Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2006, 14:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

To get to Shivanasamudram, you need to take the Bangalore-Kanakapura-Coimbatore road and keep looking to your left after the town Malavalli. It is around 7-8 km from Malavalli town if I am not mistaken. There is a signboard to Shivanasamudram on the left side of the road and keep following that.
Old 5th June 2006, 19:02   #17
DRC
BHPian

A better option is to drive in Mysore road till Maddur, then take a left deviation towards malavalli. and continue till you see
<= Shivanasamudra 2KM sign.

That way you get to enjoy breakfast in Kamat/coffee day (yes, these guys make very goodd breakfast). and also Maddur vada in Maddur Tiffanies... mmm mouth watering .

Also, dont miss Bhara chukki. To go here you have to crive further down the same road towards Kollegal, and after the bridge over cauvery river, you have to take a left turn. You will come around the other side of the Gagana chukki and driving further you will reach bara chukki, Here you can clim down and enjoy water not being dangerous
Old 5th June 2006, 19:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
A better option is to drive in Mysore road till Maddur, then take a left deviation towards malavalli. and continue till you see
<= Shivanasamudra 2KM sign.
Thats interesting... Can you tell how much more do we need to travel if we take this route... But I am sure that drive will be good if we follow this route.. At least till you drive on Mysore Road.
Old 5th June 2006, 19:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive
Thats interesting... Can you tell how much more do we need to travel if we take this route... But I am sure that drive will be good if we follow this route.. At least till you drive on Mysore Road.
B'lore till Maddur is around 80 km. From Maddur to Malavalli, if I am not mistaken, it should be around 40 km. From there, it is a few km. We are looking at around 110-120 km from Bangalore if we go this route I guess.
Old 5th June 2006, 20:45   #20
DRC
BHPian

Yes, Nnot much of a diff... About 10 KMs.

Maddur to Malavalli is about 32 KMs.. and Bluff is about 8 kms from malavalli.

Somebody mentioned a T- junction, that is malavalli town..

Between Maddur and M alavalli, you will find bullock carts carrying Sugar cane. You can politely ask them for a Juicy one and they will be happy to give you one.
Old 5th June 2006, 22:44   #21
BHPian

Hey this place loooks awesome, heard of this place but never visited. Plz tell me how abt the trip if we r going on August?
Old 6th June 2006, 10:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_bug
Hey this place loooks awesome, heard of this place but never visited. Plz tell me how abt the trip if we r going on August?
Best time to visit is From August to October, This is the time when Cauvery flows to maximum.( or I must say overflows )
Old 25th July 2006, 22:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Alght Guys,
I was wondering about the water flow at this time,
I'm planning to leave tomorrow morning, either to Nandi Hills or this Gaganchukki Falls, I had been to Nandi Hills 4-5 times before this so was just looking for a new place this time.

Is it a good idea to check this place tomorrow, can I expect some water flow this time?
Old 26th July 2006, 11:39   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan
Alght Guys,
I was wondering about the water flow at this time,
I'm planning to leave tomorrow morning, either to Nandi Hills or this Gaganchukki Falls, I had been to Nandi Hills 4-5 times before this so was just looking for a new place this time.

Is it a good idea to check this place tomorrow, can I expect some water flow this time?
This Sunday - (23rd July )I visited this place while coming back from Bangalore-ooty-mysore-Bangalore Trip. Flow of water is good.

Just a Suggustion: Don't take Kanakpura Road for going or coming back. Road condition is pathetic. Use Mysore Highway( around 80 Kms) and take a left from there.

Have a nice time
GD
Old 26th July 2006, 12:25   #25
BHPian

The best road towards falls is to take Mysore road. After maddur tiffany's take left turn after the bus stand and you need to pass Malavalli. After Malavalli for about 2-3 kms the road is really pathetic. And to mention the speed breakers (like Kumara parvata - KP), its very big. Twice my car got scarped underneath. But the drive you will really enjoy, if you still find time you can also visit Talakadu (its like Cauvery river flowing in between desert sand). Also this place is awesome. Do not miss this place. Talakadu - It can reached after crossing malavalli enroute to falls - need to take right deviation around 20kms.
Old 28th July 2006, 03:31   #26
BHPian

Just back from shivanasamudra and gaganchukki falls last nite....gorgeous...
Old 1st August 2006, 13:51   #27
BHPian

Barachukki also covered (pics)

Thanks to GreatDrive's travelogue and pics, a couple of my friends & I decided to head to Sivansamudra on an early Saturday drive.
We started from Banaswadi at about 05:30 in the morning went to pick a friend near Concorde Motors, Dairy circle & off we went... heading towards the newly laid Mysore-Bangalore highway (also termed as death trap by a few of us... :P). In no time we were cruising comfortably at speeds upto 110KMPH, neither the roads nor the car(Santro) inspire you to do any greater speeds. Stopped at the Lokaruchi Kamat
restaurant for some lip smacking breakfast by 7:30am and back on the highway in no time... Just couldn't sit there for any longer; the roads were just tooo tempting for me sit idle at the hotel.

We then came to the cross road near Maddur that leads to Mallavalli at about 8:45 or so, to my surprise even that strectch was good... But only till about 5kms into it and then all of us were like... "WHERE ON EARTH DID THE TARMAC DISSAPPEAR?"!!! The entire stretch (about 50kms) till the falls is totally pot-hole ridden or there is no road at all!

We first went to the Ganganachukki falls... The view from top was nothing short of being Awesome... Simply brilliant. Since we were the first one's to arrive, the whole place was just for us and we just sat there enjoying the cool breeze sweeping accross your face. This however didn't last for long... first it were the monkeys which started to...well monkeying around... then came the human form of them (kids from some school) . Thanks to them we decided to leave and head for Barachukki which is around 8 kms from there.

And this place was even better than the previous one... the climb down to the gorge, the different water falls there... it is the best way to spend your Saturday (better than the hangovers atleast).

We chose a trail which hardly had anybody on it and we were stumped at what was staring at us...

I am sorry that the camera we used doesn't do justice to the amazing place that we visited but... the place itself is highly recommended

Barachukki from top of the hill...

My friends near Gaganchukki (and the Monkey bus in the background)...

Me and my friend taking a Dip in the cold waters...

After all the that, we decide to climb back the hill... this was the most tiring part of the whole episode. We stand there in front of those huge steps and praying for a chopper to fly us back on top...

There is one other view point near the Darga (enroute to Barachukki from the Sivansamudra) which is also quite good... a few snaps of my car near the view point

(if you notice there is a small dent on the left quarter panel, yet to be fixed from an earlier "Incident" & WRC missing on the other side... 'cause I just got the right quarter panel fixed!!!)

We left to B'lore from there at around 2:30 and reached the ORR near Banshankri at 04:00 but took us another painstaking 1 1/2 hrs to reach Hormavu (final destination for Sat night)...

But it certainly was very relaxing and an awesome break from the daily grind... Try it as one day tour and I am sure you'll like... once advice... go prepared to get wet!!!

Last edited by Venom_rider : 1st August 2006 at 13:58.
Old 1st August 2006, 19:27   #28
BHPian

hi Venom Rider,
Thats a Good trip, I can understand the fun playing with flowing waters.
Never been to other side of Gaganchukki falls, but after seeing your snaps, It seems that I missed really a good place.

Drive from Maddur to Mallavalli is real pain, specially those Big spead breakers in Mallavalli
Old 1st August 2006, 20:10   #29
BHPian

Hi greatDrive,

Try visiting 'Gundal Dam' about 25 kms near to Bluff.
Directions: Bangalore - Maddur on Bangalore-Mysore Hwy, then left towards Malvalli, cross Bluff & go towards Kollegal. Take a left at the Government Hospital in Kollegal towards MM Hills. The road may not be great, drive about 15 kms & you will see directions to 'Gundal Dam'/"Gundal Jalashaya"
It is not sought out by Bangaloreans/Mysoreans, but you can find some venturesome localites during weekends. Nice view fro the top, on a clear day can see BR Hills too.
Happy Driving/Offroading
Old 2nd August 2006, 07:05   #30
BHPian

Hey greatDrive... I hit the bottom of the car on those damn speedbreakers near Mallavalli atleast twice. It really hurts to hear the sound of your car brushing against them...

NRKumar wish you had told us this before... Anyways we now have a new excuse to getaway this weekend too...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks