Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 02:57   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiknov View Post
I've booked the PWD guest house for the 24th april weekend. My wife isn't too keen on a budget acco but i am. Can you please describe the place a little in terms of facilitiesp
PWD's are basic and you should have your sleeping bag and sheets. But generally located at fantastic places and total VFM

Quote:
Also what road should i take from ambala to skip chandigarh? Does it save time/distance?
Continue on NH1 towards Ludhiana. Just before (<100meter) toll plaza at Shambhu there is a road going right to Banur-Kharar. At Kharar you will join NH21 connecting Chandigarh to Ropar (Roopnagar). This is shorter too.
Old 19th April 2010, 10:37   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiknov View Post
I've booked the PWD guest house for the 24th april weekend. My wife isn't too keen on a budget acco but i am. Can you please describe the place a little in terms of facilities. Our 5 month old daughter will be along with us. (She travels in her car seat and has grown a liking to my red elephant, going by the smile she flashes moment her eyes fall on the bright red color). The toilet facilities should be a little hygenic. If you got some pictures please share, otherwise i fully trust your descriptive skills. What is the scope of getting a better hotel in Kothi itself (i like the peace and quiet) just in case the Guest house is rejected. How much are the charges for the PWD guest house room as we've just called some aquaintance to book it for us and dont know the tarrif?
Also what road should i take from ambala to skip chandigarh? Does it save time/distance?
Kothi PWD rest house is decent. But carry your own sheets and blankets(golden rule for any hotel, even 5 star if possible).
For food and water, don't use PWD tank water(it had a musty smell due to unuse) but either go down to Yak Cafe(Best egg chowmein), or eat chicken at Sagoo cafe at kothi.

As for contigency plans, well Sagoo cafe has rooms for 1000-1200/night, but I am not sure if they will be available as the heat has made tourist rush peak before season.

Other than that, there is a water crossing which comes on the way to PWD, but don't worry, even cars manage it(pics in my may 2009 manali thread).

Behind the PWD is a camp site(private operator), and right above the camp side is a dirt trail(safari can manage) which goes to unseen forests. Do try that(4wd needed).

That said, do not focus too much on snow, there is quite a bit of meadows etc., to explore on the Kothi Gulaba route, so basically you spend 1 day going to Lahaul, and 1 day exploring kothi and around or water rafting(I presume you have 4 days?)

As for the route, sudev has pretty much marked it out for you, but be careful on this route at night, road construction means a lot of debris on road.
It goes and meets Delhi-Ropar highway at Kharar.
Other than that, after kullu bypass you take a bridge to come back to left bank of beas. You can skip coming back, and follow the right bank road to manali as due to tourist rush and road work going on the main highway often sees 2-3 hour jams.
If you plan to go to Lahaul, get out of Kothi by 8am, because after 9-10am, there will be hordes of tourists going up the hills.
Old 19th April 2010, 12:38   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hai Tanveer,

Looks like you're hooked to the White Elephant and snow, you're putting the 4x4 to full use and I envy your proximity to the snow lines.

As usual, great compositions, great shots and nice wirte up that kicks. Loved the photos of the behemoths and start phtos. Keep them flowing and looking forward to more.

--Ramky
=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 19th April 2010 at 12:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks