Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2010, 15:53   #136
Senior - BHPian

Nice snaps star, i really enjoyed the marriage thingy since there was a similiar one attended last year.
Old 16th June 2010, 16:04   #137
BHPian

Starvegabond, something or the other in your travelogue relates to all of us. Have enjoyed your narration, pictures and the humble way of conveying your ideas and little things in day to day life ! Please continue.

Have you visited Sri Durga Parameshwari temple at Ambalapady ? If not, do visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
In the first pic,
is it power station at the left top corner of the pic?
Yes, that's the Nagarjuna Thermal Power Station at Nandikur, near Padubidre on NH17. The first unit of 600 MW was started on 3rd June.

Suzlon also has a windmill fan blade manufacturing unit at Padubidre.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:33   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
The long stretch of the sand reminded me the beach of Diveagar and Shiroda.

In the first pic,
is it power station at the left top corner of the pic?
I have been to Diveagar beach, it is also one of the best beaches i have been to. I have never been to Shiroda beach.

I think roamingrao replied to your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Nice snaps star, i really enjoyed the marriage thingy since there was a similiar one attended last year.
Marriages are made in heaven is a proverb. If we really follow what these rituals teach us the proverb will be true. Marriages are moments of immense happiness, i generally do not miss an opportunity to attend a wedding of the near/dear ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Starvegabond, something or the other in your travelogue relates to all of us. Have enjoyed your narration, pictures and the humble way of conveying your ideas and little things in day to day life ! Please continue.

Have you visited Sri Durga Parameshwari temple at Ambalapady ? If not, do visit.

Yes, that's the Nagarjuna Thermal Power Station at Nandikur, near Padubidre on NH17. The first unit of 600 MW was started on 3rd June.

Suzlon also has a windmill fan blade manufacturing unit at Padubidre.
Thanks for relating to the story, Thanks for your appreciation.

I will certainly plan to visit the Ambalapady temple next time when i am near by Udupi.

Moving further with the story..

29th May was a relaxing day, we did not go anywhere but stayed at home.
Good thing was my brother, his wife and their son had also come for the wedding on 28th from Bangalore and they completed "my parent's family"

One can imagine the happiness of the grandparents when they have both their grand children are home. My brother's son is 3+ years old now.

The whole house was the canvas or play ground for these two kids. The boy exactly trying to emulate the elder sister was the highlight of the stay.

Grandparents proudly took them around to temples, to neighbors, "show and tell" about them to who ever came home those few days.

Abundant pride and joy is what this is called. Bliss...what more one want ?

I am attaching two pictures here which show the innocent fun and joy.
Similar joy could be seen on grand parents face as well, but i do not have the photograph to prove it.

#333 Re-grouping after a brief fight
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-munnu-deva.jpg

#335 winning team in a UNO cards game.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-munnu-deva-ii.jpg

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th June 2010 at 17:39.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:10   #139
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Dear StarVegabond,
Somehow missed this thread earlier and discoverd it just today. Finished it in a single sitting. There is something about you and your style of narration that touches the soul. Thanks for making my day.
Regards
SDP
Old 16th June 2010, 20:09   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Dear StarVegabond,
Somehow missed this thread earlier and discoverd it just today. Finished it in a single sitting. There is something about you and your style of narration that touches the soul. Thanks for making my day.
Regards
SDP

My pleasure SDP, I am very happy and honored when you say that i made your day. By saying this you made my day.

Moving forward with the story

One of my first cousin's son (my maternal uncle' grand son) was a very smart but naughty boy. He was studying in a govt school near Kundapur where my maternal uncle, his son and family live.

Few years ago we learn that this child has been admitted to some Gurukul.
We were very sorry that such a young boy should stay away from his parents and home. Since then we never met the boy even though we used to visit their homes atleast twice a year. The aspiration to meet
the boy and see his gurukul was increasing year after year.

This year we met the boy along with his parents at the wedding on 28th. Surprise..Surprise.. the boy has grown into a fine young man and interactions told me he is very intelligent too.

We were told that he would return to Gurukul next day as the schools would start from 30th. On enquiry, we learn that his Gurukul is at Hariharapura, near to Agumbe, We were planning to drive through Agumbe, hence decided to pay a visit to this much heard about Gurukul.

So we reached the Gurukul on 30th May morning. We were given a reference of the local administrator by my cousin who had called them and informed that we would be coming over.

On our way we took some pictures at Agumbe

#336 Someshwar Town
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-agumbe-01.jpg

#337 Entering Agumbe town..i would like to know it as Malgudi.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-agumbe-02.jpg

#338 some milestones
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-agumbe-03.jpg

#339 Previous day i had visited their website and gained a first impression how the place will look like.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-gurukul-01.jpg

#340 Entrance of the Gurukul
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-gurukul-02.jpg

#341 some of the motivational books about the freedom fighters, national heros etc.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-gurukul-03.jpg

#342 Shivaji and the Notice board..must haves in any school
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-gurukul-04.jpg

#343 This explains the concept of Gurukul in Kannada language. Basically it clarifies what Gurukul is and What it is not. The main point is it is not like any other school.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-gurukul-05.jpg

#344 This board talks about the 5 fundamental of education viz Veda (Ancient knowhow) Vijnana (Modern Science), Yoga (Awareness about self), Krishi (Argiculture..fundamental science), Kala-Kaushal (Arts and crafts) and what bad habits one should keep away from
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-gurukul-06.jpg

#345 This board talks about what values one should cultivate viz. Individual, Human, Educational, Social, National, Family, Ethical, Caltural and spiritual.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-gurukul-07.jpg

It took me about 30 minutes to translate the three boards and explain it to my wife and daughter. I will try to do the translation and upload for non kannada readers in due course.

Meanwhile the administrator joined us and took us on a tour of the Gurukul.

Here is the virtual tour http://www.prabodhinigurukula.org/

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th June 2010 at 20:13.
Old 16th June 2010, 20:21   #141
MX6
Senior - BHPian

This gurukula at hariharapura is new to me. I've been to hariharapura scores of times. Never knew this existed! Time for another trip.
And go to Ambalpady temple on a Friday. Especially when the priest transforms to an oracle it becomes special. It's even better if you go down there on a friday during Nagamandala. That place transforms magically. Off late, your thread is becoming like kuch khatta and bahut kuch meetha!
Old 16th June 2010, 22:23   #142
Senior - BHPian

#346 Administrator explained us the layout of the school, Gurukul is in the shape of octagon, each branch hosting a key function of the school viz, Hostel, Kitchen+Store room, Dining Room, Music Room, Computer room, Staff room+Administration room, Classes+Discussion rooms
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-346-layout-gurukul.jpg

#347 center of the octagon is a garden + prayer hall
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-347-center-octagon.jpg

#348 Prayer hall
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-348-prayer-hall.jpg

#349 surrounding garden and lawn, one can see solar panels over each room, which provides electricity to the rooms below
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-349-sourounding-garden-one-can-see-solar-panels-electricity.jpg

#350 all gods are one
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-350-all-gods-one.jpg

#351 Music class
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-351-music-class.jpg

#352 Kitchen : most ingredients used are grown in and around gurukul
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-352-kitchen-most-ingrediants-grown-around-gurukul.jpg

#353 A lesson in tunneling dug by the students
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-353-lesson-tunneling.jpg

#354 Tunnel entry
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-354-tunnel-entry.jpg

#355 Tunnel exit
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-355-tunnel-exit.jpg

#356 A lesson about pyramid, inside a pyramid
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-356-lesson-about-pyramid.jpg

#357 A temple and the Krishna
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-357-temple-krishna.jpg

#358 Football court and the Goshala cluster
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-358-foot-ball-court-goshala.jpg

#359 Jack fruit tree
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-359-jack-fruit-tree.jpg

#360 Aayurveda garden
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-360-aayurveda-garden.jpg

#361 Cow shed or Goshala
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-361-cow-shed-goshala.jpg

#362 Gobar Gas Plant
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-362-gobar-gas-plant.jpg

#363 A visit to Goshala and some lessons
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-363-visit-goshale-some-lessons.jpg

#364 Guest House for visiting parents
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-364-guest-house.jpg

#365 More guest rooms
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-365-more-guest-rooms.jpg

#366 Hanging Bridge constructed to cross the Tunga river. During rainy season, the water level is at the second Plinth-piller from the bottom
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-366-hanging-bridge.jpg

#367 Dear ones on the hanging bridge
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-367-dear-ones-hanging-bridge.jpg

#368 Details about Hanging bridge
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-368-details-about-hanging-bridge.jpg

#369 Tunga river and the crossing on food prior to the hanging bridge
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-369-tunga-river.jpg

#370 clock being run from the energy generated by Gomutra
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-370-clock-being-run-energy-generated-go-mutra.jpg

#371 children learning to serve themselves and guests
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-371-children-learning-serve-themselves-guests.jpg

#372 Children and all praying before eating food
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-372-prayer-prior-eating-food.jpg

#373 Gurukul with a different view/perspective
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-373-gurukul-different-view.jpg

We interacted with few students inlcuding my dear nephew, few school staffs, few parents. We were very happy that our newphew is growning into a confident, self assured young man. He is currently in 10sth standard.

His next vacation is Diwali festival. He wanted to visit Bangalore during the vacation. He promised to would visit our home.

We spent about 4 hours there, When we drove out it was just past 3 PM.
It was indeed some of the best 4 hours spent during the whole summer.

Once we exit the Hariharpura, we started driving towards Jayapura. The discussion moved towards the systems followed at Gurukula Vs the conventional schools. We both knew that discussion/debate was never going to be ending. Only proof is when these kids grow up and be successful in the community and society we will come to know how good would be the school, the teachers and how well placesd is the confidence of the parents to invest in such a system.

Soon some breathtaking landscapes drew our attention.

Coming up concluding part of our journey towards Home and to the end of this thread.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th June 2010 at 22:26.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:01   #143
Senior - BHPian

Home Run was just what we wanted after a two months long hectic game.
We drove through Jayapura-Chikmagaluar-Belur-Hassan-CR Pattana-Kunigal-Nelamangala-Yeshwantpur-Hebbal-Yelahanka.

What was enchanting was the landscapes throughout this journey, rains made the difference.

#374 some wonderful landscapes
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-374-wonderful-landscapes.jpg

#375 soon it started raining
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-375-soon-started-raining.jpg

# 376 a farm house and a machaan inthe middle of the paddy fields
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-376-fram-house-bang-int-he-center-paddy-fields.jpg

#377 you will never what you see the next
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-377-you-never-know-what-you-will-see-next.jpg

#378 a very occational traffic
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-378-very-occational-traffic.jpg

#379 a true village, there are 600000+ such villages in India
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-379-true-village-there-600k-such-villages-country.jpg

# 380 mera wala red
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-380-mera-wala-red.jpg

#381 inviting roads
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-381-inviting-roads.jpg

#382 a driver's delight
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-382-drivers-delight.jpg

#383 the vehicle is owner's delight
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-383-owners-delight.jpg

#384 a dream house
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-384-dream-house.jpg

# 385 magnificient malenadu
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-385-magnificient-malenadu.jpg

#386 there is some traffic too
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-386-some-traffic-too.jpg

#387 a frm with a great back drop
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-387-farm-great-back-drop.jpg

#388 near Hassan it started raining again
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-388-near-hassan-started-raining-again.jpg

#389 Lighting strikes some where between Hassan and Kunigal
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-389-lightening-strikes.jpg

The last 30 KMs (from Nelamangala to Yelahanka) took 3 hours due to heavy blocking traffic, rains and few brokedown vehicles and we eventually reached home by 10:30 PM.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:18   #144
Senior - BHPian

Before i sign off this thread and story.. Acknowledgments

* Thanks to the mango which went into my stomach and eventually convinced me to write this story.

* Thanks to all the readers, there are 6600+ views till now, i am sure there will be more

* Thanks to about 28 readers who have left comments and a note of appreciation, few have asked questions that have made me think and write more. I am sure there will be more comments in future, many thanks to those as well in advance

* Thanks to 7 readers who have rated this thread/story. This is like paying in Kind as well as Cash. I sincerely appreciate your gesture.

* Thanks to my daughter who has been missing her play time with me during last 2 weekends as i was busy writing this story, She is the person who is the most happy that this is over.

* Thanks to my wife who made this bachelor summer happen in first place

* One more thanks to my wife who helped me upload several posts since last 3 days. Without her help this story would have dragged another couple of weeks minimum. She ensured that i write the description and select/number the photographs on Sunday and Tuesday (this week) evening and uploaded it from home the next day on my behalf.

* This cartoon from Zoo-Zoo tells in a nutshell my situation at this right moment.
Story of a Barbeque Summer : Kuch Khatta Kuch Meetha.-star-spending-time-tbhp-stary-night.jpg

Thank you, Good Night

The END

Last edited by StarVegabond : 16th June 2010 at 23:32.
Old 16th June 2010, 23:29   #145
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Small correction. It's not 6 voters. It's seven including me.
Old 17th June 2010, 02:10   #146
BHPian

What a great read... It brought nostalgic memories of my years in Kundapur and Manipal during the early 80s. Thanks again.
Old 17th June 2010, 07:46   #147
Senior - BHPian

star, i like the narration and pictures you get to support it. esp, the zoo zoo!!! superb.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:51   #148
Senior - BHPian

@star,
thanks for this thread.
As someone already mentioned, this story relates more or less to everyone.
Old 17th June 2010, 11:21   #149
BHPian

Somehow this post didn't get published last night, posting it once more (browser back button was saviour )

Hei Star, would have been happier if it hadn't ended and continued for ever. But i guess all good things has to end somewhere.

While reading this
Quote:
Good thing was my brother, his wife and their son had also come for the wedding on 28th from Bangalore and they completed "my parent's family"

One can imagine the happiness of the grandparents when they have both their grand children are home. My brother's son is 3+ years old now.

The whole house was the canvas or play ground for these two kids. The boy exactly trying to emulate the elder sister was the highlight of the stay.

Grandparents proudly took them around to temples, to neighbors, "show and tell" about them to who ever came home those few days.

Abundant pride and joy is what this is called. Bliss...what more one want ?

I am attaching two pictures here which show the innocent fun and joy.
Similar joy could be seen on grand parents face as well, but i do not have the photograph to prove it.
a mail which I have recently read came to my ind. Though it may not be related, thought of sharing with you and others.
Quote:
This was narrated at a Seminar recently on Human Relations :

Venkatesh Balasubramaniam (who works for IIT) describes how his gesture of booking an air ticket for his father, his maiden
flight, brought forth a rush of emotions and made him (Venkatesh) realize that how much we all take for granted when it comes to our parents.

My parents left for our native place on Thursday and we went to the airport to see them off. In fact, my father had never
traveled by air before, so I just took this opportunity to make him experience the same. In spite of being asked to book tickets by train, I got them tickets on xxx Airways. The moment I handed over the tickets to him, he was surprised to see that I had booked them by air. The excitement was very apparent on his face, waiting for the time of travel. Just like a school boy, he was preparing himself on that day and we all went to the airport, right from using the trolley for his luggage, the baggage check-in and asking for a window seat and waiting restlessly for the security check-in to happen. He was thoroughly enjoying himself and I, too, was overcome with joy watching him experience all these things.

As they were about to go in for the security check-in, he walked up to me with tears in his eyes and thanked me. He became very emotional and it was not as if I had done something great but the fact that this meant a great deal to him. When he said thanks, I told him there was no need to thank me. But later, thinking about the entire incident, I looked back at my life. As a child, how many dreams our parents have made come true. Without understanding the financial situation, we ask for cricket bats, dresses, toys, outings, etc. Irrespective of their affordability, they have catered to all our needs. Did we ever think about the sacrifices they had to make to accommodate many of our wishes? Did we ever say thanks for all that they have done for us? Same way, today when it comes to our children, we always think that we should put them in a good school. Regardless of the amount of donation, we will ensure that we will have to give the child the best, theme parks, toys, etc. But we tend to forget that our parents have sacrificed a lot for our sake to see us happy, so it is our responsibility to ensure that their dreams are realized and what they failed to see when they were young. It is our responsibility to ensure that they experience all those and their life is complete.

Many times, when my parents had asked me some questions, I have actually answered back without patience. When my daughter asks me something, I have been very polite in answering. Now I realize how they would have felt at those moments. Let us realize that old age is a second childhood and just as we take care of our children, the same attention and same care needs to be given to our parents and elders.Quality time and politely answering them with out making them wait is important. Now I realise that I must look at their eyes and answer them pleasantly and pretend to be reading papers and answer in mono syllables. Rather than my dad saying thank you to me, I would want to say sorry for making him wait so long for this small dream. I do realize how much he has sacrificed for my sake and I will do my best to give the best possible attention to all their wishes. Just because they are old does not mean that they will have to give up everything and keep sacrificing for their grandchildren also. They have wishes, too.

Last edited by arindamray : 17th June 2010 at 11:33. Reason: formatting the quoted mail
Old 17th June 2010, 11:40   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
a mail which I have recently read came to my ind. Though it may not be related, thought of sharing with you and others.

Let us realize that old age is a second childhood and just as we take care of our children, the same attention and same care
needs to be given to our parents and elders. Just because they are old does not mean that they will have to give up everything and keep sacrificing for their grandchildren also. They have wishes, too.

@arindamray,

Thanks for the attached mail, that will be eye opener for some modern busy souls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks