.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00148.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00162.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00166.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00167.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 13:16   #144
Senior - BHPian

Some information...

BTW, Suez Canal also separates African Continent from Asia.

Asia From Africa

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00056.jpg

The water on the right side of small sand bump is Lake Timsah drawing its waters from the canal.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00075.jpg

The sand dunes on the opposite side.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00131.jpg

The War Memorial Built in the memory of Egyptian soldiers who laid down their lives in the 1973 war. Its located on the Asian side (Sinai).

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00133.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 13:22   #145
Senior - BHPian

We are in the waters and beating the heat. The crowd is less being a working day and working hours. I catch some pics as my daughter is busy swimming and playing with her beach ball.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00151.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00154.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00159.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 13:42   #146
Senior - BHPian

I am bored. I leave my daughter under the care of wife. I set out to talk with people. The first one who caught my eye was a man busy in fishing. I approach him and we exchange greetings. Wheeeww......he has the first catch of the day. He is excited. I would have caught some more pics. But he told me that photography in this area is discouraged. Not exactly prohibited. But some body appearing too keen on the pics may attract some inquiry/investigation. I did not have any such plan esp being a foreigner. I used my camera carefully there after.

The Catch and a Crossing Ship in the Background

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00183.jpg

He introduced me to a bunch of boys who go in their boats with face masks, jump deep inside the canal and catch the starfishes by hand. There were almost 20 starfishes lying on the boat. One star fish LE 5/-. You can get prepared in the club restaurant and eat or dry it up and use for decoration. Both options were not my cup of tea. I just hold one of the fish to get the feeling. My daughter too joins me. very excited to see a live (almost dying) starfish.

Upside Down

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00186.jpg

Up Side Up...On the Sand

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00189.jpg

As soon as I put the fish on sand to catch a pic. The boy jumps to pick it up else it gets washed in the water and he loses 5LE.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:23   #147
BHPian

Tarueanbull. Excellent photos of that historical canal and also useful info about it. Those canal/beach side pics are very inviting. Keep them coming.
Old 6th July 2010, 14:42   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Tarueanbull. Excellent photos of that historical canal and also useful info about it. Those canal/beach side pics are very inviting. Keep them coming.
Thanks for the motivation.

Yes, the place is beautiful. At the other two canal cities i.e. Port Said and Suez you can see huge number of ships lined up for getting into the canal. However, here they quietly passby.

Yes..more pics coming up.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:04   #149
Senior - BHPian

Here are some ships crossing the canal. Most of them loaded, few empty. They were so quite that you would not know a ship is passing by. Can not see a ship sailing by so close.

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00081.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00083.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00140.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00177.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00180.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 16:37   #150
Senior - BHPian

I am working on a video of the ship crossing at the canal which I will post later on.

We were pretty tired by about 4pm. We packed our stuff. I was disappointed to know that there was nothing else to visit in Ismailia. We left at 5pm finally from Ismailia. The drive was longer this time as there were evening jams specially in Cairo. We finally managed to reach back at 7PM.

Cost of taxi : LE 400 + LE 30 (Baksheesh). I found it to be slightly expensive and not the best was to go to Ismailia if one has to see only the Canal.

Here are some pics which I captured on my way back.

Ismailia Taxi in Orange

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00209.jpg

Ismailia Mango Shop on the Roadside

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00215.jpg

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00216.jpg

Ripe Pumpkins

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc00218.jpg
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks