Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 13:07   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
You have mentioned 3 routes from Thekkady ( Kumily) to BLR. Now, the first one is thro' Dindigul and is a well used one. Can u please let me know the route directions / distances of the other two routes.
How is the road condition thro' Wayanad / Ooty / Nilambur & also the distance ?
Rajesh,
What I had mentioned was about Kerala in general.

But for Thekkady the Dindigul route makes perfect sense.
Also it can done in a single day.
For the other two, you need to plan it out.

- If you plan to visit North Kerala, you can take NH17 and deviate to visit Waynad. And then travel back through Gundlupet Mysore etc.
- The other route is via Guruvayur Pattambi Perinthalmanna, Nilambur - Gudalur (ooty deviation from here if wanted) Gundlupet -Mysore etc. This typically is used by folks who want to visit Guruvaur on the way back. Or for folks who want to visit Ooty on the way back.

Point to note: Both the above routes go through Bandipur forest which is closed in the night. Hence you need to plan. If you want to visit Waynad/Ooty on the way back, best is to go through these routes.

BTW Guruvayur route can also be customized to visit Waynad (possible through Gudalur/Nilambur).

Hope this gives you more options But during monsoons, lots landslides can happen. Please also take that into account.
Old 5th April 2010, 13:31   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Rajesh,
What I had mentioned was about Kerala in general.

But for Thekkady the Dindigul route makes perfect sense.
Also it can done in a single day.
For the other two, you need to plan it out.

- If you plan to visit North Kerala, you can take NH17 and deviate to visit Waynad. And then travel back through Gundlupet Mysore etc.
- The other route is via Guruvayur Pattambi Perinthalmanna, Nilambur - Gudalur (ooty deviation from here if wanted) Gundlupet -Mysore etc. This typically is used by folks who want to visit Guruvaur on the way back. Or for folks who want to visit Ooty on the way back.

Point to note: Both the above routes go through Bandipur forest which is closed in the night. Hence you need to plan. If you want to visit Waynad/Ooty on the way back, best is to go through these routes.

BTW Guruvayur route can also be customized to visit Waynad (possible through Gudalur/Nilambur).

Hope this gives you more options But during monsoons, lots landslides can happen. Please also take that into account.
Thanks ampere for the detailed response to my query. By this account, i think the best option for me is to take the Cumbum - Dindigul - BLR route as i do not have the cushion of time and have to make the return journey in a day's time.

Regarding the other two routes, exploring them would need detail plan as you have suggested and maybe some other time i would do that.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:03   #93
BHPian

hi dreamdiesel,

i am planning a trip to Munnar soon. Can u please help me with the present road conditions between Udumalpet to Munnar.

1. Is it okay to drive with family on this route?
2. How many hairpin bends along the way?
3. Is there any refreshments along the way or should i carry food stuffs for my baby.
4. How about the road conditions? Can i expect huge potholes or is it in drivable condition.

Help much appreciated

FYI: I'll be driving in my M800 with family.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:48   #94
Team-BHP Support

1. Is it okay to drive with family on this route?
No Issues at all. Just that plan to be there before evening. Also take into account the resort distance from Munnar. (It may not be in the town, hence you will have to drive that much extra.)

2. How many hairpin bends along the way?
Hardly any. Its easy to drive, but what is difficult is the distance. (90Km). But roads are very twisty.

3. Is there any refreshments along the way or should i carry food stuffs for my baby.
For baby, please carry everything. You wont get anything till you hit the resort. At Marayoor you can expect tea coffee and the like.

4. How about the road conditions? Can i expect huge potholes or is it in drivable condition.
Roads are OK. I would say decent. A pot hole hear and there.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:01   #95
BHPian

ampere, great to see your reply. Would you recommend any best hotel for stay where sight seeing spots are easily accessible with good food. Also please mention the charges for hotel per day.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:33   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
ampere, great to see your reply. Would you recommend any best hotel for stay where sight seeing spots are easily accessible with good food. Also please mention the charges for hotel per day.
See DD's post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1826196

Also I would say Sienna Village. It was very good and VFM. About 18K for 3 nights (but that was in winter). Peak season rates may be higher.
Old 9th April 2010, 09:36   #97
Senior - BHPian

Hairpins - Its 3 if I remember correctly, but there is enough room for a truck to turn comfortably.. Tricky part is the narrow stretch in Chinnar with deep valley on one side and mountain on the other.. You can expect KSRTS buses and trucks coming fast with no honking..

Stay - Try Tea County - this is in the town and is run by KTDC.. Welcome to Heritage Munnar - They have some excellent estate bungalows
Old 9th April 2010, 10:23   #98
BHPian

Thanks gadadhar, will give it a try. I hope online accommodation booking is available.
Old 30th September 2012, 19:44   #99
BHPian

Re: Bangalore – Munnar /Thekkady /Kochi in Swift D..

Hi DD,
Its a wonderful travelogue with great narration!

I am taking Post 16 as reference for my munnar trip that am doing in mid oct!

Thanks mate!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks