Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 00:59   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The old two laned highways with trees on both sides had a real charm about it. I really miss that in the GQ.
The reason why I took the sasvad route to satara can be well appreciated by people if they see your photos showing the two lane highway up here!
You said it MX6. The two laned highways with trees flanking both sides is really breathtaking. I love driving on those kind of roads. There is never a single dull moment!!!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 16th May 2010 at 01:16.
Old 16th May 2010, 01:31   #557
Senior - BHPian

One pic for you MX6!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-highway_with_trees_all_around.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 16th May 2010 at 01:45.
Old 16th May 2010, 01:54   #558
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that snap CL. Here's one from my side to you.

This is the kind of road I really loved driving on. And yes, it is in Tamil Nadu. Click on image to view full size!
An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-woods.jpg
Old 16th May 2010, 10:52   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Thanks for that snap CL. Here's one from my side to you.

This is the kind of road I really loved driving on. And yes, it is in Tamil Nadu. Click on image to view full size!
Attachment 349064
Hey thanks, MX6. I liked the pic a lot. I am sure, it was a terrific experience driving there!
Old 17th May 2010, 09:45   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Hey thanks, MX6. I liked the pic a lot. I am sure, it was a terrific experience driving there!

Hmm..wonderful! and thanks to both of you.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:50   #561
Team-BHP Support

The only point of driving through Salem to Ooty rather than Mysore is that you miss out on Bandipur.
That is some thing which would be very difficult to let go off!
Old 17th May 2010, 10:58   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only point of driving through Salem to Ooty rather than Mysore is that you miss out on Bandipur.
That is some thing which would be very difficult to let go off!
You are not mentioning about the condition of the roads near Gundlupet and the millions of bumps on the roads after Mysore! Has the condition improved? If so, please enlighten me!

What is the average speed one can maintain on Mysore route? 40 kmph or more?

Since we drove through Bandipur once, we decided to avoid it. We might have had reached there after the curfew started.

Salem to Annur is a terrific route. Superfast!

@Longdrivelover, thanks for your comments.

Coming up, The Majestic Ooty, as beautiful as a bride!
Old 17th May 2010, 11:19   #563
Team-BHP Support

Roads have improved tremendously. Freshly all the way on the NH212 till Gundlupet.
Then the Bandipur stretch was always good. Mysore-Nanjangud is the only issue with OK roads.

But yes there are bumps on the Bangalore-Mysore road. Since I do this regularly, I know where they are!
Also I never do night driving. So its easy to handle. (Just slow down at every village; I know its irritating)

But all in all its beautiful all the way till Ooty through Bandipur (with bumps discounted!)

Bandipur section; since its forest area, you will find bumps.

Last edited by ampere : 17th May 2010 at 11:21.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:08   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But yes there are bumps on the Bangalore-Mysore road. Since I do this regularly, I know where they are!
Also I never do night driving. So its easy to handle. (Just slow down at every village; I know its irritating)

But all in all its beautiful all the way till Ooty through Bandipur (with bumps discounted!)

Bandipur section; since its forest area, you will find bumps.
Sadly, we don't know where those bumps are! And that makes a potential drive three times more dangerous!!!

Since we do night driving 80% of the time, we did not want to take any chances, as 90% of the bumps were carefully disguised, the last time we visited.

Those bumps are constructed so unscientifically, that the vehicle has to come to a full stop, before attempting them. They are not at all smooth! It is so irritating!

And I say this again, hats off to all Bangy guys who bear all this and still drive to Ooty cheerfully!
Old 17th May 2010, 13:50   #565
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Some like bumps, some dont, Please do not let the bumps take away the fun,

I am waiting for the beautiful bride..
Old 17th May 2010, 14:46   #566
BHPian

CL - Ooty is cold in the night. Why do you still need the AC on when climbing the mountains ? After Kallar, most cars would turn off the AC when climbing.

Mx6 - the nice high contrast image of the road shows the road as if it was not tarred.
Old 17th May 2010, 15:53   #567
Senior - BHPian

Day 3.... The Magnificent Ooty....

Day 3…….

We woke up only by 10 am on Day 3 of our journey. We had travelled 1397 kilometres from Pune to reach our dream destination. We were tired, but one look at Ooty’s natural beauty acted as a health tonic and we cheered up in no time.

Soon we were on our way to meet my sister and bro’. We reached their hotel after a ten minute drive. They were thrilled to see us. We spent a lot of time just chatting up with them.

We were awestruck by the breathtaking beauty of Ooty. She was as beautiful as a bride and words cannot explain what we saw!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-1-beautiful_ooty_lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-2-beautiful_ooty_lake_and_brilliant_sky.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-3-boat_house.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-4-parking_lot.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-5-boating_in_the_magnificent_lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-6-beautiful_ooty_lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-7-ooty_lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-8-beautiful_ooty_lake_and_sky.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-9-lake_in_ooty.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-10-beautiful_ooty_lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-11-sky_in_ooty.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-12-beautiful_ooty_lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-13-a_resort.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-14-beautiful_sky.jpg

Here are some pics of the travellers!

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-15-my_sister_and_brotherinlaw.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-16-a_happy_group.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-17-view_of_the_lake.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-18-chevy_couple_with_brother.jpg

An incredible road trip to Velankanni, Kodaikanal and Ooty-19-thats_us.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 17th May 2010 at 15:55.
Old 17th May 2010, 16:27   #568
Team-BHP Support

CL,

Did you increase the contrast of some of the snaps?
They look extremely bright.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:01   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
CL - Ooty is cold in the night. Why do you still need the AC on when climbing the mountains ? After Kallar, most cars would turn off the AC when climbing.

Mx6 - the nice high contrast image of the road shows the road as if it was not tarred.
I usually drive with AC throughout. I have never switched off the AC even when driving through ghats. A very old habit!

Quote:
CL,

Did you increase the contrast of some of the snaps?
They look extremely bright.
I took these snaps at 1 pm. The summer sun was too bright. I had to make the pics look a bit dark and colourful through in-camera settings and some post processing.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 17th May 2010 at 17:16.
Old 17th May 2010, 17:34   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
You are not mentioning about the condition of the roads near Gundlupet and the millions of bumps on the roads after Mysore! Has the condition improved? If so, please enlighten me!

What is the average speed one can maintain on Mysore route? 40 kmph or more?

Since we drove through Bandipur once, we decided to avoid it. We might have had reached there after the curfew started.
C_L the route from Mysore to Ooty is superb. It has been completely relaid and it is very smooth. Speeds are decent. Day time, you can keep at 80kph and night times 120kph is no issue. There are no bumps the entire stretch from Mysore to Ooty except for those inside the Bandipur/Mudumalai National Park stretch.

and next time, dont bypass Bangalore. Would like to meet the dynamic duo in person.

Most Viewed