Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2023, 16:11   #766
BHPian

Re: Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
How is the fog condition currently on this stretch? At which time is fog the worst?
From my experience, the worst fog is between 5 am to about 8 am
amartya_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:22   #767
BHPian

Hello everyone! I did Dehradun-Deoghar (JH) road journey and back last week. From Dehradun to Deoghar journey I took Haridwar - Rudrapur - Kichha- Shahjahanpur - Sitapur - Lucknow (alternate route to Noida - Agra - Lucknow which was suggested by Gmaps), this whole route was 4- lane and can be rated above average to good. It took us 10.5 hrs with breakfast and lunch breaks till Lucknow entry and saved us approx. 1000 Rs. in tolls.
From Lucknow took the Purvanchal Expressway till Azamgarh and then Gazipur - Durganti road to join GT Road which took us 2 hrs 50 mins. GT Road (NH -19) is under construction and there were several diversions and it took almost 7 hrs with 2 meal breaks till Dumri where we left the NH-19 to join Giridih Road.

In return leg I tried the route being suggested by Gmaps to join Purvanchal E.way through Bihar with inputs from daily travelers through that side. Started at 6:30 AM and took Deoghar - Jamui - Sheikhpur - Sarmera where we joined SH-78 till Bihta. SH-19 is approx 120 Kms out of which 70-75 KMs is excellent, howver rest of the road is under construction and was the most difficult part of the journey. After Koilwar Bridgre till Buxar it was freshly laid 6-Lanes road and we were able to join Purvanchal E.way at 2:15 PM. We reached Agra at 10:30 PM after a total journey of approx. 1100 Kms. Traversing Lucknow took 1 hr and I think a Ring Road/Bypass similar to Agra can make a huge difference.
From Agra took YEW and then Meerut Eway to Dehradun.
To conclude, for people traveling to Deoghar and nearby towns, the road through Bihar makes more sense as its shorter and saves almost 2-2.5 hrs!
Rahkehs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 21:06   #768

Hello everyone, I will be travelling from Kolkata to Delhi at the end of this month. Although we would take a 2-night break at Lucknow to attend a family function, I still don't think I would be able to make it from Kolkata to Lucknow in a day, especially considering I would be travelling with elderly parents and 2 infant kids. So, I plan a night halt at Varanasi to keep things simple. Kindly suggest a good night's accommodation which is not very costly and close to the highway. I don't want to navigate the narrow Varanasi lanes with busy traffic which Google Maps might suggest in an XUV 7OO.
Old 14th April 2023, 21:52   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princegaurav View Post
Hello everyone, I will be travelling from Kolkata to Delhi at the end of this month. Although we would take a 2-night break at Lucknow to attend a family function, I still don't think I would be able to make it from Kolkata to Lucknow in a day, especially considering I would be travelling with elderly parents and 2 infant kids. So, I plan a night halt at Varanasi to keep things simple. Kindly suggest a good night's accommodation which is not very costly and close to the highway. I don't want to navigate the narrow Varanasi lanes with busy traffic which Google Maps might suggest in an XUV 7OO.
Hotel Ramada Katesar, Varanasi. This is very close to NH-19 and is also as very clean and safe property.

Drive safe!
amartya_bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 07:18   #770
BHPian

So far all trips to North India via Noida / Delhi I did , I took either Kanpur route or Raeberaily-Lucknow route . This time , I intend to take Purvanchal expressway directly from Aurangabad. Which connecting road is best whilst connecting from Aurangabad to Purvanchal expressway- Durganti road via Mohania or via Buxar or any other route ? How are the chances of facing congestion and truck traffic? Also will it be eventually better than via Kanpur route ? Will leave Aurangabad at 8:30 am ( either from Hotel Vaishnavi Heights or Gargee Surya Vihar ) .

Last edited by brownianmotion : 16th April 2023 at 07:19. Reason: To be more specific
Old 16th April 2023, 09:38   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownianmotion View Post
So far all trips to North India via Noida / Delhi I did , I took either Kanpur route or Raeberaily-Lucknow route . This time , I intend to take Purvanchal expressway directly from Aurangabad. Which connecting road is best whilst connecting from Aurangabad to Purvanchal expressway- Durganti road via Mohania or via Buxar or any other route ? How are the chances of facing congestion and truck traffic? Also will it be eventually better than via Kanpur route ? Will leave Aurangabad at 8:30 am ( either from Hotel Vaishnavi Heights or Gargee Surya Vihar ) .
I recently took Durgawanti Route to join GT Road, started at 6:00 AM from Azamgarh and it took 2 hrs and 40 mins for 130 KMs to join NH-19. The Road passes from some villages, bazaars and is crowded at some places but tarffic is less. You may take this route, it’s decent!
Rahkehs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 17:59   #772
Senior - BHPian

To the Gentlemen & Ladies who frequently do Kolkata to Delhi by road, I have a question:

If doing Kolkata to Delhi by Purvanchal E'way - ALE - YEW, where would you recommend / preferred night halts? Assume travelling with family, so a safe and clean place is desirable.
Or should one stick to the old GT Road throughout?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Best,
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 17:21   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

If doing Kolkata to Delhi by Purvanchal E'way - ALE - YEW, where would you recommend / preferred night halts? Assume travelling with family, so a safe and clean place is desirable.
Or should one stick to the old GT Road throughout?
Hi

I have traveled this portion several times over the past few months, and all the times I have stayed at either Lucknow or Varanasi depending on which route I take. If I take the Purvanchal-ALE, it is Lucknow and if it is NH-19, then I stop at Varanasi. You can find some route details in Post # 34 of this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...esolved-3.html (Issues with my brand-new Audi A4 (on cold start only) | EDIT: Now resolved)

My experience has been that there are no decent 'stay with family and kids' type places once you cross Asansol and proceed towards Delhi, whichever of the above routes you take. It has to be either Lucknow or Varanasi, also all the roads to get onto Purvanchal from NH-19 (I traveled through Buxar but there are other connections thorugh Aurangabad, Mohania) are equally miserable. Ping me if you need any other details.
amartya_bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 17:21   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya_bhp View Post
Hi

I have traveled this portion several times over the past few months, and all the times I have stayed at either Lucknow or Varanasi depending on which route
Thanks a ton for the inputs. Same was conveyed to me by other frequent travellers too.
I've also decided to break journey at Varanasi, proceed onwards to Lucknow and subsequently connect to DEL via ALE and YEW.
Thanks once again!
Old 30th April 2023, 17:41   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Thanks a ton for the inputs. Same was conveyed to me by other frequent travellers too.
I've also decided to break journey at Varanasi, proceed onwards to Lucknow and subsequently connect to DEL via ALE and YEW.
Thanks once again!
Slight detour but Bodhgaya has decent options.
Bodhgaya, Varanasi, Lucknow and Agra are really the options for stay with family.

Ramada Katesar as mentioned, is a good option.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 21:13   #776
BHPian

Hotel Gargee Surya Vihar near Aurangabad is a very good option for those taking the Purvanchal Expressway.
It is bang on the highway and has its own parking. Safe for families too.
anantpoddar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 12:57   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
Hotel Gargee Surya Vihar near Aurangabad is a very good option for those taking the Purvanchal Expressway.
A few months ago, I had taken a pit stop for snacks and a bio-break at Gargee Surya Vihar, on the recommendation of some people. I was travelling solo. I had not liked the place all that much and, on subsequent trips, skipped taking any breaks between Durgapur and home (Allahabad). I need to travel this route again in a few weeks, and am considering a detour to BodhGaya only because of its stay options, especially because my mother will be with me.

You can consider breaking at Varanasi, as suggested by other on this thread. Several safe options there.

Last edited by A_Basu : 1st May 2023 at 12:58.
A_Basu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 16:19   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantpoddar View Post
Things may have improved, but I went into this place in 2021 (or was it 2022) and came out. The layout is lavish, but cleanliness was an issue. There was also a local group drinking. I did not find it suitable for my family. Went on to Bodhgaya for much better options.

Last edited by chinkara : 1st May 2023 at 16:20.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 21:20   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya_bhp View Post
Hi

I have traveled this portion several times over the past few months, and all the times I have stayed at either Lucknow or Varanasi depending on which route I take. If I take the Purvanchal-ALE, it is Lucknow and if it is NH-19, then I stop at Varanasi. You can find some route details in Post # 34 of this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...esolved-3.html (Issues with my brand-new Audi A4 (on cold start only) | EDIT: Now resolved)

My experience has been that there are no decent 'stay with family and kids' type places once you cross Asansol and proceed towards Delhi, whichever of the above routes you take. It has to be either Lucknow or Varanasi, also all the roads to get onto Purvanchal from NH-19 (I traveled through Buxar but there are other connections thorugh Aurangabad, Mohania) are equally miserable. Ping me if you need any other details.

Sir Please try Wedlock Greens , Vivana Hotel on NH 2/19 location is after Crossing Govindpur in Jharkhand. They have excellent rooms and pool side restaurants and ample parking. Suitable for family kids and all.
Old 7th May 2023, 23:36   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Slight detour but Bodhgaya has decent options.
Bodhgaya, Varanasi, Lucknow and Agra are really the options for stay with family.

Ramada Katesar as mentioned, is a good option.
Yes, these are the best options - locations. If going to Bodhgaya, have to come back to join NH 19 and then from Varanasi can take a detour to join into PEW. I tried going from Bodhgaya to Buxar to join PEW at the start - but turned out to be a big mistake to travel within Bihar outside NHs. Took about 5 hrs for 170 kms to enter into UP. One of the worst roads i had travelled and a nightmare too . While the Varanasi route will also take about 7 hrs atleast to reach Sultanpur to join with PEW, i would still recommend that.
Karvel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks