Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 18:50   #181
Senior - BHPian

Very amazing child. You gotta be proud man. I too always want my daughter to be a good human being first. Well, you seem to be on the right track. Very thoughtful of your daughter.
Old 27th July 2010, 09:43   #182
Senior - BHPian

@safedrive, damu, TB,

i hope the similar sensitivity persists once she grows into an adult.

@damu, i also had similar emotions on the other side of the yahoochat

I was not thinking of sharing this incidence, but the waiting time at the cycle repair shop made me think more about the fact that there are so many people who lack the needed basic support towards survival, food, shelter, clothing, education, sustainable jobs in India.

Some statistics say still about 50%+ population of India is below the poverty line. Some statistics say India has the most number of millioners in the world. These two are constrasting. if people demonstrate a bit more sensitivity towards the real needy, the world would be so much better.

The real reason to share this is to sensitize my fellow BHPians about this another world around us. If each one of us manage to have one less weeked trip in a year...one more poor kid can go to school during the entire year.

just think about it.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:17   #183
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The cycle story is a reason why it's still raining in the world. There are still good people left! I've read such things only in e-mail forwards and chicken soup books. Reading similar stuff in real life of people I know for real is very inspiring.
I
My wife bought my daughter a tricycle after much deliberation. When she used to go down to play with other kids, she used to go and touch their cycles which lay unattended. Immediately, those kids used to come running to snatch the cycle, or push my daughter. I didn't want her to learn these kinds of nasty behaviour. I wanted my daughter to learn to share. So my wife and I are very apprehensive of letting her amidst those kids who might be a wrong inspiration for her. So we are now teaching her a game of give and take now. Difficult formative years.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:25   #184
Senior - BHPian

Star, credit goes to her parents who grew her in such a way that she's a very sensible child. This is a rare character to find in today's kids who are not ready to share even a toy with friends.

Wishing your angel all the best in her life...I'm sure she would get all this love in return from others!
Old 27th July 2010, 18:10   #185
BHPian

Hi Starvegabond,
Just started viewing this TL. Looks really good with 5 star rating and all. Let me check it out and will then comment accordingly.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:05   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
So we are now teaching her a game of give and take now. Difficult formative years.
This is important. apart from give and take, you must also teach how to arrive at "a decision" (after analysis) and also "assertively communicate"
these are the two skills that must be taught in the first few years of life.
Assertive is being confident and firm and not aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Wishing your angel all the best in her life...I'm sure she would get all this love in return from others!
Thanks very much jacs, all good things return to the originator any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi Starvegabond,
Just started viewing this TL. Looks really good with 5 star rating and all. Let me check it out and will then comment accordingly.
Thanks Sami316 for your interest. Look forward to your comments.
Old 30th July 2010, 01:09   #187
Senior - BHPian

Today (in fact yesterday 29th July) was a unique day..

I spent a day (in fact major part of the day) without Mobile Phone and Car.

This was the first time i had forgotten my phone at home in about 10 years (& over a dozen different handsets). I realized it after driving midway from home to Honda Service station where i had to leave my car for the service.

Day before yesterday (28th July), I had a discussion with my wife that if loose my phone then what i will do as i do not rememebr my wife's mobile number or my home landline number.

I had an experience within 24 hours of that discussion

1. I could not remember the phone numbers
2. i could not call my own number as it had drained the battery

After leaving the car at the service station, i felt that i am back to those pre 1999 years, being a person on the street without a phone, without a transport.

My woman-friday came to my rescue, by 11:30 PM, I had a mail in my in-box stating that her number is such and such.

I promptly called up from the office, asked her to charge my phone and mail me whenever there is a missed call. From 11:30 till 4 PM, there were about 8-10 e-mails stating who had called. Poor girl, she had become my telephone operator

Mobile Phones have simplified several things for us, but also have complicated several things.

i am sure there will many like me who can not remember the phone numbers, i have over 1000 numbers in my phone. I can not remember all, i shoiuld certainly try to remember a few...to go back to pre-1999 days when i remembered several phone numbers just like that.

i found the whole experience very funny and felt a bit like crippled.

Has any one of the readers/fellow BHPians gone through such an experience off late ?

Last edited by StarVegabond : 30th July 2010 at 01:14.
Old 30th July 2010, 01:37   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
i am sure there will many like me who can not remember the phone numbers, i have over 1000 numbers in my phone. I can not remember all, i shoiuld certainly try to remember a few...to go back to pre-1999 days when i remembered several phone numbers just like that.
we used to remember the numbers as we had to dial them, and the sequence used to get registered. Now as we search using the name, and do not dial the number we tend not to remember the number.
However even at the mobile age, I remember few of the numbers.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:15   #189
Senior - BHPian

Yes. Firstly, it reminds me of pre 1999 days when I used to remember the landline numbers by heart and call from STD PCO. But not anymore. As I keep changing places so does the mobile numbers and frankly speaking I dont even know mine! Whenever Someone asks mine either I look in the mobile or ask him to give his so that I give a call.

BTW my wife has made my daughter learn my mobile number by heart. But I have never cared.

But for me a day without mobile would be just inconvenience and wont effect my work as such. It has happened few times but nothing alarming has happened except that wifey ended up ringing me and listening to my ring tone!
Old 30th July 2010, 12:18   #190
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I seldom call people. The only two persons I call are my mom and my grandma. So I remember their land lines by heard. Ofcourse I remember my wife's mobile number too. Never felt the need to remember any other number. I use my mobile more to play tom and jerry game during free time.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:58   #191
BHPian

I'll survive. I'm a regular at doing this. Not that I remember numbers but I survive.
Old 30th July 2010, 18:26   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Mobile Phones have simplified several things for us, but also have complicated several things.

i found the whole experience very funny and felt a bit like crippled.

Has any one of the readers/fellow BHPians gone through such an experience off late ?
Here in US every business locates a custmer by their phone number. I am so used to giving my numbers that I can not forget any. For my work I remember the toll free number to the operator who can connect to anybody else. problem solved

second thing is when we used calling cards for calling india, we had to dial the number everytime, that made me memorize india numbers as well. My father worked in deptt of telecom and he had this thing for memorizing numbers (long before digital devices came into existence), and I have caught some of that too.

But it reminds me of my myrtle beach vacation 2 years back when I forgot my laptop bag at home which had my phone charger, laptop, cameras, roughly all electronics. I shut down my mobile because I had to survive on the remaining charge. with no internet and no phone, that was the best vacation ever. ended up buying a nikon L6 from walmart for the pictures.
Old 30th July 2010, 18:36   #193
Team-BHP Support

The way I got my first mobile was by accident. I went with a friend for him to buy a mobile and ended up buying myself one.
The only reason was, I did not want a landline, as we used to change rented homes frequently.

But my usage of the cell was the same way as the landline. Every day I kept my cell at home and went to office.
Never ever carried my cell. Its only in the last two three years, I have done so. That also more so because of emails
and rest of the non-voice features! But since I wanted to be in control of my email, I did not opt for blackberry
(or as others say: crack berry).
Old 6th August 2010, 17:04   #194
Senior - BHPian

@SV, your last post was on 30/07 at 1.09 AM. Lost your MBA status thereafter...and hence no further posts? Just another small statistic

Not only was it thought provoking to read your posts - I am going to proclaim this as a 'LIFEOLOGUE' - the comments from fellow bhpians were great, in tune with your thoughts and facts.....

I am sure your daughter will turn out to be a wonderful person in future!

What a skilfully drafted restaurant business project report - now I know to whom to turn to, when I require something like that is to be done!!

There should be one more addition to the list of skills to be acquired by an MBA on - how to wash the dirty dishes and keep the kitchen clean all by oneself!!

A small value addition to the urad dhal grinding ceremony in wedding - it is the sisters of the bride and groom who assist them in the chore. Probably symbolising the need to take the help of others and become one in the family...
Old 6th August 2010, 18:37   #195
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Thanks for your comments, i had forgotten about this thread since last few days.

I have nothing to do for next 3 hours, on friday evening instead of having some good time, i am here at Delhi airport waiting for my delayed flight. I had hoped to be back home earlybut now i would reach home only by midnight. ..another 20 hour day for me.

I am already here since last 1 hour, took a while to locate a seat to park myself. Airport is buzzing with crowd and announcement just like Chariot festival in udupi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
However even at the mobile age, I remember few of the numbers.
Good for you, try not to forget those numbers. else you might end up like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
As I keep changing places so does the mobile numbers and frankly speaking I dont even know mine! Whenever Someone asks mine either I look in the mobile or ask him to give his so that I give a call.
You beat me here, I am not that bad, i remember my own mobile number for sure.

I see that you have been banned for repeated infractions. Mistakes do happen, This is a real Khatta thing happening to you. But don't worry.

I remember Mumbai police had invented a term called "Tadipaar" The history sheeters or chronic defaulters used to be sent away for specified period so that they cause no harm. The person who got "Tadipaar"ed can return to his home/town after the specified time is over.

I am sure, you will come back after specified time and start afresh.
may be next time be a bit more careful, what you type here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I seldom call people.
I use my mobile more to play tom and jerry game during free time
You are a lucky guy for not requiring to call anyone frequently.
some mortals like me can not afford not to call people.
Occupational Hazaar i would say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
I'll survive. I'm a regular at doing this. Not that I remember numbers but I survive.
Survival of the fittest..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Here in US every business locates a custmer by their phone number. I am so used to giving my numbers that I can not forget any. For my work I remember the toll free number to the operator who can connect to anybody else. problem solved
May be in future our mobile number or e-mail ID would become us
just like some of those sci-fi movies tell us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The way I got my first mobile was by accident. I went with a friend for him to buy a mobile and ended up buying myself one.
That is how many people bought mobiles including yours truely way back in 1999.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
@SV, your last post was on 30/07 at 1.09 AM. Lost your MBA status thereafter...and hence no further posts? Just another small statistic
There should be one more addition to the list of skills to be acquired by an MBA on - how to wash the dirty dishes and keep the kitchen clean all by oneself!!

A small value addition to the urad dhal grinding ceremony in wedding - it is the sisters of the bride and groom who assist them in the chore. Probably symbolising the need to take the help of others and become one in the family...
My MBA days got over end of may itself, i have been using the same thread to share some more meetha (or khatta) happenings.

I fully agree with the two observations made by you listed above.

BTW, thanks on behalf of my daughter for your blessings for her future.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 6th August 2010 at 18:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks