Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 16:32   #16
BHPian

D-day: 21st November 2009
I hadn’t fixed any particular time for starting our trip, as I wanted it to be more leisure trip than rushing through. On the previous night we had done all the packing and kept the vehicle loaded so that we need not take much time to start. That evening I get a call from my wife’s aunt informing me that she couldn’t get tickets to Madurai and asking will there be space for two more people in the car. Not to keep the old lady offended and to please my wife I said sure, why not? Your most welcome. So now it was a small detour from Piravom (my workplace) to Kaduthurathy on Ettumanur –Ernakulam Road. I told my wife that any time we wake up we would freshen up and leave.
As many first time travelers, the excitement of the trip had me looking out at the clock to see what time it is, I was still dreaming of what lay ahead when tiredness dampened the spirit of excitement with sleep. I woke up pretty early (for my timing) by 6.00, very fresh and fine. As I woke I looked at my wife and she was wide awake (she normally wakes up by 7.00AM), I looked at her and one thing that she said was “ lets leave”. I later asked her when she had woken up and she said 5.30 Am, I asked why so early? Really excited about the travel. I think even the kid was having the excitement, he normally wakes up at 8.00, but today by 6.30 AM, he was raring to go. So we leave by 8.00 AM.
Our first destination : Kaduthuruthy.
It was actually kind of good to take in our relatives also on the trip as our Uncle had spent many of his formative years in Madurai and knew his way around. So that gave me an advantage over our Google maps. After picking them up from their home headed straight to Ernakulam – ettumanur road, which I must mention is in excellent condition, which can get you trying to push the speed limits of the car.
The traffic is steadily picking up, enroute to Kottayam, we stopped for breakfast at Aryas, and after some mouth watering dosas, vadas and coffee we were well ahead on of our way. Soon we crossed kottayam, Kanjirapally and was moving towards Mundakayam , when my wife suddenly feels that she has forgotten something, now she is adamant to think about what it is when I ask her to get the camera ready as we are in time to see some great sceneries. Now with a very apologetic face she asks me not to get wild, angry (any other adjective signifying an emotion of discontentment), I left it back at home, I ask What? How could you? The whole idea was enjoying the nature and trying to get pictures. I am really sorry, please, my mood was out and I wanted to give her a mouthful when I realized I have her relatives in the vehicle.
I think that takes away half the pleasure of doing this trip or does it?
Majic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2009, 16:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi Majic, nice start to your travelogue. Waiting for more! Disappointed to know about your camera.
Old 24th November 2009, 17:09   #18
BHPian

Hey CL, thanks for the encouragement , hope i could frame something as good as what you have done.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:33   #19
BHPian

You are entering Ghat Section

You are entering Ghat Section: Please drive with care
That title was the sign that reminded that we are driving through the ghats. Actually I felt that it was similar to most roads that are in Kerala of which I have driven. After the initial outburst I ask her are you sure, she says yes that the camera was not taken, I said I checked and packed it earlier. She, unaware that I had charged the batteries had taken them for being recharged. So I asked her where the camera was? Are you sure that it is left back! Yes! She was really upset that she had spoiled my idea of taking pictures. Well I think there was no time to remorse over things already happened and will have to enjoy the rest of the trip. I told her no problem, we still have the mobile, but hope it would do some justice. She cheered up.
As soon as we start our ascent to the ghat roads, I inform my wife that to get the mobile ready so that we can take pictures, when all of a sudden it starts drizzling. Now that is what I call bad luck , first forgetting the camera and second the rain. I told my wife that may be we are not destined to take pictures after all. Well now all we could do was to enjoy the amazing beauty of the place through the car. Well to keep me cheered up, my wife started taking pictures using the mobile phone. But since it was drizzling most of the pictures were taken from the comfort of the car. Every view that we had was really very beautiful that words cannot describe it and neither could any photos that are taken.
One Masala Tea!
Nearing Vandiperiyar, my uncle informs that he needs to take a tea. I just smiled , I was sure this was coming , after passing through all those tea estates and not savoring it is like going all the way to China and not tasting any Chinese dishes. I asked him if a roadside tea shop would suffice, he affirmed the same. So just after Vandiperiyar we stop at a road side tea shop. I get out after taking order of how many cups, 4, ok. I approach the shop, thinking I am in Tamil Nadu, I ask for 4 cups in Tamil. The tea maker, seeing many of my likes, put the next question, masala or normal. I asked what’s the difference, Sir, only Rs.4/-. Ok he got the picture wrong I asked him in Malayalam , what is Masala tea? Having not had one till date I was more interested in checking it out, though I have taken ginger tea, thanks to my wife who takes in a lot of tips from the TV and can’t stop experimenting them on me.
He informs me, nothing special except that there are spices added and it would give a better flavour to the tea. Suddenly he strikes a bargain; I will give you one as sample if you like it you order for the rest. I agree (anything free is always welcome). One sip and I just say 4 more, I am definitely taking another helping. One sip and my wife is out of the car says one more for the kid, we had not introduced tea to him and I wasn’t sure whether he would drink. She starts out saying something this good we have to share it with him, and when we fed him I was really surprised that he drank it. In the mean time I give tea to my wife’s Uncle and Aunt and return by when my wife has already struck a conversation with the tea maker to know the recipe. She succeeds in getting it, for sure I am going to get Masala teas quite more. Anyone dropping to this part please do stop for this. The place is on right side after the Connermara Tea Sales Depot.

Will be posting the snaps from the next post onwards

Last edited by Majic : 25th November 2009 at 13:38.
Majic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2009, 10:49   #20
BHPian

Pictures

Some pictures taken, they are not exceptionally good Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos-image0334.jpg

Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos-image0336.jpg

Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos-image0345.jpg

Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos-image0346.jpg

Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos-image0347.jpg
Old 26th November 2009, 11:27   #21
BHPian

Hello! Is anyone reading this, do i need to continue with this??? I have more intresting things to come and also some photos, no encouragement is really depressing. So guys let me know!

Last edited by Majic : 26th November 2009 at 11:29.
Old 26th November 2009, 11:41   #22
BHPian

Yes Majic, please go ahead and post your remaining interesting pictures. BTW are these pictures from cell phone camera?

This is one of the nice roads where you enjoy scenic greenery. I'm eager to see them.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Majic, please do continue. We are all with you. Waiting for more pics. I too have tasted Masala Tea from Vandiperiyar's Wallardie Estate. I had the good fortune of staying there too! You must try the drive to Chenkara once from Wallardie. Absolutely wonderful vista all around!
Old 26th November 2009, 13:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Hi Majic, please do continue. We are all with you. Waiting for more pics. I too have tasted Masala Tea from Vandiperiyar's Wallardie Estate. I had the good fortune of staying there too! You must try the drive to Chenkara once from Wallardie. Absolutely wonderful vista all around!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Yes Majic, please go ahead and post your remaining interesting pictures. BTW are these pictures from cell phone camera?

This is one of the nice roads where you enjoy scenic greenery. I'm eager to see them.
Thanks akas, yes these photos are taken through my mobile, CL thanks for the encouragement would try going to Wallardie Estate the next time around, is this a private place that requires prior approvals.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
Thanks akas, yes these photos are taken through my mobile, CL thanks for the encouragement would try going to Wallardie Estate the next time around, is this a private place that requires prior approvals.
Hi Majic, there was one KSRTC bus from Wallardie to Chenkara. I went and returned in the same bus. Wallardie is on the left side just before reaching Kumily. And no permission is required for going to Chenkara through the estate.

Waiting for the next batch of pics!
Old 26th November 2009, 13:53   #26
BHPian

Hi magic waiting for your next set of travel experience strictly only with pics. No offence dont mind if you dont have the pics, Say us your experience. Also please do mention the no.of kms of each place. For ex Kottayam - Madurai xxx kms , kottayam to kambam, kottayam to theni. etc.(if possible)
Also tell us the Vista you were driving is it Quadrajet. I guess it should be turbo. Because you havent said Vista Quadrajet
Old 26th November 2009, 14:39   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Hi magic waiting for your next set of travel experience strictly only with pics. No offence dont mind if you dont have the pics, Say us your experience. Also please do mention the no.of kms of each place. For ex Kottayam - Madurai xxx kms , kottayam to kambam, kottayam to theni. etc.(if possible)
Also tell us the Vista you were driving is it Quadrajet. I guess it should be turbo. Because you havent said Vista Quadrajet
Hey Rki, welcome to Tbhp, thanks for logging on to this thread. I would post some more pictures, but nothing would do justice to what eyes see. I drive a Vista turbo (TDI). Actually this is just my second car, i do have a Safari VX which crashed, i am just waiting for the total damage claim money from them so that i can buy a new one, till then Vista is my drive.Will surely post more with distances .
Old 26th November 2009, 14:54   #28
BHPian

Hey.... I am listening to you. Like i said, all your inputs and experiences are of great value to me and a lot of other people who would take this route sometime later. Keep going. And yes, please do let us know about the distances and time taken for covering them.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:20   #29
BHPian

Some more pictures enroute!

Hey i am trying to do the best with the pictures but the sad part is that since it was raining proper justice couldnt be done for the taking of photos, i hope you enjoy them. After this the photos and travelogues will come together! Enjoy them!Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos-image0352.jpg

Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos-image0351.jpg

Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos-image0354.jpg

Trip to Thekkady- Theni, Madurai with photos-image0356.jpg
Old 26th November 2009, 17:57   #30
BHPian

The pictures look good; especially the last one. Did you take them from your mobile ? Which model/make is it ?

And i forgot to ask one thing. Are there good/reliable fuelling stations on the way ? I am planning to fill it up before i start. But just in case...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks