Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2009, 15:47   #16
BHPian

Hi Krish,

Thanks for reading my posts.

If you put in a picture of yourself and your car probably I would recall. Or we may have missed each other. My Blue i10 is sort of difficult to miss anywhere and you would have certainly noticed when you saw my pictures.

Guess I need to order some Team-BHP stickers before my next sortie and get into the habit of looking for one on cars I come across while travelling. It would be great to meet and talk to some BHPians on the way.

Last edited by Roameo : 18th October 2009 at 15:52. Reason: correction
Old 18th October 2009, 16:19   #17
BHPian

Krish,

Saw your pics in your thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tz-crdi-5.html

My car was parked right next to where you parked. Mine isn't there, so guess we missed each other. You too would have certainly noticed my car it were there. It is too blue to be missed and forgotten .

Your post too is very interesting and your pictures simply stunning. I also notice you live in beautiful surroundings and lots of nice places to drive all around.

Last edited by Roameo : 18th October 2009 at 16:21. Reason: correction
Old 18th October 2009, 19:24   #18
BHPian

It seems like we missed each other. I met another T-bhpian at the place and he was on an Esteem (shade of pink). He had the stickers all over the car and so we met. I think the stickers help finding out like minded people.

Waiting for further episodes of your mega-serial travelogue
Old 19th October 2009, 09:48   #19
Team-BHP Support

Very entertaining travelogue Roameo, but it is crawling in low gear (4L?). Faster updates please...
Old 19th October 2009, 11:20   #20
BHPian

Roameo, good , but i would defenitely agree with the remark of Samurai sir, where he has mentioned that its going slow!
Old 19th October 2009, 12:08   #21
BHPian

Sorry, friends. Will try to pick up speed.
Old 19th October 2009, 13:23   #22
BHPian

A Drive to Jog Memories

The following day after savouring a late traditional breakfast of 'Undi' with chutney and potato curry for accompaniment, we bid goodbye to Kaneena and left for Jog at 10am.

Roameo on the Emerald Route-undi-small.jpg

We headed for Teerthahalli and after enquiring with a few locals took the road to Sagara through Ripponpet and Anandapuram, a route of about 100 kms or so. It was once more a perfect setting for a cheerful drive. The sun was mild and pleasant whenever the rolling clouds thought it fit to allow him the freedom of an occasional peep.The roads were inviting with little traffic on them.

Roameo on the Emerald Route-near-teerthahalli-medium.jpg

After a decade and score of years, I experienced landscapes that seemed frozen in time and far removed from the taints of urbanism. A flood of memories from childhood were evoked as we drove past the quaint little towns,village shops, verdant fields,the cool lakes and ponds, plantations and woods.

Roameo on the Emerald Route-teerthahalli-medium.jpg

Roameo on the Emerald Route-country-road-medium.jpg

Roameo on the Emerald Route-village-shops-medium.jpg

Roameo on the Emerald Route-fields-medium.jpg

Roameo on the Emerald Route-lake-medium.jpg

Roameo on the Emerald Route-straight-drive-medium.jpg

Seven years of my childhood and school days were spent in the small towns of Payannur and Kanhangad ( the latter, about 10km from the famous Bekal fort) in Kerala where my father was posted as a bank officer and where I experienced the delights of an unhurried and care free life, often off roading with my cronies in the countryside on our Raleigh and Hero bicyles.

While I then longed to escape the confines of this little town to see the world outside and found the glamour of city lights more alluring, I was soon to discover what I would be missing for probably the rest of my life. Dad was transferred to New Delhi the year I passed my high school exams and we moved with him to a fast and furious world.

Any suggestion of moving our life to even a semi-rural setting is met with disdain by Sonny and my wife. While they would not mind a few days of break in such places, the city they declare is their prefered choice for dwelling by any stretch of the imagination. Alas, I have little choice in the matter and to paraphase an old saying, I am caught between a city apartment and a cottage in the deep green fields.

Last edited by Roameo : 19th October 2009 at 13:36. Reason: Change size of a picture
Roameo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2009, 13:39   #23
BHPian

Hello friend,

Following your every post with so much admiration, and we do expect more and more from you.
I know it is tough considering your other roles, but expectations are too high, blame it on your introduction thread.
Take your own time & post leisurely, waiting for something makes it more exciting.

Good luck
Old 19th October 2009, 14:13   #24
BHPian

Isnt it "Pundi" - those broken riceballs? I think thats what they are called

Nice pics. Keep them flowing at a faster pace.
Old 19th October 2009, 14:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its also called "aki kadbu" atleast we call it by that name

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Isnt it "Pundi" - those broken riceballs? I think thats what they are called

Nice pics. Keep them flowing at a faster pace.
Old 19th October 2009, 15:40   #26
BHPian

Guess they are known by all those three names:

Undi- It has a small depression on it. Konkani's call it by this name.

Pundi- it has no depression ( just a wild guess).

Akki Kadubu- when it has a filling in it , like coconut and jaggery mix.
Old 19th October 2009, 15:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice Travelogue Roameo , I liked the UNDI pics. I'm a Konkani but have stayed all my life in Delhi other than a stint for 3 years in karkala doing my Graduation.

Will wait for more pics/write ups from you
Old 19th October 2009, 16:36   #28
BHPian

Rendez-vous with the Pride of Sharavati

We stopped for lunch at a restaurant called 'Malanad Resort' a few kimlometers before Sagara. It is right beside the main road and it was a large hoarding and the building that attracted us. As we parked our car and entered, a fountain in the centre of the restaurant was suddenly activated as if to welcome us. We were the first guests of the day.The service took too long and was not worth the wait.The cool buttermilk was the only saving grace.

Roameo on the Emerald Route-malnad-resort-medium.jpg

Roameo on the Emerald Route-malnad-resort-window-medium.jpg

We reached Jog at 2.45pm. The roar of the falls reached us from a distance as we drove up to the gateway to the falls. The parking lot was full, but I managed to find a spot.

It was a stunning sight compared to the world's biggest man made waterfall we had seen in Singapore. It was the only big fall we had seen before Jog. Readers can imagine our reaction when we beheld the majesty and splendour of the Jog. I heard a tourist saying that this sight was nothing compared to his last visit when the falls were in flow. It took us a while for the awe to wane and get back to reality. We spent an hour admiring the graceful decent of the of four falls from the different viewing spots not withstanding the perpetual chatter of tourists around us trying in vain to drown the roar of the mighty Sharavati.

Roameo on the Emerald Route-jog-falls-1-large.jpg

We could see some people making their way down to the foot of the falls. There were quite a few bathing under the falls and we could hear their excited shreiks. I and Sonny were keen to go down but my wife didn't think it a good idea as it was beginning to get late. Our plan was to drive back to Theerthahalli and on to Agumbe to view the sunset. Soon dark, intimidating clouds started to roll in and it started drizzling. We changed plans and decided to find a place to spend the night at the earliest.

There was none available at Jog nor in the homestay a few kilometers on the way to Sagara and nor in a dilapilated government guest house on a hill next to a lake. We were informed it requires advance booking to stay at the British bungalow above the falls. It had stopped raining as suddenly as it had started and the Sun peeked out mockingly as if daring us to drive back to Teerthahalli. Upon second thoughts, I didn't take up the challege.

Roameo on the Emerald Route-view-bridge.jpg

As we drove on, the setting sun spread a magical glow to everything around. We stopped at a few places to capture the beauty of the moment in our memories and on film.

Roameo on the Emerald Route-jog-fields-way-medium.jpg

Roameo on the Emerald Route-lake-view.jpg

Roameo on the Emerald Route-jog-fields-way-2-medium.jpg

Roameo on the Emerald Route-cows.jpg

We reached Sagara at 5.45pm and after enquiring were directed to the Varadashree Lodge which we were given to understand is the best accomodation available here. My friend Indian Ranger had stayed there with his family the previous week and at Rs.375 for a room, he had found it value for the price. It turned out that our timing was perfect to the last minute,because we got the last room available.They were running full due to the long Dussera weekend holiday.

As we entered our room, the clouds burst, sending down a heavy downpour that lasted a few hours
Roameo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2009, 16:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Vishy..am glad to go through your travalogue.Two things amazed me:
1. Billy's height
2. Jog falls
Your cars looks pristine and seems to have developped a good rapport with you on all these long excursions.
Way to go.
My whole family enjoyed the pics and Billy's height is an amazement to all of us.
Old 19th October 2009, 17:48   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
My whole family enjoyed the pics and Billy's height is an amazement to all of us.
Thanks,Ramki. Yeah, he is now taller than his mom and won't be long before he matches my height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Nice Travelogue Roameo , I liked the UNDI pics. I'm a Konkani but have stayed all my life in Delhi other than a stint for 3 years in karkala doing my Graduation.
Thanks for following my travelogue. BTW, I am a Konkani too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks