Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 10:19   #121
BHPian

Exxxxxcellent story Jay - three cheers and five stars.

The photography is just WOW! Seriously, have you bought a new camera or went on some photographer's steroid?!
The use of short "depth of field" (if that's what it's called) for the photos of the Water Pipe, Loaded Camel Cart, the Camel Cartel - just too good.
Looks like I need to jump in your car sometime soon.
Old 28th April 2010, 13:12   #122
BHPian

WOW.
Hooked, logged and stumped. You my sir are a legend.
The Chakadas, the coastal roads, the food, the endless salt fields made my day.

I thought a guide book would do justice on my trip to Gujarat but i think i'l have to take print outs of this thread before leaving. Planning a road trip by the end of this year for a marriage in Ahmedabad, but thats just an excuse to see what you saw here. Kudos.
Old 28th April 2010, 19:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for appreciating. The travelogue included both mine and my brothers pics mixed up. Most of the pics you all liked were shot by Jatin since im still learning. Nevertheless, the pleasure of just being able to go there cannot be expressed. I hope this serves as inspiration to more people to make this trip. Its differently beautiful. The place is safe, even in the interiors. In cooler weather, it will be even more enjoyable.

Accomodation is available and inexpensive. All places we got ac double rooms within Rs.750 - 1000. Food though is a concern, since not many dhabas(good excuse for picnics). But fortunately the distances in between places is quite short and can be well planned by those travelling with family.

We left out on lots of places of tourist interest in all the towns, since we were just on a drive. Porbandar, for example has lots of things and places to see. You can spend a whole day at Junagadh, fort, museum, etc, Mandvi, has the shipyards, beaches and palace. Gir sanctuary will take a whole day. Diu will take a whole day, watersports, beach etc and of course the scenic drive.
Its a fun relaxed trip that covers, places of religious interest, fun beaches, exotic beach stretches, history, etc.

@Sudev, could you elaborate on the route to go thru the Little Rann. A map or something. I would love to drive through the salt flats in entirety.

@ADC > Im hoping to be able to do a lot of trips this year. The lesser i discuss, the more im able to tripp. Guess im jinxed.
Old 28th April 2010, 21:03   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Attached is GPS track in Garmin format across Littel Rann. This track was used by us in Desert Storm 2009 to cross from West to East. On the western side there the approach is to leave Express way near Adesar. On the eastern side the track ends at Jinjuwada, near Dasada.

Take care that the track keep changing with every rainfall / water logging and so you will have actual track running slightly away in parallel. Things to watch out is wet patches/quicksand and occasional ruts.

Check with local Jeep guys if the Little Rann is crossable and you will get the latest position. If it is dry you can zoom across it even in a car as the surface is hard and flat.

LittleRann.gdb
Old 29th April 2010, 15:50   #125
Team-BHP Support

Good one there, Jay. You Safari owners take the TV ad "Reclaim Your Life" way too seriously!

Where is the infamous Alang shipyard, by the way? Close to Jamnagar?
Old 29th April 2010, 18:19   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Good one there, Jay. You Safari owners take the TV ad "Reclaim Your Life" way too seriously!

Where is the infamous Alang shipyard, by the way? Close to Jamnagar?
Its close to bhavnagar. And its very famous of furniture made from ships scrap.
Old 29th April 2010, 21:24   #127
Senior - BHPian

Alang is on NH 8F between Bhavnagar and Talaja. Its famous also for the ship breaking yard which is a place you might not want to visit. All kinds of ships some containing hazardous materials like Asbestos are broken down here.

When you have a vehicle that chews roads more comfortably than you chew gum, it worth giving 'reclaiming life' a shot!!

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 29th April 2010 at 21:26.
Old 29th April 2010, 22:32   #128
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
You stand there and experience nothingness in the middle of nothingness. Its you the air and the earth. And If you stand there for a while you will feel your existence vanish .You will feel as worthless as that speck of salt you stand on. Humility to its utter core. And one thing you learn for sure in the Rann. Thats – Respect. It sustains you as you stand on it with the enormous potential of ensuring that you don’t make it out of there alive.
Beautifully put. I get those kind of feelings when I look at enormity and emptiness of nature. We are just a tiny spec of the cosmic dust that spreads the cosmos.
Old 12th May 2010, 18:23   #129
BHPian

excellent Rann pictures
Old 17th May 2010, 19:58   #130
Senior - BHPian

Thanks..!!
I was going through the travelogue again and realised that there is an overdose of some pics which were repeated. Will correct on my next travelogue in June !!

Thanks everyone for appreciating.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 4th June 2010, 14:39   #131
BHPian

Its actually Narara bet or narara marine national park. Been there in Jan 2010 and is an absolute beauty of a place, untouched! Had the rare opportunity to touch an octopus and a puffer fish!

Those things are called 'jhakda' locally. You see them all across the saurashtra streach. Seem very reliable to the farmers, no wonder they keep their eyes shut and drive!

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th June 2010 at 15:05. Reason: Back to back post, please EDIT the original post instead while editing within 15 mts. Thanks
Old 4th June 2010, 15:22   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Its actually Narara bet or narara marine national park. Been there in Jan 2010 and is an absolute beauty of a place, untouched! Had the rare opportunity to touch an octopus and a puffer fish!

Those things are called 'jhakda' locally. You see them all across the saurashtra streach. Seem very reliable to the farmers, no wonder they keep their eyes shut and drive!

"Chakda" i guess and not "jhakda" ?

where is Narara bet ?
Old 4th June 2010, 15:38   #133
BHPian

Enroute to Jamnagar we turn right to Narada marine national park. No one there!

Jay, trust me you missed this particular part! I faced the same situate, but had much at stake as i was coming back to Hyderabad the next day and didnt really want to miss Narara bet. I saw an old man sitting in a Kiosk at the entrance to the marine part, and upon prodding he asked if i pay Rs.100 he will show me around. It turned out that he is the only authorized guide to the national park. Here are a few snap of this beautiful coral reef and the marine wildlife.Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-1.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-2.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-3.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-4.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-5.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-6.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-7.jpg

Coastal Gujarat and the Great Rann of Kutch-8.jpg
Old 4th June 2010, 15:45   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
"Chakda" i guess and not "jhakda" ?

where is Narara bet ?
wifey did tell me that!
Narara is about 50 KM from Jamnagar, on the way to Dwaraka. Jamnagar>SH6 towards dwarka>head 34KM straight>take a right towards Vadinar (Essar refinery)>there are ample of sign boards pointing to Narara bet.
Old 4th November 2012, 21:21   #135
BANNED

Re: Diu

Quote:
About Diu.
Its also the second place in Gujarat where alcohol is not prohibited.
Diu is NOT Gujarat

Quote:
About Diu.
Evidence of British occupation everywhere you turn your head.[ATTACH]
Not British, Portuguese.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks